4 0 0%
3 0 0%
2 0 0%
1 1 7.69%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-19-2018, 09:39 PM   #51
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themyscira

Default Re: Episode 3.23 "Battles Lost and Won" - SEASON FINALE (SPOILERS)

What was that ending about? And if Kara split then how did one half end up in Siberia of all places? Is she going to have a Russian accent next season? It would be cool to see Melissa do one.

And what is Sam going to do now? I thought maybe she might reveal she was a lesbian so that she and Chyler could get together and also be parents to Ruby.

And what was Lena experimenting on? Was that suggesting she was up to something suspicious?

Dark Raven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 10:12 PM   #52
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

I thought the finale was ok. Favorite moment was one of the witches yelling "What is this devilryyyyy?!?!"

Too bad J'onn didn't get all of the memories. I almost thought he was going to be an Asian man like they did in JL/JLU.

Alex being head of the DEO might be interesting if she really isn't part of the action like usual.

Peace out, Mon-El. Nice that he have Kara a Legion ring. Clark has one, doesn't he?

The Winn and Brainy switch up makes me think of what they do with Wells on Flash.

For a moment I thought James wasn't going to reveal he was Guardian. Don't know what that entails for his future.

Did I miss something about the "disruption" and how that just allowed Supergirl to time travel like that? And I guess I missed how Reign's heat vision was powerful enough to kill the others. Also, what happened to her didn't seem that different from killing her the first time. But, I guess less stabbing counts as not killing.

I'm kinda whatever about this Red Son Supergirl but only because I'm afraid it'll just be another evil version of the character.

I was at some diplomatic party once. Got to talking to this princess who told me that when it came to Superman, I was missing the point. She told me, "His real strength lay in his generous spirit and sense of what's fair." - King Faraday

"
He’s much more of a working class superhero, which is why we ended the whole book with the image of a laboring Superman. He’s Everyman operating on a sci–fi Paul Bunyan scale." - Grant Morrison

"Self Portrait" By Batman
Lencho01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 11:02 PM   #53
SV Fan
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lencho01 View Post
Peace out, Mon-El. Nice that he have Kara a Legion ring.
Or in other words a excuse for a cheap plot devices for the producers

SV Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 12:37 AM   #54
BH/HHH
You Are My World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sithborg View Post
Still better than Arrow and Flash Season 3. It was an overall good season. Stumbled a bit at the end, but it didn't ruin the whole season.
I completely disagree with that, Arrow got great again this season. Flash was hit and miss but it was more consistent than Supergirl has been.

Old 06-20-2018, 12:48 AM   #55
portace

This is one of the worst TV shows I've ever seen. Too bad I force myself to see anything DC/Marvel related.

Reign doesn't kill anyone in the previous 20 fights..but within a matter of seconds "accidentally" kills off 3 superpowered beings. Reign barely puts up a fight against drinking that water..boy, she must have been thirsty.

portace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 12:53 AM   #56
flickchick85
Loose Seal
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sithborg View Post
Still better than Arrow and Flash Season 3. It was an overall good season. Stumbled a bit at the end, but it didn't ruin the whole season.
Agreed.

"They say: sufferings are misfortunes...Once we're thrown off our habitual paths, we think all is lost; but it's only here that the new and good begins.

As long as there's life, there's happiness. There's much, much still to come."

flickchick85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 02:11 AM   #57
BH/HHH
You Are My World

Quote:
Originally Posted by portace View Post
This is one of the worst TV shows I've ever seen. Too bad I force myself to see anything DC/Marvel related.

Reign doesn't kill anyone in the previous 20 fights..but within a matter of seconds "accidentally" kills off 3 superpowered beings. Reign barely puts up a fight against drinking that water..boy, she must have been thirsty.
You make a good point there. I was saying to my mate this morning Coville can survive but the super power beings can’t? Then again are we surprised on this show? The inconsistency with power levels of characters is a common thing.

Yeah I mentioned that above she just swallows it she could have tried to spit it out. This is one thing I’ve noticed continuously about this show when they have to deliver on that final moments it’s almost always flat and that moment was flat as hell.

Actually now I think about it more and more things are starting to bug me. “No prison can hold me” - what about the Phantom Zone? But even so sending her where they did instead of killing her and then Sam kills her anyway?

Last edited by BH/HHH; 06-20-2018 at 02:19 AM.
BH/HHH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 06:19 AM   #58
SSAV
Side-Kick

I really liked the beginning half of the season and then after that, especially the last few episodes, everything seemed to be a mess... and a boring mess at that.

Also, it may be just me but I felt there was less of Kara all around in these episodes; including this episode. In fact, I missed Kara especially this episode.

Also, in this episode.

--Why is Alex so hung up on having a baby? I would have liked it if the show means to show her as having a dependency problem because she is all about just one person all the time; when with Maggie, she was all about Maggie, when with Ruby, all she talks about is Ruby, and now, it is all I want a baby. And, you also have the alcohol. But, I am afraid, that the show means to show her as the perfect mother, sister and lover and all that going by some imagined gay trope. (It is also sexist in the way Alex seems to think only having a kid or a lover will fulfill her sigh).
--I really liked the J'onn-Myrnn parts.
--I wish J'onn had just cited that as a reason for making Alex director. Why is there a need for the baby storyline? (sorry... the past two seasons, Alex's arc has just been going down)
--Mon El gets to be a hero twice (though the first time, Kara changed back time, so his death didn't stick): the show writers really wants us to believe that he is capable of keeping the well being of others over his self-interest.
--The theme of Kara and Mon El's conversation seemed to be that both of them tried to reach back to their past and then found they have outgrown it. At least, that is how I saw it. However, the execution was poor. While it seemed believable on Kara's side--the past few episodes showed her struggling with the ordinary citizen thing--on Mon El's part the build up was not there at all. All he thought about after the legion left is about Kara. If they had shown him as having conflicts between his life in the future and the past, then it would have made sense. As it is, it seemed he was being guilted into going back to the future and he seemed really brokenhearted about it.

I think the writers wanted to show both. A thematic symmetry between Kara and Mon El and Mon El as a hero sacrificing his love for the well being of the universe. And, they confused the entire thing by trying to do both.

Kara didn't seem as affected though. Seems like she has really moved on. Anyways, irrespective of that, I wish the show had made it Kara's choice as much as Mon El's. The way they dealt with the story this back half seemed to indicate that Kara's feelings are irrelevant. Kara never gets to say whether she is still in love with Mon El or not.

--I don't know what Kara meant about not killing when in the end, Reign was killed anyways. How is that different? All of that looked very weird to me. I didn't understand the logic.

--I liked the couch scene. I wish there was some scenes of Kara saving people that were about her actually talking to people or interacting with them.

--Not really sure about duplicate Kara. Hope it is a mini-arc.

--I am guessing we will get more of Argo City next year. I wish Zor El hadn't died though.

This episode was better than the previous episodes though.

Last edited by SSAV; 06-20-2018 at 06:42 AM.
SSAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 06:20 AM   #59
Hunter Rider
Ronin
SHH! Administrator

I thought the first part of the finale was pretty spectacular for TV but the ep stuttered from there, much as a lot of the recent ones have for me and I was bored of reign and the witches by the end.

I honestly feel the best things about the second half of the season have been the storylines with Alex, her stuff with Ruby and J'onn/M'yrnn were really strong and well acted.

The other thing I liked in the second half of the season was Lena's development, but that feels like it might be in jeopardy with that "Start phase 2" and cue sinister music!..... bit at the end.

Winn no longer being a regular is disappointing, especially if he is going to be replaced with the annoying Brainiac 5, and Mon-El leaving is a shame as well, I thought he grew over the season.

Not sure what to make of the set-up for a a Red Daughter storyline next season, but I do think a less is more approach to things would help, I feel like things go too cluttered this season and the best storylines didn't feature the title character.

Old 06-20-2018, 07:47 AM   #60
eon001
Side-Kick

Solid finale to a cr@ppy season.

I think they've got a solid foundation for a much better season 4.

The Lena and Kara rivalry could potentially have alot of emotional weight and moral complexity. I hope they don't abandon it.

NO interest in Jimmy as guardian storyline. However if they moprh him into a version of Steel with Shaq as a cameo I'll be all in. I could actually see Shaq playing a retired old John Henry that tries to improve the Guardian suit for Jimmy. Kinda like Bruce in Batman Beyond.

I'm hoping that the doppleganger version of Kara turns into Powergirl.

eon001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 07:49 AM   #61
shabadoo25
Side-Kick

One of this season's biggest problems was that the unholy trio was built up so much and then essentially replaced by the much more lame old lady witches, essentially.

All they accomplished there was filling a few more episodes but making everything more lame.

shabadoo25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 08:20 AM   #62
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themyscira

They probably should've had a proper witch version of Selena like in the movie, except as a more serious threat this season (or saved her for next season as someone not connected to Reign).

So what has happened to Sam and Ruby? They didn't show them at the end or saying they were leaving for a better life or whatever now that the whole Reign ordeal was past them.

And how did Sam gain super powers when she woke up?

And where was Imra on that ship at the end when they showed Mon-El and Winn? Isn't she going back to the future too?

And if Kara was split in two, how come she didn't feel it at all?

Old 06-20-2018, 09:01 AM   #63
ZIPBAGS
Side-Kick

wrong thread.

ZIPBAGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 09:02 AM   #64
Flash525
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Raven View Post
What was that ending about? And if Kara split then how did one half end up in Siberia of all places? Is she going to have a Russian accent next season? It would be cool to see Melissa do one.

And what is Sam going to do now? I thought maybe she might reveal she was a lesbian so that she and Chyler could get together and also be parents to Ruby.

And what was Lena experimenting on? Was that suggesting she was up to something suspicious?
I don't believe Sam is expected to return next season; if she is, it certainly wont be in a reoccurring role, and more likely a guest contract or something.

Speaking of Sam though, shouldn't she actually be Kryptonian? She was born on Krypton, and now lives on Earth. How can she even be Human?

Old 06-20-2018, 09:31 AM   #65
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themyscira

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash525 View Post
I don't believe Sam is expected to return next season; if she is, it certainly wont be in a reoccurring role, and more likely a guest contract or something.

Speaking of Sam though, shouldn't she actually be Kryptonian? She was born on Krypton, and now lives on Earth. How can she even be Human?
Lena said at the end though that she ran a scan and Sam has no trace of any Kryptonian DNA in her body. So she's completely normal.

But if she doesn't return next season, then who is running L-Corp? I thought Sam was in that position so that Lena could concentrate on CatCo.

Also, when Sam was split from Reign, how come one half of her didn't end up in Siberia? Which half goes where? In Sam's case, her human self was left naked on the floor while her Kryptonian self disappeared off somewhere else. But in Kara's case, she was wandering around in Siberia naked with only that piece of clothing draped around her. In each case of separation, there seems to be someone left naked, as if that represents their essential self (possibly without powers?). So why wasn't that version left back in that cave where Kara was with all her friends while her Kryptonian half went off to Siberia?

There seems to be some inconsistency here as to who goes where.

Last edited by Dark Raven; 06-20-2018 at 09:37 AM.
Dark Raven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 10:29 AM   #66
Thome216
Look at my tiny Avatar!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSAV View Post
--I am guessing we will get more of Argo City next year. I wish Zor El hadn't died though.
I hope so too. And I hope that Zor-El really isn't dead, but can come back as the real Cyborg Superman as in the comics. Could also bring Harewood back for a confrontation where Zor calls Henshaw merely an imitation and finally kills him off.

Then we can set the real Cyborh Superman, given life by Brainiac, as a major villain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eon001 View Post
I'm hoping that the doppleganger version of Kara turns into Powergirl.
Ooh, I like that thought! I know Black Kryptonite is supposed to split a person in two between Good and Evil, but Kara didn't seem changed at all at the end of the episode. So I would wonder if it would be a complete split or if this other Kara could just a confused copy.

Quote:
Lena said at the end though that she ran a scan and Sam has no trace of any Kryptonian DNA in her body. So she's completely normal.

But if she doesn't return next season, then who is running L-Corp? I thought Sam was in that position so that Lena could concentrate on CatCo.

Also, when Sam was split from Reign, how come one half of her didn't end up in Siberia? Which half goes where? In Sam's case, her human self was left naked on the floor while her Kryptonian self disappeared off somewhere else. But in Kara's case, she was wandering around in Siberia naked with only that piece of clothing draped around her. In each case of separation, there seems to be someone left naked, as if that represents their essential self (possibly without powers?). So why wasn't that version left back in that cave where Kara was with all her friends while her Kryptonian half went off to Siberia?

There seems to be some inconsistency here as to who goes where.
Maybe that would have been too confusing for the finale, to have Supergirl suddenly naked at the end of the fight.

It may also be put down to chance that Sam was left behind in the lab and not Reign.

And where did Sam's powers go!?! I hate how that just petered out at the end, and then poof powers suddenly gone without explanation. Drinking from the fountain was how Reign became so powerful, so why would't it hold true now?

That's the kind of inconsistent writing that I don't like. They powered Sam up for a big fight with Reign, had her just stab her in the back and then she's back to being human again...

Thome216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 10:40 AM   #67
Flash525
Side-Kick

Quote:
I know what Lena said. What I'm saying is that Sam [should be] comparable to Kara in powers now. Sam was born a Kryptonian. Kryptonian's don't suddenly become Human. There's a biological element there.

Old 06-20-2018, 10:44 AM   #68
Thome216
Look at my tiny Avatar!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash525 View Post
I know what Lena said. What I'm saying is that Sam [should be] comparable to Kara in powers now. Sam was born a Kryptonian. Kryptonian's don't suddenly become Human. There's a biological element there.

Was it just Lena who said it or did Alex see the readings to? The only way out of the hole here is if Lena was lying about Sam no longer being Kryptonian. But then we'd have to wonder how Sam would not be able to tell the difference...

Thome216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 03:07 PM   #69
Guard82
Side-Kick

Overall, I thought the finale was a good, solid end to the season, and it made up for some of the weaker episodes that took place in the last few weeks. Reign was a great villain, as she consistently was all season, and seeing Samantha break free of her was satisfying. I also really liked the farewell scene between J'onn and his father -- it was extremely moving and heartfelt. Finally, l loved the ending scene with Kara and Alex's nice conversation on the couch. I hope we get more scenes of them hanging out together like that next season.

Guard82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 03:31 PM   #70
Dr.
Scorpion-Kick

They tend to be all over the map in terms of how easily Kryptonians gain or lose their abilities. (Witness how quickly the newly-arrived Alura got her full suite of superpowers; meanwhile, it took Mon-El ages.) So if Lena’s high-tech treatments caused Sam to (somehow ) become fully human, that’s sorta par for the course.

Dr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 01:58 PM   #71
Kelly
#RESIST
SHH! Administrator

The only time I really saw that with Alura was how she picked up freeze breath, it took Kara a few episodes to get that down....as far as the heat vision, Kara took out about 5 falling parts of the building to Alura's 1. lol

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.
Faith is taking the first step even when you don't see the whole staircase.
~Martin Luther King Jr.~
Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 02:02 PM   #72
Havok83
Side-Kick

Outside of that Lena twist at the end, this very much felt like a series finale and not season finale

Is Sam coming back next season? If not, I dont get the point of seperating her from Reign and giving her a happy ending. The show played things too safe. They built her up as a big threat in the mid season finale which was the season's peak but it was downhill from there. It didnt feel like the stakes were really there the way they built it up. Sam should have been Reign, not have it treated as a seperate persona that they could sepreate and defeat. She also should have been killed by Supergirl

Havok83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 02:15 PM   #73
shabadoo25
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. View Post
They tend to be all over the map in terms of how easily Kryptonians gain or lose their abilities. (Witness how quickly the newly-arrived Alura got her full suite of superpowers; meanwhile, it took Mon-El ages.) So if Lena’s high-tech treatments caused Sam to (somehow ) become fully human, that’s sorta par for the course.
Regarding Mon-El, did he ever display any other powers other than super strength? We never saw him use heat vision, freeze breath, etc.

shabadoo25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 03:42 PM   #74
Kelly
#RESIST
SHH! Administrator

Speed, flight and super strength

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.
Faith is taking the first step even when you don't see the whole staircase.
~Martin Luther King Jr.~
Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 01:26 AM   #75
signalman
Side-Kick

Mon-El was real handy with cape tricks.
Glad he is gone back with the Legion.
Too bad we never more Legion members or who was in those other pads on their ship.

signalman is offline   Reply With Quote