The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Marvel Films

Old 01-07-2018, 12:07 PM   #26
psylockolussus
Fierce User

Default Re: MCU Marathon - Infinity War Rewatch Thread

I might do this once Captain Marvel is released in digital HD .

psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 01:06 PM   #27
Spider-Aziz
Death Match Taunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorschach2012 View Post
I think my roommate and I are going to have to do this. Right now we’re going through all the X-Men films. God was Last Stand hard to get through..
I did my marathon two months ago, and that movie is still underrated.

YOUTUBE
Michael Keaton's Batman is the ASMR master of superheroes.

The internet: You formed your personal opinion and liked something popular? You are part of the herd. You like something new and unpopular? Cult of the new.
Spider-Aziz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 06:09 PM   #28
Aristotelian
Side-Kick

Started my marathon of 1 a week a while back and I'm behind schedule. My thoughts:

Iron Man - a brilliant film that has lost none of its freshness and sheer fun over the years. Obidiah is an excellent villain with cleverly handled motivations and actions, even that last fight scene. I agree with metaphysician's analysis there. If I had to put a number on it I'd give it an 8.5.

The Incredible Hulk - a good movie that it's heavily underrated by so many. Sure, Liv Tyler is annoying and the finale was certainly rushed but the thematic core of control is quite well represented through the characters I think. The character of Mr B;ue is a wonderful comedic addition too, and not just when we meet him in person either; the messaging beforehand brims with enthusiasm. People don't seem to like it because it doesn't achieve a great deal for the character or the MCU. But it's a perfectly competent and entertaining action movie. A solid 7.

Iron Man 2 - a horrendously disappointing follow-up to that glorious first entry, The film just presents us with stuff we;re meant to accept as-is: Tony's regressed to a ******** worse than he was before - hey, he's dying! Too bad it doesn't get nearly enough out of this great idea. Vanko hates Stark because his father died. Easily the worst villain in the MCU - utterly dimensionless; a pure plot device for action's sake. I could rant about it at length but I'll spare you that. The last action scene with Rhodes is easily the best out of the movie, which generally feels directionless and generic. The way Tony gets out of his predicament is probably the worst point, nothing is explained. The whole movie screams "this could have been done so much better." Probably the worst of the MCU, though TDW might beat it. We'll see. A 6 from me.

Aristotelian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 08:46 PM   #29
karmajack
Side-Kick

I tend to do this with every release since Ultron. Though for A4 I aim to do a more in-depth rewatching of everything in chronological order. Including Films, ABC shows, Netflix shows, One Shots, WHIH News clips, etc.

Using this as a guideline.... MCU Viewing Order Spreadsheet.

karmajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 07:41 AM   #30
Flint Marko
Bring me Thanos

I always prefer viewing the MCU in the order of release.

Going to start TIH soon.

Old 01-09-2018, 07:55 AM   #31
Spider-Fan
SHHFFL 2014 Champion
SHH! Global Moderator

I go by release order, personally. The only ones I may flop are IM2 and TIH since IM2 takes places at same time, maybe slightly before.

Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 08:22 AM   #32
Spider-Aziz
Death Match Taunt

I like to watch film series in sort of a chronological order, but because I also like to keep the better for later I'll take this post into consideration and watch the Incredible Hulk after Iron Man 2.

YOUTUBE

The internet: You formed your personal opinion and liked something popular? You are part of the herd. You like something new and unpopular? Cult of the new.
Old 01-09-2018, 08:23 AM   #33
Iceman
Infinity War!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint Marko View Post
I always prefer viewing the MCU in the order of release.

Going to start TIH soon.
Same here. It's also a way of seeing the journey of the MCU itself in the real world.

Old 01-09-2018, 06:25 PM   #34
Shoppy
Side-Kick

A little juggling helps to put stuff in chronological order for the most part and makes for some neat double-bills in phase 1 linked by the one-shots, and Thor Ragnarok, if I'm not mistaken, releases on DVD just after Black Panther comes out at the cinema...

CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE FIRST AVENGER / Agent Carter / IRON MAN

IRON MAN 2 / A Funny Thing Happened On The Way To Thor's Hammer / THOR

THE INCREDIBLE HULK / The Consultant / AVENGERS: ASSEMBLE

Item 47 / IRON MAN 3 / THOR: THE DARK WORLD / All Hail The King

CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE WINTER SOLDIER / GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY

GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY pt 2 / AVENGERS: AGE OF ULTRON

ANT-MAN / CAPTAIN AMERICA: CIVIL WAR

DOCTOR STRANGE / SPIDER-MAN: HOMECOMING

THOR: RAGNAROK (dvd) / BLACK PANTHER (cinema)

Last edited by Shoppy; 01-09-2018 at 06:58 PM.
Shoppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 06:45 PM   #35
Spider-Aziz
Death Match Taunt

TV shows are easy to ignore, so I'm not watching them.
Why did you place the Incredible Hulk as the last chronological solo movie in phase 1?

YOUTUBE

Old 01-09-2018, 08:35 PM   #36
karmajack
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Aziz View Post
Why did you place the Incredible Hulk as the last chronological solo movie in phase 1?
As Shoppy said. They lead into each other via the One Shots.

IRON MAN 2 ->A Funny Thing Happened On The Way To Thor's Hammer

THOR

THE INCREDIBLE HULK ->The Consultant

AVENGERS

Also since the event's of IH and Thor overlap or take place at the same time, they are almost interchangeable. Minus the fact that Hulk broke Harlem after Thor defeated the Destroyer. Hulk ends after Thor. Never mind Thor's post credit scene that takes place somewhat later on.

Check out this Pre Avengers Timeline as well.

karmajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 10:59 PM   #37
Shoppy
Side-Kick

Quote:
There's not much of a time gap between Iron Man 1 & 2 and the events of Iron Man 2 and Thor overlap each other ...

I think If you're throwing in the one-shots as well, if you start with Cap, then Phase 1 flows better coming back to Incredible Hulk after these three which then takes us to The Avengers via The Consultant.

Last edited by Shoppy; 01-09-2018 at 11:12 PM.
Shoppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 12:11 PM   #38
Matt Parker
Side-Kick

Maybe an unpopular opinion here, but Age of Ultron is probably the one I re watch the most. I think it has pretty much everything I could want from an Avengers flick and I love it. I haven't exactly decided what my re watch order will be. I'll probably start with Captain America: First Avenger and Iron Man, then pick and choose from there. I saw TIH a week ago, and while I think it's a solid film, I have no need to immediately revisit it. Same goes for Strange, which I have seen twice since November. Again, very solid film, but it's not one I can re watch infinitely. The three Thor films are probably what I'm most eager to revisit, since I know them the least. I have a friend who has never seen any of them, so I might have him over for a Thor trilogy marathon.

Matt Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 05:43 PM   #39
Flint Marko
Bring me Thanos

Finished TIH last night and am watching Iron Man 2 now.

TIH is a 6 out of 10 movie. Solid but unremarkable in almost every way. Edward Norton is a complete dud as Banner. Liv Tyler is a non-entity. Tim Roth spends most of his time glowering in a cold sweat looking a foot shorter than everyone else. The only real spark in this movie is Tim Blake Nelson as Samuel Stern. But the action is solid and there's something to be said about actually shooting in the favelas of Brazil. The CGI hasn't aged particularly well and at times it looks like a video game cut scene but him ripping that cop car in half was awesome. It was awesome in 2008 and it was awesome rewatching it again in 2018.

But overall? It's fine. Just.... fine. Never great, never bad. The weakest film in the MCU by a comfortable margin.

Old 01-12-2018, 06:21 PM   #40
Spider-Aziz
Death Match Taunt

Need to be rational in my reaction, angry immature response needs to be avoided.....

Why is Ed Norton as Banner a dud? He filled the shoes fine.
Liv Tyler is cool as the person that keeps him reasonable.

Your review of this movie makes me want to read this again.

YOUTUBE

Last edited by Spider-Aziz; 01-12-2018 at 06:28 PM.
Old 01-12-2018, 06:45 PM   #41
Flint Marko
Bring me Thanos

Reached the birthday scene in Iron Man 2.

I'm willing to call this my least favorite moment in the MCU by far.

Quote:
Need to be rational in my reaction, angry immature response needs to be avoided.....

Why is Ed Norton as Banner a dud? He filled the shoes fine.
Liv Tyler is cool as the person that keeps him reasonable.

Your review of this movie makes me want to read this again.
Edward Norton brought nothing to that role. Liv Tyler and him had zero chemistry. I felt nothing. They're both reciting their lines and nothing more.

Last edited by Flint Marko; 01-12-2018 at 06:48 PM.
Flint Marko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 09:18 PM   #42
Drizzle
I got my cake.

I might do this in the next coming weeks. It's been two or three years since the last time I marathoned them since there's so many of them. The snafu is that it'll be out of order since Black Panther is out before Thor: Ragnarok hits Blu-ray, and it's unlikely that BP will be out Blu-ray/digital before Infinity War comes out. But I'll give it a shot. The real marathon will be when Avengers 4 is released on Blu-ray/digital.

Drizzle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 10:12 PM   #43
Leo Zelinsky
Mutie

Avengers
The Winter Soldier
Age of Ultron

Civil War
Homecoming
Black Panther

Vol I
Vol II
Ragnorak

These are the essentials imo

They'll probably be only ones I rewatch. (Strange, Ant-Man, First Avenger, Thor I, Ironman.. I can't watch hate traditional origin films)

The agreement also provides Disney with the opportunity to reunite the X-Men with the Marvel family under one roof and create richer, more complex worlds of inter-related characters and stories that audiences have shown they love.
Leo Zelinsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 10:20 PM   #44
Spider-Aziz
Death Match Taunt

I will never understand the hate some folks have for origin movies. I agree that it's annoying to wait nearly half the movie until we get the character in costume, but there is greatness in seeing the first journey.

YOUTUBE

Old 01-13-2018, 07:55 AM   #45
Flint Marko
Bring me Thanos

Finishing up Iron Man 2 right now.

Definitely the second worst film in the MCU, but comfortably better than TIH and comfortably better than it's reputation would have you believe.

Downey is great as ever and every scene between him and Pepper just works. They are the heart of the movie, and the main thing that stuck out to me after rewatching this film for the first time since probably 2011 was how well-developed and organic their relationship feels on many different levels. It especially works after watching this film in close conjunction with the first movie, which is a superior film in just about every way but benefits from the way the Tony/Pepper relationship is handled in the follow-up.

The second best thing about this movie? The suitcase armor, for sure. Still one of the action highlights of the MCU and one of the most fun set pieces in any recent superhero film.

More substantively, Sam Rockwell as Justin Hammer is an absolute gem and one of the most underrated MCU adversaries. Playing him like a dime store version of Tony Stark was a stroke of genius and he makes the most of it. He's so deliciously unlikable in all of his transparent attempts to be Tony.

All that said, I was struck by how much of a cartoon this feels like at times. Rourke has presence but ends up being a near complete wash, and I really hate the birthday scene. I hated it in theaters and I hate it now. Funny thing is, this scene is actually the only time Fiege has ever offered up criticisms of his own movies - in the Nerdist podcast interview he did with Chris Hardwick, he offers up this moment up as an example of something he felt would work but didn't in hindsight. He was right. This scene doesn't work. I think if they hadn't undercut it with a montage of pop songs it would have played better but I still don't understand why Rhodey was just able to pop a suit on and fight Tony like he knew what he was doing.

All in all, a flawed but underrated installment that showcased a lot of Marvel's strengths (and weaknesses) when they were still undergoing their initial growing pains.

Old 01-13-2018, 10:54 AM   #46
Leo Zelinsky
Mutie

Quote:
I will never understand the hate some folks have for origin movies.
Why do you care?

The agreement also provides Disney with the opportunity to reunite the X-Men with the Marvel family under one roof and create richer, more complex worlds of inter-related characters and stories that audiences have shown they love.
Leo Zelinsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 01:44 PM   #47
Drizzle
I got my cake.

Quote:
Reached the birthday scene in Iron Man 2.

I'm willing to call this my least favorite moment in the MCU by far.

Naked Selving in Thor: The Dark World is probably the lowest moment in the films for me.

Old 01-13-2018, 04:06 PM   #48
Spider-Aziz
Death Match Taunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drizzle View Post
Naked Selving in Thor: The Dark World is probably the lowest moment in the films for me.
That moment made me think I want to drop the towel on that movie.

YOUTUBE

Old 01-13-2018, 04:58 PM   #49
Drizzle
I got my cake.

Quote:
That moment made me think I want to drop the towel on that movie.
A close second might be the reveal that the Mandarin was really just a soccer hooligan with a Cockney accent in Iron Man 3. I've come to accept it since (Hell, I even enjoyed the Hail to the King short), but it really took me out of the movie the first time I saw it.

But both of those moments are Oscar caliber if we venture into the TV part of the MCU. Inhumans set quite a low bar there.

Old 01-13-2018, 04:58 PM   #50
Iceman
Infinity War!

Quote:
Finished TIH last night and am watching Iron Man 2 now.

TIH is a 6 out of 10 movie. Solid but unremarkable in almost every way. Edward Norton is a complete dud as Banner. Liv Tyler is a non-entity. Tim Roth spends most of his time glowering in a cold sweat looking a foot shorter than everyone else. The only real spark in this movie is Tim Blake Nelson as Samuel Stern. But the action is solid and there's something to be said about actually shooting in the favelas of Brazil. The CGI hasn't aged particularly well and at times it looks like a video game cut scene but him ripping that cop car in half was awesome. It was awesome in 2008 and it was awesome rewatching it again in 2018.

But overall? It's fine. Just.... fine. Never great, never bad. The weakest film in the MCU by a comfortable margin.
TBN was by far the worst thing about TIH for me. I still struggle to rewatch his parts.