The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > TV Series > The Punisher

Old 11-17-2017, 02:08 AM   #1
flickchick85
Loose Seal
SHH! Global Moderator

Default Season 1, Episode 6 "The Judas Goat" (USE SPOILER TAGS!)

EPISODE 6: "The Judas Goat"

Use spoiler tags when discussing the events of any future episodes.

"They say: sufferings are misfortunes...Once we're thrown off our habitual paths, we think all is lost; but it's only here that the new and good begins.

As long as there's life, there's happiness. There's much, much still to come."

flickchick85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 11:09 AM   #2
Mike Murdock
Side-Kick

Default Re: Season 1, Episode 6 "The Judas Goat" (USE SPOILER TAGS!)

My thought last episode with Madani was that it was weird how she was having sex with clothes on. I guess they took them off this episode. I guess it's part of the Billy Russo story. There's a lot that bothers me about it. I don't think Madani would have her files with her like that and allow Billy to look at them. I also feel like the radio broadcasts would have been less suspicious if they had started after Madani told Russo that Frank was alive. While it's easily understandable before, it still comes off as odd. All in all it leads to a fairly unremarkable twist ending. I may have had a moment or two of not suspecting him based on his unconditioned support of Frank Castle's morals, but that was about it. It doesn't help that I remembered who his comic book character was. I do hope this twist will do some good. With Russo not being outed as a bad guy, there was a sense that the antagonists in this piece would disappear for episodes at a time. I get that there is a slow build here and they aren't having Frank shoot it out each episode, but there is a sense of everyone existing rather than progressing the story.

The sideplot with the kid going through PTSD, etc. was more interesting. I really liked the courthouse scene. I appreciate that there's a combination of traditional left wing values (right to protest, free speech, anti-authoritarian, etc.) combined with very right wing NRA messaging. The officer was 100% wrong here. I feel this is the second episode I've seen with a fake "reached for my weapon" moment, but I could be wrong. Either way, the fact that the other guy abandoned him shows how low things have gone and how he feels he has no one to turn to. It's also interesting to bring up the whole Stolen Valor Thing. Speaking of free speech, there is a law about how you can't pretend to have earned military honors you didn't earn that the Supreme Court said violated one's right to free speech. That's very much true in the sense that they are just stories not done to defraud anyone, but you can see how they still hurt for someone who served. Still, things escallated very quickly when the kid found out. At first, I wondered if having the guy with a knife was a cop out, but the kid certainly took it to the next level when he probably didn't have to, so I think it fit his story.

I also continue to like the Micro watching his family interact with Frank stuff. There's very much the sense that he's killing his family more by playing dead than he would have if alive.

I'd say there are things to chew on even if I wished the story would move a bit faster. Four Stars.

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
Mike Murdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 03:57 PM   #3
KRYPTON INC.
Side-Kick

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
I was wondering when the reveal of Russo would happen and how it would go down. It got to the point I forgot his ultimate destiny. I have liked the build up, and on the show it actually broke my heart a bit, cuz I didn't know exactly what their take on Jigsaw was going to be seeing how they have presented Russo so far.

For me I am fine with the slow pace. I like the grounded nature of the series. When I was a young comic reader I saw Punisher as more in line with the Stallone/Schwarzenegger films of the 80's. But with how they introduced Frank in DD2 I think this approach works really well and if the series was just a turn into actionville it would feel off given how Frank's story was set up. And I like the building of character. And all around this cast is doing really great with their characters.

He truly proved that every person has the potential to be a force for good in this life. So anyone that reads this, do me a favor... Call your parents.

http://www.tobecontinuedafanboypodcast.com/ To Be Continued A Fanboy Podcast: THE INCREDIBLES 2 Spoiler Review Discussion.
KRYPTON INC. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 11:11 AM   #4
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

Well I thought Lewis was gonna kill Curtis, but when he did nothing, I had a feeling it was gonna be the other guy. Though, the way the scene played out, I’m not sure he would have done it then if the knife was never involved.

I was thinking they would reveal Russo’s intentions later on.

I’m not feeling Madani and Russo together. Just feels off. The transition to the sex scene in this one was awkward. And her having the files out like that was dumb.

Micro’s son, man.

Lencho01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 01:00 PM   #5
BestGirl
Chillin' on Dragonstone

Worst episode of the season until the reveal at the end, which was admittedly spectacular.

I'm sick to death of the "O'Connor/Lewis and Lieberman family subplots. Why is Micro allowing Frank to hang around his family so much anyway? Isn't he jealous?

Cynicism is not maturity, do not mistake the one for the other. If you truly cannot accept a story where someone does the right thing because it’s the right thing to do, that says far more about who you are than these characters. - Greg Rucka
BestGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 10:04 PM   #6
Speed Force
There was an idea...

I knew Billy was up to no good. I think it's really starting to get good now.

I do wonder though, what happened to that kid from the construction site that Frank saved? Thought he might show up again at some point but maybe not

Speed Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 03:34 AM   #7
Nathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Force View Post
I do wonder though, what happened to that kid from the construction site that Frank saved?
Frank left him a note on the bag, telling him to leave town.

Old 11-21-2017, 06:38 AM   #8
Speed Force
There was an idea...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
Frank left him a note on the bag, telling him to leave town.
That's right! Thanks. I remember seeing something on the bag but I couldn't make it out.

Speed Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 03:34 PM   #9
Iceman
Infinity War!

I guess we'll see more justification of this version of Russo's turn in the next few episodes.

Old 11-21-2017, 03:36 PM   #10
Iceman
Infinity War!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lencho01 View Post

Micro’s son, man.
Yeah

Can't be a comfortable watch on the cameras.

Old 11-23-2017, 11:50 AM   #11
Steelsheen
Head Geek of Nerdtopia

man they are really gonna make that Punisher-Jigsaw conflict really painful innit, given how close Frank and Billy are.

im really loving this season so far. got a good mix of exposition and action.

xxxMADNESS IS LIKE GRAVITY ALL IT TAKES IS A LITTLE PU
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxS
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxH
Follow me on Twitter: All the Geekery @Steelsheen
Steelsheen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 12:19 PM   #12
righthooksrus86
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelsheen View Post
man they are really gonna make that Punisher-Jigsaw conflict really painful innit, given how close Frank and Billy are.

im really loving this season so far. got a good mix of exposition and action.
You have no idea bro, when I saw what really went down I was like Russo you slimy, dirty basrard!

righthooksrus86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 12:23 PM   #13
Iceman
Infinity War!

Yeah I’m looking forward to finding out. Really can’t picture what will happen yet but I like that all the audience knows about it now (before Frank) and we can watch it unfold.

Old 11-24-2017, 12:23 AM   #14
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

There are so many reasons Frank hanging around Micro's family is bad.

But just for one thing, how can they not realize that man is Frank Castle? Castle's trial and his incarceration was well publicized. His identity was well known.

Also other reasons. Micro is staying out of his family's lives to keep them safe. So Frank Castle having continued contact with them is safer than Micro? C'mon.

- CM Punk
TheVileOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 10:51 AM   #15
dmcreif
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVileOne View Post
There are so many reasons Frank hanging around Micro's family is bad.

But just for one thing, how can they not realize that man is Frank Castle? Castle's trial and his incarceration was well publicized. His identity was well known.

Also other reasons. Micro is staying out of his family's lives to keep them safe. So Frank Castle having continued contact with them is safer than Micro? C'mon.
Except, Frank has been believed to be dead for months. And also, there are many celebrities who are on TV all the time that I wouldn't recognize if I had a random encounter with them in public. And Sarah had also first gotten acquainted with Frank while he still had the hipster look.

dmcreif is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 08:17 AM   #16
Spider-Aziz
Death Match Taunt

I think Lewis deserves a lot of attention here (I don't know how army life goes, tell me if I'm wrong at something)...
He thinks he did terrible things in the field, but then he wants to go back to what gave him nightmares.. afraid that he nearly shot his father, but works on the right to owning a gun. Why?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Murdock View Post
I don't think Madani would have her files with her like that and allow Billy to look at them. I also feel like the radio broadcasts would have been less suspicious if they had started after Madani told Russo that Frank was alive.
Why did she carry her files with her to the bar anyway? Did they have a second night off-screen?

YOUTUBE
Michael Keaton's Batman is the ASMR master of superheroes.

The internet: You formed your personal opinion and liked something popular? You are part of the herd. You like something new and unpopular? Cult of the new.
Spider-Aziz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 09:20 PM   #17
righthooksrus86
Side-Kick

Lewis looked like he probably joined the army when he was around 18, when you start that young war becomes all you know. In Afghanistan surrounded by his battle buddies it almost becomes home. When you look at Frank, it's the same thing with him he started young in the military and then war just became home.

righthooksrus86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 11:47 AM   #18
KingCheops
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by righthooksrus86 View Post
Lewis looked like he probably joined the army when he was around 18, when you start that young war becomes all you know. In Afghanistan surrounded by his battle buddies it almost becomes home. When you look at Frank, it's the same thing with him he started young in the military and then war just became home.
I feel so bad for Lewis. Literally everything is being ripped away from him. Curtis is going a little too hard on him and really should have escalated the case up to someone with some more training.

Kid has it so bad that he's living in a fox hole. He gets some purpose hoping to join Anvil and you rip that away. He joins up with a constitutionalist nut who bails when cops show up. Curtis bails him out but then rips away Lewis's new purpose. No wonder he snapped after the initial self-defense wound.

KingCheops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 08:37 PM   #19
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themyscira

I don't know if I'll ever finish this series. It's so slow and boring. There's still another half a season to go. I'm struggling to even finish this episode.

Dark Raven is offline   Reply With Quote