The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

Closed Thread

Old 11-02-2014, 09:02 PM   #1001
jmc
away for a while

Default Re: Batman V Superman Box Office Prediction

I've heard some suggest that WB announcing that slate of films speaks of confidence towards BvS but I'm not entirely convinced because the studio had strong confidence towards MoS as well. The WB slate I feel is nowhere near as set in stone as what Marvel's is simply because of BvS, there nothing stopping WB from cutting their losses if things go pear shaped. The film won't fail financially, at worst it will be on par with MoS, but there may be damage done along the same lines as what the Amazing Spider Man series is going through. Keep this in mind, when BvS comes out both JL and WW will be filming already. The worst case scenario is if BvS is given another mixed response. It's bad enough you have BvS coming off MoS, it's another thing if it's WW and especially JL coming off two films with mixed receptions. If the films are divisive you're never going to reach that billion dollars because there's only so much good will an audience will give.

Old 11-02-2014, 09:23 PM   #1002
Flint Marko
Bring me Thanos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
Most movies raise or fail in the shooting script. Not sure why this would be any different save for the idea that the director can win people over with his style.
...as well as cinematic universe hype/momentum
My main point was that Terio is pretty much the only person to keep this project on track, as Snyder is not a competent story teller and is focused mainly on the visuals. If Terio fails he has no one to keep him accountable so keeping the quality in check is completely on his shoulders, which is a heavy burden for someone with just one screenplay under their belt, even one as strong as Argo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiderdevil View Post
The Last Stand made 130 Million in DVD sales
Origins made 117 Million in DVD sales
Spider-man 3 made 126 Million in DVD sales

Hell even Green Lantern made a respectable 47 Million
Fantastic point. People always cite the DVD sales as a sign that MoS was an undeniable success, but that sounds like such an also-ran argument if you have to point to how it performed on home media platforms once it was out of theaters.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc View Post
I've heard some suggest that WB announcing that slate of films speaks of confidence towards BvS but I'm not entirely convinced because the studio had strong confidence towards MoS as well. The WB slate I feel is nowhere near as set in stone as what Marvel's is simply because of BvS, there nothing stopping WB from cutting their losses if things go pear shaped. The film won't fail financially, at worst it will be on par with MoS, but there may be damage done along the same lines as what the Amazing Spider Man series is going through. Keep this in mind, when BvS comes out both JL and WW will be filming already. The worst case scenario is if BvS is given another mixed response. It's bad enough you have BvS coming off MoS, it's another thing if it's WW and especially JL coming off two films with mixed receptions. If the films are divisive you're never going to reach that billion dollars because there's only so much good will an audience will give.
Realistically BvS will be a box office success, that much is undeniable. The problem here, which you sort of touch on, is that if the quality is inconsistent or lackluster then people's interest will eventually dwindle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
I think its what you said: people see what they want to see, and hype plays a uge role in that.

MOS was marketed as a cool, badass film showcasing the new 21st Century Superman, with Superman fans being hyped because MOS better reflected the 90's Superman they grew up with, as well as finally putting big Superman action sequences onscreen.

Meanwhile, ASM2 was the sequel to a movie that many folks deemed unnecessary, a film that didn't do enough to set itself apart from the previous film incarnation.
I must say, the marketing for MoS had me convinced. I think that might be the main reason why I was so disappointed after I saw it.
I went in thinking that it would be the movie to beat that summer, both critically and commercially, because of the astounding trailers and all of the pre-hype buzz. Nolan's named being heavily promoted also had me excited, as I figured he would have a hand in the production in some capacity, but boy was I wrong.

Old 11-02-2014, 09:23 PM   #1003
Thread Manager
SHH! Moderator

This thread is now closed it has a continuation thread Here

Closed Thread