The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman > The Dark Knight Rises

View Poll Results: Who made the better Catwoman?
Michelle Pfeiffer 74 39.57%
Anne Hathaway 113 60.43%
Voters: 187. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2013, 12:02 AM   #476
The Joker
The Clown Prince of Crime
 
The Joker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Arkham Asylum
Posts: 48,746
Default Re: Anne Hathaway vs Michelle Pfeiffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutRiddled View Post
That's all it takes, then the media latches onto it and blows it all out of proportion.
I don't think so. This thing killed the McDonalds Happy Meal Promotion. NBC did some TV piece on it. Even the writer of the movie, Daniel Waters, saw some of the bad reactions to it in theaters.

http://modage.tumblr.com/post/254361...audiences-much

Batman 1989 got a few vocal minority criticisms about being too dark. This was something different altogether.

__________________
"Sometimes I remember it one way. Sometimes another. If I'm going to have a past, I prefer it to be multiple choice!"

- The Joker

Last edited by The Joker; 04-02-2013 at 12:09 AM.
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 12:08 AM   #477
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized
 
BatLobsterRises's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: NJ
Posts: 11,415
Default Re: Anne Hathaway vs Michelle Pfeiffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutRiddled View Post
"People loved her" - oh, really? Is that your objective standpoint? Can you back that up?

Because all the pre-marketing focused on Bane, mainly. They were hyping up Bane in this movie and barely any marketing materials had Catwoman until just before release. I don't know if general audiences were antipicating Catwoman so much, except for the hardcore fanboys and fangirls.
Dude, yes. I'm sorry but you're living under a rock if you don't realize that she was very well-received. Yes, she was completely hidden in the marketing. That's why a lot of people came out of the film taken by surprise by her performance.

If you didn't observe the HUGE turnaround from people hating on Hathaway pre-TDKR to praising her after the movie, then I don't know what to tell you. Not to mention the fact that she has a commanding lead in this poll right now.

I think most of Hathway's critics in this thread would at least admit that she was positively received by audiences and critics overall. And I say most, because you're probably the only one who would try to deny this.

BatLobsterRises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 12:21 AM   #478
OutRiddled
Banned User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 507
Default Re: Anne Hathaway vs Michelle Pfeiffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
I don't think so. This thing killed the McDonalds Happy Meal Promotion. NBC did some TV piece on it. Even the writer of the movie, Daniel Waters, saw some of the bad reactions to it in theaters.

http://modage.tumblr.com/post/254361...audiences-much

Batman 1989 got a few vocal minority criticisms about being too dark. This was something different altogether.
That sounds like BS to me. Probably some people had that reaction, yes, but to say that most people had their kids crying and people being disturbed is a load of nonsense. The media will pick up on any controversy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatLobsterRises View Post
Dude, yes. I'm sorry but you're living under a rock if you don't realize that she was very well-received. Yes, she was completely hidden in the marketing. That's why a lot of people came out of the film taken by surprise by her performance.

If you didn't observe the HUGE turnaround from people hating on Hathaway pre-TDKR to praising her after the movie, then I don't know what to tell you. Not to mention the fact that she has a commanding lead in this poll right now.

I think most of Hathway's critics in this thread would at least admit that she was positively received by audiences and critics overall. And I say most, because you're probably the only one who would try to deny this.
You're talking about fanboys, man.

Is she going to become a pop-cultural icon like Pfieffer? I doubt that.

OutRiddled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 12:25 AM   #479
The Joker
The Clown Prince of Crime
 
The Joker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Arkham Asylum
Posts: 48,746
Default Re: Anne Hathaway vs Michelle Pfeiffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutRiddled View Post
That sounds like BS to me. Probably some people had that reaction, yes, but to say that most people had their kids crying and people being disturbed is a load of nonsense.
What's a load of nonsense is saying a minority number of complaints could cause WB to completely retool their multi million dollar franchise and drop Burton as a director of it.

Quote:
The media will pick up on any controversy.
"Batman was criticized in some quarters for being "too dark". Many observed that Burton was more interested in the Joker rather than Batman in terms of characterization and screen time. Comic book fans reacted negatively over the Joker murdering Thomas and Martha Wayne. In the comic book, Joe Chill is responsible. Writer Sam Hamm, who is a comic book fan, said it was Burton's idea to have the Joker murder Wayne's parents. "The Writer's Strike was going on," Hamm continued, "and Tim had the other writers do that. I also hold innocent to Alfred letting Vicki Vale into the Batcave," he reasoned. "Fans were ticked off with that, and I agree. That would have been Alfred's last day of employment at Wayne Manor."

http://destinyosbourne.hubpages.com/hub/the-batman

Funny it didn't seem to affect Batman 1989.

__________________
"Sometimes I remember it one way. Sometimes another. If I'm going to have a past, I prefer it to be multiple choice!"

- The Joker
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 12:29 AM   #480
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized
 
BatLobsterRises's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: NJ
Posts: 11,415
Default Re: Anne Hathaway vs Michelle Pfeiffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutRiddled View Post
You're talking about fanboys, man.

Is she going to become a pop-cultural icon like Pfieffer? I doubt that.
Neither of us can predict the future. I'm only trying to say that people (both fanboys and non-fanboys alike) were impressed with her in 2012. You were trying to say that people would have been praising Bane more in exit polls, and I think there is evidence to the contrary. I took a group of 9 to see TDKR at midnight, only one other hardcore fanboy in the group, the rest more just general fans of the Batman movie series. A lot of them weren't happy at all with the casting choice. Some not happy about the decision to include Catwoman period. Everyone came out loving her, most citing her as their favorite part of the movie. I can assure you this phenomenon was not isolated to my particular group of friends.

Now, will she become as much of an icon as Pfeiffer? Who's to say? Was Pfeiffer more of an icon than Julie Numar? I personally think all the Catwomen (minus Berry) will all sit beside each other in Bat-history. There's room for more than one icon. Adam West, Michael Keaton and Christian Bale all are iconic in their own ways.

BatLobsterRises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 12:39 AM   #481
OutRiddled
Banned User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 507
Default Re: Anne Hathaway vs Michelle Pfeiffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
What's a load of nonsense is saying a minority number of complaints could cause WB to completely retool their multi million dollar franchise and drop Burton as a director of it.
I don't know their exact reasons but Batman Returns still made them a lot of money. Maybe it had something to do with the McDonalds tie-in promotion.

Quote:
"Batman was criticized in some quarters for being "too dark". Many observed that Burton was more interested in the Joker rather than Batman in terms of characterization and screen time. Comic book fans reacted negatively over the Joker murdering Thomas and Martha Wayne. In the comic book, Joe Chill is responsible. Writer Sam Hamm, who is a comic book fan, said it was Burton's idea to have the Joker murder Wayne's parents. "The Writer's Strike was going on," Hamm continued, "and Tim had the other writers do that. I also hold innocent to Alfred letting Vicki Vale into the Batcave," he reasoned. "Fans were ticked off with that, and I agree. That would have been Alfred's last day of employment at Wayne Manor."

http://destinyosbourne.hubpages.com/hub/the-batman

Funny it didn't seem to affect Batman 1989.
Was there a McDonalds tie-in promotion for Batman '89?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatLobsterRises View Post
Neither of us can predict the future. I'm only trying to say that people (both fanboys and non-fanboys alike) were impressed with her in 2012. You were trying to say that people would have been praising Bane more in exit polls, and I think there is evidence to the contrary. I took a group of 9 to see TDKR at midnight, only one other hardcore fanboy in the group, the rest more just general fans of the Batman movie series. A lot of them weren't happy at all with the casting choice. Some not happy about the decision to include Catwoman period. Everyone came out loving her, most citing her as their favorite part of the movie. I can assure you this phenomenon was not isolated to my particular group of friends.

Now, will she become as much of an icon as Pfeiffer? Who's to say? Was Pfeiffer more of an icon than Julie Numar? I personally think all the Catwomen (minus Berry) will all sit beside each other in Bat-history. There's room for more than one icon. Adam West, Michael Keaton and Christian Bale all are iconic in their own ways.
She's about as iconic as Black Widow in The Avengers or Selina in the Underworld films. Or a bunch of other recent movies with the same kind of character. That's the way I see it.

Pfieffer was something new at the time. Now it has become something of a cliche.

OutRiddled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 12:42 AM   #482
The Joker
The Clown Prince of Crime
 
The Joker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Arkham Asylum
Posts: 48,746
Default Re: Anne Hathaway vs Michelle Pfeiffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutRiddled View Post
I don't know their exact reasons but Batman Returns still made them a lot of money. Maybe it had something to do with the McDonalds tie-in promotion.
Why would it have anything to do with that? McDonalds killed their promotion because of all the complaints. It was reactionary.

Quote:
Was there a McDonalds tie-in promotion for Batman '89?
1989 was Batmania. Merchandise promotions everywhere the eye could see. The better question is did that suffer at all because of it? The answer is no.

__________________
"Sometimes I remember it one way. Sometimes another. If I'm going to have a past, I prefer it to be multiple choice!"

- The Joker

Last edited by The Joker; 04-02-2013 at 12:57 AM.
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 01:23 AM   #483
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized
 
BatLobsterRises's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: NJ
Posts: 11,415
Default Re: Anne Hathaway vs Michelle Pfeiffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutRiddled View Post
She's about as iconic as Black Widow in The Avengers or Selina in the Underworld films. Or a bunch of other recent movies with the same kind of character. That's the way I see it.

Pfieffer was something new at the time. Now it has become something of a cliche.
You changed the conversation though. First you tried to imply that the audience didn't care about her and would have been talking more about Bane in exit polls from TDKR. I tried to contest that, then you got into this discussion about who's more iconic.

Meh, forget it. I tried.

BatLobsterRises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 01:38 AM   #484
OutRiddled
Banned User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 507
Default Re: Anne Hathaway vs Michelle Pfeiffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
Why would it have anything to do with that? McDonalds killed their promotion because of all the complaints. It was reactionary.
I don't know the full story but it seems like there were complaints (have no idea how many) and negative publicity which caused them to kill the promotion.

Quote:
1989 was Batmania. Merchandise promotions everywhere the eye could see. The better question is did that suffer at all because of it? The answer is no.
There was still controversy over '89. GothamAlleys could probably tell you more about that, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatLobsterRises View Post
You changed the conversation though. First you tried to imply that the audience didn't care about her and would have been talking more about Bane in exit polls from TDKR. I tried to contest that, then you got into this discussion about who's more iconic.

Meh, forget it. I tried.
I don't know what exit polls you are talking about. You haven't provided any proof whatsoever. I'm trying to argue from a logical position.

OutRiddled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 02:11 AM   #485
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized
 
BatLobsterRises's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: NJ
Posts: 11,415
Default Re: Anne Hathaway vs Michelle Pfeiffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutRiddled View Post
I don't know what exit polls you are talking about. You haven't provided any proof whatsoever. I'm trying to argue from a logical position.
Logical position? You said:

Quote:
If you asked them now they would probably say "Bane".
in reference to kids/fans would be saying if they were interviewed after TDKR like in that video from 92 milost posted.

You started this whole discussion on a very illogical note- you're projecting your opinion and assuming that just because you think something, other people do too. I'm not going to go through the trouble of linking you to any of the (literally) hundreds of reviews out there where you can find tons of praise for Hathaway's performance. The fact that her performance was a favorably received one is obvious.

The funny thing is I'm not even trying to argue who's better here. That's not what I'm about here, I love them both. I'm also not even trying to say everyone liked her more than Pfeiffer, I'm only saying fans and audience members were overall very happy with her performance and portrayal. I'm just amused that you refuse to even acknowledge the obvious, that Anne got a lot of attention and praise right after TDKR came out. You're making it seem like nobody even cared about her...which you have a 0% chance of proving.

BatLobsterRises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 02:22 AM   #486
OutRiddled
Banned User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 507
Default Re: Anne Hathaway vs Michelle Pfeiffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatLobsterRises View Post
Logical position? You said:



in reference to kids/fans would be saying if they were interviewed after TDKR like in that video from 92 milost posted.

You started this whole discussion on a very illogical note- you're projecting your opinion and assuming that just because you think something, other people do too. I'm not going to go through the trouble of linking you to any of the (literally) hundreds of reviews out there where you can find tons of praise for Hathaway's performance. The fact that her performance was a favorably received one is obvious.

The funny thing is I'm not even trying to argue who's better here. That's not what I'm about here, I love them both. I'm also not even trying to say everyone liked her more than Pfeiffer, I'm only saying fans and audience members were overall very happy with her performance and portrayal. I'm just amused that you refuse to even acknowledge the obvious, that Anne got a lot of attention and praise right after TDKR came out. You're making it seem like nobody even cared about her...which you have a 0% chance of proving.
I didn't say it was a fact. I said "probably". Just because Bane was a lot more prominent in the film.

Yeah, you talk about reviews. There's literally hundreds of those around. I'm sure you could find dozens of examples, but that doesn't really prove your point.

Just watch that video milost posted - everyone coming out was praising Catwoman. Not critics, they were part of the general audience.

If they would have interviewed people coming out of TDKR, I bet you anything few people would be saying Catwoman, because she was barely even a part of that movie. She wasn't nearly as much of a standout as Pfieffer was. Deny it all you want.

OutRiddled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 03:18 AM   #487
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized
 
BatLobsterRises's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: NJ
Posts: 11,415
Default Re: Anne Hathaway vs Michelle Pfeiffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutRiddled View Post
I didn't say it was a fact. I said "probably". Just because Bane was a lot more prominent in the film.

Yeah, you talk about reviews. There's literally hundreds of those around. I'm sure you could find dozens of examples, but that doesn't really prove your point.

Just watch that video milost posted - everyone coming out was praising Catwoman. Not critics, they were part of the general audience.

If they would have interviewed people coming out of TDKR, I bet you anything few people would be saying Catwoman, because she was barely even a part of that movie. She wasn't nearly as much of a standout as Pfieffer was. Deny it all you want.
None of us here can be a fly on the wall for every multiplex in the world, and unless either of us are willing to go conduct a random poll on the street, we're not gonna get anywhere with this "what would random moviegoer #7 think?" crap. I've offered my experience of seeing TDKR on opening night with a large group of various fandom levels, but that can only go so far.

And dude, everyone in those videos were kids. And they were specifically being asked "who was your favorite?". There were only three choices. One of them spewed black bile and was generally repulsive. The other wasn't in the movie that much and is kind of a boring answer anyway. Most parents these days didn't take their kids to see the Nolan Bat-films. It's a whole different can of worms, and it's not even comparable. There are more complex opinions one has about TDKR than "Catwoman was my favorite!". And again you're trying to make comparisons to Pfeiffer's reception when all I am saying is that Hathaway's Selina was well-received, independently of how that compares to how people liked Pfeiffer in 92.

And since Pfeiffer is so iconic like you say, the fact that Hathaway held her own with less screen time, a less of an outwardly emotional arc and more toned down performance is very respectable. People didn't forget about Pfeiffer's performance, so it's not like Hathaway was getting compared to Halle Berry. She owned it. "I bet you anything" that most fans who walked out of TDKR who preferred Pfeiffer would say things like "Pfeiffer is still my favorite Catwoman, but Anne did a great job."

And yes, Pfeiffer WAS more standout, partly because she was designed to be more standout. I never denied that. That doesn't mean there wasn't a very positive response to Hathaway. You heard a lot of things like "She was great, wish she was in it more". I honestly haven't heard a single negative thing about her performance outside this forum.

This is hilarious though. All I'm asking at this point is for you ot at least admit that Anne Hathaway was, overall, well-liked in the role in 2012. Even if you think Pfeiffer was liked more 20 years prior. Which may very well be the case.


Last edited by BatLobsterRises; 04-02-2013 at 03:25 AM.
BatLobsterRises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 03:59 AM   #488
OutRiddled
Banned User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 507
Default Re: Anne Hathaway vs Michelle Pfeiffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatLobsterRises View Post
None of us here can be a fly on the wall for every multiplex in the world, and unless either of us are willing to go conduct a random poll on the street, we're not gonna get anywhere with this "what would random moviegoer #7 think?" crap. I've offered my experience of seeing TDKR on opening night with a large group of various fandom levels, but that can only go so far.

And dude, everyone in those videos were kids. And they were specifically being asked "who was your favorite?". There were only three choices. One of them spewed black bile and was generally repulsive. The other wasn't in the movie that much and is kind of a boring answer anyway. Most parents these days didn't take their kids to see the Nolan Bat-films. It's a whole different can of worms, and it's not even comparable. There are more complex opinions one has about TDKR than "Catwoman was my favorite!". And again you're trying to make comparisons to Pfeiffer's reception when all I am saying is that Hathaway's Selina was well-received, independently of how that compares to how people liked Pfeiffer in 92.
They weren't all kids. There were some adolescents (male and female) and an adult who also gave their answer.

TDKR had 3 main characters as well (Batman, Bane and Catwoman). Nobody is going to say they liked Robin lol, who was just portrayed as some rookie cop. And Talia who was nothing, a pathetic villain who was in the background most of the time.

Batman Returns gave some good balance to the villains, yet people were still saying Catwoman. Not like TDKR which was Bane-intensive most of the way through. Catwoman wasn't even portrayed as a villain.

Quote:
And since Pfeiffer is so iconic like you say, the fact that Hathaway held her own with less screen time, a less of an outwardly emotional arc and more toned down performance is very respectable. People didn't forget about Pfeiffer's performance, so it's not like Hathaway was getting compared to Halle Berry. She owned it. "I bet you anything" that most fans who walked out of TDKR who preferred Pfeiffer would say things like "Pfeiffer is still my favorite Catwoman, but Anne did a great job."
"She held her own" - bah, she was barely a blip on the radar. She'll be forgotten about just like Halle Berry was.
Quote:
And yes, Pfeiffer WAS more standout, partly because she was designed to be more standout. I never denied that. That doesn't mean there wasn't a very positive response to Hathaway. You heard a lot of things like "She was great, wish she was in it more". I honestly haven't heard a single negative thing about her performance outside this forum.
I have heard plenty of negative things, outside of the Nolan fanbase that is. Nolan fans will accept almost anything.

Quote:
This is hilarious though. All I'm asking at this point is for you ot at least admit that Anne Hathaway was, overall, well-liked in the role in 2012. Even if you think Pfeiffer was liked more 20 years prior. Which may very well be the case.
She is STILL liked. She is still the definitive movie Catwoman. When most people think of Catwoman they think of Pfeiffer. Those older may think of Newmar, but otherwise Pfeiffer still reigns supreme. There have been tons of articles written about her character over the last 20 years. Even now, people still remember her, just seeing that image of her in the catsuit is instantly recognisable in the annals of pop culture. Show anyone a picture of Anne Hathaway as Catwoman in a few years time, and people won't know if they are looking at Black Widow or Selina from the Underworld films (or any other generic chick in black leather from a dozen other films).

Those who like Hathaway.. well, there wasn't too much to 'like' about TDKR anyway. I guess in that respect, yeah, she was one highlight in a very bad film.

OutRiddled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 06:05 AM   #489
BatmanGoesToRio
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 425
Default Re: Anne Hathaway vs Michelle Pfeiffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassandra Cain View Post
This. They're both good in their own right and portrayed two very different versions of Catwoman (in comparison that is). Perhaps the better question is, who portrayed a more comic accurate version of Catwoman?
I'd say Anne did. Though I dig Pfeiffer's performance I've never been a fan of that supernatural take on Catwoman. But Pfeiffer had the better costume and a much better chemistry with Batman.

What I missed with Anne's Selina were a proper cat cowl, the whip and her being called "Catwoman". But: In my eyes she was hotter than Michelle. And sex appeal is an important aspect of Catwoman as well. So I voted for Anne. But it was close.

I'm still waiting for the definitive Catwoman on screen. Maybe the reboot will do her full justice.

BatmanGoesToRio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 06:26 AM   #490
regwec
Make Mine Marble
 
regwec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Perfidious Albion
Posts: 28,492
Default Re: Anne Hathaway vs Michelle Pfeiffer

I agree, I think the definitive Catwoman is still yet to come, and I look forward to it.

This argument has become like this:


__________________
"Myth and high culture have much in common. Each is concerned to idealise the human condition, to lift it free from contingencies". - Sir Roger Scruton
Love Freedom?
PENCE 2018
regwec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 06:48 AM   #491
OutRiddled
Banned User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 507
Default Re: Anne Hathaway vs Michelle Pfeiffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatmanGoesToRio View Post
I'd say Anne did. Though I dig Pfeiffer's performance I've never been a fan of that supernatural take on Catwoman.
There was nothing supernatural, for crying out loud. You can't take a little subtext. She wasn't brought back to life by cats, and she didn't have 9 lives either.

http://gothamalleys.blogspot.com.au/...ernatural.html
Quote:
What I missed with Anne's Selina were a proper cat cowl, the whip and her being called "Catwoman". But: In my eyes she was hotter than Michelle.
No offense but I think you need to get your eyes checked.

OutRiddled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:02 AM   #492
AnneFan
Hathaway #1
 
AnneFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 22,048
Default Re: Anne Hathaway vs Michelle Pfeiffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by regwec View Post
This argument has become like this:

Indeed. I do like both versions of the character and in truth prefer to talk about each one on their own merits, rather in contrast. Opinions are opinions and people see things as they see them. As Pfeiffer-Pfan said, nobody is wrong. So trying to validate opinions is futile. Both actresses are talented and beautiful. Negative people can make jibes about them both - but at the end of the day they're loved by their family, friends and true fans. That's what's important.

__________________
Follow Anne on Instagram and Facebook
AnneFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:09 AM   #493
Brain Damage
Everything Under the Sun
 
Brain Damage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Boston
Posts: 2,861
Default Re: Anne Hathaway vs Michelle Pfeiffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutRiddled View Post
"She held her own" - bah, she was barely a blip on the radar. She'll be forgotten about just like Halle Berry was.
You daftness never ceases to amaze me.

__________________
WHO APPOINTED THE BATMAN?

Free Original Music
Brain Damage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:15 AM   #494
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themyscira
 
Dark Raven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Tall and tanned and young and lovely
Posts: 43,767
Default Re: Anne Hathaway vs Michelle Pfeiffer

I will say that Michelle Pfieffer shaved her legs in the sink while brushing her teeth.

No wait... that was in One Fine Day... with the other Batman.

__________________
Quote:
Anne Hathaway: "You did not just ask me that!! What a forward young man you are!!! My goodness!!"
Dark Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:59 AM   #495
Pfeiffer-Pfan
Cool Rider
 
Pfeiffer-Pfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: UK/Ireland
Posts: 12,887
Default Re: Anne Hathaway vs Michelle Pfeiffer

I think we can all agree that we'd like these two work together...


Last edited by Pfeiffer-Pfan; 04-02-2013 at 09:26 AM.
Pfeiffer-Pfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:22 AM   #496
OutRiddled
Banned User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 507
Default Re: Anne Hathaway vs Michelle Pfeiffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfeiffer-Pfan View Post
I think we can all agree that we'd like these two to work together...
Nah, Hathaway and her 'good girl trying to act bad' is lame.

With Pfeiffer in her prime, I'd like to see her lez out with Bridget Fonda or some other actress with amazing looks and intense acting ability. She deserves the best. As Jack Nicholson said in Wolf - "Now I know what God meant."

OutRiddled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:24 AM   #497
The Joker
The Clown Prince of Crime
 
The Joker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Arkham Asylum
Posts: 48,746
Default Re: Anne Hathaway vs Michelle Pfeiffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutRiddled View Post
I don't know the full story
I do. It's well documented.

Quote:
but it seems like there were complaints (have no idea how many) and negative publicity which caused them to kill the promotion.
Yes, a reactionary event. The movie got a backlash about being too scary for kids, and McDonalds killed their big Happy Meal promotion because of it.

How many movies do you know of which had something like happen over a few minor complaints?

Quote:
There was still controversy over '89. GothamAlleys could probably tell you more about that, though.
What controversy? I can't find a thing about it on Google.

__________________
"Sometimes I remember it one way. Sometimes another. If I'm going to have a past, I prefer it to be multiple choice!"

- The Joker
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:34 AM   #498
OutRiddled
Banned User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 507
Default Re: Anne Hathaway vs Michelle Pfeiffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
Yes, a reactionary event. The movie got a backlash about being too scary for kids, and McDonalds killed their big Happy Meal promotion because of it.

How many movies do you know of which had something like happen over a few minor complaints?
Remember that this was back in 1992. I don't know what the deal with McDonalds is but all movie executives see is dollar signs. And McDonalds are all about their 'family friendly' image. So, you don't just cut off a big corporate promotion like that. Remember, it's the big brass of McDonalds making these decisions, ultimately.



Quote:
What controversy? I can't find a thing about it on Google.
Many parents and some viewers were shocked and outraged at this portrayal of both Batman and Joker. Children under 16 were not allowed to see the movie in Belgium and Ireland because it was deemed that the Joker's character was too much for young viewers.
The Joker, with his gruesome death dealing, is also the cautionary figure for parents of young children. Take that PG-13 very seriously; this is where bad dreams are born - LA Times, June 1989



Joker is an incarnation of all the indiscriminate psychopaths who kill for the sheer, exhilarating fun of it - The Washington Post, June 1989

Nicholson’s disfigurement abstracted psychosis, being sufficiently hideous without confusing our sympathy (nypress.com)

http://gothamalleys.blogspot.com.au/...-of-joker.html

OutRiddled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:38 AM   #499
The Joker
The Clown Prince of Crime
 
The Joker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Arkham Asylum
Posts: 48,746
Default Re: Anne Hathaway vs Michelle Pfeiffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutRiddled View Post
Remember that this was back in 1992. I don't know what the deal with McDonalds is but all movie executives see is dollar signs. And McDonalds are all about their 'family friendly' image. So, you don't just cut off a big corporate promotion like that. Remember, it's the big brass of McDonalds making these decisions, ultimately.
Exactly. So their must have been some hefty number of complaints to kill such a big money making promotion, otherwise they wouldn't bat an eyelid over a few minor complaints would they?

Quote:
Many parents and some viewers were shocked and outraged at this portrayal of both Batman and Joker. Children under 16 were not allowed to see the movie in Belgium and Ireland because it was deemed that the Joker's character was too much for young viewers.
The Joker, with his gruesome death dealing, is also the cautionary figure for parents of young children. Take that PG-13 very seriously; this is where bad dreams are born - LA Times, June 1989

Joker is an incarnation of all the indiscriminate psychopaths who kill for the sheer, exhilarating fun of it - The Washington Post, June 1989

Nicholson’s disfigurement abstracted psychosis, being sufficiently hideous without confusing our sympathy (nypress.com)

http://gothamalleys.blogspot.com.au/...-of-joker.html
That's what you call a few minor complaints. Especially when the only place on the Net where you can find info on it is on a Batman fan's blog. So thank you for helping prove my point.

__________________
"Sometimes I remember it one way. Sometimes another. If I'm going to have a past, I prefer it to be multiple choice!"

- The Joker
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 11:08 AM   #500
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized
 
BatLobsterRises's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: NJ
Posts: 11,415
Default Re: Anne Hathaway vs Michelle Pfeiffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutRiddled View Post
They weren't all kids. There were some adolescents (male and female) and an adult who also gave their answer.

TDKR had 3 main characters as well (Batman, Bane and Catwoman). Nobody is going to say they liked Robin lol, who was just portrayed as some rookie cop. And Talia who was nothing, a pathetic villain who was in the background most of the time.

Batman Returns gave some good balance to the villains, yet people were still saying Catwoman. Not like TDKR which was Bane-intensive most of the way through. Catwoman wasn't even portrayed as a villain.
Exactly, and she's not supposed to be. Catwoman at her best has always bee a grey character. She's grey in Batman Returns too, but leaning more towards the bad side. The thing about Catwoman is you never know what side of the fence she'll end up on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutRiddled View Post
"She held her own" - bah, she was barely a blip on the radar. She'll be forgotten about just like Halle Berry was.
K.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutRiddled View Post
I have heard plenty of negative things, outside of the Nolan fanbase that is. Nolan fans will accept almost anything.
And Nolan bashers like you will bash almost everything he does. Case in point:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutRiddled View Post
Those who like Hathaway.. well, there wasn't too much to 'like' about TDKR anyway. I guess in that respect, yeah, she was one highlight in a very bad film.
Again, you realize you're just taking your own opinion and applying that to everyone else right? And weren't you trying to say that people tended to favor Bane? D'oh, guess that's two highlights in a very bad movie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutRiddled View Post
She is STILL liked.
I NEVER tried to say she wasn't. Stop twisting my argument into an attack on Pfeiffer. I've been repeatedly trying to tell you that I love Pfeiffer too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutRiddled View Post
Show anyone a picture of Anne Hathaway as Catwoman in a few years time, and people won't know if they are looking at Black Widow or Selina from the Underworld films (or any other generic chick in black leather from a dozen other films).
You're right, and I guess they wouldn't know who it was if they looked at a photo of Julie Newmar as Catwoman either.

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:


Yeah, I'm gonna go ahead and say that anyone who can't decipher what character Anne Hathaway's Catwoman is in a few years time is either hopelessly pop culture ignorant, or not the sharpest tool in the shed.


Last edited by BatLobsterRises; 04-02-2013 at 11:36 AM.
BatLobsterRises is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:39 PM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"



Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2018 All Rights Reserved.