The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > DC Comics Films

View Poll Results: Do you like the Donner Films because of Nostalgia?
Yes, I was a kid when I first saw them. 6 10.17%
No, I like them because I think they're good movies. 31 52.54%
I liked them as a kid and still like them now, but not because of nostalgia 22 37.29%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-19-2016, 03:31 PM   #101
The Batman
The Dark Knight

Default Re: Do you like Superman: The Movie and/or Superman 2 because of nostalgia?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahran Ramsus View Post
I actually liked that about the ending of SMII. Superman couldn't beat the three of them in a straight fight, nor should he have when they had the same powers and outnumbered him 3 to 1. So he had to outthink them. That he used Luthor to do it made it even better.

One of the more satisfying conclusions of any CBM.
Agreed. Not a Donner film, but I also liked how he used his smarts to defeat the computer in Superman 3 as well.

Old 09-19-2016, 04:04 PM   #102
Mace Dolex
Powerful User

Default Re: Do you like Superman: The Movie and/or Superman 2 because of nostalgia?

I voted the 3rd option, I consider them really great movies, despite the few campy elements that I wasn't aware of as a kid as I didn't know what "campy" meant.

Superman II: The Donner Cut is nice as a curious aside and it's awesome to see more Christopher Reeve footage but it's use of stand-in doubles, unfinished SFX and the Niagra Falls test footage make it more like a documentary rather than a finished film.

A few of the Marvel Superheroes are somewhat niche characters that aren't extremely versatile, thus they don't have a lot of longevity potential. For example, Namor is a water guy, Silver Surfer is a space guy, Dr. Strange is a magic guy, and so on.
Mace Dolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 04:20 PM   #103
Iron Fist
Side-Kick

I like them because I think they're good movies. Well, the first one anyway. Not big on Superman II, but Superman: The Movie would be pretty much perfect if it wasn't for the turn back time stuff at the end. Still great though. Christopher Reeve is the best.

Iron Fist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 12:13 AM   #104
Lantern Venom
Your Mom's #1 Hypester

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoganGambit87 View Post
i dont like it period i am one of the few that dont like the christopher reeve superman movies man of steel was the first superman movie i really liked
I agree, despite that not being the most popular opinion. After Superman Returns, I thought I'd never see a live-action Superman movie that was genuinely exciting. MOS finally checked that box for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
Agreed. Not a Donner film, but I also liked how he used his smarts to defeat the computer in Superman 3 as well.
Had WB ever made an entire film with the tone of the junkyard scene/computer battle, I'm sure I would have been a fan of it. The Supergirl episode "Falling" was inspired by the corrupted Supes from SM3, and it was a fine story.

Lantern Venom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 07:36 AM   #105
Luke234
Banned User

Christopher Reeve was a hero of mine after reading his book after his accident. But the movies are campy. Same reason I'm not surprised people enjoy Marvel especially kids but it's just not for me.

Luke234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 07:39 AM   #106
Luke234
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lantern Venom View Post
I agree, despite that not being the most popular opinion. After Superman Returns, I thought I'd never see a live-action Superman movie that was genuinely exciting. MOS finally checked that box for me.

Had WB ever made an entire film with the tone of the junkyard scene/computer battle, I'm sure I would have been a fan of it. The Supergirl episode "Falling" was inspired by the corrupted Supes from SM3, and it was a fine story.
I regard MOS as the best cbm ever made. I know that angers people when people like it but I did.

Luke234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 08:31 AM   #107
BH/HHH
You Are My World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke234 View Post
I regard MOS as the best cbm ever made. I know that angers people when people like it but I did.
It's my favourite modern superhero bar none, I think it's damn close to perfection

Old 09-29-2016, 05:26 AM   #108
Lantern Venom
Your Mom's #1 Hypester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke234 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BH/HHH View Post
It's my favourite modern superhero bar none, I think it's damn close to perfection
One of the reasons I prefer MOS to the Donner flicks is that MOS makes it clear that the DCEU Superman is an alien met with fear and skepticism by humanity. Donner's Supes was met with acceptance too early for my taste, although I must admit that plenty of Pre-Crisis Superman comic stories seem to reflect that sentiment among humans as well. Siegel and Shuster may have been fine with Superman evolving to be this way (they were probably just glad that he paid off), but it doesn't seem to me that he was meant to be readily embraced by humanity when he was first conceptualized.

Lantern Venom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 05:33 PM   #109
The Batman
The Dark Knight

39 people in the poll results voted that nostalgia is ultimately not a factor in their enjoying or continued enjoyment of STM and SII.

Only 5 have voted that they like it due to nostalgia.

Like many theories nowadays, the whole "Rose colored glasses" argument is seemingly not as prevalent as some would like to suggest. It doesn't even need saying, really, as no film would remain widely revered 38 years later due to nostalgia.

Old 10-25-2016, 05:24 PM   #110
Mandon Knight
Side-Kick

3rd choice.

Mandon Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 01:40 AM   #111
Osiris-Rex
Head-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lantern Venom View Post
One of the reasons I prefer MOS to the Donner flicks is that MOS makes it clear that the DCEU Superman is an alien met with fear and skepticism by humanity. Donner's Supes was met with acceptance too early for my taste, although I must admit that plenty of Pre-Crisis Superman comic stories seem to reflect that sentiment among humans as well. Siegel and Shuster may have been fine with Superman evolving to be this way (they were probably just glad that he paid off), but it doesn't seem to me that he was meant to be readily embraced by humanity when he was first conceptualized.
Frankly I think the best version of Superman is TV's Supergirl. Not their TV Superman, Supergirl herself is the best version of Superman. She combines the sunshine and rainbows of the Donner movies with the fear and mistrust of aliens among us brought out in Man of Steel. Anyone who watched Monday's episode can see what I mean. Where-as the Donner movies went too far one way, and Man of Steel too far the other way, I think Supergirl has found the right mix of light and dark.

Osiris-Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 04:56 PM   #112
Mandon Knight
Side-Kick

This is an excellent doc/review/deconstruction of the Reeve era...and the first's impact

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bitnitV078U, aside from the narrater's views on BvS, his thoughts & views are why it's my favourite film ever, and I like the 'Read my Mind' flying sequence too. It's a 48 minute watch though, so be warned.

Old 11-10-2016, 05:12 PM   #113
Alex Murphy
Banned User

I like them because of nostalgia and because I think they're good movies, but very flawed ones.

Alex Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 03:37 PM   #114
Spider-Aziz
Death Match Taunt

Nostalgia is a factor, but it's not a big one.
They are good fun movies.

YOUTUBE
To Quit or not to Quit, that is the question.

The internet: You formed your personal opinion and liked something popular? You are part of the herd. You like something new and unpopular? Cult of the new.
Spider-Aziz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 10:45 AM   #115
Doctor Octopus
Banned User

No they great because they great movies. Better than DCEU version of Superman.

Doctor Octopus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 04:01 PM   #116
Mandon Knight
Side-Kick

The first, I can watch and get the same sense of enjoyment & wonder time after time as I did from the first time I saw it as a child at the cinema. The sheer magic of it. I think only Back to the Future for me, has the same 'repeat' reaction value as Superman (1978).

Old 12-04-2016, 08:09 PM   #117
The Batman
The Dark Knight

Not only did STM top Watchmojo's "Top Ten classic Superhero movies" list...

It was the runner up for their All Time list as well.

Old 12-04-2016, 10:02 PM   #118
KRYPTON INC.
Side-Kick

It deserves it. I am not sure some of the younger Hypesters understand what a watershed film it was for multiple reasons.

He truly proved that every person has the potential to be a force for good in this life. So anyone that reads this, do me a favor... Call your parents.

http://www.tobecontinuedafanboypodcast.com/TBC New Episode: THE LAST JEDI TRAILER, JUSTICE LEAGUE TRAILER and THOR RAGNAROK clips.
KRYPTON INC. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 08:51 AM   #119
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

I wasn't a kid when I first saw Superman: The Movie. It impressed me. Even with it's hokiness. Now that I have hindsight for eve that I can say that the first Superman film had some of the best character work the character has ever received. It was the first time someone was fully invested in making everything about Superman believable, and they did so very well. Sometimes people imagine that the late seventies was this idyllic time where a goody-two-shoes was normal and instantly acceptable, but even the text of the movie is about how no one can believe a guy like Superman is the real deal.

The other films, Superman II included failed to really capture me like that. But that first one? Brilliance. If anything, nostalgia elevates from the film that most closely captures the essence of the character to the ONLY thing that has ever captured the essence of the character.

DrCosmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 11:02 AM   #120
famicommander
Side-Kick

Superman: the Movie is still good.

Neither cut of Superman II was ever good.

Nor Superman III, IV, or Returns.

famicommander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 02:00 PM   #121
Drizzle
Ah, Goldblum, ah, Smash.

No, I like them because they're genuinely good movies. I was maybe 15 the first time I saw them so I didn't watch them as a young kid, not much nostalgia there.

Drizzle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 02:41 PM   #122
Darepool
King of Cinema

I love the first film tremendously. Still gives me the tingles.

Old 12-06-2016, 02:56 AM   #123
Superchan
Side-Kick

Superman the movie is the very definition of a classic, this is the film that inspired the likes of Bryan Singer, Sam Raimi and even the great Chris Nolan himself and while that doesn't mean that everyone should love or like this film it most certainly means that people should respect the film and not dismiss it as some outdated 70s camp.

Superchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 10:11 AM   #124
GreasyPop
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
39 people in the poll results voted that nostalgia is ultimately not a factor in their enjoying or continued enjoyment of STM and SII.

Only 5 have voted that they like it due to nostalgia.

Like many theories nowadays, the whole "Rose colored glasses" argument is seemingly not as prevalent as some would like to suggest. It doesn't even need saying, really, as no film would remain widely revered 38 years later due to nostalgia.
Why would anyone freely admit to liking a film based on nostalgia? That's just asking for people to dismiss you out of hand. People want their opinions heard and respected. Saying you love something because you loved it as kid isn't going to do that. And to be Frank, saying you like something simply of the nostalgia is a good enough reason to not take someone seriously. There is nothing wrong with nostalgia as long as you can put it into context. But if you blindly love and defend something just because of nostalgia and ignore any and all criticisms...well, that's not a good thing.

GreasyPop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 10:51 AM   #125
MessiahDecoy123
Noble Savage

If it was mostly nostalgia then Superman 4 would be well regarded also.

STM is a groundbreaking classic. This iconic dialogue, music and scenes, Reeve's performance, the flawless origin story, the optimism that captures Superman's character, etc.

It doesn't need rose colored glasses.

MessiahDecoy123 is online now   Reply With Quote