The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > SHH Community > Politics

View Poll Results: Is it time to legalize pot?
Yes 177 74.37%
No 48 20.17%
I don't know 13 5.46%
Voters: 238. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 04:17 PM   #326
moraldeficiency
Maxwell's Demon

Default Re: No more rights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvlknight21 View Post
Your facts are a little mixed up.
The US Constitution never allowed for the protection of people's rights to use drugs. The rights from that document are, for the most part, with limited exceptions, still in place (right to bear arms, right to free speech, etc).

Sadly drug use/addiction does affect the lives of others many times. Now while there may be some casual users of marijuana who never let it affect their daily lives (they still go to work, pay their bills, take care of their families), there are plenty of users, particularly of hard drugs, that wreck the lives of their families and loved ones.

99% of the American population doesnt go to work and doesnt drool to the tv and then go to bed. That was a really bad generalization.
Fun fact the Bill of Rights is actually written on Hemp paper which was made illegal and a manditory confiscation and destruction material based on today's laws.

Yes but Marijuana (I hate using that racist term) isn't a hard drug so lumping it in with others doesn't really play.

In terms of Hemp the lives it destroys comes only from the people caught by the gov. and severely punished for it.

OMG, it makes sense now. Does Fox News know about this?
Old 10-04-2012, 07:51 AM   #327
mrvlknight21
Pullups for breakfast!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by moraldeficiency View Post
Fun fact the Bill of Rights is actually written on Hemp paper which was made illegal and a manditory confiscation and destruction material based on today's laws.

Yes but Marijuana (I hate using that racist term) isn't a hard drug so lumping it in with others doesn't really play.

In terms of Hemp the lives it destroys comes only from the people caught by the gov. and severely punished for it.
Just to be clear, I was not lumping marijuana in with other drugs.

My response was to Smirnoff, who (to me) made it sound like the government shouldnt outlaw ANY drug use.
He was kind of generic in what he said (he said this: "How is it legal to poison the **** out of the planet, atmosphere and each other with chemicals and cigarettes but we can't do drugs that effect nobody but our own selves?"), so I took that to possibly mean any/all drugs.

Also, how is marijuana a racist term?

Old 10-04-2012, 09:26 AM   #328
moraldeficiency
Maxwell's Demon

Quote:
Just to be clear, I was not lumping marijuana in with other drugs.

My response was to Smirnoff, who (to me) made it sound like the government shouldnt outlaw ANY drug use.
He was kind of generic in what he said (he said this: "How is it legal to poison the **** out of the planet, atmosphere and each other with chemicals and cigarettes but we can't do drugs that effect nobody but our own selves?"), so I took that to possibly mean any/all drugs.

Ah, I misunderstood, my apologies.

Marijuana was a mexican slang term for hemp. Hearst along with some politicians in trying to outlaw the drugs to protect their paper and plastic concerns did research and decided to capitalize on anti-hispanic feelings of racism in the US by renaming Hemp into marijuana because hemp is a plant but marijuana sounds all mexican and therefore bad, it also takes away the associations of it as a product. It's funny and sad that now all scientists and politicians stopped using the plant's actual name in favor for a slang term that was picked up for these reasons.

Old 10-04-2012, 09:28 AM   #329
Whiskey Tango
Side-Kick

Quote:
Contrary to persistent misinformation in the cannabis community, Harry Anslinger, Randolph Hearst et. al., didn’t “create” the word marijuana. Yes, there are those who believe that — in fact, I saw it repeated as fact on Facebook twice just this morning.

Yet, distressingly, there are still websites like FunnyOrDie.com that keep the misinformation going by flatly stating the word was created in the 1930s expressly to “tarnish the good image… of the hemp plant.”

There’s absolutely nothing inherently wrong with the word marijuana itself — unless you are prejudiced against the Spanish language or Mexicans. Whatever potency the word must have had to Americans of the 1930s has long dissipated and faded away as Hispanics have become a part of the mainstream.

It’s true that Anslinger, Hearst, et.al., simply appropriated and misused the slang term “marijuana” because it sounded more sinister — to Anglo ears — than “cannabis.” But obviously, the fact that they used a “Mexican-sounding” word for racist reasons does not render the word itself inherently racist.

The term, originally spelled variously as marihuana, mariguana, etc., originated in Mexican Spanish, according to American Heritage Dictionaries. The ultimate derivation is unknown; it may come from the Nahuatl mallihuan, meaning prisoner, according to the Oxford English Dictionary.

Traditional association with the personal name María Juana (“Mary Jane”) is probably a folk etymology, according to Random House Webster’s Unabridged Dictionary.

The original Mexican Spanish used forms with the letter ‘h’ (marihuana). Forms using the letter ‘j’ (marijuana) seem to be an innovation of English, though they later appeared in French and in Spanish, probably due to English influence, according to Oxford.

The word entered into English usage in the late 19th century. According to Oxford, the first known appearance of a form of the word in that language is in Hubert Howe Bancroft’s 1873 The Native Races of the Pacific States of North America.

Through the early 20th century, however, both the drug and the plant were more commonly known as “cannabis” or “hemp”.

“Marihuana”‘s usage in American English increased dramatically in the 1930s, when it was used by prohibitionists as an exotic-sounding alternative name during the debates of the drug’s use — the ugly assumption being, of course, that anything “Mexican sounding” would automatically be suspect.

And that, my friends, is the silly story of how marijuana became a pejorative.

http://newsjunkiepost.com/2011/01/30...ats-in-a-word/

2007-2008 SHH Pro Football Pick 'Em Champion
Old 10-04-2012, 09:32 AM   #330
LegendaryCaleb
Side-Kick

Default Re: Discussion: Legalizing Marijuana II

seriously just decriminalize the dang thing.

Old 10-04-2012, 09:36 AM   #331
moraldeficiency
Maxwell's Demon

The N word was originally used by blacks so by this brilliant reasoning there's nothing wrong with me tossing that around to refer to black people. I mean it's just a slang term so no harm there.

If you use a term specifically to capitalize on racism, changing already accepted words for one that doesn't exist, then you're obviously being racist. There is no other reason to change a word that already has a meaning and used by scientists for a slang term, and this was picked up by anti-hemp white guys in suits and used along with propaganda denouncing the horrific mexican scourge that's creeping into good white homes.

Old 10-04-2012, 12:19 PM   #332
mrvlknight21
Pullups for breakfast!!

Quote:
Ah, I misunderstood, my apologies.

Marijuana was a mexican slang term for hemp. Hearst along with some politicians in trying to outlaw the drugs to protect their paper and plastic concerns did research and decided to capitalize on anti-hispanic feelings of racism in the US by renaming Hemp into marijuana because hemp is a plant but marijuana sounds all mexican and therefore bad, it also takes away the associations of it as a product. It's funny and sad that now all scientists and politicians stopped using the plant's actual name in favor for a slang term that was picked up for these reasons.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey Tango View Post
Contrary to persistent misinformation in the cannabis community, Harry Anslinger, Randolph Hearst et. al., didn’t “create” the word marijuana. Yes, there are those who believe that — in fact, I saw it repeated as fact on Facebook twice just this morning.

Yet, distressingly, there are still websites like FunnyOrDie.com that keep the misinformation going by flatly stating the word was created in the 1930s expressly to “tarnish the good image… of the hemp plant.”

There’s absolutely nothing inherently wrong with the word marijuana itself — unless you are prejudiced against the Spanish language or Mexicans. Whatever potency the word must have had to Americans of the 1930s has long dissipated and faded away as Hispanics have become a part of the mainstream.

It’s true that Anslinger, Hearst, et.al., simply appropriated and misused the slang term “marijuana” because it sounded more sinister — to Anglo ears — than “cannabis.” But obviously, the fact that they used a “Mexican-sounding” word for racist reasons does not render the word itself inherently racist.

The term, originally spelled variously as marihuana, mariguana, etc., originated in Mexican Spanish, according to American Heritage Dictionaries. The ultimate derivation is unknown; it may come from the Nahuatl mallihuan, meaning prisoner, according to the Oxford English Dictionary.

Traditional association with the personal name María Juana (“Mary Jane”) is probably a folk etymology, according to Random House Webster’s Unabridged Dictionary.

The original Mexican Spanish used forms with the letter ‘h’ (marihuana). Forms using the letter ‘j’ (marijuana) seem to be an innovation of English, though they later appeared in French and in Spanish, probably due to English influence, according to Oxford.

The word entered into English usage in the late 19th century. According to Oxford, the first known appearance of a form of the word in that language is in Hubert Howe Bancroft’s 1873 The Native Races of the Pacific States of North America.

Through the early 20th century, however, both the drug and the plant were more commonly known as “cannabis” or “hemp”.

“Marihuana”‘s usage in American English increased dramatically in the 1930s, when it was used by prohibitionists as an exotic-sounding alternative name during the debates of the drug’s use — the ugly assumption being, of course, that anything “Mexican sounding” would automatically be suspect.

And that, my friends, is the silly story of how marijuana became a pejorative.

http://newsjunkiepost.com/2011/01/30...ats-in-a-word/
I literally write the word "marijuana" on a daily basis and have never heard any of this.
Thanks for the education guys.

Old 10-04-2012, 03:25 PM   #333
moraldeficiency
Maxwell's Demon

Quote:
I literally write the word "marijuana" on a daily basis and have never heard any of this.
Thanks for the education guys.
What awesome pot advocacy job do you have and are they hiring?

Old 10-04-2012, 03:57 PM   #334
mrvlknight21
Pullups for breakfast!!

Quote:
What awesome pot advocacy job do you have and are they hiring?
LOL. Just the opposite. Im in law enforcement.

Old 10-04-2012, 04:04 PM   #335
MessiahDecoy123
Noble Savage

It's a raid!

Everybody bail!!!

Old 10-04-2012, 04:31 PM   #336
Dark Sentinel
Banned User

I've actually spoken with law enforcement who are pro-legalization, if anything to make their jobs less tedious.

Old 10-04-2012, 05:37 PM   #337
MessiahDecoy123
Noble Savage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Sentinel View Post
I've actually spoken with law enforcement who are pro-legalization, if anything to make their jobs less tedious.
It also increases the public trust because the police are targeting actual bad guys instead of people just looking for a buzz/high.

Old 10-04-2012, 05:44 PM   #338
moraldeficiency
Maxwell's Demon

Quote:
LOL. Just the opposite. Im in law enforcement.
Haha, perhaps, though I actually know a few that smoke. Plus as a cop or someone like that you probably see better than most just how much money is thrown at preventing something that's pretty harmless which could be going to say dealing with rapists or serious drugs or (well pretty much anything else qualifies). Most in law enforcement that I've spoken to (speaking off the record of course) understand there is no "winning" any war on pot and the majority don't see the point. One I've spoken to tells me he wishes all criminals were high 24/7 as that would probably stop them committing the very nasty crimes of passion and make them easier to catch (logic to which I can see no flaw in).

Edit: let me just say whatever it is you do, thanks for that. (this isn't sarcasm, I've been told I need to say this cause I'm a bit of a sarcastic ass, which is fair)

Old 10-04-2012, 06:02 PM   #339
Dark Sentinel
Banned User

If you don't mind, here are some thoughts I posted on another forum:

Let it be known and on the record that I am fervently pro-legalization. But not just of the cannabis bud itself but the entire hemp plant. Let me explain:

I am a responsible pot smoker, however I am currently in Drug Court for misdemeanor cannabis possession (until February) and I can say that it is a ridiculous waste of my state's (Florida) judicial responsibility and taxpayer money. Though I don't live in the state, I support Washington State's Initiative 502, which is on the ballot this November, and would legalize recreational marijuana use for adults 21 and over, with a grower-retailer system regulated by the state's Liquor Control Board and taxed by the state government, with revenues earmarked for state programs from healthcare to substance abuse education and prevention. Projections indicate that revenues for the first full year would exceed $560million! Imagine that, on a NATIONAL scale. Here is a link to the text of the bill itself: http://www.scribd.com/mobile/doc/107078380

I believe that legalizing the hemp plant as a whole would be hugely beneficial to the economy, since it would not only bolster the agricultural industry (oh and by the way, the US's diverse climate regions allow for a variety of marijuana strains of varying potencies, just saying) but to the textile industry as well, making both clothes and paper. We need our leaders to recognize that their stigmas about marijuana are archaic and damaging to our nation's economy AND people, and trust in the responsibility of the average adult.

So, where do you stand on legalization?

Last edited by Dark Sentinel; 10-04-2012 at 06:08 PM.
Old 10-04-2012, 06:09 PM   #340
moraldeficiency
Maxwell's Demon

That is a great post DS. I think honestly looking at the numbers not just in this board but nationwide, a legalization of hemp would be favorable to most US citizens, more so if actually facts are used.

Edit: the only point I would add is trust not just in the average citizen but in gov. information at large. I really think other drugs would take a major hit from first time users if the gov. was just honest in how "bad" weed actually is, cause and I've seen this many times with my own eyes, when we're told how bad pot is then you see actual people doing it or high, see how low level it really is it makes people question the veracity in the govs. claims on other drugs which are actually horrific.

Old 10-04-2012, 06:15 PM   #341
Whiskey Tango
Side-Kick

It really blew my mind when I learned about all the uses for hemp. I thought it was just unsmokeable pot that Woody Harrelson liked to make t shirts out of but once I realized it was useful for just about everything I couldn't believe it. It's really crazy that farmers aren't allowed to grow the stuff. It would be a massive boon to the economy.

Old 10-04-2012, 06:18 PM   #342
Dark Sentinel
Banned User

Quote:
That is a great post DS. I think honestly looking at the numbers not just in this board but nationwide, a legalization of hemp would be favorable to most US citizens, more so if actually facts are used.

Edit: the only point I would add is trust not just in the average citizen but in gov. information at large. I really think other drugs would take a major hit from first time users if the gov. was just honest in how "bad" weed actually is, cause and I've seen this many times with my own eyes, when we're told how bad pot is then you see actual people doing it or high, see how low level it really is it makes people question the veracity in the govs. claims on other drugs which are actually horrific.
Agreed, and I do believe that "hard drugs" like cocaine, crack, heroin, meth, bath salts, etc. deserve to be illegal, simply because they are a)chemically distilled/created/fabricated and b)far more damaging as a result of the artificiality. Marijuana, as a pure, natural growing plant is actually proven to be less harmful than cigarettes and alcohol (though still harmful in excess, as everything is). Nevertheless, while there are still idiots who abuse alcohol, there will be idiots who abuse marijuana. Does that mean we should hold alcohol to the same standard and prohibit it again? No! It means that, with the exception of those individuals, people will more often than not, at the end of the day, make the responsible decision for themselves. But I agree, the government would be wise to put in some cash and effort into television, radio, and new media PSA's, similar to those concerning alcohol now. You have to give the benefit of the doubt to both sides of the argument and allow the general populace to make up their own damn minds.

EDIT: Oh, and Washington State's projected budget, if multiplied by 50, would be exceeding $28,000,000,000

Last edited by Dark Sentinel; 10-04-2012 at 06:45 PM.
Old 10-04-2012, 06:24 PM   #343
moraldeficiency
Maxwell's Demon

Way I see it if you're an addict or want to be one, you can always buy glue. There really is no way to stop abuse of anything. Still I don't want to be held to the same standards of #@$holes that misuse anything they can get their hands on. Also my friend died on cancer and weed was one of the few things that let her actually eat so the thought that something which doesn't cause you to freak out (alcohol) and you can't really OD on period being illegal bothers the hell out of me.

Plus I like getting high. It settles me down and I think anyone that's ever disagreed with me on these boards (I call then people that are wrong) would have to admit is something that's a good idea for me.

Old 10-05-2012, 07:57 AM   #344
mrvlknight21
Pullups for breakfast!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MessiahDecoy123 View Post
It's a raid!

Everybody bail!!!

LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Sentinel View Post
Thats true, there are law enforcement officers who believe it should be legalized.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MessiahDecoy123 View Post
It also increases the public trust because the police are targeting actual bad guys instead of people just looking for a buzz/high.
The only issue with this is, often, not all the time, but often, the marijuana dealers are also cocaine dealers, ecstasy dealers, carry guns, etc.
Now, IF you are referring to simple marijuana USERS, ignore my comment above.

Quote:
Edit: let me just say whatever it is you do, thanks for that. (this isn't sarcasm, I've been told I need to say this cause I'm a bit of a sarcastic ass, which is fair)
Thanks.

Quote:
Way I see it if you're an addict or want to be one, you can always buy glue. There really is no way to stop abuse of anything. Still I don't want to be held to the same standards of #@$holes that misuse anything they can get their hands on.
This is also true.
Chris Rock said something similar. He said that if a person somehow realizes that they can put gasoline and lima beans in a baby bottle and suck on it to get high, they will do it.

Old 10-07-2012, 12:41 PM   #345
SV Fan
Side-Kick

http://www.canoncitydailyrecord.com/...leads-new-poll

Quote:
Colorado marijuana legalization initiative leads in new poll

A majority of Colorado voters support a ballot measure to legalize limited possession of marijuana, according to a new Denver Post poll.
The poll found that the measure, Amendment 64, has the support of 51 percent of likely voters surveyed, compared with 40 percent opposed.

Old 10-07-2012, 12:45 PM   #346
Dark Sentinel
Banned User

I became so impassioned about this that I created an online petition http://signon.org/sign/florida-respo...w&r_by=5715871 I know there are some Hype!sters from Florida, so if you'd like to read it and sign it I'd be much obliged

Old 10-10-2012, 08:10 PM   #347
Dark Sentinel
Banned User

Detroit's getting in on antiprohibition too!
http://hightimes.com/news/mmiller/7952

Old 10-10-2012, 09:57 PM   #348
warhorse78
Side-Kick

Eh, like most everything else in the USA, Britain will have to make it legal first, and then we will follow suit.

I never smoked the stuff, but honestly, it's just stupid to outlaw it. It's only outlawed because of traditionalists, corps and special interest groups.

Surprised the bicycle hasn't become illegal yet.

Old 10-11-2012, 12:22 AM   #349
Whiskey Tango
Side-Kick

Article on the initiatives in Colorado, Washington and Oregon.

http://www.wsmv.com/story/19770355/e...es-are-no-joke

Old 10-21-2012, 10:27 PM   #350
Rodrigo90
Wink wink ;)

I'm bit of a moralist (blame comics lol)

I've never touched drugs and never will touch them.

But if legalizing this stuff will lower crimes and actually be ensured with that, to help people and not **** their lives up, then yeah, go for it.

I just pray that it doesn't start a trend in years that all drugs should become legal lol

Thank You!
UPDATED!!! My FanFic Page

~*SHH SIX*~
Batboy

Last edited by Rodrigo90; 10-21-2012 at 10:30 PM.
Closed Thread