The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Marvel Films

Old 08-09-2017, 01:24 PM   #26
dw4000
Newbie First Class

Default Re: People/Superheroes of Color in the MCU?

Alot of casual people I know just want the characters to stay true to the popular comics. Its not marvel studios fault that their valuable IP is from an era where the comic book creators made white protagonists. People would be outraged if superman, batman, wonderwoman were black. People would also be upset if black panther, cyborg, john stewart were white. I remember actually seeing green lantern and thinking "wtf who is this white dude where is john stewart that i saw in the jl cartoon." Marvel should continue to just say whatever to appease sjws and do whatever makes them the most money. People have to rememeber that alot of the executives running studios do not share the filmmakers politcal ideology. Oftentimes these are right leaning businessmen as opposed to left leaning directors/actors. Alienating middle america is a concern when trying to pander to the left. For example, gays wont truly be represented in an equal way to heteros, you wont see overtly gay acts in a superhero film anytime soon

dw4000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 01:37 PM   #27
StormC
Custom User Title?

I think a bigger concern than portraying homosexuality than Middle America is foreign territories. Countries like China, Russia and India outright ban films with gay characters.

StormC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 04:00 PM   #28
daddydivine
I'm always the minority!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NealKenneth View Post
I have very little reason to worry because luckily it seems the powers that be, such as Fiege, are wise enough not to listen to these people. The MCU is in good hands.
This is where I wholeheartedly agree. The powers that be, such as Fiege, are wise enough to begin creating tentpoles with characters like Black Panther, Luke Cage, and Captain Marvel in spite of the overreaction of a few people. People that think my hoping for certain heroes being introduced means the same thing as making Captain America black. That's why I continue to be a MCU fanboy.

Old 08-10-2017, 09:20 PM   #29
KevTravels
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by dw4000 View Post
Alot of casual people I know just want the characters to stay true to the popular comics. Its not marvel studios fault that their valuable IP is from an era where the comic book creators made white protagonists. People would be outraged if superman, batman, wonderwoman were black. People would also be upset if black panther, cyborg, john stewart were white. I remember actually seeing green lantern and thinking "wtf who is this white dude where is john stewart that i saw in the jl cartoon." Marvel should continue to just say whatever to appease sjws and do whatever makes them the most money. People have to rememeber that alot of the executives running studios do not share the filmmakers politcal ideology. Oftentimes these are right leaning businessmen as opposed to left leaning directors/actors. Alienating middle america is a concern when trying to pander to the left. For example, gays wont truly be represented in an equal way to heteros, you wont see overtly gay acts in a superhero film anytime soon
how many of those are mad that we altered the look of the characters or the fact that "PC people have taken their favorite superheroes/diversity just means anti-WHITE" morons?

I can understand why some didn't like Johnny Storm being changed for the 2015 edition, but the racists took that and ran with it. It was uncalled for and really scary.

There's this believe that Middle America is super conservative( anti-gay/anti-diversity). I think this is a stereotype peddled around so much that you'd think it was a source found in the Bible.

KevTravels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 11:34 PM   #30
LaughterLives
Side-Kick

Well, You can't do a Blade movie without making it R-rated. You just can't. I don't see the MCU going that route anytime soon.

Even though I really don't like the guy they chose to play Luke Cage, I think they've done a pretty good job with the show overall.
I guess they can do Doctor Voodoo, Night Thrasher, Blue Marvel, Ryder and Black Goliath but the question is, will they?
They are already screwed whatever potential Deathlok had, Which is another hero that needs to be R-Rated.

All the really good ethnic characters Marvel has created are all really part of the X-Universe, which Fox owns. Bishop, Storm, Forge, The Proudstar Family, Sunfire, Sun Spot, Gladiator, Blink, ARMOR, X-23, Namor, The Shi'ar...its endless with this universe.

LaughterLives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 11:57 PM   #31
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Netflix is the place for Blade if you ever do something new with the character.

Also TV in many ways can be preferable to movies at this point. Lower budgets, but you can experiment more, and you can do darker, edgier material.

Luke Cage would not have been as good if it was a theatrical film.

- CM Punk

Last edited by TheVileOne; 08-11-2017 at 12:00 AM.
TheVileOne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 11:27 AM   #32
metaphysician
Not a Side-Kick

More importantly, you can run long form. I'll take 13 hours of Daredevil on Netflix over 2 hours of Daredevil at the cineplex any day.

metaphysician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 03:20 PM   #33
LaughterLives
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVileOne View Post
Netflix is the place for Blade if you ever do something new with the character.

Also TV in many ways can be preferable to movies at this point. Lower budgets, but you can experiment more, and you can do darker, edgier material.

Luke Cage would not have been as good if it was a theatrical film.
They Need to keep Blade the hell away from Netflix in my opinion.
Netflix is simply just not good enough for Blade. They need to partner up with HBO or CIneMAX if they're gonna Bring Blade to the Small Screen and do him justice or at least something worth watching. Netflix is not that place.

Luke Cage is just decent. If they chose to make a movie starring Mike Coulter as Cage. It would've bombed for sure doh. He's pretty awful. There is nothing cool about that guy, he's corny as hell and has zero swagger. He was the wrong guy from day 1. ITs funny that they make fun of it doh, thats one of the things I liked.

Old 08-11-2017, 04:31 PM   #34
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaughterLives View Post
They Need to keep Blade the hell away from Netflix in my opinion.
Netflix is simply just not good enough for Blade. They need to partner up with HBO or CIneMAX if they're gonna Bring Blade to the Small Screen and do him justice or at least something worth watching. Netflix is not that place.

Luke Cage is just decent. If they chose to make a movie starring Mike Coulter as Cage. It would've bombed for sure doh. He's pretty awful. There is nothing cool about that guy, he's corny as hell and has zero swagger. He was the wrong guy from day 1. ITs funny that they make fun of it doh, thats one of the things I liked.
Wow.

- CM Punk
Old 08-11-2017, 05:20 PM   #35
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

Marvel's done a remarkably solid job. They got a bit of criticism because they did it the way comics originally did it, white guys are the most important at the center of everything and then bring in minorities as things got bigger and there were more and more diverse supporting roles to fill. Not doing that is a huge part of the problem the comics have had now. They've brought in all the new readers from their Marvel NOW, and now the old readers are getting the sense that the center of the universe is colored differently now, and no one likes that. Miles is fine, as long as he's not THE Spider-Man, essentially.

What's interesting is that Marvel, working in this Eurocentric framework has managed to evolve the roles of minorities to be more than sidekicks. The kind of supporting character that Gamora is is very different from the kind of supporting character that Nick Fury is. While Falcon and War Machine are cut from the same sidekick cloth, Falcon is so compelling because he's an evolution of the Black supportive best friend archetype, in that he not only openly acknowledges his sidekick status ("I do what he does, only slower.") but he also challenges the hero with a more human less mythic perspective, and so comes to represent not the Black man, but the common man in the mythic hero's world.

Add to that that they have, in their own too-slow-for-some time seem to be poised to do Black Panther 'right' which is not only the perfect move, but it's something that seems (but is not really) unapologetically Afrocentric, which is kind of the actual desire, and not simply more lip service to something that is, in the end, a more sophisticated sidekick role. And while some would have loved to have Black Panther be an early expansion of the MCU in place of who-heard-of-this-before fare like Guardians of the Galaxy, the movie doesn't seem 'too late' at all.

For all the issues with Cage in terms of pacing and gravitas and actual social consciousness, it is also unapologetically Black, which is a breath of pretty fresh air. It did get accusations of racism (and I'd love to get into an argument about how not being EuroCENTRIC is so easily seen as being ANTIWhite, but this isn't hte forum for that), which, seeing as how that's leveled at anything Afrocentric that's published for the general audience and not just for Black folks, is apparently a good sign?

Anyway, it's hard to get mad at Marvel for handling diversity only marginally better than everyone else. Why not be mad at everyone else too? It is a stark reminder that Marvel is, at the end of the day, in it for the money. They'll expand their diversity to attract and hold as many non-Eurocentrics but not at the cost of losing their Eurocentric base. It doesn't matter how much clamor there is for Carol and T'Challa, they get to them when *they're* ready. Just before the big climactic event that sums up this whole journey that established the MCU to be what it is.

But hey... they're a helluva a lot better handled than Cyborg, John Stewart, Storm, and Bishop, that's for darn sure. And if you take the minority characters on Netflix and AoS and put them up against the CW, as cool as Cisco can be, I'm sorry, those people really have NO clue how to write as soon as they start picturing the character as being brown skinned. It's tragic, man. TRA-GIC.

Quote:
All the really good ethnic characters Marvel has created are all really part of the X-Universe, which Fox owns. Bishop, Storm, Forge, The Proudstar Family, Sunfire, Sun Spot, Gladiator, Blink, ARMOR, X-23, Namor, The Shi'ar...its endless with this universe.
How ethnic are the Shi'ar on a scale of 1 to 10?

Also, Black Panther's feelings are hurt.

Last edited by DrCosmic; 08-11-2017 at 05:40 PM.
DrCosmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 07:31 PM   #36
LaughterLives
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCosmic View Post
How ethnic are the Shi'ar on a scale of 1 to 10?

Also, Black Panther's feelings are hurt.

A Cosmic 10, clearly! haha!

hahahaha! Black Panther is a bada$$ King!...no need to make him out to be a wussy. haha!
Besides, I was only pointing out the cool ones that MCU doesn't own. I wasn't belittling the ones that they do. I suppose I could've been more clear however.
It'd be dope if they could've incorporated Storm into the Black Panther films doh.

Old 08-12-2017, 01:40 AM   #37
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Not really sure why HBO or Cinemax would make much of a different for a Blade TV series since Marvel TV and ABC Studios would still be producing it. Does Netflix even have that much input in the Marvel shows?

But a dark edgy premium TV series is really the best place for Blade right now.

- CM Punk
Old 08-12-2017, 02:03 AM   #38
LaughterLives
Side-Kick

Quality. That's the difference.

Old 08-12-2017, 02:13 AM   #39
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

I mean LaughterLives, I'm not really sure what you are getting at. I know you don't like Luke Cage, but most of the Netflix shows are highly popular and considered high quality among fans. Jessica Jones won a Peabody award for its writing as well. Daredevil got universally glowing reviews, and so did Luke Cage for that matter.

Obviously, opinions of these shows are subjective, but just because Blade is on HBO or Cinemax isn't automatically going to make it a Game of Thrones-tier show either.

The quality would really be determined by the producers and writers more than anything.

- CM Punk
Old 08-12-2017, 02:52 AM   #40
2kt09
Here 'N' There

Before Black Panther was introduced, it was black sidekicks or the token black guy in charge.
Agents of Shield certainly had Ming Na Wen and, never knew at the time, Chloe Bennet right from the start, but I always had a laugh when they had to have a black dude on the force whenever they lost one or was bound to lose one. The Marvel Netflix stuff definitely maintained its tokenism before Luke Cage.

So, I'd say it was around Luke Cage or s4 of AoS in regards to when there was a notable shift.

Whedon-----Guggenheim_____Kinberg
Gunn________Goyer
Reed________Snyder
2kt09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 02:58 AM   #41
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Mac joined the cast of Agents of SHIELD in the second season. Triplett was still in the cast at the time as well.

- CM Punk
Old 08-12-2017, 03:45 AM   #42
LaughterLives
Side-Kick

Quote:
I mean LaughterLives, I'm not really sure what you are getting at. I know you don't like Luke Cage, but most of the Netflix shows are highly popular and considered high quality among fans. Jessica Jones won a Peabody award for its writing as well. Daredevil got universally glowing reviews, and so did Luke Cage for that matter.

Obviously, opinions of these shows are subjective, but just because Blade is on HBO or Cinemax isn't automatically going to make it a Game of Thrones-tier show either.

The quality would really be determined by the producers and writers more than anything.
I obviously don't agree and think the productions could be better handled.

hahaha! I realize it doesn't mean that they automatically WILL be better just like you don't know that they wouldn't be but given from what I've seen, I do THINK they would be. Its that simple.

I imagine a Blade TV show like a cross between shows like Penny Dreadful, Tru Blood and Banshee. I know I won't get anything close to this With NetFlix.

Old 08-12-2017, 12:57 PM   #43
Dr. Evil
Side-Kick

As an Asian American, I am fine with how the Asian characters are portrayed in the MCU. For me it's not about quantity, it's about quality. They did a fantastic job of changing Wong in Dr. Strange while still keeping him as an ally. Daisy, Melinda May and Colleen Wing are kick-ass characters. I am interested in seeing how Jimmy Woo does.

Old 08-12-2017, 01:15 PM   #44
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Quote:
I obviously don't agree and think the productions could be better handled.

hahaha! I realize it doesn't mean that they automatically WILL be better just like you don't know that they wouldn't be but given from what I've seen, I do THINK they would be. Its that simple.

I imagine a Blade TV show like a cross between shows like Penny Dreadful, Tru Blood and Banshee. I know I won't get anything close to this With NetFlix.
Why do you know that?

- CM Punk
Old 08-13-2017, 03:48 AM   #45
LaughterLives
Side-Kick

Quote:
Why do you know that?
Cuz as long as audiences are eating up what they're dishing out, Netflix or Marvel won't change how these shows are being handled. Just like they don't change their movie formula.

Old 08-16-2017, 01:01 PM   #46
KevTravels
Side-Kick

I like the inclusion of Asian female characters on Agents of Shield. May is a total BA

KevTravels is offline   Reply With Quote