The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Games > Misc. and Multiplatform Games

Old 12-27-2015, 08:49 PM   #51
Thoix
Side-Kick

Default Re: Rise of the Tomb Raider

I absolutely love this game so far. I loved the reboot, but the sequel has been better and every way so far. If Rise of the Tomb Raider doesn't falter now it will easily be my Game of of the Year.

That being said, I am still not pleased with the "timed-exclusive" BS. It really should have been released on all systems at once.

1. THE DARK KNIGHT | 2. THE DARK KNIGHT RISES | 3. BATMAN BEGINS | 4. SPIDER-MAN 2 | 5. MAN OF STEEL

6. V FOR VENDETTA | 7. BATMAN: MASK OF THE PHANTASM | 8. X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST | 9. IRON MAN | 10. KICK-ASS
Thoix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 05:16 AM   #52
OutOfBoose
Russian Hacker

Games like Watch Dogs, RofTR, Arkham Knight, MGSV make me wonder - why developers don't create a theater mode in their games? Or don't create manual save, so we can save before them, at least. With so many gorgeous real-time cutscenes it's just a crime. The last game in my memory that did it right was Resident Evil 5 (or 6). If you want to watch it again, you have to replay the game. That's cruel.

OutOfBoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 11:59 AM   #53
Tron Bonne
All Ass, No Sass

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpideyVille View Post
The thing is, no one had any idea Fallout was releasing the same day until it was announced. It wasn't stupid, it was just really bad luck and timing for Microsoft.
Yeah. Now, MS or Square probably should have done something when that was announced, admittedly, but I don't think they purposely lead it to that.

"When you see a John Woo film, it's comforting to know how shallow the world really is. The full force of the manly coolness factor with a peice of nose hair sticking out from the tiny crack between manly and cool, exposes the thinness of the male hormone factor. It takes an idiot to do cool things. That's why it's cool."

Quote:
I was a North American Fall Webworm in my past life. Those were the good old days.
Tron Bonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 01:03 PM   #54
SpideyVille
Walking out the Desert

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfBoose View Post
Games like Watch Dogs, RofTR, Arkham Knight, MGSV make me wonder - why developers don't create a theater mode in their games? Or don't create manual save, so we can save before them, at least. With so many gorgeous real-time cutscenes it's just a crime. The last game in my memory that did it right was Resident Evil 5 (or 6). If you want to watch it again, you have to replay the game. That's cruel.
Eh, if I want to "re-watch" a game, I'll just find some "movie" video on Youtube. Nowadays there's always a bunch of videos there that have no commentary and either include gameplay or not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tron Bonne View Post
Yeah. Now, MS or Square probably should have done something when that was announced, admittedly, but I don't think they purposely lead it to that.
But realistically speaking, what could they have done? Bethesda shocked the world with their early conference and reveal, and at that point, it was too late because Microsoft was all set to announce RoTR release at their conference hours later. Now, it's nearly impossible to push the release date to be earlier because you figure they picked the date they picked for a reason, because that's when they anticipate it will be ready.

Now, let's say they did push it back ... First off, that already hurts Microsoft because you figure their "exclusive" deal has an expiration date (which we now know will be in January for PC) and that gives people another option to go for, which takes sales away from Microsoft. Aside from that, the week before was CoD, the week after was Battlefront, and the week after was Thanksgiving, where most people are out shopping for deals, not full priced games, and after that is Just Cause's release, which is another SE game, so you know they're not going to want competition, not to mention, people are focusing more on finishing up games for GOTY discussion, not starting new ones that just released.

At the end of the day, there's nothing that Square or Microsoft could have done to help sales. With that said, the only real loser here is Microsoft because you figure that SE and Crystal Dynamics got money upfront based on what anticipated sales would be, plus they'll be making money on their own once it comes to PC and later PS4. Microsoft wanted a big game exclusive to go against PS4 and Uncharted, before it was delayed, and it backfired in their face. But the game still has great reviews and it will be coming to other platforms soon, so really the only loser here, and they are a big loser, is Microsoft.

Old 12-28-2015, 01:10 PM   #55
Tron Bonne
All Ass, No Sass

They should have just pushed it to January. Releasing at the same time as the PC version wouldn't have been a big deal

"When you see a John Woo film, it's comforting to know how shallow the world really is. The full force of the manly coolness factor with a peice of nose hair sticking out from the tiny crack between manly and cool, exposes the thinness of the male hormone factor. It takes an idiot to do cool things. That's why it's cool."

Quote:
I was a North American Fall Webworm in my past life. Those were the good old days.
Old 12-28-2015, 04:35 PM   #56
SpideyVille
Walking out the Desert

Quote:
They should have just pushed it to January. Releasing at the same time as the PC version wouldn't have been a big deal
What's the point of an exclusivity deal then? Microsoft paid the extra dollars to have it available for only their platform. They didn't want a console exclusive like Sony has with Kojima's next project is going to be. They wanted a full, limited, exclusivity deal.

If anything, without Microsoft's involvement, the game could have either been set for a Spring 2016 release for all platforms for all we know. Or it would have had the same release date as now and still suffered, just not as badly since more people own PS4s.

At the end of the day, the biggest thing that hurt the sales is not solely Fallout, but also the fact that it was released on a console that isn't selling as well as it should.

Old 12-28-2015, 05:42 PM   #57
Marvolo
Side-Kick

Quote:
What's the point of an exclusivity deal then? Microsoft paid the extra dollars to have it available for only their platform. They didn't want a console exclusive like Sony has with Kojima's next project is going to be. They wanted a full, limited, exclusivity deal.

If anything, without Microsoft's involvement, the game could have either been set for a Spring 2016 release for all platforms for all we know. Or it would have had the same release date as now and still suffered, just not as badly since more people own PS4s.

At the end of the day, the biggest thing that hurt the sales is not solely Fallout, but also the fact that it was released on a console that isn't selling as well as it should.
It would have still been a Microsoft exclusive if they released it in January 2016.

The Most Astounding Fact (Neil deGrasse Tyson, HD):
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Marvolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 07:32 PM   #58
SpideyVille
Walking out the Desert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvolo View Post
It would have still been a Microsoft exclusive if they released it in January 2016.
How though? PC isn't looked at the same as PS4 in terms of competition, but it still has a strong support base and while it would definitely sell more overall, Microsoft would still be losing money because they don't profit off PC sales.

I understand their business model, which was basically "If you really want to play this game, buy our system because the game is awesome and you can't get it anywhere else." The problem is, it didn't work, and now we're a month away from PC owners getting it.

Old 12-28-2015, 09:44 PM   #59
Marvolo
Side-Kick

Quote:
How though? PC isn't looked at the same as PS4 in terms of competition, but it still has a strong support base and while it would definitely sell more overall, Microsoft would still be losing money because they don't profit off PC sales.

I understand their business model, which was basically "If you really want to play this game, buy our system because the game is awesome and you can't get it anywhere else." The problem is, it didn't work, and now we're a month away from PC owners getting it.
They wouldnt have lost much if any money by releasing it in January. No one is going to choose to buy a $1000+ gaming pc rig over a $300 XBox One. The people without gaming rigs were going to buy it on Xbox One whether it came out in October or Janiary. And the hardcore PC gamers were always going to wait until January for the PC version.

They should have just released the Xbox and PC version in January or released the Xbox version in December. That would have gotten it a month away from Fallout 4 and would have had the game coming out during Christmas shopping season.

The Most Astounding Fact (Neil deGrasse Tyson, HD):
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Marvolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 10:41 PM   #60
SpideyVille
Walking out the Desert

Quote:
They wouldnt have lost much if any money by releasing it in January. No one is going to choose to buy a $1000+ gaming pc rig over a $300 XBox One. The people without gaming rigs were going to buy it on Xbox One whether it came out in October or Janiary. And the hardcore PC gamers were always going to wait until January for the PC version.

They should have just released the Xbox and PC version in January or released the Xbox version in December. That would have gotten it a month away from Fallout 4 and would have had the game coming out during Christmas shopping season.
Rainbow Six and Just Cause were both released in December and neither has had hot sales. Not to mention, Square Enix is not going to push it's biggest title to within a week or two of another one of it's big titles.

And you seem to forget, whether they moved it or not, they already lost money regardless. Let's say Microsoft paid $100,000 for the game to be released two and a half month before the PC release. They made this deal way back in the first half of the year, when Uncharted, PS4's biggest exclusive to date (prior to E3) was supposed to be released. Microsoft needed their own version of the game to draw people away from PS4, so they took the risk that people would rather play Tomb Raider instead of Uncharted. With Uncharted's delay, that favored Microsoft greatly since Sony wasn't going to have any big exclusives for the quarter. So now MS is expecting to make back it's $100,000 and then some profit in the two and a half months after release. TR has enough good buzz that it justified the risk.

Now, come E3, Fallout 4 is not only announced, but it's release date is the same day as RotR and i was announced on the same date. At this point, MS is screwed. They've already paid their money for the exclusivity and they need to see their money's worth before the game is expanding to other platforms. So to see that the game made half of what they were expecting, it looks like a huge mistake to buy some exclusive time.

Meanwhile, SE is not hurting at all because they already got paid for the game regardless, and will continue to make money from PC and PS4 sales, whereas Microsoft is just trying to break even at this point.

So the issue here is not whether the game should have gotten delayed, it's that Microsoft took a gamble, and it failed. No different that Sega taking a gamble with the Dreamcast or any company for that matter taking a gamble on a product that doesn't return on it's investment. At the end of the day, it's business and I can guarantee that in the future, we'll see a multi-platform sequel on day one because Microsoft may not be willing to do anymore timed-exclusives.

Old 12-29-2015, 01:35 PM   #61
SpideyVille
Walking out the Desert

I was just listening to the podcast PS I Love You XOXO, and they brought up a really good point about this exclusivity deal.

While Square Enix may have benefited a bit financially from this right now, the simple fact of them agreeing to make this deal could lead to a lot of bad will from Sony's behalf. Like, imagine if Sony just didn't promote or market this game in the Fall, SE would be losing a lot of potential sales there as well. Die hard fans would buy it, but the general population won't really be informed. After all, Microsoft backed this up with the hopes that it would be the Playstation/Uncharted killer, so why would Sony want to promote this, especially after their star, Uncharted will have been out already.

Just some interesting food for thought about just how bad this deal could turn out for all parties involved.

Old 12-29-2015, 01:52 PM   #62
X Knight
Hope

Quote:
I was just listening to the podcast PS I Love You XOXO, and they brought up a really good point about this exclusivity deal.

While Square Enix may have benefited a bit financially from this right now, the simple fact of them agreeing to make this deal could lead to a lot of bad will from Sony's behalf. Like, imagine if Sony just didn't promote or market this game in the Fall, SE would be losing a lot of potential sales there as well. Die hard fans would buy it, but the general population won't really be informed. After all, Microsoft backed this up with the hopes that it would be the Playstation/Uncharted killer, so why would Sony want to promote this, especially after their star, Uncharted will have been out already.

Just some interesting food for thought about just how bad this deal could turn out for all parties involved.
oh, I could see that. I could also see some PS4 owners boycotting the whole thing just because they feel slighted.

which is a shame because from everything that I've heard, it's a great game and better than the 1st.

I know I certainly would have bought it this Xmas if it were multiplat ( or if I still owned an X1......lol ).

Old 12-29-2015, 02:32 PM   #63
Havok83
Side-Kick

Quote:
Not really. The game came out on Xbox One and 360. It was released to a large install base. When you fail to chart the NPD, thats a problem. The XB1 has had exclusive games chart before so being just on MS' platform isnt the problem. Despite the good critical reception TR reboot recieved, the series isnt that big. Releasing in November was about the worse thing they could have done. The last game came out in March and the DE was in January, both of which didnt have the likes of the juggernauts known as CoD, Star Wars, Fallout, Halo, and heck even AC in the close vicinity.

Quote:

People dont choose to buy a PC over an Xbox One, bc most people already have one. And you dont need to spend $1000 on one to play most games. The likes of the $500 graphic cards and 4K gaming is completely unnecessary.

And December is an AWFUL time to release a game. SE tried to make that happen this year with Just Cause 3 and Hitman. 3 games would have been overkill. Luckily they had the good sense to delay Hitman and well JC, from early reports doesnt seem to have fared too well. At leat here in NA, the holiday spending season peaks on BF and if you miss that, then expect your game to not do well bc most people would have spent their money on a ton of other stuff. People either wont have the money to buy new games, or will be preocuppied with what they just got. Games that come out in December, generally do not do well, which is why publishers avoid it.

Quote:

Why should Sony market the game? It seems rather obvious that they wont. It will be an old game by next fall and Sony will finally have its own 1st party titles coming out in 2016 (Uncharted, Last Guardian, Horizon), not to mention the launch of VR. Their advertising budget should be focused on that stuff and the actual third party agreements they have with Activision, EA and others we dont know about yet should be what they promote with the PS4. TR at most will likely be put in a PS4 sizzle reel but I dont see Sony spending any dollars on it, especially since its not a seller. Its SE's game. Its up to them to promote it. Its not even about good or bad will; its common business sense. I dont see Sony holding out some grudge with SE over this. I mean Hitman is supposed to get excluisve missions on the PS4 as well as the beta, so its just another day in business. Ultimately they dont need TR and SE only shot themselves in the foot

Last edited by Havok83; 12-29-2015 at 02:41 PM.
Havok83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 05:12 PM   #64
flickchick85
Loose Seal
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by XtremelyBaneful View Post
Xbox-ers, lol
I don't know the jargon!

"They say: sufferings are misfortunes...Once we're thrown off our habitual paths, we think all is lost; but it's only here that the new and good begins.

As long as there's life, there's happiness. There's much, much still to come."

flickchick85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 05:46 PM   #65
LibidoLoca
Sensually Delicious

Microsoft will sell Rise of Tomb Raider in the Windows Store

http://www.windowscentral.com/rise-t...-windows-store

It's happening!

LibidoLoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 09:24 PM   #66
XtremelyBaneful
XOTWOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by flickchick85 View Post
I don't know the jargon!
I just never heard that one before & thought it was funny it's pretty good!

Indeed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sexy Magician View Post
'you know what let this discussion go.'
Haha
XtremelyBaneful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 10:54 AM   #67
Primal Slayer
Let the Siren scream

Since this was released on 360/One, what are the odds of it being released for PS3 still? Or are they just going to have it on PS4 just to piss me off

Primal Slayer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 11:34 AM   #68
Tron Bonne
All Ass, No Sass

Only a PC and PS4 port has been mentioned. They may still stealthily release a PS3 version, but I wouldn't count on it.

Quote:
Old 12-31-2015, 11:48 AM   #69
Havok83
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
Since this was released on 360/One, what are the odds of it being released for PS3 still? Or are they just going to have it on PS4 just to piss me off
By the time it makes it to Sony's platform(s), it'll be so close to 2017. You really should have a current gen console. The sales of software for last gen has slumped and publishers are seeing diminishing returns on them now. Considering the PS3 has that complicated Cell processor, I dont see it being worth the time or effort to try and port down to that. It'll be an old game and the amount of people that would buy it probably arent enough to justify wasting resources

Havok83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 11:51 AM   #70
X Knight
Hope

actually, they've never really mentioned anything about a PS3 version, have they??

guess they really did slap the PS fans in the face.......lol

if there can be a 360 version, there's no reason why there can't be a PS3 version - aside from the exclusivity deal with MS.

Old 12-31-2015, 12:40 PM   #71
Tron Bonne
All Ass, No Sass

Quote:
Originally Posted by X Knight View Post
actually, they've never really mentioned anything about a PS3 version, have they??
Quote:
Only a PC and PS4 port has been mentioned.
No.

Quote:
Old 12-31-2015, 12:50 PM   #72
X Knight
Hope

^^ ah, thanks.

guess they figured by the time the PS4 version gets released, there's less of a need for a PS3 version.

Old 12-31-2015, 04:05 PM   #73
SpideyVille
Walking out the Desert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
Not really. The game came out on Xbox One and 360. It was released to a large install base. When you fail to chart the NPD, thats a problem. The XB1 has had exclusive games chart before so being just on MS' platform isnt the problem. Despite the good critical reception TR reboot recieved, the series isnt that big. Releasing in November was about the worse thing they could have done. The last game came out in March and the DE was in January, both of which didnt have the likes of the juggernauts known as CoD, Star Wars, Fallout, Halo, and heck even AC in the close vicinity.
I feel like Square Enix is thinking that the overall franchise of Lara Croft and Tomb Raider is supposed to be rich enough that it should drive big numbers, but we've already seen how exaggerated their expectations are when the first game was deemed a financial failure, simply because it didn't sell as well as they thought it should.

But the release for November was Microsoft's decision. At the start of the year, it was believed that Uncharted would release in the Fall, and Microsoft felt that they needed to offer X-Box players their own Uncharted-like experience, so it kinda made sense to aim for the Fall. But like I said, these decisions were just made the week of E3. Microsoft wrote the check months before Uncharted's delay was even announced, so at this point, it makes less sense to delay until January or March. Yes, the game didn't chart well, but at least they made some money on it while it was still exclusive. Hypothetically speaking, they may have aimed for $100,000 in sales, and only made $30,000 in sales, but that $30,000 is a lot better than $0 in in the two and a half months before a possible PC release. They're losing money either way, but they're main goal now is to reduce the difference in hopes of breaking even a the very least and that would have been a lot harder to do had they let a few months pass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
By the time it makes it to Sony's platform(s), it'll be so close to 2017. You really should have a current gen console. The sales of software for last gen has slumped and publishers are seeing diminishing returns on them now. Considering the PS3 has that complicated Cell processor, I dont see it being worth the time or effort to try and port down to that. It'll be an old game and the amount of people that would buy it probably arent enough to justify wasting resources
I don't know, I kinda feel like its a decent chance it gets released on PS3. It really depends on how much Sony continues to support it, but the fact that Microsoft made a 360 version, you'd think that Crystal Dynamics would have a way to get that over to the PS3 as well. But then again, I know its not as a simple Copy and Paste of the code onto a disc, so it could just be ignored altogether.

Old 12-31-2015, 04:10 PM   #74
X Knight
Hope

do you think there's an off chance they will move up the release of the PS4 version?

Old 12-31-2015, 04:15 PM   #75
SpideyVille
Walking out the Desert

Quote:
Originally Posted by X Knight View Post
do you think there's an off chance they will move up the release of the PS4 version?
I doubt it. I highly believe that Microsoft made the deal that the game cannot be released on PS4 until after a certain date. Kind of like how Mass Effect 1 was never released on PS3 until about 5 years later when it was included in the trilogy pack.

I almost wonder, did Microsoft also give them an added boost financially to solely work on the XB1 version so that it could come out sooner, and now CD is finally starting to work on the PS4 version. I mean I guess it wouldn't make much sense to work on both at the same time and then just let the PS4 version sit for a year, but it makes me wonder how much of their resources would be put into making the PS4 version, and what would be in making a sequel.