The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Spider-Man > Spider-Man 1, 2 & 3

Old 04-20-2017, 11:06 PM   #526
The Joker
The Clown Prince of Crime

Default Re: Who thought SM2 was Overrated?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NealKenneth View Post
Like you said, they are not together until the very end of the second film (literally the final scene.) Then, in the third film, their very first scene together has Mary Jane storming off because Peter is so self-absorbed.
Yes, and what is wrong with them getting together at the end of the movie? It would have been a huge disservice to the ending of the first movie when Peter made a choice to not be with MJ for her own safety, if they just ignored it and had them get together at the start of the second movie. In the second movie part of Peter's journey is living with that decision, and how difficult it is for him to want to be with the woman he loves but cannot.

In the third movie their first scene together is Peter congratulating MJ on her singing performance. Their second scene together is them in the giant web in the park watching the meteor shower, making out, and generally being happy. It was after this scene that Peter decides he wants to marry her and goes to Aunt May to tell her.

Their third scene is the first sign of friction between them when MJ gets the bad review.

Quote:
Across the entire trilogy, these guys probably had less then five minutes of screen time where they were happy together.
This I agree with, after they get together at the end of 2, for the bulk of 3 they are unhappy. But that has nothing to do with 2.

Quote:
He doesn't just go crazy like Octavius. First we see his life fall apart when they need to go "back to formula", his life's work is destroyed when the board wants to kick him out of his own company, and he gets superpowers from testing the formula on himself. He is influenced by a mask to rebuild his life's work. It's a personal goal for him because the company is all he has left that he cares about. He lost his company, his dream went up in smoke. Then the mask offers him the glimmer of hope that he can still succeed and rebuild his dream.
Norman's life did not fall apart. He was in a financial bind to prove his formula, so he took a risk and tested it on himself. The formula turned him crazy, not his mask. If you listened to the dialogue from Stromm you know the formula had side effects of violence, aggression, and insanity. Norman's life never falls apart. He never actually loses anything he cares about. The first time we see Norman and his Goblin alter ego have a discussion is after Norman has secured his future by killing the competition to Oscorp, and the greedy board members who were planning to sell him out of his own company. Norman won. He kept his company. The Goblin's quest in SM-1 was trying to make Spidey join his side.

Whereas with Otto he lost his wife, his life's work, and had his body disfigured. His quest was to regain the only thing left in the world that he cared about; rebuilding his dream.

Otto's and Norman's stories were apples and oranges. The only similarity between them is their villainous egos were products of their own bad science.

Quote:
First of all, there's no need to accuse me of not being a fan. If writing such a long review of a film that came out over a decade ago doesn't prove I'm a fan...what does?
I never accused you of any such thing. I said IF you're a fan you know this. I don't know if you read the comics or not. I am not just assuming you do. If you're not, then I've just informed you of story from the comics and how it's pure Spidey greatness.

Quote:
I've read the first 150 issues or so many times in my life. They are fantastic. But not everything that works in the context of a comic book story works in the context of just six hours of film. Having a long, winding approach to a relationship in a series of films is going to get tiresome, especially if you don't balance times of trouble with times that are trouble-free. Like we covered earlier, Mary Jane and Peter don't have any time that is trouble-free in the entire trilogy (something that Webb's first film finally showed us with Gwen.) They never have that honeymoon period that makes us feel bad when things go wrong later on. It's doomed from that start, leaving you feeling more like "Well, yeah, what did you expect?"
Once again that's a Spider-Man 3 related issue you have there. The second movie didn't cover their time as being together as a couple. The road to them becoming a couple however in the comics was very bumpy, filled with drama, rejections, and even abandonment. In that regard the second movie came up trumps.

Quote:
Similarly, stripping a guy of powers when he's only had them for like an hour and a half so far...it was too early for that on top of all the other problems I mentioned before.
No, it's not. It worked perfectly, especially with the time jump of being 2 years after the first movie. We saw plenty of Spidey action in 1, and even in 2 it wasn't until an hour into the movie before he actually completely loses his powers and throws in the towel. Even then that only lasts for about 20 minutes of the movie.

Quote:
Not to mention that a good chunk of the audience came to the film hoping to see those powers in action.
Which they got. In some of the finest action scenes ever put on film no less. One reason why SM-2 is the favorite of the Spidey movies, and generally regarded as one of the best superhero movies. The audience got plenty of sublime superhero action from Spidey.

Quote:
And yes, it's one of my favorite comic issues of all time. That doesn't matter.
Of course it doesn't. What matters is it's true blue valid Spidey character material.

- The Joker

Last edited by The Joker; 04-20-2017 at 11:22 PM.
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 11:23 PM   #527
A Necessary Evil
One. Bad. Day.

Spider-Man 2 sucks. TBH, I thought TASM2 was a much better movie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacit Ronin View Post
The way SONY dominated Marc Webb was way more hardcore than anything in 50 Shades anyways.
A Necessary Evil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 11:24 PM   #528
NealKenneth
Banned User

I can tell you really love the film, and so do I, so I don't really see the point of going any deeper than this. I do believe it is overrated now that the MCU exists, but it is good to see that many will still carry on the legacy of Raimi's trilogy.

I enjoy all three immensely, by the way, although I must admit I enjoy the third in a very different way from the first two...

NealKenneth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 11:24 PM   #529
NealKenneth
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Necessary Evil View Post
Spider-Man 2 sucks. TBH, I thought TASM2 was a much better movie.
Now that's just crazy!

Old 04-20-2017, 11:25 PM   #530
A Necessary Evil
One. Bad. Day.

No way. TASM movies are really underrated, and nailed the character to a T. Raimi's were too goofy and hamfisted. I liked the dark tone of TASM1 way more.

Quote:
The way SONY dominated Marc Webb was way more hardcore than anything in 50 Shades anyways.
Old 04-20-2017, 11:27 PM   #531
The Joker
The Clown Prince of Crime

Quote:
I can tell you really love the film, and so do I, so I don't really see the point of going any deeper than this. I do believe it is overrated now that the MCU exists, but it is good to see that many will still carry on the legacy of Raimi's trilogy.

I enjoy all three immensely, by the way, although I must admit I enjoy the third in a very different way from the first two...
Fair enough. Just for the record I am not telling you you're wrong to feel it's overrated, that's your own opinion. I was just addressing some of the issues you had.

Quote:
Now that's just crazy!
lol he's only kidding. Trust me he's a personal buddy of mine. He loves Raimi's movies and loathes the TASM ones. I would disown him forever if he meant what he said there

- The Joker
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 11:28 PM   #532
A Necessary Evil
One. Bad. Day.

Yeah, I figured the quote in my sig would show it.

Quote:
Old 04-20-2017, 11:43 PM   #533
NealKenneth
Banned User

Oh haha, I didn't notice. I used to like the first Webb film but the second one was so bad it somehow went back and ruined the first one too.

Now I just pretend they never happened.

Old 04-20-2017, 11:46 PM   #534
A Necessary Evil
One. Bad. Day.

I used to enjoy TASM, as well. Though, I'm sure it was moreso the excitement of a new SM movie than it actually being good. I went and rewatched it a few months before TASM2 came out, and loathed it instantly.

Quote:
Old 04-21-2017, 12:07 AM   #535
Awest66
Side-Kick

To answer the question, Spider-Man 2 is fairly rated. All the praise it's earned it truly deserves and neither Spider-Man film that came after it hold a candle to it.

Awest66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 10:42 AM   #536
Herofan
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Necessary Evil View Post
No way. TASM movies are really underrated, and nailed the character to a T. Raimi's were too goofy and hamfisted.
LOL that this was just a joke.

I think the stories generally work best by combining drama, dark humor and some goofiness. Especially when Peter's problems are both real enough and yet also overdone to the point of being somewhat funny.

Herofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 01:10 PM   #537
ItchyWebShooter
Spider-Signal Included

I do agree with Neal's assessment of the Peter/MJ story. I feel it would be viewed better in retrospect if Spider-Man 3 had allowed them some happiness.

ItchyWebShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 06:56 AM   #538
Nardz937
Side-Kick

Reading everyone destroy that TASM fanboy (Andrew) in here was fun.

Nardz937 is offline   Reply With Quote