The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > TV Series > Misc. TV Series

Closed Thread

Old 04-30-2011, 08:19 PM   #326
BlackLantern
Banned User

Default Re: FXs new drama - Justified - starring Timothy Olyphant

maybe......but who is she to where it would influence Mags to pass the deal on to her grandkids and stay in Harlan County to go after Raylan?

Old 04-30-2011, 08:23 PM   #327
Hunter Rider
Ronin
SHH! Administrator

I am not sure that woman is connected to Mags decision, I think Arlo blackmailing her and intending to kill Dickie along with the ego moves by Boyd made her decide she needed to stay true to her roots and finish the fight.

Old 04-30-2011, 10:57 PM   #328
squeekness
The mighty squeek!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Rider View Post
I thought the woman was the mother of the guy that took the fall for Dickie.
That's what I was thinking too, just makes ya wonder what she or the family gets for the guy's confession. Some kinda deal would have had to be struck.

Old 05-04-2011, 10:30 PM   #329
Shawn Wayne
I own a large clock

Can someone please explain to me why they built up the feud all year just to end it like that? way to drop the effing ball!!!!

Old 05-04-2011, 10:31 PM   #330
BlackLantern
Banned User

end it what way? Mags has passed the Black Pike deal to her grandkids and she looks to be gearing up for war with Boyd and probably Raylan

Old 05-04-2011, 10:57 PM   #331
Shawn Wayne
I own a large clock

Just saw the finale...don't want to spoil it for anyone

Old 05-04-2011, 11:11 PM   #332
StarkvsRogers
Always Be Gaming

Same here...

My review for anyone who already watched... http://henchmanforhire.com/2011/05/j...bloody-harlan/

Old 05-04-2011, 11:41 PM   #333
Maximus One
Eklypze Is Dead

WOW! Just.... WOW!

"Police are under the bridge demanding that I at least turn back into Rick Moranis"

- Rob Sonic
Old 05-05-2011, 12:25 AM   #334
Paradox1
Side-Kick

Awesome episode wow damn shame about Mags though I was quite fond of her

Old 05-05-2011, 01:35 AM   #335
Wolfwood
Shasta McNasty

I loved the ending and I'm glad they used "You'll Never Leave Harlan Alive" as the final song, it's so perfect for this show.

Also the best part for me was easily:

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
"This bullet's been coming for 25 years." I would've loved if it had been Raylan that did it, but it was still awesome.

Henchman for Shadaloo
Old 05-05-2011, 05:43 AM   #336
Dr Lee
Feet first into hell

That was the finale?

****ing brilliant show...

saw Mags killing herself when she first started playing with the glasses while Loretta had the gun on her, but i'd thought she'd try and take out Raylan at the same time...

is Boyd's girl dead (I'm so freaking crap at remembering names) or not...?

i can see 'You'll Never Leave Harlan Alive' becoming Justified's 'Carry On My Wayward Son'

Old 05-05-2011, 10:35 AM   #337
Rez
Side-Kick

This was absolutely perfect. My only complaint is that it wasn't another 4 or 5 hours longer.

A-Hunter Rider-V

Old 05-05-2011, 10:39 AM   #338
Maximus One
Eklypze Is Dead

I almost thought Mags had dosed herself and Raylan and we were going to get a cliffhanger ending

"Police are under the bridge demanding that I at least turn back into Rick Moranis"

- Rob Sonic
Old 05-05-2011, 10:42 AM   #339
Dr Lee
Feet first into hell

i was expecting that as well...

Old 05-05-2011, 10:45 AM   #340
Maximus One
Eklypze Is Dead

The end we got was still damn good though. Redeemed Mags a bit, gonna miss her though. She should at least get an emmy nod

- Rob Sonic
Old 05-05-2011, 10:47 AM   #341
Rez
Side-Kick

One thing I'm not looking forward to? The quick 10 minute wrap up to all this next season. I really hope they keep most of these threads alive- the opening of this season felt forced and akward because how quickly they tried to wrap up all the loose ends from season 1.

A-Hunter Rider-V

Old 05-05-2011, 11:50 AM   #342
Wolfwood
Shasta McNasty

Yeah, I hope they do more with Dickie then just killing him in the first part of episode 1 next season. Otherwise, they should've just had Boyd do him in this episode and been done with it. While I like Dickie, I can't see him becoming a main antagonist on his own. He was good for screwing things up, but I can't see him as a crime boss on the level of Mags.

Henchman for Shadaloo
Old 05-05-2011, 02:35 PM   #343
El Bastardo
Literary elitist

The ending was a little too easy. I won't say the writers dropped the ball, because they didn't - it still makes sense in the grand scheme of things, but it's too easy. The ending - and I'm talking Doyle and Mags here - does not come as any result of our two focal protagonists, Raylan and Boyd. Rather, it comes as a result of direct intervention on the parts of Winona and Art.

It's still damn good television, and one of my favorite shows, and I don't want to see it go. But as good as the second season was, it failed to live up to the first season, and as a result really doesn't compare with Sons of Anarchy. After the first season, I thought it had a shot at blowing SoA off the road.

Old 05-05-2011, 07:43 PM   #344
Shawn Wayne
I own a large clock

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Bastardo View Post
The ending was a little too easy. I won't say the writers dropped the ball, because they didn't - it still makes sense in the grand scheme of things, but it's too easy. The ending - and I'm talking Doyle and Mags here - does not come as any result of our two focal protagonists, Raylan and Boyd. Rather, it comes as a result of direct intervention on the parts of Winona and Art.

It's still damn good television, and one of my favorite shows, and I don't want to see it go. But as good as the second season was, it failed to live up to the first season, and as a result really doesn't compare with Sons of Anarchy. After the first season, I thought it had a shot at blowing SoA off the road.

I agree. After watching Raylan butt heads with the Bennetts all season- I was expecting more of a confrontation. Loved the Mags ending, but feel a little unsatisfied

Old 05-05-2011, 08:15 PM   #345
El Bastardo
Literary elitist

Oh man. Someone agrees with me? Watch out behind you! You're in for it now!

Old 05-06-2011, 01:47 PM   #346
Rez
Side-Kick

I thought it was brilliant in every way. Would I have loved for there to be more? Sure, but they only have so much time. Besides, while it would have been cool for Raylan to have a shootout with all the extra faceless hillbillies, it would have been extremely unneccessary. They really drove home this season that Raylan really is just one man, and a man with many flaws. Everyone around him talks about that in the first season, but for the most part we didn't really see that. This season, we see why he and Winona split up(and before the Winona *****es come in, no, it's not just cause of her), we see why he's unpopular even among his own coworkers, we learn more of his faults and his history and his baggage and the show is that much better for it.

I loved the Godfather-esque meeting between Boyd and Mags intercut with Johnny and the assault on Ava's house. Is that not enough interaction between characters for you guys? Out of four Bennets, Raylan has killed one, Boyd got the drop on another, the third killed herself right in front of Raylan in a showdown that was better than any gunfight, and then Tim killed the fourth- but in many ways you have to consider it Tim.. and Art.. and Winona. Not to mention that arguably the worst Bennet- Dickie, who finally snapped and turned into quite a threat- is STILL ALIVE and can have further vengeance brought upon him.

I guess people are pissed because the episode didn't consist of Raylan going to the guy who was driving Loretta, shoot him, shoot Dickie, then drive over to the bennet farm and shoot everyone there, and then sit down with Mags and almost drink a poisoned glass only to switch it on her at the last second and have her accidently kill herself.

We've had plenty of "badass Raylan" moments this season.. but to have him walk in and just lay waste to literally everyone would be boring, predictable, and get old fast. The alternatives we were presented with were far more interesting, and even much more fitting for many of the characters.

I'd put this season up into one of the absolute greatest seasons of a tv show ever, along the likes of Rome, Breaking Bad season 3, most of The Wire... it was that good.

A-Hunter Rider-V

Old 05-06-2011, 02:25 PM   #347
Marvolo
Side-Kick

One thing I liked about Wynona and Art interfering is that it shows Raylan isn't a one man justice dealer. He needs the people around him. As much as he aggravates Art, the man cares about him. I think it was good for that to happen. As much as I wanted Mags to take a bullet I just can't see a logical way of doing it. The kid can't do it, because thats a bit much for the show. Raylan obviously wasn't gonna shoot Maggs unless she drew on him, and her character is smarter than that. She was too big a character to just take a random bullet like Doyle did. No, in the end, I believe Maggs was always going to do it herself. In some way a person like her may find that the only way. She had poisoned who knows how many people, and its sort of poetic that she was strong enough to go the same way as the people she had poisoned. I was pleased with the finale, and I am gonna miss Maggs next season.

Old 05-06-2011, 06:03 PM   #348
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Winona is a crazy shrill woman and it sucks that Raylan pursued her instead Ava.

- CM Punk
Old 05-06-2011, 09:04 PM   #349
El Bastardo
Literary elitist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rez View Post
I thought it was brilliant in every way. Would I have loved for there to be more? Sure, but they only have so much time. Besides, while it would have been cool for Raylan to have a shootout with all the extra faceless hillbillies, it would have been extremely unneccessary. They really drove home this season that Raylan really is just one man, and a man with many flaws. Everyone around him talks about that in the first season, but for the most part we didn't really see that. This season, we see why he and Winona split up(and before the Winona *****es come in, no, it's not just cause of her), we see why he's unpopular even among his own coworkers, we learn more of his faults and his history and his baggage and the show is that much better for it.

I loved the Godfather-esque meeting between Boyd and Mags intercut with Johnny and the assault on Ava's house. Is that not enough interaction between characters for you guys? Out of four Bennets, Raylan has killed one, Boyd got the drop on another, the third killed herself right in front of Raylan in a showdown that was better than any gunfight, and then Tim killed the fourth- but in many ways you have to consider it Tim.. and Art.. and Winona. Not to mention that arguably the worst Bennet- Dickie, who finally snapped and turned into quite a threat- is STILL ALIVE and can have further vengeance brought upon him.

I guess people are pissed because the episode didn't consist of Raylan going to the guy who was driving Loretta, shoot him, shoot Dickie, then drive over to the bennet farm and shoot everyone there, and then sit down with Mags and almost drink a poisoned glass only to switch it on her at the last second and have her accidently kill herself.

We've had plenty of "badass Raylan" moments this season.. but to have him walk in and just lay waste to literally everyone would be boring, predictable, and get old fast. The alternatives we were presented with were far more interesting, and even much more fitting for many of the characters.

I'd put this season up into one of the absolute greatest seasons of a tv show ever, along the likes of Rome, Breaking Bad season 3, most of The Wire... it was that good.
Does any of your irate rant have anything to do with what people in this thread have voiced? Because I sure can't trace any parallels.

Most of what you've apparently decided we silly people had wanted is stupid, and would have been worse per the narrative than what actually happened.

The second season certainly was not up to par with Rome, The Wire, or what I hear about Breaking Bad, though. That's just silly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvolo View Post
One thing I liked about Wynona and Art interfering is that it shows Raylan isn't a one man justice dealer. He needs the people around him. As much as he aggravates Art, the man cares about him. I think it was good for that to happen. As much as I wanted Mags to take a bullet I just can't see a logical way of doing it. The kid can't do it, because thats a bit much for the show. Raylan obviously wasn't gonna shoot Maggs unless she drew on him, and her character is smarter than that. She was too big a character to just take a random bullet like Doyle did. No, in the end, I believe Maggs was always going to do it herself. In some way a person like her may find that the only way. She had poisoned who knows how many people, and its sort of poetic that she was strong enough to go the same way as the people she had poisoned. I was pleased with the finale, and I am gonna miss Maggs next season.
I totally agree with your point that "Raylan isn't a one man justice dealer," and I agree that the interference of Winona and Art was essential. This does not take away from the fact that it should have happened sooner, and that in context of the finale it is very much a deus ex machina because it never happened sooner.

And correct, Raylan would not have shot Mags, nor should he have. Nor should Loretta have, nor should Tim or Rachel have. If anyone would have potentially killed Mags, it would have been Boyd, and that still would have been mostly hollow. There are other alternatives to shooting her, and there are other alternatives to killing her that would not have felt as cheap, and without requiring the actress to return for subsequent seasons.

Old 05-06-2011, 10:06 PM   #350
BlackLantern
Banned User

I think it was appropriate for Mags to die, in her own home, on her own terms

Closed Thread