Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman > The Dark Knight Rises

Closed Thread

Old 04-08-2017, 09:20 AM   #76
BaelaTargaryen
Side-Kick

Default Re: You Have My Permission To Lounge - Part 8

BvS is like Unforgiven, y'all.

Quote:
Yeah, I thought Civil War was great, maybe my favorite of the MCU films, but I've enjoyed BvS more, I feel like I've gotten so much more out of it, it was more mentally stimulating, to me personally. I feel like a big reason for that is because they took more risks with the story and portrayal of the characters. And I'm glad, I hope they continue to do that, even if it is more divisive. I feel like Superman and Batman are great characters to take risks and try to make a movie that stands apart, that is an allegory for our modern society and mythology and heroes, because they both already have so many stories. If you want the traditional take on the characters, you have the Reeves movies, Lois And Clark, the old Superman show, Smallville, the Burton/Schumacher Batman films, the Nolan films, B:TAS, etc. So, why not take a few risks and offer a different take on the characters?

As a fan, with characters like the Marvel characters, I'm glad they are giving us a live action incarnation that is a traditional Superhero movie formula and stays close to the well known interpretations of the characters. With Batman/Superman, I'm glad to see something a little different that still stays true to the core of what the characters represent. I look at the Snyder films like Eastwood's Unforgiven is to the traditional Western "White Hat/Black Hat" films.
There's more.

Quote:
I feel like it's a possibility that all the very vocal negativity towards the DCEU is going to result in all of us getting screwed in the long run. Word of mouth affects ticket sales and we already know WB has been reacting to the negativity, they might just see Superman as not being worth the investment, forget about a MOS2, for example. All the positivity towards Marvel has resulted in us getting Iron Man, for example, in 6 films already, and more to come. Some of those weren't the best, but people accepted it and moved forward.

Now, that's probably me thinking worst case scenario (but everybody else seems to be doing that). Why not let them tell their story, support it, and react positively to things you like, instead of every critic and article acting like this is such a terrible incarnation of the character.

Impossible to know for sure, but there's an argument to be made that all this negativity about DC not being "more like Marvel" resulted in Suicide Squad being not as good as it should have been.
Quote:
All this negativity (for whatever reason) coming from Superman fans, MCU fans, Critics, Bloggers will negatively impact the character, it bound to happen.

Edit: Those who think that they are doing great service to the character by constantly pointing out flaws are in fact contributing to decrease in popularity of the same character.

Last edited by BaelaTargaryen; 04-08-2017 at 10:41 AM.
Old 04-08-2017, 09:35 AM   #77
The Joker
The Clown Prince of Crime

Who's quote is that?

- The Joker
Old 04-08-2017, 09:51 AM   #78
BaelaTargaryen
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
Who's quote is that?
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=291

Old 04-09-2017, 10:11 PM   #79
Tacit Ronin
Side-Kick

I feel bad for Travesty. He was getting ready to turn on the onslaught over Nolan's Bat flicks as BvS was looming. He could finally hate on the films as he always wanted to. With the entire fanbase behind him. Supercharged by Affleck's comic book faithful interpretation (he already assumed). But in his euphoria, he forgot about the fact that it was directed by Zack Snyder. And surprise, he got a Snyder flick. Now the poor fella has been beaten into silence and abandonment. No more bandwidth swallowing, tacky gifs flooding pages.

Old 04-09-2017, 10:24 PM   #80
Ivan Drago
Do Not Want

What are his thoughts on BvS?

2017 superhero movie ratings

1. Logan: 9.5/10
2. Guardians of the Galaxy 2: 6.5/10
3. Wonder Woman: 6.5/10
4. Spider-Man Homecoming: 8.5/10
Old 04-09-2017, 11:12 PM   #81
shauner111
Side-Kick

Didn't he love it?

"Lets make one thing very clear here - Nolan's films are as faithful an adaptation as there is. It pays homage to its source material, remains true to its characters and above all else places the story first and foremost." - jmc
Old 04-10-2017, 12:49 AM   #82
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacit Ronin View Post
I feel bad for Travesty. He was getting ready to turn on the onslaught over Nolan's Bat flicks as BvS was looming. He could finally hate on the films as he always wanted to. With the entire fanbase behind him. Supercharged by Affleck's comic book faithful interpretation (he already assumed). But in his euphoria, he forgot about the fact that it was directed by Zack Snyder. And surprise, he got a Snyder flick. Now the poor fella has been beaten into silence and abandonment. No more bandwidth swallowing, tacky gifs flooding pages.
To be fair, I don't know that Travesty ever cared that much about having the fanbase behind him or not when it came to his opinions. I just think he was more used to being the dissenting naysayer than being the dissenting apologist, so it was a bit of a role reversal.

Old 04-10-2017, 01:07 PM   #83
Travesty
TEOL

Quote:
lol, what a completely random post. I mean, I know you've always had it out for me, but did I **** your girl or something? I don't know of a single time you and I have actually been in a debate about anything, other than you taking random pop shots from the sides, when it's most opportune for you.

The entirety of your post is so laughably off the mark, I don't even know where to start, or if I should. I've already said why I haven't been around as much lately in this very thread. You either didn't see it, are too slow to remember, or again, are trying to make another pathetic shot at me, because you just can't let me go...for whatever reason?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BatLobsterRises View Post
To be fair, I don't know that Travesty ever cared that much about having the fanbase behind him or not when it came to his opinions. I just think he was more used to being the dissenting naysayer than being the dissenting apologist, so it was a bit of a role reversal.
That's what's so laughable about Tacit's hilariously inane post. When have I ever worried about "the fanbase"? Apparently, I've been "beaten into silence", lol. As for your second point, the "role reversal" is all subjective, if you ask me. I don't really see any roles being reversed from my perspective. When it comes to Nolan's movies, I hated TDKR, and I thought TDK was overrated. The majority of critics loved it, and so did the fanbase. When it comes to MOS and BvS, I liked those movies, but the majority of critics hated it, and so did the fanbase. So to me, with those particular examples, I disagree with the majority of people: that's the same role for me. Nothing has changed with my position. My opinion goes against the masses. I see what you're saying about being a naysayer vs an apologist, but really, why would that bother me? I've been an open apologist for the faults in Burton's movies, random B66 stuff, tons of things in the comics, videogames, etc. This isn't the first time I've ever had to take that position. But apparently, some people around here have E.S.P. Quick, Tacit, what am I thinking of....ummmmm, MEATBALLS! Ah, unbelievable. You're a wonder, Tacit!

Thanks for the PM, guys. Also, thanks for keeping me in your thoughts and dreams, Tacit.

Old 04-10-2017, 01:30 PM   #84
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

Yeah, I mean speaking as someone who's defended things...I do think it's a harder and more exhausting role to fill, especially in the context of a forum like this. It's much easier to hate on something IMO, even if you're in the minority. But you're right, it's not like I haven't seen you defend other things so I wasn't trying to imply that.

Anyhoooo....speaking of hating on things that the majority seems to love....I must be the only person who hated the Thor Ragnorak trailer. Hate that it used Immigrant Song, hate that it feels like it's trying to be another GoTG, hate that the movie thinks it's going to win my affections just by sticking Jeff Goldblum in a ridiculous costume. It was a real crap sandwich for me. The movie itself may turn out to be fine, but that trailer really rubbed me the wrong way.

See how easy it is? Haha.

Old 04-10-2017, 01:59 PM   #85
shauner111
Side-Kick

There's a Ragnacock trailer? Lol.

"Lets make one thing very clear here - Nolan's films are as faithful an adaptation as there is. It pays homage to its source material, remains true to its characters and above all else places the story first and foremost." - jmc
Old 04-10-2017, 02:08 PM   #86
shauner111
Side-Kick

Just watched it. God I hate Marvel trailers.

Old 04-10-2017, 02:27 PM   #87
Tacit Ronin
Side-Kick

I enjoyed it. It was exactly what I was expecting. The humor at the end was on point.

Old 04-10-2017, 02:38 PM   #88
shauner111
Side-Kick

I think I just hate superhero movies now. Or at least superhero movies that actually look and are marketed as superhero movies.

Old 04-10-2017, 02:46 PM   #89
Tacit Ronin
Side-Kick

At least you're honest and self aware. A lot of superhero fans clearly hate the genre and hide behind "seriousness, grit and realism, graphic novels" to convince themselves otherwise.

Old 04-10-2017, 03:01 PM   #90
The Shape
In the shadows

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatLobsterRises View Post
Anyhoooo....speaking of hating on things that the majority seems to love....I must be the only person who hated the Thor Ragnorak trailer. Hate that it used Immigrant Song, hate that it feels like it's trying to be another GoTG, hate that the movie thinks it's going to win my affections just by sticking Jeff Goldblum in a ridiculous costume. It was a real crap sandwich for me. The movie itself may turn out to be fine, but that trailer really rubbed me the wrong way.

I'm right there with you on this. I definitely didn't hate it, but mostly felt indifference towards it. It's pretty much exactly what I was expecting. After Thor: TDW, I was hoping they'd veer a little more in the opposite direction for its sequel, rather than further into the realm of comedy.

One thing I do find to be somewhat ironic is how similar this trailer is to the recent Justice League trailer -- opens with the voiceover of a main character, a rock song playing over the entire trailer, very little in the way of laying out the actual plot/conflict of the film, tons of CGI and stylized slow-motion action throughout (probably more slow-mo in this than in the JL trailer), ends with a comedic moment, etc. And yet, unsurprisingly, I've seen plenty of the people who were critical of the JL trailer call this Thor trailer "amazing".

Old 04-10-2017, 03:07 PM   #91
The Shape
In the shadows

Quote:
Originally Posted by shauner111 View Post
I think I just hate superhero movies now. Or at least superhero movies that actually look and are marketed as superhero movies.
A lot of people seem super excited to see this whole Gladiator Hulk concept realized. I'm sure it'll be cool, but I'd be more excited to see that if we hadn't already seen the Hulk attack the Avengers and fight Thor one-on-one in The Avengers, and then fight Iron Man one-on-one in Age of Ultron...

Old 04-10-2017, 03:37 PM   #92
shauner111
Side-Kick

I'm just so sick and tired of the genre at this point. I loved Logan but HERE'S THE THING...any signs of doing the same thing all over again or slow motion fake looking visuals and I'm out. I reached my breaking point, I think, with KONG: SKULL ISLAND and these latest trailers (Thor, Spidey, Justice League). It's big action movies in general. Give me something fresh and don't make it look like a video game. You do that, and I'll be there. Otherwise, I'm not wasting my time. I have better, more interesting films and tv shows to spend my time with.

This Godzilla vs King Kong movie? I'll say it right now, I have zero interest in ever watching that movie. Who in their right mind thinks there's a quality story to tell with that? Let's take two monsters and have them box, THEN we'll try to squeeze some random story in there and write in some one dimensional human characters to fill up the space between each showdown. I DO NOT CARE for this dumb crap.

Superheroes crossing over? Why? Because they belong to the same company? Or is it because it makes sense? Comics, animation, live action it makes no difference. Why would Thor be in the same universe as Spider-Man or Punisher? Why would Batman even be in the presence of Superman or Aquaman? They shouldn't. But they cross them over for money and then force some stupid crappy plot in there to achieve their goal. It's like these Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage shows. I enjoyed a couple of them but anytime they even mentioned the Avengers I instantly cringed. Goddamnit just tell the goddamn story with Luke Cage! You're never going to bring them into the movies so f*** off!

It's like deciding to mix Game of Thrones with Ballers, Ballbags or whatever that terrible show is with the Rock...for no reason at all other than "it's under the same umbrella right? HBO?". Or Walking Dead with Breaking Bad just because of AMC and wait for it...they're popular so the fans will eat it up! Shave your head and go to sleep!

I know this sounds like I'm on a rant. Damn right, I'm all triggered and stuff! I've had enough with this dumb s**t.

Give me a damn Batman movie from Matt Reeves and keep the rest of the Justice League out of it! Call it Batman and Super Friends if you want to do that. That way I can save my money and watch a real Batman movie at home. Like Mask of the Phantasm or Batman 89' or a Nolan Batski.

That Iron Man b.s in the Homecoming trailer INSTANTLY ruined the movie for me (among other things like that stupid idiot Vulture). The only way I see that film in the theater is if Rotten Tomatoes gives it a fresh rating and people think it's the best Spidey movie to date AND friends of mine keep hounding me to go. Then I'll see it out of curiosity, like "this better be good". I've come to the conclusion that I can't be bothered with a new Spider-Man movie unless Venom and/or Carnage are involved.

Whore: Ragnacock? I'd rather stare at my toes for 4 hours. I'd rather see Dunkirk a few more times this summer even if I end up disappointed with it the first time, than see a new Thor once.

This is why Deadpool 2 could be awesome. Make fun of all of these comic book movies and crossovers (fingers crossed). OK I'm done. *deep breath*

WHO'S PUMPED FOR BETTER CALL SAUL TONIGHT!??

Last edited by shauner111; 04-10-2017 at 03:45 PM.
Old 04-10-2017, 04:31 PM   #93
I Am The Knight
Infinity

I liked some of the imagery in the Ragnarok trailer...But it really looks like TDW 2.0.

Last edited by I Am The Knight; 04-10-2017 at 04:46 PM.
Old 04-10-2017, 04:35 PM   #94
The Batman
The Dark Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travesty View Post
lol, what a completely random post. I mean, I know you've always had it out for me, but did I **** your girl or something? I don't know of a single time you and I have actually been in a debate about anything, other than you taking random pop shots from the sides, when it's most opportune for you.

The entirety of your post is so laughably off the mark, I don't even know where to start, or if I should. I've already said why I haven't been around as much lately in this very thread. You either didn't see it, are too slow to remember, or again, are trying to make another pathetic shot at me, because you just can't let me go...for whatever reason?
This reminds me of when I made the mistake of going into the "Don't be a dummy, Come describe a Hype member with a gif" thread, where apparently you can't include the word "The" while having a screename based off a fictional character, because that's "pretension of ownership" to said fictional character.

I dunno about Tacit's case specifically, but yeah, people love taking off the mark potshots at posters they dislike.

Old 04-10-2017, 05:53 PM   #95
Tacit Ronin
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Am The Knight View Post
I liked some of the imagery in the Ragnarok trailer...But it really looks like TDW 2.0.
Don't remember the Hulk or gladiatorial battles in TDW. Don't remember the utter lack of Padme in TDW.

Old 04-10-2017, 05:58 PM   #96
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shape View Post
I'm right there with you on this. I definitely didn't hate it, but mostly felt indifference towards it. It's pretty much exactly what I was expecting. After Thor: TDW, I was hoping they'd veer a little more in the opposite direction for its sequel, rather than further into the realm of comedy.

One thing I do find to be somewhat ironic is how similar this trailer is to the recent Justice League trailer -- opens with the voiceover of a main character, a rock song playing over the entire trailer, very little in the way of laying out the actual plot/conflict of the film, tons of CGI and stylized slow-motion action throughout (probably more slow-mo in this than in the JL trailer), ends with a comedic moment, etc. And yet, unsurprisingly, I've seen plenty of the people who were critical of the JL trailer call this Thor trailer "amazing".
You've got a point there.

I'll say it, I actually preferred the JL trailer. To me, the Ragnorak trailer just showed nothing new, short of a new haircut for Thor. It felt like a mashup of Thor: TDW and Guardians.

It didn't look bad, but it just really irked me that it seemed to be going for "this is so different and quirky and not the Thor movie you're expecting", but really it just came off as tired and standard Marvel fare at this point. I was interested in the idea of this movie being a "metal" superhero movie, but this feels like a Disney-lite version of metal. Heck, Justice League's trailer felt more heavy metal to me.

And look, nothing against Zep, I love them as much as the next guy...but Immigrant Song has been done to death in movies and trailers. Booooo....

Last edited by BatLobsterRises; 04-10-2017 at 06:02 PM.
Old 04-10-2017, 06:07 PM   #97
Tacit Ronin
Side-Kick

Then vote in the JL trailer vs Ragnarok trailer thread and make your opinion count!

Old 04-10-2017, 06:14 PM   #98
The Shape
In the shadows

There's a thread for that? Man, the Hype lovesssss "versus" threads.

Old 04-10-2017, 06:16 PM   #99
I Am The Knight
Infinity

Quote:
Don't remember the Hulk or gladiatorial battles in TDW. Don't remember the utter lack of Padme in TDW.
Yes, Padme and her Avengers being absent is different, and a very good thing. But the trailer just "feels" familiar to me. I believe Feige said they were going to reinvent (or something) the Thor franchise, so I was foolishly hoping for a First Avenger - Winter Soldier kind of reinvention.

SHH. You owe us your livelihood. / Avvy by SkullDevil! / ?
Old 04-10-2017, 06:23 PM   #100
Tacit Ronin
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shape View Post
There's a thread for that? Man, the Hype lovesssss "versus" threads.
JL really needs the help. It hasn't even gotten one yet! Who shall assume the honor of being, as youtubers say, "fiiiiiiiiiiiiirst".