The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Games > Misc. and Multiplatform Games

Old 07-18-2016, 12:19 PM   #101
SpideyVille
Walking out the Desert

Default Re: Rise of the Tomb Raider

So there has been news spreading over the weekned about the PS4 release date being spoiled in an Italian ad. Depending on how the date format is, it's either Oct 11th (which makes sense since it's a Tuesday), or November 10th (which seems unlikely since it is a Thursday, but it is exactly 1 year after it's release on X1).

What's surprising me a bit is that I've seen a lot of people who are saying they will boycott this game because they don't like Timed Exclusives, so they refuse to support this.

What really bothers me though is how entitled some people seem. Like this one guy I spoke to said he supported the Playstation games for years, so it's not fair that he had to wait a year to play this. I can understand the disappointment, but I'm just grateful that we're getting it period. I also think boycotting it in general would reflect poorly on the game, and wouldn't show SE how demanding the market was for this game on PS4.

Old 07-18-2016, 01:01 PM   #102
X Knight
Hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpideyVille View Post
So there has been news spreading over the weekned about the PS4 release date being spoiled in an Italian ad. Depending on how the date format is, it's either Oct 11th (which makes sense since it's a Tuesday), or November 10th (which seems unlikely since it is a Thursday, but it is exactly 1 year after it's release on X1).

What's surprising me a bit is that I've seen a lot of people who are saying they will boycott this game because they don't like Timed Exclusives, so they refuse to support this.

What really bothers me though is how entitled some people seem. Like this one guy I spoke to said he supported the Playstation games for years, so it's not fair that he had to wait a year to play this. I can understand the disappointment, but I'm just grateful that we're getting it period. I also think boycotting it in general would reflect poorly on the game, and wouldn't show SE how demanding the market was for this game on PS4.
I hope it's Oct 11th, cuz then I can pick it up the same day as WWE 2K17.

I do hope it includes the DLC though as a Definitive/GOTY edition. If it's just the vanilla game, a year later, for the full price of $60, I might wait till closer to BF or Xmas for a sale.

The X1 version has already dropped to $50, and I see it on sale for $30 or $40 quite frequently.

I heard SE is bringing Tomb Raider to Comic Con, so maybe we'll get an official announcement this week.

Old 07-18-2016, 01:31 PM   #103
Havok83
Side-Kick

Its Oct 11. Europe lists dates as day, month. US is one of the few countries that has it in reverse

Quote:

I see nothing wrong with this. People always say speak with your wallet and if someone wants to boycott a game bc they disapprove of a publisher's methods, then more power to them. It beats just complaining and getting angry about it. Shoot.

This thing will likelt have poor sales and thats not a reflection on the PS4 or the market. This IS a year old game. It'll come out during the hot holiday season when tons of other big titles are being released and attention is elsewhere. Its the same problem it had last year. It'll be even worse bc the PS4 port doesnt have the marketting push that the XB1 original had. Sony has not promoted it at all and SE has barely talked about it. Gaming sites and critics have moved on. I really dont think SE will hold its performance against the PS4 in terms of future releases bc Im sure they know they messed up here.

Last edited by Havok83; 07-18-2016 at 01:36 PM.
Havok83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 04:26 PM   #104
Nathan

Not gonna boycott it, but not going to pay full price for a year old game either.

Old 07-18-2016, 04:44 PM   #105
X Knight
Hope

^ yeah. I've been waiting too long for the game to boycott it.

but if it's just the vanilla game with no DLC for $60, I'll wait till it's on sale.

Old 07-19-2016, 03:40 AM   #106
Silvermoth
Avenger

Yaaaaaaas it's about damn time I should get a chance to play it!

Wonder if they'll add anything to it to sweeten the deal a little?

Old 07-19-2016, 07:54 AM   #107
SpideyVille
Walking out the Desert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
I see nothing wrong with this. People always say speak with your wallet and if someone wants to boycott a game bc they disapprove of a publisher's methods, then more power to them. It beats just complaining and getting angry about it. Shoot.

This thing will likelt have poor sales and thats not a reflection on the PS4 or the market. This IS a year old game. It'll come out during the hot holiday season when tons of other big titles are being released and attention is elsewhere. Its the same problem it had last year. It'll be even worse bc the PS4 port doesnt have the marketting push that the XB1 original had. Sony has not promoted it at all and SE has barely talked about it. Gaming sites and critics have moved on. I really dont think SE will hold its performance against the PS4 in terms of future releases bc Im sure they know they messed up here.
Don't get me wrong, I shave absolutely no problem with someone refusing to play it on principle. But it's a little annoying to see how some people are targeting this game in particular, as if it's the first console game to ever be a timed exclusive. It's incredibly hypocritical because there are plenty of multiplatform games that deliver content or more benefits to one console over the other, but I've never heard of anyone boycotting those. The closest that I can think of that makes perfect sense is MGS V, due to Konami's treatment of Kojima, along with the stories from afterward where it was said that they treat all of their employees horribly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
Not gonna boycott it, but not going to pay full price for a year old game either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by X Knight View Post
^ yeah. I've been waiting too long for the game to boycott it.

but if it's just the vanilla game with no DLC for $60, I'll wait till it's on sale.
I keep hearing similar opinions about not wanting to pay full price for a game that is "a year old" or not a GOTY edition, but honestly, I don't like to buy games at full price in general anymore. There are exceptions, like Uncharted 4, which I needed to have right away, but even then, I got it for $30 after using my Best buy rewards.

Plus, just a general rule of thumb, for most games coming out in the Fall, I can almost guarantee that you can get them $20 cheaper in a few weeks because of Black Friday sales, or you can get them in a B2G1F sale that either Target or Best Buy will have in Nov/Dec. So as much as I've been dying to finally play this, I might hold off for just a bit longer, just so I can get more bang for my buck.

Last edited by SpideyVille; 07-19-2016 at 07:58 AM.
SpideyVille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 08:19 AM   #108
SpideyVille
Walking out the Desert

Figured I'd make a new post for this new, but we have an official release date and details!

Quote:
Hi everyone! We just announced that Rise of the Tomb Raider: 20 Year Celebration will launch on PS4 October 11. We’re thrilled to share this news with you.

When we were planning the PS4 version of Rise of the Tomb Raider, our very first imperative was to outdo anything we’d done before, such as our definitive editions. A mere “Game of the Year” wouldn’t satisfy us, or our fans. We knew that our PlayStation community both deserved and demanded more than that. So we’re working with our long-time partner Nixxes Software to make this version truly special.

First, whenever we ask you what DLC you’re interested in, “new story” is number one on the wish list. Talking it over with our Franchise Creative Director, Noah Hughes, he immediately turned to a franchise favorite: Croft Manor.

While shown previously only in cutscenes in the campaign of Rise of the Tomb Raider, the Manor represents more than just a place. It is Lara’s legacy. It’s an incredibly important part of her story and the franchise, and like many of you we have fond memories of it from the classic games. So we’re excited to introduce the all-new “Blood Ties” chapter, which will let you explore Croft Manor and unlock its mysteries in a new story mode, then defend it against an undead invasion in “Lara’s Nightmare.”

The Manor also offered a great opportunity for us to investigate the possibilities with cutting edge VR technology. So for the first time in franchise history, you’ll be able to play “Blood Ties” in first-person through Lara’s eyes!

Next, we’re adding a new online co-op expansion to Endurance mode. You and a friend can team up to raid tombs and battle for the longest survival run to stay at the top of the leaderboards.

To celebrate Tomb Raider releases through the years, you can outfit Lara with a re-envisioned version of the cold-weather outfit and the Hailstorm pistol that was featured in Tomb Raider III. In addition, a special card pack will allow you to replay the main story with five classic Lara models. You won’t believe your eyes when you see the original low-poly Lara model in glorious high fidelity Rise of the Tomb Raider cutscenes.

For our hardcore fans, we’ve added a brutal new “Extreme Survivor” setting, which increases the difficulty and strips out all of the checkpoints. The only way to save your game is to forage enough resources to light campfires and survive from one to the next!

Finally, along with Endurance mode, all previously released DLC will be included, such as the three hour story addition Baba Yaga: The Temple of the Witch, and the Cold Darkness Awakened pack which forces you to combat waves of infected predators. Not to mention all of the outfits, all of the weapons, and a ton of Expedition Cards. You receive everything in one package!

We can’t think of a better way to celebrate with all Tomb Raider fans, and to thank you for being on Lara’s 20 year journey with us. We’re excited to share more details on the new content in the coming months as we gear up for the launch of Rise of the Tomb Raider: 20 Year Celebration on October 11!

See you online in Endurance mode!
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2016/...vealed-on-ps4/

Old 07-19-2016, 09:10 AM   #109
Havok83
Side-Kick

If you thought the cover looked familiar, it looks like SE got inspiration from ND

Last edited by Havok83; 07-19-2016 at 09:26 AM.
Old 07-19-2016, 09:43 AM   #110
X Knight
Hope

^ wow!!

now THAT'S worth the full $60 AND a day one buy for me!!

Old 07-19-2016, 10:16 AM   #111
SpideyVille
Walking out the Desert

I saw the Boxart comparison and thought it was fake, until I saw that it wasn't. Very interesting choice there, although I gotta admit, I like it.

As for the price, people are still complaining, saying that "old game is old" and it should be cheaper. This is essentially a GOTY version, as expected, so it's definitely worth the price.

Old 07-19-2016, 10:17 AM   #112
Broseph44
Witness Me

Sweet can't wait. Really enjoyed the first game a lot and been looking forward to finally playing the sequel. Great news

Broseph44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 12:03 PM   #113
OcStat
Side-Kick

I haven't played the latest TR series, but that "20 year celebration" tag hit me right in the nostalgia. I played the very first TR game a lot. I'll keep an eye on this.

Old 07-19-2016, 01:39 PM   #114
Spider-Who?
ERMERGERD!

Quote:
Figured I'd make a new post for this new, but we have an official release date and details!

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2016/...vealed-on-ps4/
Damn. When they first announced it was only for Xbox, I stopped caring about the game (to save myself the disappointment). This sounds like a great deal. There's not a single thing about the announcement that doesn't excite me.

Do we know what the extra outfits are? I'd love updated versions of her classic PS1 outfit(s) (outside of that previously mentioned high quality/low poly version that will only be used for giggles).

Spider-Who? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 01:42 PM   #115
Spider-Who?
ERMERGERD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OcStat View Post
I haven't played the latest TR series, but that "20 year celebration" tag hit me right in the nostalgia. I played the very first TR game a lot. I'll keep an eye on this.
I've played the first game of the reboot. I really, really enjoyed it, enough so that I double dipped when it was remastered for PS4. Give it a shot. It's a great action adventure game, and makes Lara an actual person instead of a larger than life, jumping. flipping, dinosaur killing super hero (I don't mean any of that in a negative way; I loved the originals as well).

Old 07-19-2016, 02:17 PM   #116
Havok83
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Who? View Post
Damn. When they first announced it was only for Xbox, I stopped caring about the game (to save myself the disappointment). This sounds like a great deal. There's not a single thing about the announcement that doesn't excite me.

Do we know what the extra outfits are? I'd love updated versions of her classic PS1 outfit(s) (outside of that previously mentioned high quality/low poly version that will only be used for giggles).
pictures of said outfits are literally in the post underneath the one you quoted

Old 07-19-2016, 06:03 PM   #117
Storm22
Side-Kick

Looking forward to finally playing this on PS4. Absolutely ridiculous that this was Xbox exclusive!

Old 07-19-2016, 06:23 PM   #118
Tron Bonne
All Ass, No Sass

Zombie horde mode, huh?

"When you see a John Woo film, it's comforting to know how shallow the world really is. The full force of the manly coolness factor with a peice of nose hair sticking out from the tiny crack between manly and cool, exposes the thinness of the male hormone factor. It takes an idiot to do cool things. That's why it's cool."

Quote:
I was a North American Fall Webworm in my past life. Those were the good old days.
Tron Bonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 07:28 PM   #119
Broseph44
Witness Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tron Bonne View Post
Zombie horde mode, huh?
What's so confusing it's some sort of side DLC.

Broseph44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 08:28 PM   #120
Jick
Auxiliary Assistant

Wow, it's even better than I thought it would be. I'm all in.

Jick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 09:27 PM   #121
Spider-Who?
ERMERGERD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
pictures of said outfits are literally in the post underneath the one you quoted
How the hell did I miss that?

Last edited by Spider-Who?; 07-20-2016 at 09:48 AM.
Old 07-20-2016, 03:32 AM   #122
Silvermoth
Avenger

Yaaaaaaay

Old 07-21-2016, 06:49 PM   #123
ChrisBaleBatman
Legendary Hero

I'm not getting it day one. Probably won't for quite a while. But, that's a nice looking box art and the content seems to be very much worth it. The Limited Edition going for $60 is nice.

ChrisBaleBatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 08:05 PM   #124
SpideyVille
Walking out the Desert

I was planning on waiting for a BF sale, but I think I might pre-order it now, simply because of the art book. I'm a sucker for those, even though I don't think there are any other incentives.

Old 07-22-2016, 05:09 PM   #125
Tron Bonne
All Ass, No Sass

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBaleBatman View Post
I'm not getting it day one. Probably won't for quite a while. But, that's a nice looking box art and the content seems to be very much worth it. The Limited Edition going for $60 is nice.
Limited Edition?

"When you see a John Woo film, it's comforting to know how shallow the world really is. The full force of the manly coolness factor with a peice of nose hair sticking out from the tiny crack between manly and cool, exposes the thinness of the male hormone factor. It takes an idiot to do cool things. That's why it's cool."

Quote:
I was a North American Fall Webworm in my past life. Those were the good old days.
Tron Bonne is offline   Reply With Quote