The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Iron Man > Iron Man

View Poll Results: Is Robert Downey Jr. a good choice?
Yes 239 62.89%
No 59 15.53%
It's too early to tell 82 21.58%
Voters: 380. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 10-03-2006, 10:31 AM   #226
R_Hythlodeus
Nerd Supreme

Default Re: Is Robert Downey Jr. a good choice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gundamzeppelin
I'm not crazy about the idea.... well i hope they stick to a comic style armor unlike the horrible X-men movie costumes
I thought the x-men costumes were great, blue and yellow spandex is not working

ZWERG/ELF

a fantasy RPG based bilingual webcomic

Old 10-03-2006, 10:58 AM   #227
RedIsNotBlue
Agree to disagree

Isn't Granov designing the suit? I don't think we have to worry much. Favs is looking to be just as big a fan as anyone else here.

Old 10-03-2006, 11:09 AM   #228
Hiruu
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Lee
There aren't too many alcoholic billionaire industrialist weapons engineers in their early 20's either.

While most comic characters start their careers as teenagers....Stark didn't.
Bingo. Using the original storyline was going to be a tall order. Captured by evil commies, and he built his super suit to escape??? While I fully believe in honoring the spirit and feel of the classic comic material, some of it is just outdated. Same thing with the original Fantastic Four issue...did any one complianing REALLY read that thing recently (in the past couple of years)...I have...yikes...can we say "dated."

- From By Schism Rent Asunder
Old 10-03-2006, 11:14 AM   #229
I SEE SPIDEY
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Hythlodeus
I thought the x-men costumes were great, blue and yellow spandex is not working
Who said that they had to be blue and yellow? So it had to be black Matrix rippoff fetish costumes or blue and yellow spandex? There is nothing in between or different they could have done with the costumes?

It is so funny how people let a man who had absolutely no respect for the comicbook that his movie was based on, brainwash them into believing that unoriginal costume design was breathtakingly awsome.

Old 10-03-2006, 11:57 AM   #230
Dragon
No Way as Way

I've seen alot of Downey's work and he's certainly a talented actor. But I see him working as Stark.

If they were going in this age and acting style range, I think Val Kilmer would have been a better choice, although he might have passed, simply because he's already played a billionaire superhero.

As for the Mandarin they'd better not go young. They need to hire an acting vet out of Hong Kong, if not an Asian-American actor with solid experience (Maybe Tony Liu, Tsi Ma or John Lone).

Kung-Fu, 1972
Old 10-03-2006, 12:49 PM   #231
GoldGoblin
Side-Kick

Downey could make this movie amazing I guess.

Cast Joe Manganiello for Kraven the Hunter!
Old 10-03-2006, 07:10 PM   #232
AnimeJune
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by I SEE SPIDEY
Who said that they had to be blue and yellow? So it had to be black Matrix rippoff fetish costumes or blue and yellow spandex? There is nothing in between or different they could have done with the costumes?

It is so funny how people let a man who had absolutely no respect for the comicbook that his movie was based on, brainwash them into believing that unoriginal costume design was breathtakingly awsome.
They weren't fetish costumes, they were leather jackets and pants. Uniforms. Besides, the costumes weren't RELEVANT to the X-Men, not in the least. Uniforms, at least, are realistic and understandable than each guy having a customized outfit.

Old 10-03-2006, 08:20 PM   #233
marcvader
Lurker #1
SHH! Global Moderator

Great choice, it gives the movie some sense respectibility now. As far as the age thing is concerned, an older Stark (30's with some make up) seems to be more beleivable when comes to a high tech weapons designer/manufacturer.

Old 10-04-2006, 04:10 AM   #234
James"007"Bond
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeJune
They weren't fetish costumes, they were leather jackets and pants. Uniforms. Besides, the costumes weren't RELEVANT to the X-Men, not in the least. Uniforms, at least, are realistic and understandable than each guy having a customized outfit.
...In other words a lack of creative thinking.

Old 10-04-2006, 08:19 AM   #235
AnimeJune
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by James"007"Bond
...In other words, a bit of realistic thinking, a bit of tone-centered thinking. If they'd been wearing spandex, each one with a customized costume, it would have been a cheddar-fest. There is creativity to be hand in simpler designs, James.

Old 10-04-2006, 10:24 AM   #236
Compi716
The SHH! Jew

Hey guys, I've been away for a bit, and when I recently went to the main page, I saw this. WOW!!

Great casting, in my opinion. I think he'll do a great job as Iron Man.

I write for this talent agency's blog. Read it, 'cause it's awesome: http://atbtalent.blogspot.com/
Old 10-04-2006, 12:55 PM   #237
dr.strange
Side-Kick

remember people,michael keaton was bruce wayne/batman.how do i get to favreau's my space page?

Old 10-04-2006, 04:13 PM   #238
Nightwing 52
Things change

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.strange
remember people,michael keaton was bruce wayne/batman.how do i get to favreau's my space page?
Favreau's page.
Iron Man movie group.

Old 10-05-2006, 06:48 AM   #239
James"007"Bond
Banned User

Quote:
...In other words, a bit of realistic thinking, a bit of tone-centered thinking. If they'd been wearing spandex, each one with a customized costume, it would have been a cheddar-fest. There is creativity to be hand in simpler designs, James.
They could have used the same fabrics ala spider-man and gotten very creative with colouring and design instead of the lackluster, "lets throw these mutant freaks in black leather, yay"!

Old 10-05-2006, 12:22 PM   #240
AnimeJune
Side-Kick

Quote:
They could have used the same fabrics ala spider-man and gotten very creative with colouring and design instead of the lackluster, "lets throw these mutant freaks in black leather, yay"!
They couldn't have had individual costumes - it wouldn't have made sense and it wouldn't have been realistic. Since when do teenagers have the time and inclination to sew and design complicated costumes? Since when would LOGAN have the time and inclination to sew and design complicated costumes?

Old 10-05-2006, 01:12 PM   #241
I SEE SPIDEY
Banned User

Quote:
exactly!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 10-05-2006, 03:34 PM   #242
Thot
Side-Kick

I hadn't thought too deeply about casting for Iron Man, but I was surprised by Favreau's choice of Downey Jr. Wasn't sure what to think at first, but RDJ is, without doubt, a fine actor and has the chops to pull off whatever he's given to work with. Tony Stark's physical appearance isn't quite as important as, say, Bruce Wayne's or Clark Kent's due to their images being more iconic. But RDJ is close enough to comic book renderings of Tony Stark to be acceptable to fans and general audiences. Can't wait!!

Old 10-05-2006, 08:47 PM   #243
Hotwire
Dealin' W/ Demons

Quote:
I feel that the matching costumes weren't costumes at all. They were uniforms. It made them all part of a team. Just like the 1st X-Men comic, they all wore the same uniform.

Old 10-06-2006, 01:37 AM   #244
HULKSTER'04
Banned User

Downey is an awesome choice for Iron Man!

Old 10-06-2006, 02:38 AM   #245
James"007"Bond
Banned User

Quote:
They couldn't have had individual costumes - it wouldn't have made sense and it wouldn't have been realistic. Since when do teenagers have the time and inclination to sew and design complicated costumes? Since when would LOGAN have the time and inclination to sew and design complicated costumes?
You are so boring.
Where the hell has your suspension of disbelief gone? These are comic cartoons being brought to life. Who cares where their suits came from? Even if it was a case of explaining it, I'm sure any good writer could come up with something. These are mutants with larger than life extraordinary powers and you'r worried about where their costumes came from??

Old 10-06-2006, 02:40 AM   #246
James"007"Bond
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal'Akai
I feel that the matching costumes weren't costumes at all. They were uniforms. It made them all part of a team. Just like the 1st X-Men comic, they all wore the same uniform.
and the sad part is that, even back then, the costume designs and colouring were better than the all black leather crap.

Old 10-06-2006, 02:44 AM   #247
Hades
Awaiting Email Confirmation

God, people. Just shut up and love ROBERT!
You know why he did all the drugs? you know why he sniffed cokecaine out of hookers asscrackers everynight? you know why? because he wanted to feel loved. Now he's finally seen the light and realized sniffing cocaine out of hookers *******s everynight is not the kind of love he was looking for. No, it was a dark swampy, mystic, drug fuled RAGE!!!1 But now that he has quit, you people still won't accept him. You point out how weather worn he is, and how..crappy he looks. Well, you don't think he doesn't notice everyday he wakes up and looks at his permanately hung over looking face in the mirror? oh, yes he feels it. So I say this to you brothers, and sistesr. Leave poor Downey alone.

Old 10-06-2006, 03:00 AM   #248
pika122689
Side-Kick

Actually yes. He is a respectable choice, and he does look like the comic book version.

Old 10-06-2006, 08:25 PM   #249
AnimeJune
Side-Kick

Quote:
You are so boring.
Where the hell has your suspension of disbelief gone? These are comic cartoons being brought to life. Who cares where their suits came from? Even if it was a case of explaining it, I'm sure any good writer could come up with something. These are mutants with larger than life extraordinary powers and you'r worried about where their costumes came from??
Suspension of disbelief is one thing - tackiness is another. I HATED the X-men costumes, but I could suspend my disbelief so long as real people weren't wearing them. I mean, Sabretooth jumped around in a FUR-LINED LEOTARD! No way would I buy that!

Besides - the X-men movies weren't made only for comic-book fans, they were made for general audiences whose sense of disbelief is, shall we say, a little more discerning than you.

Old 10-07-2006, 01:15 PM   #250
DACMAN
The Spidey Fan

He looks to old.

SPIDEY QUIPS SONY! JUST ASK BENDIS AND WATCH!

Closed Thread