Closed Thread

Old 06-02-2016, 12:32 PM   #51
Havok83
Side-Kick

Default Re: The Xbox One

Quote:
Originally Posted by X Knight View Post
Really, the only way I can see the Slim being a viable product is that it is:

1. Either a really cheap console perhaps without a Blu-Ray drive and thus digital only ( hence the need for the 2TB hdd ).
BR drives are nowhere near as expensive now in 2016 as they were 10 years ago. Dropping that isnt going to result in a significant decrease in price. Besides that is negated by adding a HDD thats 4 times as large as the current standard. Like you can get a rewriteable blu-ray drive for your PC for about $40. A 2tb HDD is at least twice that

Old 06-02-2016, 12:38 PM   #52
Iceman
Infinity War!

Quote:
the position of the Slim in the X1 lineup is what I'm most interested in.

if the Scorpio is indeed coming out next year ( say Fall/Winter 2017 ), then the Slim, if it's released in August/September 2016, will have only a year of life essentially.

That.......just doesn't seem like a good strategy. It would make more sense to release a Slim this year if the Scorpio is 2 or 3 years off. But only a year off??

If MS announces the more powerful Scorpio is coming out in 2017, why would any smart consumer buy a Slim this year if it's merely a smaller version of the current console?

even if the Slim offers 4K video and a bigger 2TB hdd, it's still the same power wise as the existing console, and it will be eclipsed in merely a year by the Scorpio.

Really, the only way I can see the Slim being a viable product is that it is:

1. Either a really cheap console perhaps without a Blu-Ray drive and thus digital only ( hence the need for the 2TB hdd ).

2. Or, the Slim is somehow "modular" and upgradeable to become whatever the Scorpio will be without the need to go out and buy another console. IOW, owners of the Slim will somehow be able to upgrade their Slim consoles to make it into the Scorpio without having to buy a new console next year.
A year is fine. Then give it a $100 price cut when the Scorpio launches at full whack.

Old 06-02-2016, 12:54 PM   #53
X Knight
Watchful Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
BR drives are nowhere near as expensive now in 2016 as they were 10 years ago. Dropping that isnt going to result in a significant decrease in price. Besides that is negated by adding a HDD thats 4 times as large as the current standard. Like you can get a rewriteable blu-ray drive for your PC for about $40. A 2tb HDD is at least twice that
true. but I wouldn't be surprised if they drop the Blu-ray drive and just go digital.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
A year is fine. Then give it a $100 price cut when the Scorpio launches at full whack.
maybe they really are banking on the "smartphone" consumer who's willing to buy the IPhone 6s mini or whatever and then the IPhone 7 a year later.

Old 06-02-2016, 12:54 PM   #54
Tron Bonne
All Ass, No Sass
SHH! Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX85 View Post
Even if Scorpio is 4x stronger, wouldn't games still be the same like graphics and stuff? I mean it'd be up to developers/publishers and I doubt they would start doing xbox versions multiple times better than PS4 versions.

4x stronger better mean amazingly improved downloads and installs but that probably still depends more on internet connections.

The launch price tag will be very interesting for such a powerful upgrade that includes VR!
The PS4 isn't even really twice as powerful as the Xbox One, and manages to do all of this. This really begs the question is if it just a souped up revision of the One, why such a significant power boast? This would get Scorpio more power than the PS4, as well as almost 2-3x time more powerful than Neo is rumored to be. Scorpio really doesn't sound like just a slightly souped revision of the Xbox One like the Neo does to the PS4. Sounds to me more like MS is trying to jump start an entirely new generation if all of this pans out to be true.

Quote:
It'll be able to handle 1080p 60FPS on more demanding titles. While those games might just play with compromised resolution or less ambitious frame rates on the standard consoles. I think downloads will still be more about your individual download speed from your ISP.
A manchine less than twice as powerful as the One can do this. 4x is a potentially a very significant power boast. Way more than what Neo allegedly is to the vanilla PS4. Like, way more.

"When you see a John Woo film, it's comforting to know how shallow the world really is. The full force of the manly coolness factor with a peice of nose hair sticking out from the tiny crack between manly and cool, exposes the thinness of the male hormone factor. It takes an idiot to do cool things. That's why it's cool."

Quote:
I was a North American Fall Webworm in my past life. Those were the good old days.
Old 06-02-2016, 02:03 PM   #55
Iceman
Infinity War!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tron Bonne View Post

A manchine less than twice as powerful as the One can do this. 4x is a potentially a very significant power boast. Way more than what Neo allegedly is to the vanilla PS4. Like, way more.
The Neo and Scorpio also have capacity that will be dedicated to VR I think, and the Oculus might even need to be downgraded for this relative beast, given the kinds of pcs you need to run it.

Old 06-02-2016, 02:06 PM   #56
Tron Bonne
All Ass, No Sass
SHH! Moderator

I mean, I guess it's possible a good portion of that is going to go to VR. It's hard for me to believe that it will be, but I guess it's possible if it takes that much horse power just to run properly.

"When you see a John Woo film, it's comforting to know how shallow the world really is. The full force of the manly coolness factor with a peice of nose hair sticking out from the tiny crack between manly and cool, exposes the thinness of the male hormone factor. It takes an idiot to do cool things. That's why it's cool."

Quote:
I was a North American Fall Webworm in my past life. Those were the good old days.
Old 06-02-2016, 02:24 PM   #57
Iceman
Infinity War!

Quote:
I mean, I guess it's possible a good portion of that is going to go to VR. It's hard for me to believe that it will be, but I guess it's possible if it takes that much horse power just to run properly.
I couldn't give a **** about VR at the moment and would be disappointed if too big a chunk of that excess power is reserved for that only. But otherwise agreed with what you were saying, it seems like too big of a power boost just for 1080p 60FPS games.

Old 06-02-2016, 02:31 PM   #58
X Knight
Watchful Protector

Quote:
I couldn't give a **** about VR at the moment and would be disappointed if too big a chunk of that excess power is reserved for that only. But otherwise agreed with what you were saying, it seems like too big of a power boost just for 1080p 60FPS games.
I feel the same.

although, if it turns out the Scorpio is primarily geared towards the VR market, then that could justify the co-existence of the Slim model.

In that case, I may just spring for the Slim model this year and upgrade to the Scorpio sometimes down the road when I want to make the jump to VR.

Old 06-02-2016, 04:01 PM   #59
Tron Bonne
All Ass, No Sass
SHH! Moderator

You realize that the rumors say that the Slim will be pretty much the exact Xbox One model we have now, just slimmer, right? All of the issues you had with your previous Xbox One (namely the, apparently, ungodly installs you ran into) will still be apparent.

Quote:
Old 06-02-2016, 04:39 PM   #60
X Knight
Watchful Protector

Quote:
You realize that the rumors say that the Slim will be pretty much the exact Xbox One model we have now, just slimmer, right? All of the issues you had with your previous Xbox One (namely the, apparently, ungodly installs you ran into) will still be apparent.
don't remind me.

that's why I'm more interested in the Scorpio than the Slim. Unless the Scorpio ends up being primarily geared towards VR, the Scorpio is more of the major shift ( and boost in power ) away from the current model that I want.

but, I'm keeping an open mind and am willing to listen to what MS has to offer at E3.

not just on the hardware side, but on the games as well as features like more Windows 10 integration.

Last edited by X Knight; 06-02-2016 at 04:56 PM.
Old 06-03-2016, 09:46 AM   #61
Iceman
Infinity War!

I'll be interested to see where the NX places itself amongst these 2 upgraded consoles.

Old 06-03-2016, 11:21 AM   #62
X Knight
Watchful Protector

^ same.

Old 06-03-2016, 11:30 AM   #63
X Knight
Watchful Protector

at one point, it sounded like the NX was going to be more powerful than the current PS4 - making it possibly the most powerful console.

now, though, that's far less certain.

and, I read a rumor the other day claiming that Nintendo might be delaying production of the NX to add VR capabilities.

Old 06-03-2016, 12:07 PM   #64
Iceman
Infinity War!

Just saw that. I hope they were at least going for better than base PS4 specs originally.

Old 06-03-2016, 12:10 PM   #65
X Knight
Watchful Protector

^ hopefully.

Nintendo doesn't need to be the most powerful, but they definitely need to be competitive. Competitive enough so that 3rd parties will release games on the NX.

Old 06-03-2016, 12:14 PM   #66
Iceman
Infinity War!

Quote:
^ hopefully.

Nintendo doesn't need to be the most powerful, but they definitely need to be competitive. Competitive enough so that 3rd parties will release games on the NX.
In power terms alone, it would only have to be at base X1 level at max for that, as X1 will be obviously be fully supported.

Old 06-03-2016, 12:37 PM   #67
Havok83
Side-Kick

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/consoles

How did I not know the Xbox got a price cut this week?

Old 06-03-2016, 01:00 PM   #68
X Knight
Watchful Protector

Quote:
In power terms alone, it would only have to be at base X1 level at max for that, as X1 will be obviously be fully supported.
yeah. wasn't that another rumor, too? that NX would be equivalent to the current X1 in terms of power?

Old 06-03-2016, 01:04 PM   #69
Iceman
Infinity War!

Don't remember but that would have to be the minimum level and I'm sure they'll at least reach that. Now that these updated consoles will be so much more powerful than their predecessors Nintendo may not want to bother even trying to compete but rather carve out their own niche as before, but this time with the ability to play all multiplats till the end of the gen.

Old 06-03-2016, 01:23 PM   #70
X Knight
Watchful Protector

^ agreed.

this E3, and 2017, will both be very interesting, indeed.

and just a little over a week away from E3!!

Old 06-03-2016, 04:05 PM   #71
TX85
Banned User

The 4x stronger Scorpio Xbox rumors sounds very attractive and I am interested in VR tech but I bought my Xbox One for $350 last year and it still works just fine, Only way I'll probably be sold on trading/selling it is if it breaks down after my insurance runs out in march or if the scorpio will improve games and other stuff tremendously...which is doubt!

I don't need a 1TB console since I don't get a whole lot of games or download tons of content.

So for E3, I'm only interested in new games and new software features for the standard xbox!

Old 06-03-2016, 09:55 PM   #72
Iceman
Infinity War!

Yeah E3 has crept up quickly. Glad I've not thought about it too much so it seems to have got here faster.

That makes sense TX. Will be interesting what they have to say and how they are going to get people who would be on the fence interested.

Old 06-06-2016, 12:24 PM   #73
X Knight
Watchful Protector

Preview of Summer Update:

http://news.xbox.com/2016/06/06/xbox...pdate-preview/

Old 06-06-2016, 02:26 PM   #74
TX85
Banned User

Decent little updates

Old 06-06-2016, 02:30 PM   #75
X Knight
Watchful Protector

^ heh. more exciting than the PS4 updates.