The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman > The Dark Knight Rises

Old 01-15-2016, 06:59 PM   #26
The Joker
The Clown Prince of Crime

Default Re: The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - Part 156

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatLobsterRises View Post
I think that as the first moment where you were like, "holy **** this Batman is more hardcore than anything we've seen in the movies before"
And it was. One of many reasons why Bale's Batman is best.

- The Joker
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 07:14 PM   #27
The Shape
In the shadows

Quote:
I friggin' love Bale's scowl in that scene. That scene is so over the top, but it's classic. I think that as the first moment where you were like, "holy **** this Batman is more hardcore than anything we've seen in the movies before", and yet it felt like such a classic comic book Batman moment.
Yup, I had that exact feeling when watching BB in theaters for the first time. So great.

To this day, the absolute best movie-going experience I've ever had (and possibly ever will have) was watching the Batman/Joker interrogation scene during the first midnight showing of The Dark Knight surrounded by a sell-out crowd.

That scene was like everything I'd ever wanted to see in a Batman movie to the point that I couldn't even believe I was watching it, and thinking back on it now, it was almost like an out-of-body experience for me. Goosebumps, chills, and a stupid grin on my face during the whole scene. As Batman beat down The Joker and he just laughed (which was by far Heath's best Joker laugh in the film), I'll never forget that I grabbed my girlfriend's arm and let out this weird little nervous laugh. It was almost like my body was going through a sensory overload and didn't know how to react.

And while my eyes were fixed on the screen the entire time, as it was physically impossible for me to look away (I probably would have stayed and continued to watch even if a fire broke out in the theater), I could almost feel everyone in the audience around me staring intensely at the screen in awe, dying to know what would happen next.

It's a good possibility that this moment was the absolute peak of my life's movie theater experiences, which is both awesome and really sad at the same time.

Old 01-15-2016, 07:19 PM   #28
The Shape
In the shadows

Quote:
Originally Posted by BH/HHH View Post
I think I finally know why Begins is my favourite of the trilogy, it's not just because I like origin stories the best either. It's Gotham, it feels like something out of a comic book in this film. In the sequels it feels like any other City, but in this one it's dark, it's gritty, it's got a charm to it. I think it actually helped that they built parts of it in a studio. The only times I feel the same way in the sequel are scenes like the Joker chase scene or the Batman returns in Rises.
Yeah. I love the Gotham City from Batman '89 immensely, as well, but the Gotham in BB definitely also had that "Gotham feel" more than the sequels did.

Another thing that excites me about BvS is seeing how Snyder presents Gotham City, as I have little doubt that he'll similarly give the city that special, unique essence that separates Gotham from Metropolis and other real-life major cities.

Old 01-15-2016, 07:36 PM   #29
BH/HHH
You Are My World

Quote:
Originally Posted by theShape View Post
Yeah. I love the Gotham City from Batman '89 immensely, as well, but the Gotham in BB definitely also had that "Gotham feel" more than the sequels did.

Another thing that excites me about BvS is seeing how Snyder presents Gotham City, as I have little doubt that he'll similarly give the city that special, unique essence that separates Gotham from Metropolis and other real-life major cities.
Agreed 100%

Old 01-15-2016, 08:28 PM   #30
The Batman
The Dark Knight

I liked the Gotham City we saw in TDK. I think that making Gotham the stand in for Chicago made the actions of Batman and Joker much more palpable. You almost felt like this Bat-themed vigilante and this clown terrorist were actually duking it out in our world. IMO, the tension in, for example, the ferry scene would've been lessened if it took place in the Gotham of B89 or even Batman Begins.

Also, I definitely think that Nolan got the idea of making Gotham Chicago from Donner making Metropolis NYC in STM.

Old 01-15-2016, 08:40 PM   #31
shauner111
Side-Kick

I liked Gotham in Begins but for this trilogy, the scenes where it looked like a regular city that we can go to, it made the most sense and fit what Nolan was trying to do with this trilogy. It was never meant to be an accurate depiction of a comic books aesthetics. That's more Snyders concern.

"Lets make one thing very clear here - Nolan's films are as faithful an adaptation as there is. It pays homage to its source material, remains true to its characters and above all else places the story first and foremost." - jmc
shauner111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 12:11 AM   #32
Decepticonus
Banned User

All good points and never considered that Begins has the most Gotham-y look to it and yeah the others are kind of generic city. But yeah for Nolan's universe it works.
At the same time one could argue Gotham has no distinct look. There was an article a while ago pointing out Batman comics prior to '89 had a generic looking Gotham, it wasn't until later into the 90's it got a more distinct, gothic and Burton-esque look. And the same could go for the cartoons and video games.

Decepticonus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 01:11 AM   #33
The Shape
In the shadows

My favorite Gotham from the trilogy would be TDK, partially because of that real-world feel as you guys said, but I think also because of the way it was shot and the locations they used. The cinematography was off the chain, across the board.

That opening shot that just launches you right into the city and then into the action is great. Remember that in IMAX?

Old 01-16-2016, 03:52 AM   #34
BH/HHH
You Are My World

Quote:
Originally Posted by shauner111 View Post
I liked Gotham in Begins but for this trilogy, the scenes where it looked like a regular city that we can go to, it made the most sense and fit what Nolan was trying to do with this trilogy. It was never meant to be an accurate depiction of a comic books aesthetics. That's more Snyders concern.
Yet in Begins it did look more like something from a comic book.

Old 01-16-2016, 10:36 AM   #35
The Joker

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
I liked the Gotham City we saw in TDK. I think that making Gotham the stand in for Chicago made the actions of Batman and Joker much more palpable. You almost felt like this Bat-themed vigilante and this clown terrorist were actually duking it out in our world. IMO, the tension in, for example, the ferry scene would've been lessened if it took place in the Gotham of B89 or even Batman Begins.

Also, I definitely think that Nolan got the idea of making Gotham Chicago from Donner making Metropolis NYC in STM.
This

Although Gotham has been drawn like NYC many times in the comics, too:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decepticonus View Post
At the same time one could argue Gotham has no distinct look. There was an article a while ago pointing out Batman comics prior to '89 had a generic looking Gotham, it wasn't until later into the 90's it got a more distinct, gothic and Burton-esque look. And the same could go for the cartoons and video games.
This is very true. Gotham has predominantly looked like a regular city in the comics.

- The Joker

Last edited by The Joker; 01-16-2016 at 11:07 AM.
Old 01-16-2016, 11:09 AM   #36
shauner111
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BH/HHH View Post
Yet in Begins it did look more like something from a comic book.
They actually wanted it to be more like TDK and TDKR but Warner Brothers urged them to do otherwise. So i read.

"Lets make one thing very clear here - Nolan's films are as faithful an adaptation as there is. It pays homage to its source material, remains true to its characters and above all else places the story first and foremost." - jmc
shauner111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 11:12 AM   #37
Decepticonus
Banned User

I guess it's because most of us were raised on Burton as well as the art deco style of TAS we wanted something more stylistic, as The Joker even sourced that Gotham does indeed look like NYC. But in the end, not really complaining.
Nolan does well outside of Gotham City like the sewers which has 1,000,000 x the amount of head space than one would think. The Pit looked great.

Old 01-16-2016, 01:43 PM   #38
BH/HHH
You Are My World

Quote:
Originally Posted by shauner111 View Post
They actually wanted it to be more like TDK and TDKR but Warner Brothers urged them to do otherwise. So i read.
That's interesting didn't know that, still I like it best in Begins

Old 01-16-2016, 02:01 PM   #39
The Shape
In the shadows

The biggest detractor of Gotham in BB was the obvious use of sound stages at times (and obvious CGI for the overhead shots of the Narrows), instead of nearly always shooting on location for exterior shots as Nolan did in the sequels.

I think sound stages were more acceptable (and even preferable in some ways) for Burton's Gotham in Batman Returns, but I wasn't crazy about it in a 2005 film.

Old 01-16-2016, 02:04 PM   #40
Decepticonus
Banned User

Quote:
The biggest detractor of Gotham in BB was the obvious use of sound stages at times (and obvious CGI for the overhead shots of the Narrows), instead of nearly always shooting on location for exterior shots as Nolan did in the sequels.

I think sound stages were more acceptable (and even preferable in some ways) for Burton's Gotham in Batman Returns, but I wasn't crazy about it in a 2005 film.
Didn't detract for me at all but I get what you mean.

But I disagree on Burton, due to his sets and stages it looked like 18 people lived in Gotham, save for the opening scene in Batman (1989).

Old 01-16-2016, 02:16 PM   #41
The Joker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decepticonus View Post
Didn't detract for me at all but I get what you mean.

But I disagree on Burton, due to his sets and stages it looked like 18 people lived in Gotham, save for the opening scene in Batman (1989).
I agree. Especially in Returns. Talk about set city. 80% of Gotham seemed to consist of Gotham Plaza.

- The Joker
Old 01-16-2016, 02:21 PM   #42
Infinity9999x
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
I agree. Especially in Returns. Talk about set city. 80% of Gotham seemed to consist of Gotham Plaza.
This is true. I loved the style, but It felt like a set. If they could combine the style with the scope it would be perfect.

my veiws on Raimi's Spider-man
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
here
just scoll down

X-men Short film:
http://vimeo.com/41530049
Infinity9999x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 02:29 PM   #43
I Am The Knight
Pray for DC fans.

Quote:
It's as if the whole movie was taking place inside of a snow globe.

Not a complaint, by the way. That's one of the things I love about Returns.

SHH. You owe us your livelihood. / Avvy by Kane52630! / Ɉ
I Am The Knight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 03:31 PM   #44
The Batman
The Dark Knight

Quote:
This

Gotham was basically a stand in for NYC in the 60's show as well.

Old 01-16-2016, 07:09 PM   #45
titansupes
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batman View Post

Quote:
My favorite Gotham from the trilogy would be TDK, partially because of that real-world feel as you guys said, but I think also because of the way it was shot and the locations they used. The cinematography was off the chain, across the board.

That opening shot that just launches you right into the city and then into the action is great. Remember that in IMAX?
Quote:
This

This is very true. Gotham has predominantly looked like a regular city in the comics.
These. TDK/R is by far my favourite Gotham, and in spite of what some would have you believe, is comic accurate.

titansupes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 07:51 PM   #46
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

I think it's cool that we got to see different sections of Gotham in each movie. We saw the Narrows, the "Chicago" part, the "Pittsburgh/LA/NYC" part. It gave the city more scope over the course of the trilogy.

BatLobsterRises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 10:57 PM   #47
batfreakforever
A real fan

The Dark Kight Rises really makes more sense when you just watched the first two in a row before it. Girlfriend and I really appreciate the arcs how everything clicks into place. She never once said did they ever consider making a 4th one because she said the story is over and we don't need to know Blake's Batman story. It came full circle.

batfreakforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 12:04 AM   #48
Decepticonus
Banned User

Quote:
Yeah Gotham Plaza, with the tree lighting that is brought to like 18 people. So safe to say that is the last year of the tree lighting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinity9999x View Post
This is true. I loved the style, but It felt like a set. If they could combine the style with the scope it would be perfect.
Yeah the set is nice, but it's more like Gothamville or Gotham Town, not Gotham CITY. Safe to say Nolan did the right thing in shooting in the real world.

Old 01-17-2016, 12:39 AM   #49
Brother Jack
Believer

Quote:
I think it's cool that we got to see different sections of Gotham in each movie. We saw the Narrows, the "Chicago" part, the "Pittsburgh/LA/NYC" part. It gave the city more scope over the course of the trilogy.
Yeah, and I've always maintained the changing look of the city through the films was not stylistic inconsistency but story-driven. This Gotham was a gargantuan metropolis that had many different aspects and vibes. Begins has that rainy, claustrophobic Blade Runner feel because the story largely took place in the narrows, very much an exaggerated slum. Knight centered around civic, mid-city locations like Gordon's MCU and Bruce's penthouse so it was appropriate that the visuals were dominated by the steel and glass canyons. Rises takes that further with the focus on Gotham's economic and governmental institutions and broadens the canvas to show the city at its largest and most multi-leveled.

The city was always a character that evolved to suit the story. When you look at it altogether you see the full picture; every piece in its geographic place and the aesthetic to convey it. It's much like the portrait it painted for its hero at the center. A big triptych.

round to the same place again.

Brother Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 06:21 AM   #50
BH/HHH
You Are My World

Quote:
Originally Posted by titansupes View Post
These. TDK/R is by far my favourite Gotham, and in spite of what some would have you believe, is comic accurate.
Nobody said it wasn't, a few if us just think the Gotham in Begins feels more like something from a comic with the stuff in the Barrows. In that it feels a little more surreal and gothic. Nobody said there weren't or aren't comics with a more real world feel to Gotham.