The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Misc. Comics Films

Old 02-23-2016, 09:35 AM   #76
AVEITWITHJAMON
We are Legion

Default Re: Your Top 5 CBM's You Consider Underrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erzengel View Post
Yeah, Fox wasn't giving huge budgets for the X-Men movies. However, the HEAVY use of Wolverine and having characters like Cyclops as tertiary didn't help with the overall X-Men movies.
To be fair, it wasn't until the 3rd movie me and plenty of other people got fed up of that. The screentime was shared quite evenly in the first movie. Wolverine did get a lot of focus in the 2nd but so did some others like Nightcrawler and Jean. But the 3rd movie should have been Scott and Jean's time to shine, instead we got Wolverine in a role he shouldn't have been in. I think before X3 people didn't have as much of a problem with it.

1)War For The Planet Of The Apes-10(2)Logan-9.5(3)Baby Driver-9.5(4)Dunkirk-9(5)Thor: Ragnorak-9(6)Wonder Woman-9(7)Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol.2-9(8)Blade Runner 2049-8.5(9)It-8(10)Spider-Man: Homecoming-8(11)John Wick 2-8(12)Split-8(13)Kingsman: The Golden Circle-8(14)Kong: Skull Island-7.5(15)Justice League-7(16)Alien Covenant-7(17)Ghost In The Shell-7(18)POTC: Salazar's Revenge-7(19)The Dark Tower-4(20)Transformers: The Last Knight-4
AVEITWITHJAMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 09:45 AM   #77
Flint Marko
Side-Kick

That might be true but go back and watch X1 and 2 and see how little all of the other X-men get to do in comparison to Wolverine. Storm is a complete joke, Jean is little more than a pretty face, and Scott is just there to antagonize Logan. Fans might not have been sick of Wolverine until X3 but it's been the Wolverine show all along.
I think in the beginning Wolverine was sort of the audience's way in to the world of the X-men. He was a cynical outsider who thought the whole thing was ridiculous at first but then grew to understand it. So in that sense his role was fine but once they saw audiences latch onto him they made him the star of the show at the expense of everyone else.

Now characters such as the X-Men and the Fantastic Four can come home to the place where they belong. It’s vitally important to have the Marvel characters under one roof. And now, as great as they were before, I can’t wait to see the wonders that will unfold!
Flint Marko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 10:02 AM   #78
Erzengel
|-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

I remember more scenes with Wolverine than anyone else. They might have switched it up pairing him with individual X-Men, Professor X, Rogue, Jean, Storm, Cyclops but from what I recall he was in there for a majority.

A better example would probably be DOFP where he was still had a major role but that I felt was more shared.

Last edited by Erzengel; 02-23-2016 at 10:08 AM.
Erzengel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 01:55 PM   #79
AVEITWITHJAMON
We are Legion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint Marko View Post
That might be true but go back and watch X1 and 2 and see how little all of the other X-men get to do in comparison to Wolverine. Storm is a complete joke, Jean is little more than a pretty face, and Scott is just there to antagonize Logan. Fans might not have been sick of Wolverine until X3 but it's been the Wolverine show all along.
I think in the beginning Wolverine was sort of the audience's way in to the world of the X-men. He was a cynical outsider who thought the whole thing was ridiculous at first but then grew to understand it. So in that sense his role was fine but once they saw audiences latch onto him they made him the star of the show at the expense of everyone else.
I agree he got over used, but it can happen with popular characters in team movies. Look at Optimus Prime and Bumblebee in TF or Raphael in TMNT, it happens. By the end of AOU I was sick to death of Iron Man. But I think X1 and 2 got the balance better than those movies IMO. However I disagree the others got nothing or even little to do. Cyclops got plenty to do in X1 but got the shaft in X2, Rogue go plenty of screen time, the most memorable scene in X2 was Jeans death and she had many more moments. Nightcrawler, Iceman, Pyro and Storm all got moments to shine also. Magneto and Xavier also got plenty of good moments in both movies as well.

Quote:
I remember more scenes with Wolverine than anyone else. They might have switched it up pairing him with individual X-Men, Professor X, Rogue, Jean, Storm, Cyclops but from what I recall he was in there for a majority.

A better example would probably be DOFP where he was still had a major role but that I felt was more shared.
I remember plenty without him as well though, some of favourite scenes in them involve Wolverine very little or not at all. That's why I don't think it was that bad in the first 2 movies. But X3 took the piss with Wolverine. It should have been Scotts time to shine and Singer has said if he had done X3 it would have been. But Fox wanted Wolverine front and centre and made me dislike the character for the first time in my life.

1)War For The Planet Of The Apes-10(2)Logan-9.5(3)Baby Driver-9.5(4)Dunkirk-9(5)Thor: Ragnorak-9(6)Wonder Woman-9(7)Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol.2-9(8)Blade Runner 2049-8.5(9)It-8(10)Spider-Man: Homecoming-8(11)John Wick 2-8(12)Split-8(13)Kingsman: The Golden Circle-8(14)Kong: Skull Island-7.5(15)Justice League-7(16)Alien Covenant-7(17)Ghost In The Shell-7(18)POTC: Salazar's Revenge-7(19)The Dark Tower-4(20)Transformers: The Last Knight-4

Last edited by AVEITWITHJAMON; 02-23-2016 at 02:02 PM.
AVEITWITHJAMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 12:59 AM   #80
DACrowe
Side-Kick

1. Kick-Ass
2. V For Vendetta
3. Stardust
4. The Rocketeer
5. X-Men (2000)

None of these get their true due. It really is a shame.

--John Adams
DACrowe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 01:10 AM   #81
DigificWriter
Banned User

My choices (in no particular order):
* 300 (I love everything about this movie, from the casting to the visuals to the story to the atmosphere)

* Batman Forever (forms the perfect 'capper' to what I like to call the "Burton/Schumacher Trilogy")

* Men in Black 3 (the best of the trilogy, and a film that recaptured the fun of the first film without being repetitive)

* Man of Steel (the movie that made me actually care about Superman as a character)

* Thor: The Dark World (my favorite of the two Thor movies, and one of my Top 5 favorite MCU films [along with Iron Man 2, Captain America: The Winter Soldier, Guardians of the Galaxy, and The Avengers])

DigificWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 10:32 AM   #82
GR8GODZILLAGOD
That's Mr. Newbie to you.

The Incredible Hulk
Thor
I have no idea why TIH gets such a "meh" response.

"AND?"

"I FOUND IT...BENEATH ME."
GR8GODZILLAGOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 12:38 PM   #83
Bayne
Side-Kick

Number 1 by far: Kick-Ass
I love a lot of comic book/superhero movies, but this is the only one so far (imo) that's had a near perfect mix of great heroes, great villains and great story.

For the rest... I don't know that I would say they should be in everyone's top 10, but the ones I like the best which don't seem to get as much love would be:

2) Captain America The First Avenger
3) V for Vendetta
4) The Punisher (2004)
5) Man of Steel

Bayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 02:09 PM   #84
DarthSkywalker
May the Force Be With You

Old 02-26-2016, 11:52 PM   #85
Decepticonus
Banned User

1. The Incredible Hulk
2. The Crow
3. Sin City: A Dame To Kill For (people treat it like it's garbage though, when it ain't half bad or that different from the first.)
4. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
5. Dredd

Decepticonus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 12:03 AM   #86
The Shape
In the shadows

The Crow isn't a movie I'd consider to be underrated. Maybe it's not talked about much these days, but when it is, it seems like most people speak highly of it.

It is one of my favorite CBMs.

Old 02-27-2016, 12:47 AM   #87
spiderman2
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigificWriter View Post
My choices (in no particular order):
* 300 (I love everything about this movie, from the casting to the visuals to the story to the atmosphere)

* Batman Forever (forms the perfect 'capper' to what I like to call the "Burton/Schumacher Trilogy&quot

* Men in Black 3 (the best of the trilogy, and a film that recaptured the fun of the first film without being repetitive)

* Man of Steel (the movie that made me actually care about Superman as a character)

* Thor: The Dark World (my favorite of the two Thor movies, and one of my Top 5 favorite MCU films [along with Iron Man 2, Captain America: The Winter Soldier, Guardians of the Galaxy, and The Avengers])
Agree with Men in black 3 for sure. I don't think any of the men in black movies are great but I also don't think 2 is bad either even though most people do. I think men in black 3 is the best and I also liked the twist and like how they did time travel and how the movie was so different because of that.

1.Dark knight rises 2.Spider man 2 3.Batman begins 4.Dark knight 5.Cap Civil war 6.Logan 7.Spider-Man homecoming 8.Cap winter soilder 9.Amazing Spider-Man 2 10.Doctor strange 11.Xmen DOFP.12.Xmen FC. 13.Spiderman 14.WW 15. Avengers AOU 16. Avengers 17.Amazing Spider-Man 18.Iron man 3 19.Man of steel 20.Spider-Man 3

Need to rewatch about 5 to have a final list.
spiderman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 01:57 AM   #88
dude stannis
Banned User

1) Man of Steel.
2) Watchmen
3) Iron Man Three
4) Dredd
5) Captain America: The First Avenger.

dude stannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 06:09 AM   #89
DigificWriter
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderman2 View Post
Agree with Men in black 3 for sure. I don't think any of the men in black movies are great but I also don't think 2 is bad either even though most people do. I think men in black 3 is the best and I also liked the twist and like how they did time travel and how the movie was so different because of that.
It's been years since I've seen MiB 2, but from what I remember, the film felt less fun to me because it felt like an exact repeat of the first film, just with a less interesting villain and story.

As an aside, I should definitely try to get my hands on the Trilogy and give it a watch-through just to see if MiB 2 works better in sequential conjunction with its predecessor and sequel.

DigificWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 09:23 AM   #90
Daltonio
Avi Arad's Sidekick

The Amazing Spider-Man
The Amazing Spider-Man 2
Daredevil
Kick-Ass
Punisher: War Zone

Old 02-28-2016, 06:11 PM   #91
Flint Marko
Side-Kick

I'm not a huge fan of Punisher War Zone but that opening sequence with the chandelier is pretty awesome.

Now characters such as the X-Men and the Fantastic Four can come home to the place where they belong. It’s vitally important to have the Marvel characters under one roof. And now, as great as they were before, I can’t wait to see the wonders that will unfold!
Flint Marko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 06:20 PM   #92
Greens
I am Danny DeVito

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint Marko View Post
I'm not a huge fan of Punisher War Zone but that opening sequence with the chandelier is pretty awesome.
It is. Too bad the rest of the movie doesn't live up to that scene.

Aziz
Greens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 08:09 AM   #93
4thWallBreaker
Banned User

Couldn't put them in order.

- Wonder Woman (2009)
- Dredd
- Hellboy II: The Golden Army (I feel it's much less appreciated than the first.)
- Ghost World
- Doctor Strange (2007)

Everything else got a pretty good notice, imo.

4thWallBreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 08:49 AM   #94
Flattop
Banned User

2. Addams Family Values

3. Hardware

4. Hercules (2014)

5. Tank Girl

Last edited by Flattop; 02-29-2016 at 08:58 AM.
Flattop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 10:08 PM   #95
Mandon Knight
Side-Kick

In retrospect, Spiderman 3 isn't all that bad, I've never actually disliked it, a little mis-guided and muddled but essentially it's a good 'round off' to the Raimi trilogy.

Mandon Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 11:18 AM   #96
Mondragon
Side-Kick

The Mask of Zorro.
Although the film (not the sequel) tends to be liked well enough, it tends to be ignored, despite being released on the cusp of the new superhero movie boom (1998), and having most every trait to qualify, yet due to its pulp origin, more proto-superhero roots and swashbuckler/western setting, it's not often included in the narrative.
Despite the undeniable influence, already being an ongoing comic before many comic heroes, (and even at the time of release having a MARVEL comic series)...

Yet it's still skipped in the comic book movie hero narrative.
Quote:
I think in terms of setting up the genre of CBM, between Batman and X-Men it was Blade.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVEITWITHJAMON View Post
Blade started it again, X-Men made it more mainstream, and Spiderman took the genre into blockbuster territory.
Case in point; ^the above mentioned "between Batman & Robin(1997) and X-Men(2000)" which costumed hero character is more successfully bridging the gap "in terms of setting up the genre" ?

Lets look at the numbers:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia list of American superhero films

(1997) Batman & Robin............................................. .$238,207,122
(1997) Spawn.................................$87,840,042
(1997) Steel........................$1,710,972
(1998) The Mask of Zorro............................................. ...$250,288,523
(1998) Blade............................................. ..$131,183,530
(1999) Mystery Men.................$33,461,011
(2000) X-Men............................................... .....................$296,339,527
Yet it's ignored as a comic book hero movie , and it's impact on the genre.
The Mask of Zorro is "underrated", as far as it's never counted in that narrative, for the reason said above.

Last edited by Mondragon; 01-01-2018 at 09:34 AM.
Mondragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 12:51 AM   #97
Mr.T
Side-Kick

1. Dredd
2. V for Vendetta
3. Constantine
4. Blade
5. Watchmen

Mr.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 02:41 AM   #98
Leenie
Side-Kick

This is a pretty easy list to make, in my opinion ...

1. Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World

2. Kick-Ass

3. Dredd

4. Captain America: The First Avenger (It's one of my favorites in the MCU, yet I know a lot of people who aren't so enthusiastic about it).

5. V For Vendetta

(8) Captain America: The Winter Soldier,
(9) Guardians of the Galaxy, (10) Deadpool
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 02:53 AM   #99
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant

List was way easier than I thought it would be.

1. The Incredible Hulk. Extremely enjoyable and well put together film. Good acting, good writing, good plot.
2. Iron Man 2. Quotable as hell and Rourke should be proud of what he turned a particularly lamely written villain into. And without this one we wouldn't have had Justin Hammer. That would be a real loss.
3. The Punisher (2004). Amazing grit and thrill. Especially good considering how few R rated cbms there are.
4. Amazing Spider-Man. This movie was solid. I don't care what anyone says. People get bent out of shape for the creative liberties and yeah the series took a nose dive in the sequel, but this one was good while it lasted.
5. Man of Steel. This movie is more divisive than underrated but I think it deserves credit where credit is due. I'm a fan.

Honorable mention: Age of Ultron. The movie clearly had a lot of heart in it and if it had been like 10- 15 minutes longer probably would've lived up to all expectations. Way better than some people seem to think.

Tradition is just dead people's baggage.
pr0xyt0xin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 03:55 AM   #100
psylockolussus
Fierce User

1. X-Men (2000)
2. The Wolverine (2013)
3. Thor (2011)
4. Wanted (2008)