The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > SHH Community > Politics

View Poll Results: Is it time to legalize pot?
Yes 177 74.37%
No 48 20.17%
I don't know 13 5.46%
Voters: 238. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 06-14-2012, 10:41 AM   #251
DBryan
Banned User

Default Re: Discussion: Legalizing Marijuana II

Best way of approaching it based on what? What are you talking about? How would it be a disaster?

Old 06-14-2012, 02:41 PM   #252
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick

If anyone knew their history, they'd appreciate how eerily reminiscent this is of prohibition.

Old 06-14-2012, 04:46 PM   #253
Kelly
#RESIST
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBryan View Post
Best way of approaching it based on what? What are you talking about? How would it be a disaster?
Too many variables as far as being caught with it in the car, much like alcohol, except that alcohol is out of your system much quicker than marijuana. I talking more of the rights of those using the marijuana, not others on the road with them.

I think that the legal variables need to be looked at before total legalization, therefore, in my opinion decriminalizing it first is a solid first step towards what you want....

So don't get me wrong, I'm not saying....."ooooh those bad weed smokers" I'm actually more worried about their rights....

It gets tiring when people jump to the conclusion that because you are for TOTAL LEGALIZATION RIGHT NOW, you are against it. Chill people, I want you to be able to legally smoke your weed.....*sighs* I'm looking at it more logically rather than...."I WANT MY WEED NOW...."

Old 06-14-2012, 05:08 PM   #254
MessiahDecoy123
Noble Savage

Is there an epidemic of weed-related fatal crashes?

It's not going to have any grave impact. Millions smoke weed every day. They are smoking right now but you'd never know it because they don't hurt anyone.

If they need to legalize gradually and do studies I'm okay with it. Just stop coming up with lies and scare tactics to stall legalization.

Old 06-14-2012, 05:11 PM   #255
Kelly
#RESIST
SHH! Administrator

Let's say you change lanes illegally and a cop pulls you over....you were smoking weed earlier that day. It is not impairing your driving at all, but it can be smelled on you, and is still solidly in your system. YOU ARE NOT THE PROBLEM, but without some specific guidelines you might could be arrested....THAT is all I'm saying.

I can just see these types of scenarios quite often....

Old 06-14-2012, 06:33 PM   #256
SV Fan
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly View Post
Let's say you change lanes illegally and a cop pulls you over....you were smoking weed earlier that day. It is not impairing your driving at all, but it can be smelled on you, and is still solidly in your system. YOU ARE NOT THE PROBLEM, but without some specific guidelines you might could be arrested....THAT is all I'm saying.

I think you listen a bit to much to all the BS Nancy Reagan was spewing in the 80s. The only thing we should have JUST SAY NO to was accepting what she said as fact

Old 06-14-2012, 08:49 PM   #257
MessiahDecoy123
Noble Savage

Quote:

There are prescription drugs far more dangerous to take while driving.

No breathalizer test for that kind of impairment to confirm recent use but life goes on.

Old 06-14-2012, 09:04 PM   #258
Kelly
#RESIST
SHH! Administrator

I KNOW THAT.....but not as easily to detect. AGAIN, I'm not saying that the driver who smoked pot is in error, never said that in my post....my post was to say that without some further thinking on this, people's right's will be violated...MAINLY, those who are legally smoking pot, but happen to be in a car accident hours, hell even days later...NOT BECAUSE they were under the influence of ANYTHING. Yet without some type of help to them in this situation, they could go to jail, having only been in a fender bender, and legally smoked in their home, but because the marijuana stays in the system longer (doesn't impair longer, I know this...) it could be used against them, even though the wreck had nothing to do with what they did hours, even days earlier.

I know that alcohol is far worse...
I know that prescription drugs are far more dangerous to take while driving...

neither of those things had anything to do with my point.

But, I'm getting tired, and if the point hasn't been made after what? the 6th point. Then I give up......

Old 06-14-2012, 09:24 PM   #259
MessiahDecoy123
Noble Savage

Quote:
I KNOW THAT.....but not as easily to detect. AGAIN, I'm not saying that the driver who smoked pot is in error, never said that in my post....my post was to say that without some further thinking on this, people's right's will be violated...MAINLY, those who are legally smoking pot, but happen to be in a car accident hours, hell even days later...NOT BECAUSE they were under the influence of ANYTHING. Yet without some type of help to them in this situation, they could go to jail, having only been in a fender bender, and legally smoked in their home, but because the marijuana stays in the system longer (doesn't impair longer, I know this...) it could be used against them, even though the wreck had nothing to do with what they did hours, even days earlier.

I know that alcohol is far worse...
I know that prescription drugs are far more dangerous to take while driving...

neither of those things had anything to do with my point.

But, I'm getting tired, and if the point hasn't been made after what? the 6th point. Then I give up......
It's okay and I didn't say anything so absurd that it would cause a meltdown.

My point is we tolerate prescription drugs despite lacking the ability to test for recent use, the same approach could be used for cannabis.

So unless you have scientific data that cannabis is more dangerous for drivers than prescription drugs you can go ahead and give up because that would be the only reason to strictly enforce DUI's against possibly stoned drivers.

Old 06-14-2012, 09:48 PM   #260
Kelly
#RESIST
SHH! Administrator

Perception has to change MD, for that to happen....and perception is FAR HARDER TO CHANGE, than the law and perception does not always follow scientific data....YET perception can kill a law or keep it on the books....that is why I think a slower move into legalization is needed. You are going to find far more people are ok with decriminalization RIGHT NOW, than ever before because of the cost of keeping people locked up over stupid crimes like having some weed in your pocket....so IMO, you change the perception by decriminalizing first, and the legalization will come.

Old 06-14-2012, 10:15 PM   #261
MessiahDecoy123
Noble Savage

Fair points.

I agree with much of it.

Old 06-14-2012, 11:18 PM   #262
craigdbfan
Banned User

Fantastic points by Kelly. That's the only way to go really.

You can't just rush into it and legalize it all at once.

Old 06-15-2012, 07:20 AM   #263
DBryan
Banned User

edit

Old 06-21-2012, 05:24 PM   #264
CashforStash
Baned User (get it)

I'd say to start off with legalization would be to have a state or two have it legal to smoke it in your house and only if you possess under 2/3 grams.

Old 06-21-2012, 07:27 PM   #265
Kelly
#RESIST
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Fan View Post
I think you listen a bit to much to all the BS Nancy Reagan was spewing in the 80s. The only thing we should have JUST SAY NO to was accepting what she said as fact
Which tells me you have truly not read ANY of my posts on this thread....

In fact it is obvious you didn't read the post you quoted....

Old 06-21-2012, 07:54 PM   #266
SV Fan
Side-Kick

Quote:
Which tells me you have truly not read ANY of my posts on this thread....

In fact it is obvious you didn't read the post you quoted....
I was just looking for any excuse to JUST SAY NO to Nancy Reagan's stupid first lady campaign from the 80s.

I have to say that was my first experience at a young age feeling that I was lied to by somebody in a high position in US politics and I blame her. lol

Old 06-21-2012, 07:59 PM   #267
Kelly
#RESIST
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Fan View Post
I was just looking for any excuse to JUST SAY NO to Nancy Reagan's stupid first lady campaign from the 80s.

I have to say that was my first experience at a young age feeling that I was lied to by somebody in a high position in US politics and I blame her. lol
Oh, well.....in that case, you take the President's wife far to seriously.....

Old 06-24-2012, 06:06 AM   #268
MessiahDecoy123
Noble Savage

Old 06-24-2012, 06:09 AM   #269
MessiahDecoy123
Noble Savage

And that doesn't include direct competition with pharmaceutical, alcohol and tobacco companies. Or on the threat to police job security and the prison industry.

Old 06-24-2012, 07:02 AM   #270
MessiahDecoy123
Noble Savage

How can anyone deny the DEA is a corrupt organization afer watching this???

Old 06-24-2012, 05:25 PM   #271
SV Fan
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by MessiahDecoy123 View Post
And that doesn't include direct competition with pharmaceutical, alcohol and tobacco companies. Or on the threat to police job security and the prison industry.
I would guess the prison industry and unions(ie jobs) would be 2 of the biggest backers of keeping it illegal. 3rd on the list would be pharmaceutical companies who do anything to screw over the natural remedy industry(amazing how many natural herbs and remedies get banned at the whim of big pharma).

Weird seeing those Koch brothers on the list although i assume they don't really do anything to hold the legalization of weed down

Old 07-24-2012, 11:26 PM   #272
Whiskey Tango
Side-Kick

L.A. City Council votes 14-0 to ban medical marijuana shops

Maybe now the dealers can quit their part time jobs at Subway and get back on the streets. Way to go LA.

2007-2008 SHH Pro Football Pick 'Em Champion
Old 07-25-2012, 12:43 AM   #273
Scooter
Banned User

Lame. So, in as far as the realities that exist along the lines from production to proliferation, voting against the legalization of marijuana is basically a vote in favor of cartel violence, right? Not to mention the realities of suffering patients with legitimate medical needs being forced to turn to illegal means of procurement, that are likely more difficult to carry out.

I thought CA was moving in the right direction on this one. I don't even partake myself unless I'm with a girl who does, but this is really disappointing. I would think the financial benefits to the city and state alone would be enough moving forward.

Old 07-25-2012, 02:11 PM   #274
Whiskey Tango
Side-Kick

it seems especially stupid since they're letting 170 of them stay open and failing that you just have to drive out of county. So it's like they're just trying to piss people off thru inconvenience. Of course plenty of people without reliable transportation will be hosed.

2007-2008 SHH Pro Football Pick 'Em Champion
Old 07-27-2012, 11:38 AM   #275
Donnie Darko
Forgotten Pre-New 52 Hero

Quote:
Too many variables as far as being caught with it in the car, much like alcohol, except that alcohol is out of your system much quicker than marijuana. I talking more of the rights of those using the marijuana, not others on the road with them.

I think that the legal variables need to be looked at before total legalization, therefore, in my opinion decriminalizing it first is a solid first step towards what you want....

So don't get me wrong, I'm not saying....."ooooh those bad weed smokers" I'm actually more worried about their rights....

It gets tiring when people jump to the conclusion that because you are for TOTAL LEGALIZATION RIGHT NOW, you are against it. Chill people, I want you to be able to legally smoke your weed.....*sighs* I'm looking at it more logically rather than...."I WANT MY WEED NOW...."
New to this thread, so just now seeing this. I completely agree with what you are saying here. I never even thought about things like DUIs when considering the legalization.

I have recently jumped on the "just regulate it like liquor" bandwagon, so you can tax the hell out of it. Keep growing it and selling it illegal so people can't get around the system and you can get that sales/tax revenue for it. I really don't know what the best solution would be.