The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

View Poll Results: Which was the better movie?
Man of Steel by a mile 352 80.00%
Man of Steel....barely 39 8.86%
both equal in my eyes 15 3.41%
Superman Returns ...barely 23 5.23%
Superman Returns by a mile 11 2.50%
Voters: 440. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 06-15-2013, 05:44 PM   #126
Indy Flash
Archeological Speedster

Default Re: OK...its time.....Man of Steel vs Superman Returns

Man of steel

Old 06-15-2013, 05:48 PM   #127
Superherofan123
Side-Kick

MOS and it's not even close. And I don't dislike SR. MOS is superior in every way IMO. I loved it. I honestly thinks it's better than anything marvel has out out and I really like those movies! I just feel MOS is on a different level.

Old 06-15-2013, 06:43 PM   #128
Spiderine
Sho nuff

I take MOS for a number of reasons over SR. But mainly they have set themselves up nicely for an interesting sequel. And I may finally get the Lex I have wanted for years.

Old 06-15-2013, 07:07 PM   #129
EliteF50
Side-Kick

Which was a better Superman movie? Man of Steel. Which was a better movie in general? Man of Steel.

Superman Returns was incredibly boring and cheesy. Besides, seeing Superman cry and holler as his face is being grabbed will never make me not laugh. Who thought that was a good idea?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...u2C3234c#t=49s

"The first rule of 'Tusi is to not talk about 'Tusi."
Listen to my updated Bane voice impression!
Old 06-15-2013, 08:00 PM   #130
sf2
Side-Kick

MOS is the totally opposite of SR.
MOS has the story right n huge potential for the sequel. While SR story is bad n head into a bottleneck development for sequel.

The destruction in MOS is massive in scale n chaotic, SR is small n in order.

SR has the superman elements of crowd pleasing saving scenes like saving metrpolis n a lot more saving scenes in montage way. MOS doesnt show much.

MOs is full of macho-ness. SR is melodrama.

Old 06-15-2013, 09:35 PM   #131
Caped Wonder
Newbie First Class

Superman Returns, just by a little bit. I really felt that movie big time in the theaters in 2006. Less so with Man of Steel in 2013. I saw SR like 5 times in theatres in '06. While I loved MoS, I doubt I will see it in theaters more than twice.

Old 06-15-2013, 09:51 PM   #132
sf2
Side-Kick

N most important, after watching SR, u feel depressed; while for MOS u feel pumped up. U crave for more!!! U want more krypton, more smallville, more Lois lane nn most of all, u want more superman.

Old 06-15-2013, 10:01 PM   #133
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Man of Steel is the Superman movie I've always wanted to see.

Superman Returns is a weak attempt in trying to continue on one of the most iconic CBM series(Superman I and II).

Old 06-15-2013, 10:19 PM   #134
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anno_Domini View Post
Man of Steel is the Superman movie I've always wanted to see.

Superman Returns is a weak attempt in trying to continue on one of the most iconic CBM series(Superman I and II).
MOS does a great job of showing the dimensionality of Clark, nice, humble, bold, fearful, caring. It's pretty much Superman from the page!

Old 06-15-2013, 10:20 PM   #135
ManInTheNarrows
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalhawj View Post
That's what a sequel is for.. MOS sequel will focus on Superman secret identity to the world, his relationship with Lois, his struggle with the villian (Lex) + a superman villain, and what most people would want is his charm. He has already accepted his Destiny as Superman in MOS and can focus on saving lives and not having to hide anymore. I have a gut feeling the sequel can be as good or better than TDK script with an evil billionaire Luther who help build Metropolis back from the damage left by Superman and Zod.

I couldn't agree with you more. It's as if audience goers and fans could't see this simply unfolding before their eyes especially with the way the film ended. To me it was a given with the way WB/DC would approach the sequel.

MOS was absolutely a fantastic film and a fantastic set up film as well. We don't need another angst ridden origin story as we have received that already thanks to Dick Donners films and it was revisited again in Returns even though it didn't have to be.

I told all of my friends and family, first and foremost this is a setup film/quasi origin film and if you go in with that mind set then you will enjoy it even more.

Old 06-15-2013, 10:52 PM   #136
conan69
Cimmerian

Quote:
Most of those who fail to see any merits in SR, are basically fans of movies with CGI effects and action.
Quote:
People have disliked SR long before MOS came out, so don't use that as an excuse.

SR had so many CGI effects and action, I can't see your point.
But theres a difference in the way the action is presented. Watch the airplane scene in SR and then basically any scene in MOS.

In MOS the camera is flipping, swooshing, zooming, jerking and zipping all over the place and 100 miles a hour. Why do people think that the more **** there is in the frame flying by at the speed of light = a good thing. Thats NOT how to raise or present tension.. in fact, that kind of film making wrecks it.

This explains it perfectly and I agree 1000%
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QThD0r3hZg (if u want to get to the point, go to 2:10)

I dont dislike MOS, but to me, the plane scene in SR is better done than any of the cool crazy action seqeunces in MOS. You can see Superman working on a solution, the frame isnt moving by at 1000miles a hour, he is THE focus of the shot, your eyes arent bombarded with a zillion pieces of information every second while gummy people flop all over the frame .

What ever happened to composition, camera placement, focus and framing? All this goes out the window with the fill the frame with as much crap as you can, and fly it by the audience as fast as possible action shots that are becoming more common in movies.

"Once again, science saves the day. The end."
-Hubert J. Farnsworth

Last edited by conan69; 06-15-2013 at 11:01 PM.
Old 06-15-2013, 11:43 PM   #137
blumatic
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by conan69 View Post
But theres a difference in the way the action is presented. Watch the airplane scene in SR and then basically any scene in MOS.

In MOS the camera is flipping, swooshing, zooming, jerking and zipping all over the place and 100 miles a hour. Why do people think that the more **** there is in the frame flying by at the speed of light = a good thing. Thats NOT how to raise or present tension.. in fact, that kind of film making wrecks it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QThD0r3hZg (if u want to get to the point, go to 2:10)

I dont dislike MOS, but to me, the plane scene in SR is better done than any of the cool crazy action seqeunces in MOS. You can see Superman working on a solution, the frame isnt moving by at 1000miles a hour, he is THE focus of the shot, your eyes arent bombarded with a zillion pieces of information every second while gummy people flop all over the frame .

What ever happened to composition, camera placement, focus and framing? All this goes out the window with the fill the frame with as much crap as you can, and fly it by the audience as fast as possible action shots that are becoming more common in movies.
How about more than one way to show action in a film. Diversity is great. And here's the difference between MOS and SR. In MOS multiple superbeings were going at it. In SR the only action was something falling and Superman catching.

I respect Snyder as a director. I think he has a great talent. He can so stuff that Nolan can't do and vice versa.

Too many people here think they're experts. But what these experts fail to think is that if they made a film people will rip it apart and say it's bad film making because those people think that they're experts.

I'm glad I'm just a fan and ignorant to this technical stuff. Too many yall have seen how the sausage is made.

Old 06-15-2013, 11:45 PM   #138
Matt
IKYN Guy Groupie

Both are just sort of updates of the Donner films, but I'd argue MOS does it better. I'm still waiting for a Superman movie, not an adaptation of Richard Donner's Superman.

Old 06-15-2013, 11:49 PM   #139
Tony Stark
Armored Avenger!

man of steel was the better of the two, but that doesn't mean man of steel wasn't without problems. Superman Returns was a love letter to Richard Donner, and while there were some good elements to the film, it was ultimately a failure.

Man of Steel is a good reintroduction to the character, but it is not among the top films in the genre and thusly behind the Donner version dated as it might be.

The redeeming thing about Man of Steel is Cavil. I just hope he is given more to work with next time. About the time he's walking into the Daily Planet, I'm thinking to myself, "now this movie is going somewhere" and then it ends.

Old 06-15-2013, 11:51 PM   #140
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

^ MOS was more super than "man" but there was a lot of good human interaction, IMHO.

Old 06-15-2013, 11:55 PM   #141
conan69
Cimmerian

Quote:
Too many people here think they're experts
Or maybe they just have...you know... their own opinion.

And everyone has likes and dislikes, preferences and what constitutes "a good film". Most here will say they want thei CBMs to be well made... who doesnt?

Would you say to someone who wants well developed characters that theyre being too technical and nitpicky about the content of their movies?

"Once again, science saves the day. The end."
-Hubert J. Farnsworth

Last edited by conan69; 06-16-2013 at 12:45 AM.
Old 06-16-2013, 12:09 AM   #142
danoyse
Snikt. Stab. Repeat.
SHH! Administrator

I definitely enjoyed Man of Steel more, but there were moments where it could have used Superman Returns' subtleness.

”We live in times when hate and fear seem stronger. We rise and fall, and light from dying embers: remembrances that hope and love last longer. And love is love is love is love is love is love is love cannot be killed or swept aside."
Old 06-16-2013, 12:10 AM   #143
Frodo
Side-Kick

Imo all of the Superman films have had problems and flaws to one degree or another , as with all the live action tv shows. The first two Donner films weren't flawless, and shows like Smallville and L&C surely had alot of all time lows. I think the question is , to the extent something has flaws, are they great enough to ruin a film for you. For me, MOS was near perfect because it was the Superman film I wanted to see.

I didn't want to see Superman 78 redone for 2013. I didn't want the story told again in the same way , with the same story beats that have been done since the 30's. I wanted to see a new spin even though Smallville just went off the air a couple of years ago.

I had a much different standard and expectations than I think alot of fans going into MOS did. For me the onus was on Nolan inc, to come up with something New and to at least attempt to take the story and the characters in a new place and direction. At the same time , I wanted them to act in the spirit of what's come before.

For me , they did that. They told the story in a way I didn't expect and they adapted the myth to reflect the world of 2013 not the world 30's, 50's, 70's, or 90's. It achieved its mission statement as far as i'm concerned. So that's where I'm coming from in my enjoyment and evaluation of the film.

Old 06-16-2013, 12:14 AM   #144
Tony Stark
Armored Avenger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by conan69 View Post

I have to agree with this. I am so sick of the "shaky cam" stuff. I wasn't a fan of it when Raimi used it in Spider-man 3, and I'm certainly not a fan here.

Old 06-16-2013, 12:17 AM   #145
DorneyDave
Banned User

For me

Superman Return is like a flat soda. Yeah it still tastes like soda, there some semblance of something good but it is a pain to get through and it leaves you very unsatisfied.

Man of Steel is like cracking open a ice cold new soda on a hot day...and drinking it. Ahhhh.....refreshing.

This post brought to you by Coke apparently.

Old 06-16-2013, 12:18 AM   #146
danoyse
Snikt. Stab. Repeat.
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
I have to agree with this. I am so sick of the "shaky cam" stuff. I wasn't a fan of it when Raimi used it in Spider-man 3, and I'm certainly not a fan here.
I wasn't a fan of the shaky cam either. A little, I can deal with...but this had way too much.

I loved the action sequences - honestly, I don't remember ever seeing Superman beat the crap out of so many things - but it was also a little hard to follow.

”We live in times when hate and fear seem stronger. We rise and fall, and light from dying embers: remembrances that hope and love last longer. And love is love is love is love is love is love is love cannot be killed or swept aside."
Old 06-16-2013, 12:23 AM   #147
mclay18
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by danoyse View Post
I definitely enjoyed Man of Steel more, but there were moments where it could have used Superman Returns' subtleness.
I agree with you 100%... the only thing SR does better was the sublime John Ottman score. Even when you deduct John Williams' themes from it, it was emotionally potent and subtle where it needed to be. Zimmer's MOS score had the subtlety of a sledgehammer to a steel door.

Oh, and Singer had a better sense of comedic timing. Lex being caught off guard when Lois sneaks on his boat (plus Jason's "You're bald" comment) is priceless. Or Jimmy's awkward burrito munching at the Daily Planet after Lois' rendezvous with Superman.

But they're two tonally different films. But I think they both nailed some of the more emotional Superman/Lois scenes, even if MOS didn't have much of them.

Old 06-16-2013, 12:24 AM   #148
The Batman
The Dark Knight

MoS or SR?

Dosen't matter. Neither of them could top or reach the level of a 35 year old movie, IMO.

Old 06-16-2013, 12:29 AM   #149
Str8 Rippin
Side-Kick

Man of Steel. Its amazing how polar opposite these movies are though. It would be interesting to see how a fusion of both movies would go, I actually think it would be pretty good.

Amy Adams as Lois Lane in Superman Returns would have been interesting though. Think she would have been a really solid fit there.

Old 06-16-2013, 12:32 AM   #150
danoyse
Snikt. Stab. Repeat.
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclay18 View Post
I agree with you 100%... the only thing SR does better was the sublime John Ottman score. Even when you deduct John Williams' themes from it, it was emotionally potent and subtle where it needed to be. Zimmer's MOS score had the subtlety of a sledgehammer to a steel door.

Oh, and Singer had a better sense of comedic timing. Lex being caught off guard when Lois sneaks on his boat (plus Jason's "You're bald" comment) is priceless. Or Jimmy's awkward burrito munching at the Daily Planet after Lois' rendezvous with Superman.

But they're two tonally different films. But I think they both nailed some of the more emotional Superman/Lois scenes, even if MOS didn't have much of them.
It soooo needed the humor. The moment where the jerk in the bar found his truck was great. It needed a few more moments like that. It was almost like the Kents were also trying to keep the audience from seeing the things Clark could do.

I really enjoyed MOS. I grew up with the Donner films, I still love those first two movies and will always have a crush on Christopher Reeve. Returns tried to recapture that, but really couldn't. MOS was the fresh start that has been long overdue.

Closed Thread