The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman > Batman World

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2006, 11:42 AM   #51
2 good 4 u
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: NY
Posts: 32
Default Re: am I the only one who DIDN'T think Nicholson nailed joker??

Quote:
Originally Posted by raybia
Nicholson performance wasn't Jokerish, it was Nicholsonish. Thats right, Jack just essentially played Jack.

And he's so cool that it worked. Plus, the only other performance of the Joker that people at the time knew of was Cesar Romaro, and outside of Hackman's performance as Luthor, Nicholson's performance of a villian in a Superhero movie was it.

In other words, that performance was great for its time, but wouldn't hold much weight today.

More importantly though it that the Joker we all know an love has yet to grace the silver screen and the best intepretation so far is from TAS.

THAT IS THE STANDARD. Maybe unfairly but thats it.
Good post I completely agree.

2 good 4 u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 11:59 AM   #52
titan101
Banned User
 
titan101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 4,735
Default Re: am I the only one who DIDN'T think Nicholson nailed joker??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade

1. Joker's origin is just all wrong...save falling into the vat of chemicals. Jack Napier? Killing Bruce's parents? Ick.

2. Batman doesn't SHOOT BULLETS. For the love of God, the man hates guns! Why is he shooting at the parade from his plane? I remember seeing that recently and my jaw dropped. I thought, "Is Batman insane?"
1. ) tim burton did that to show a connection between bats and joker. hence , " i made you , you made me ". i think it's quite interesting. not very faithful to the comics , but interesting. it also gives the joker a reason to be batman's arch - nemesis.

2.) FYI , in the 1930 's -40's , batman DID kill. infact , he was a complete killing machine !!! practically in every single issue he killed someone !!!!


Last edited by titan101; 08-25-2006 at 12:46 PM.
titan101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 12:34 PM   #53
ToddIsDead
Banned User
 
ToddIsDead's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Gamer Rejects
Posts: 7,117
Default Re: am I the only one who DIDN'T think Nicholson nailed joker??

Oddly enough, I hated how Jack played Joker in the movie, but I still loved him in the movie. He's just so cool.

ToddIsDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 12:35 PM   #54
Darknightnomis
The Dark Knight Strikes!
 
Darknightnomis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Otisburg
Posts: 2,381
Default Re: am I the only one who DIDN'T think Nicholson nailed joker??

Quote:
Originally Posted by titan101
2.) FYI , in the 1930 's -40's , batman DID kill. infact , he was a complete killing machine !!! practically in every single issue he killed someone !!!!
Not to mention that he gave one hell of a spanking to.


__________________
Because he's NOT our hero!
He's a silent guardian!
A watchful protector!
THE DARK KNIGHT!!!!
Darknightnomis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 12:36 PM   #55
Darknightnomis
The Dark Knight Strikes!
 
Darknightnomis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Otisburg
Posts: 2,381
Default Re: am I the only one who DIDN'T think Nicholson nailed joker??

Double post?

__________________
Because he's NOT our hero!
He's a silent guardian!
A watchful protector!
THE DARK KNIGHT!!!!
Darknightnomis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 12:38 PM   #56
Cinemaman
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Hype!
Posts: 14,568
Default Re: am I the only one who DIDN'T think Nicholson nailed joker??

Nicholson was great as Joker, but I still wanted to see real Joker. And that was not his problem, but Burton's vision on Joker.

Anyway, I think this time everything will be more than perfect

__________________
Hunter Rider is the Best Avvy-Maker... Ever!
Cinemaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 12:45 PM   #57
titan101
Banned User
 
titan101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 4,735
Default Re: am I the only one who DIDN'T think Nicholson nailed joker??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darknightnomis
Not to mention that he gave one hell of a spanking to.

..... WTF??! is that pic real ?

titan101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 12:49 PM   #58
Two-Face
Harvey Dent
 
Two-Face's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Courtroom
Posts: 48,170
Default Re: am I the only one who DIDN'T think Nicholson nailed joker??

Jack Nicholson was good but not the Joker I know from the comics but I love the movie.

I'm sure Ledger will gives The Joker from comics.

Two-Face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 01:03 PM   #59
The Sage
The World's Finest
 
The Sage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: In the Sage's lair
Posts: 47,068
Default Re: am I the only one who DIDN'T think Nicholson nailed joker??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinemaman
Nicholson was great as Joker, but I still wanted to see real Joker. And that was not his problem, but Burton's vision on Joker.
You don't think Ledger will be playing Nolan's vision of the Joker?

__________________
Everyone brings joy to this forum. Some by coming in. Some by going out...
The Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 01:07 PM   #60
BmAaTn3625
CEO of E.C.I
 
BmAaTn3625's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Harrisburg, Pa
Posts: 581
Default Re: am I the only one who DIDN'T think Nicholson nailed joker??

http://www.insomniacmania.com/news_default.php?id=3543

From this artical it would seem Nolan is going to great lengths to bring the comic Joker to life

__________________
"I was chewing a piece of "Care Free" gum the other day, and it didn't work. Sure I was feeling good while I was blowing that buble, but when it lost it's flavor I was back to contemplating my mortality." M. Hedberg R.I.P.
BmAaTn3625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 01:10 PM   #61
raybia
Signing off
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 12,660
Default Re: am I the only one who DIDN'T think Nicholson nailed joker??

Quote:
Originally Posted by BmAaTn3625
http://www.insomniacmania.com/news_default.php?id=3543

From this artical it would seem Nolan is going to great lengths to bring the comic Joker to life
Excerpt:

"I think this goes to show that Nolan is very serious about portraying this character just as the original creators intended, as a very dark and dangerous villain."

__________________
لا إله إلا الله محمد رسول الله



Thanks Hype for the memories!
raybia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 01:11 PM   #62
The Sage
The World's Finest
 
The Sage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: In the Sage's lair
Posts: 47,068
Default Re: am I the only one who DIDN'T think Nicholson nailed joker??

Quote:
Originally Posted by BmAaTn3625
http://www.insomniacmania.com/news_default.php?id=3543

From this artical it would seem Nolan is going to great lengths to bring the comic Joker to life
Great news. And here I was thinking all of the original creators of the mythos had passed away.

__________________
Everyone brings joy to this forum. Some by coming in. Some by going out...
The Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 01:14 PM   #63
ChrisBaleBatman
Legendary Hero
 
ChrisBaleBatman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Shadow Moses
Posts: 19,677
Default Re: am I the only one who DIDN'T think Nicholson nailed joker??

The only thing I had against Nicholson's Joker was that he was too likeable.

I mean, I loved him. He was funny, and he was cool. But, there wasn't much there to make you hate him...or to make you see him lose.

Really, in the final act, that's where he became more of a vicious dude....and it was more b/c we saw him as the Wayne killer, than the way he was really behaving. But, overall.....the Joker was just too charming, and too likeable I thought.

Just wasn't enough of a bastard, really.

ChrisBaleBatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 01:16 PM   #64
faceplant
i have ninja like focus
 
faceplant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 617
Default Re: am I the only one who DIDN'T think Nicholson nailed joker??

jack was good in that interpretation of the joker, but this time, i really want people to be frightened of him.

__________________
i fall down alot......
faceplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 01:17 PM   #65
Cinemaman
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Hype!
Posts: 14,568
Default Re: am I the only one who DIDN'T think Nicholson nailed joker??

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sage
You don't think Ledger will be playing Nolan's vision of the Joker?
Uhhh, no, you didn't get me right.

I think Nicholdson was great, but only in Burton's vision and that wasn't his fault.

About Ledger, I think he'ww be the best Joker ever, and also a great choice for Nolan's vision on this character.

__________________
Hunter Rider is the Best Avvy-Maker... Ever!
Cinemaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 01:19 PM   #66
The Sage
The World's Finest
 
The Sage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: In the Sage's lair
Posts: 47,068
Default Re: am I the only one who DIDN'T think Nicholson nailed joker??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinemaman
Uhhh, no, you didn't get me right.

I think Nicholdson was great, but only in Burton's vision and that wasn't his fault.

About Ledger, I think he'ww be the best Joker ever, and also a great choice for Nolan's vision on this character.
Ok, I guess.

__________________
Everyone brings joy to this forum. Some by coming in. Some by going out...
The Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 01:19 PM   #67
raybia
Signing off
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 12,660
Default Re: am I the only one who DIDN'T think Nicholson nailed joker??

Quote:
Originally Posted by raybia
Excerpt:

"I think this goes to show that Nolan is very serious about portraying this character just as the original creators intended, as a very dark and dangerous villain."
You know, there have been many Superhero movies made over the past 30 year and the majority have been disappointing to say the least.

Its amazing when the right people just happen to all come together to make a movie from the genre that very Special.

That is what we got with BB, which was really just the obligatory origin story to 1) Fix the mistakes from the previous franchise and 2) The set-up for the true story that Nolan wanted to tell in TDK and its follow up/conclusion.

Do you all realize how lucky we are to have a director like Nolan who truly and sincerely "gets its"? He may not be an experience on Batman (but quickly becoming one) but he has enough common sense to refer to the source material and ask the question, "Why does the Batman mythos continue to endure over 60+ years?" The guy refers with DC editors and writers and know the co-creator of the Joker.

Give Nolan the movie rights to Batman...forever and let him control the franchise.

__________________
لا إله إلا الله محمد رسول الله



Thanks Hype for the memories!
raybia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 01:21 PM   #68
Cinemaman
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Hype!
Posts: 14,568
Default Re: am I the only one who DIDN'T think Nicholson nailed joker??

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sage
Ok, I guess.
Is this me or you just love this smile?

__________________
Hunter Rider is the Best Avvy-Maker... Ever!
Cinemaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 01:24 PM   #69
faceplant
i have ninja like focus
 
faceplant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 617
Default Re: am I the only one who DIDN'T think Nicholson nailed joker??

Quote:
Originally Posted by raybia
You know, there have been many Superhero movies made over the past 30 year and the majority have been disappointing to say the least.

Its amazing when the right people just happen to all come together to make a movie from the genre that very Special.

That is what we got with BB, which was really just the obligatory origin story to 1) Fix the mistakes from the previous franchise and 2) The set-up for the true story that Nolan wanted to tell in TDK and its follow up/conclusion.

Do you all realize how lucky we are to have a director like Nolan who truly and sincerely "gets its"? He may not be an experience on Batman (but quickly becoming one) but he has enough common sense to refer to the source material and ask the question, "Why does the Batman mythos continue to endure over 60+ years?" The guy refers with DC editors and writers and know the co-creator of the Joker.

Give Nolan the movie rights to Batman...forever and let him control the franchise.
yeah, at the end of the old franchise, they had batman doing personal appearances, wtf was that all about, in begins we get the sense that these criminals really fear batman which is a big part of the character.

__________________
i fall down alot......
faceplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 01:25 PM   #70
Renegade
Samurai Warrior
 
Renegade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 886
Default Re: am I the only one who DIDN'T think Nicholson nailed joker??

Quote:
Originally Posted by titan101
1. ) tim burton did that to show a connection between bats and joker. hence , " i made you , you made me ". i think it's quite interesting. not very faithful to the comics , but interesting. it also gives the joker a reason to be batman's arch - nemesis.

2.) FYI , in the 1930 's -40's , batman DID kill. infact , he was a complete killing machine !!! practically in every single issue he killed someone !!!!
I know Batman USED to kill and use guns, but that Batman NO LONGER EXISTS! He hasn't been used since then. The two characters are almost distinct opposites. I would hardly say that the Batman of the '40s is the prototypical Batman figure that has become an icon. Besides, he uses guns in his plane, but doesn't use handguns? WTF?

__________________
Gambit after taking down Wolverine: "For the record, though, just to make it official, BANG ... you dead."

Gambit to Magneto: "Pardon my asking, m'sieu...but who died and made you God?"
Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 01:27 PM   #71
The Sage
The World's Finest
 
The Sage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: In the Sage's lair
Posts: 47,068
Default Re: am I the only one who DIDN'T think Nicholson nailed joker??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinemaman
Is this me or you just love this smile?
LOL, nah. I'm just genuinely confused at some of the responses.

__________________
Everyone brings joy to this forum. Some by coming in. Some by going out...
The Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 01:30 PM   #72
The Sage
The World's Finest
 
The Sage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: In the Sage's lair
Posts: 47,068
Default Re: am I the only one who DIDN'T think Nicholson nailed joker??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade
I know Batman USED to kill and use guns, but that Batman NO LONGER EXISTS! He hasn't been used since then. The two characters are almost distinct opposites. I would hardly say that the Batman of the '40s is the prototypical Batman figure that has become an icon. Besides, he uses guns in his plane, but doesn't use handguns? WTF?
I think what titan was saying that Tim Burton and Sam Hamm drew from the early Bob Kane stories, when Batman used to kill, and not really the ones where he took an oath not to kill.

__________________
Everyone brings joy to this forum. Some by coming in. Some by going out...
The Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 01:32 PM   #73
titan101
Banned User
 
titan101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 4,735
Default Re: am I the only one who DIDN'T think Nicholson nailed joker??

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sage
I think what titan was saying that Tim Burton and Sam Hamm drew from the early Bob Kane stories, when Batman used to kill, and not really the ones where he took an oath not to kill.
exactly . the movie was meant to go back to batman's ORIGINAL roots.

titan101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 01:33 PM   #74
Renegade
Samurai Warrior
 
Renegade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 886
Default Re: am I the only one who DIDN'T think Nicholson nailed joker??

Then I ask again...why didn't he kill from the start?
Why not use guns?
Why beat around the bush?
I don't buy that argument. It doesn't hold water for me.

__________________
Gambit after taking down Wolverine: "For the record, though, just to make it official, BANG ... you dead."

Gambit to Magneto: "Pardon my asking, m'sieu...but who died and made you God?"
Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 01:35 PM   #75
The Sage
The World's Finest
 
The Sage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: In the Sage's lair
Posts: 47,068
Default Re: am I the only one who DIDN'T think Nicholson nailed joker??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade
Then I ask again...why didn't he kill from the start?
Why not use guns?
Why beat around the bush?
I don't buy that argument. It doesn't hold water for me.
Kane's Batman also punched people off of rooftops. It wasn't always through guns.

__________________
Everyone brings joy to this forum. Some by coming in. Some by going out...
The Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:08 PM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"



Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of Mandatory Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2018 All Rights Reserved.