The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Old 07-09-2013, 10:10 AM   #376
Loki882
Side-Kick

Default Re: Love this IMBD post about the Damage/Death Toll in MOS

Agreed, it showed just how far he was willing to go in order to save his adopted world and the people that he loved.

Loki882 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 10:49 AM   #377
Marvin
Side-Kick

Watched Kill bill with a friend the other night, forgot that crazy 88 fight went on for what I approximate to be over 12 mins(didn't time it). Just a little perspective.

The amount of sheer hyperbole this film received during it's critical storm, seems kinda funny to me now. Some people were saying they have never seen that amount of damage in a film before or a fight go on for THAT long.
Instead of addressing the real issues such as the content of said fights and how engaging they were, it was, things like "this is what you get for hating returns" a movie with 30 mins of fighting and a superman that destroys an entire city in his wake".

I look forward to seeing the sequel, curious how much of the city is gone.

Old 07-09-2013, 12:08 PM   #378
dnno1
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlamingCoco View Post
I like it as is, it's not like he was EXPECTING to crash through the diner. Seeing all those defenseless people made me want him to lay the smackdown on Faora.
Quiet as it is kept, there were about 9 people in that IHOP. Most of them were in the background huddled up in a corner or behind their tables. Of course Pete Ross was working there as well.

Old 07-09-2013, 03:48 PM   #379
GremlinZilla89
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sf2 View Post
i think the defense they would put up is cartoon isn't real. in movie, you see real building, real human.
Then that is a complete cop out. The cartoons are trying to tell a dramatic story just as the films are.

Superman punching an enemy into a building that "could" have people in it is a cartoon is no different. It's a weak, cop out argument.

Last edited by GremlinZilla89; 07-09-2013 at 03:51 PM.
GremlinZilla89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:17 PM   #380
Loki882
Side-Kick

The Superman/Zod fight only lasted about seven minutes (I timed it). The fightwa actually shorter than I expected, but still awesome.

Old 07-09-2013, 09:22 PM   #381
sf2
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by GremlinZilla89 View Post
Then that is a complete cop out. The cartoons are trying to tell a dramatic story just as the films are.

Superman punching an enemy into a building that "could" have people in it is a cartoon is no different. It's a weak, cop out argument.
btw, they are totally ok for SII, where superman punching the kryptonians sending them thru buildings ( fully occupied with people. confirmed!). twice / a few times.

how irony.

sf2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:28 PM   #382
Loki882
Side-Kick

Superman did not punch Zod through buildings, it was the other way around. This is a key fact that others seem to be ignoring.

Old 07-09-2013, 10:04 PM   #383
sf2
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki882 View Post
Superman did not punch Zod through buildings, it was the other way around. This is a key fact that others seem to be ignoring.
they said he could some how divert the course of his direction to avoid crushing the building. because he is superman.

Old 07-09-2013, 10:21 PM   #384
Loki882
Side-Kick

Not when Zod was hiding BEHIND said buildings and ambushing him. Also, Zod was clearly the far superior hand to hand fighter. He was winning the fight BEFORE he learned how to fly and shoot heat vision. He mastered skills in mere days that it took Clark decades to learn. Also, Zod had gone completely bat**** insane by that point and didn't care who died, even himself.

Old 07-09-2013, 10:28 PM   #385
robot
Side-Kick

Yup, I don't buy all these talk about Superman being responsible for the deaths of thousands or that he failed to save anyone, etc...

If it were the Hulk, would anyone complain?

And yes, Superman have killed hundreds of thousands of ppl in his fights in cartoons alone... (if you imagine all the buildings/ships/submarines/planes that he brought down).

robot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 10:37 PM   #386
Loki882
Side-Kick

In the series finale of JLU, Superman, Batman, and Lex all fought Darkseid and his army in the middle of downtown Metropolis in the middle of the afternoon. He punched Darkseid through several skyscrapers. We know there were people in the area because there is a shot of people on the street looking up at Darkseid crashing through the buildings, which are right above them. Superman than hit Darkseid so hard that he plunged into the streets below and made a huge crater, as well as baldy damaging several surrounding buildings. That is much more reckless than anything he did in MOS. To make things worse, JLU Superman has been a hero for years and fought countless supervillains, including Darkseid several times.

Old 07-09-2013, 10:42 PM   #387
blumatic
Side-Kick

There are alot of pirated clips on the internet right now. And I would love to break it down for people and see that Zod was the guy doing the damage and how Superman had very little chance to find an alternative.

blumatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 11:00 PM   #388
mace1
Side-Kick

In superman 2 non and superman were fighting underground and nobody complains about the earthquake they cause in that film,then after that superman knocks non into the building and folks are inside there,then some stuff falls down almost killing the lady and the lady says superman HELP US.

After that superman does not leave the city so the others could follow.

Some Folks/critics nitpick this film but not has much has the other one.

Last edited by mace1; 07-09-2013 at 11:08 PM.
mace1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 11:16 PM   #389
bluearth
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
Watched Kill bill with a friend the other night, forgot that crazy 88 fight went on for what I approximate to be over 12 mins(didn't time it). Just a little perspective.

The amount of sheer hyperbole this film received during it's critical storm, seems kinda funny to me now. Some people were saying they have never seen that amount of damage in a film before or a fight go on for THAT long.
Instead of addressing the real issues such as the content of said fights and how engaging they were, it was, things like "this is what you get for hating returns" a movie with 30 mins of fighting and a superman that destroys an entire city in his wake".

I look forward to seeing the sequel, curious how much of the city is gone.
In the final fight with Zod you can see most of the city is intact. The 2nd time I watched the film the damage seemed much less worse then I initially thought.

Estimates say the damage was 4x worse then the Avengers. Considering almost nobody cared about the damage caused in the Avengers, 4x worse doesnt seem that bad

bluearth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 11:18 PM   #390
blumatic
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by mace1 View Post
In superman 2 non and superman were fighting underground and nobody complains about the earthquake they cause in that film,then after that superman knocks non into the building and folks are inside there,then some stuff falls down almost killing the lady and the lady says superman HELP US.

After that superman does not leave the city so the others could follow.

Some Folks/critics nitpick this film but not has much has the other one.

Old 07-09-2013, 11:22 PM   #391
Loki882
Side-Kick

I think that the damage is comparable. The difference is that in The Avengers, the destruction is spread out over a large part of New York City (six heroes, two of whom can fly and one who can jump miles at a time, fighting aliens on flying gun platforms/giant metal alien snakes). In MOS, the damage is located in one particular part of Metropolis, and that area is completely decimated, which makes it seem that the damage in MOS was worse than in The Avengers, which isn't really the case.

Old 07-11-2013, 02:45 AM   #392
Blake II
Banned User

They really need to make mention of all this destruction and how they are repairing metropolis (Luthor helping?) or else MoS2 will suck.

Blake II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 05:40 AM   #393
AnneFan
Hathaway #1

Quote:
The Superman/Zod fight only lasted about seven minutes (I timed it). The fightwa actually shorter than I expected, but still awesome.
Yeah, the action wasn't as prolonged as I thought it would be. Some made it sound like the last hour or so was wall to wall action, non stop flying through buildings, etc.

Old 07-11-2013, 10:25 AM   #394
The Guard
Side-Kick

You get used to the hyperbole around here.

-Me
The Guard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 05:05 PM   #395
Bren
Forevernoob

I thoroughly enjoyed the spectacle of the crazy levels of destruction. I cannot for one second believe that an inexperienced Superman could have done any better in any fights than he did.

Yes, I would have liked him to acknowledge the damage and potential loss of life more, but not once did I get the impression he never or didn't care.

Great movie, comic/cartoon brought to 'life'.

Bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 05:13 PM   #396
InJustice
Side-Kick

Quote:
This. I used to see some logic in the other side's argument until I saw that people were forgetting that Superman isn't punching Zod through buildings. In fact, the only big thing that Superman did was crashing Zod's face through glasses of a building.

Now people are being plain ignorant about who threw who towards buildings.

InJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 05:27 PM   #397
blumatic
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by InJustice View Post
This. I used to see some logic in the other side's argument until I saw that people were forgetting that Superman isn't punching Zod through buildings. In fact, the only big thing that Superman did was crashing Zod's face through glasses of a building.

Now people are being plain ignorant about who threw who towards buildings.
I think the scale of the destruction is a shock to people. The building and the streets were very empty. It was ghost town in metropolis. The remainng citizens that were left were by the train station. And when Superman and Zod landed there, thats when Superman got Zod in a head lock.

I wish that had just 2 saves in the film during that fight so people wouldnt complain so much. I think Snyder thought a nearly desserted city would be enough but its not for alot of people.

Old 07-12-2013, 08:01 AM   #398
sf2
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by blumatic View Post
I think the scale of the destruction is a shock to people. The building and the streets were very empty. It was ghost town in metropolis. The remainng citizens that were left were by the train station. And when Superman and Zod landed there, thats when Superman got Zod in a head lock.

I wish that had just 2 saves in the film during that fight so people wouldnt complain so much. I think Snyder thought a nearly desserted city would be enough but its not for alot of people.
Yup. It's a shock when we saw it the 1st time.
It would like great the 2nd time.

Old 07-13-2013, 12:38 AM   #399
deanmachine
Newbie First Class

Smile Re: Love this IMBD post about the Damage/Death Toll in MOS

People are still *****ing about this? Seriously?

A) We have NEWLY dawned Superman who has ZERO experience in fighting besides a few altercations in the movie.
B) Faora, Zod, etc all bring the fight to him. Imagine an enemy fighting you constantly at will that is equal, if not stronger/more capable than you, ans is absolutely bent on YOUR destruction. You wouldn't have much time to react except in force.
C) What do you think beings who live in an environment 4-5 times greater than ours would be like? We see steel structures, cars, etc get absolutely demolished when the world engine increases gravity levels, and these beings can walk around casually in that? Of.course there's going to be destruction when they fight.

Honestly this movie could gave had A LOT more action. I think it had just the right amount. Those who complain about it most likely still have this ideal sense of the 1940s and 50s Superman too. This isn't that Superman nor is the world he exists in the same. Get over it.

deanmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 11:23 AM   #400
Mysteryman
Side-Kick

Actually the Superman in MOS very much resembles The Golden Age Superman.

Mysteryman is offline   Reply With Quote