The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Misc. Comics Films

Old 03-17-2016, 07:49 PM   #101
DarthDaveBanner
Side-Kick

Default Re: Your Top 5 CBM's You Consider Underrated

Hulk (2003) to be sure. Way ahead of its time.

Old 03-17-2016, 10:02 PM   #102
Boy Scout
Side-Kick

I can only think of two. ASM and TIH.

Boy Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 02:46 PM   #103
AVEITWITHJAMON
Cloud kicks ass

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthDaveBanner View Post
Hulk (2003) to be sure. Way ahead of its time.

1)Avengers: Infinity War-9.5(2)A Quiet Place-9(3)Black Panther-9(4)Deadpool 2-9(5)The Shape of Water-8.5(6)Ready Player One-8(7)Solo: A Star Wars Story-8(8)Jurassic World- Fallen Kingdom-7.5(9)Tomb Raider-7(10)Pacific Rim Uprising-7
AVEITWITHJAMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 12:07 PM   #104
Tony Stark
Armored Avenger!

Dredd is probably one of the top 5 comic book adaptations of all time to be a complete financial flop.

Other than that, my others would be Hellboy, and the Crow.

Old 04-23-2016, 10:45 AM   #105
AVEITWITHJAMON
Cloud kicks ass

I will probably get some flack for this but I don't care. I think the first Transformers movie is incredibly under rated. I remember it being loved at the time it came out but since the sequels opinion on the first movie seems to have dipped. However I think this is more to do with the sequels and how they are viewed rather than the first film itself.

I re-watched it the other and as blockbuster it still hits all the right notes. There is a ton of heart in the movie led by the relationship between Sam and Bumblebee, with a good dose of emotion and the requisite action expected in a blockbuster. The hairs on the back of my neck still go up at times like Sam and Mikaela meeting Bumblebee for the first time and Sam running to help Bumblebee when S7 capture them and are hurting him. For me it's Bay's best movie and still a damn good blockbuster. And as CBM, very under rated.

1)Avengers: Infinity War-9.5(2)A Quiet Place-9(3)Black Panther-9(4)Deadpool 2-9(5)The Shape of Water-8.5(6)Ready Player One-8(7)Solo: A Star Wars Story-8(8)Jurassic World- Fallen Kingdom-7.5(9)Tomb Raider-7(10)Pacific Rim Uprising-7
Old 04-23-2016, 12:00 PM   #106
MessiahDecoy123
Noble Savage

I don't think Transformers counts.

It was always considered a toy and TV cartoon series before anything else.

MessiahDecoy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 02:37 PM   #107
OcStat
Side-Kick

Yeah it doesn't count, but I can agree that the first Transformers was an enjoyable movie, especially compared to the rest of films that followed it.

Ang's Hulk is definitely underrated.

OcStat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 02:45 PM   #108
AVEITWITHJAMON
Cloud kicks ass

Well as some one who has read the comics for years, it counts to me.

Last edited by AVEITWITHJAMON; 04-23-2016 at 04:12 PM.
Old 04-23-2016, 03:13 PM   #109
OcStat
Side-Kick

Well when you put it like that...it's not really up for debate. Haha. Did you watch discover cartoon first? I never got to into Transformers.

Old 04-23-2016, 04:12 PM   #110
AVEITWITHJAMON
Cloud kicks ass

Quote:
Originally Posted by OcStat View Post
Well when you put it like that...it's not really up for debate. Haha. Did you watch discover cartoon first? I never got to into Transformers.
Admittedly it was the cartoons first. But I was a kid then and didn't realise there were comics. Got into them a bit later.

Old 04-23-2016, 04:34 PM   #111
OcStat
Side-Kick

Damn my grammar takes a nosedive on mobile.

I've never picked up very many comics based off other shows or cartoons. Even the MCU comic book tie-ins I've passed over because they never quite bother to keep those side stories in continuity. Not that I'm a big nitpicker on that sort of thing or anything. Though when you're young it's just fun to have a comic book you can look at on your favorite show, Nina Turtles, GI Joe, Transformers, what have you. Ninja Turtles and Power Rangers were what I was super into TV-wise as a kid. I don't recall Power Rangers having a comic back then, and I made it a point to get the main comic book of TMNT which was a little shocking with the occasional over the top violence and what not...don't recall if there was a book adapting the cartoon. I foundly remember Spider-Man Adventures adapting TAS though, first comic I got after moving cross country as a kid.

Anyway! Back on track...

Old 04-23-2016, 07:25 PM   #112
AVEITWITHJAMON
Cloud kicks ass

Quote:
Originally Posted by OcStat View Post
Damn my grammar takes a nosedive on mobile.

I've never picked up very many comics based off other shows or cartoons. Even the MCU comic book tie-ins I've passed over because they never quite bother to keep those side stories in continuity. Not that I'm a big nitpicker on that sort of thing or anything. Though when you're young it's just fun to have a comic book you can look at on your favorite show, Nina Turtles, GI Joe, Transformers, what have you. Ninja Turtles and Power Rangers were what I was super into TV-wise as a kid. I don't recall Power Rangers having a comic back then, and I made it a point to get the main comic book of TMNT which was a little shocking with the occasional over the top violence and what not...don't recall if there was a book adapting the cartoon. I foundly remember Spider-Man Adventures adapting TAS though, first comic I got after moving cross country as a kid.

Anyway! Back on track...
I watched lots as a kid, but Transformers, TMNT and X-Men and Spiderman were the ones I watched religiously. Yet TF was the only one I read comics for funnily enough. Visionaries and Bravestar were also big ones from my youth but not sure if they had comics.

Old 04-27-2016, 11:05 AM   #113
P Supreme
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by MessiahDecoy123 View Post
I don't think Transformers counts.

It was always considered a toy and TV cartoon series before anything else.
the transformers comics were pretty sweet though, as far as the movie I agree the Megatron defrosting scene is so great it really made you fear the "evil" robot

but I think Man of Steel is great don't get the hate it gets the scene where they show Zod lowering into our atmosphere was so well done that's how I picture the coverage being if we did get visited by an Alien and we catch it on camera approaching

Last edited by P Supreme; 04-27-2016 at 11:10 AM.
P Supreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 12:51 PM   #114
Tvar10
Who the hell is Bucky?

The Rocketeer
Swamp Thing
The Phantom
The Shadow

All underrated in my eyes

Last edited by Tvar10; 05-03-2016 at 12:58 PM.
Tvar10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 02:04 PM   #115
Mandon Knight
Side-Kick

For all the s**t storm surrounding it, my number one has now become Batman V Superman DoJ, personally I adore it, but I seem to be in a very tiny minority.

Mandon Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 06:11 PM   #116
DarkKnight
Side-Kick

Batman Forever
DREDD
The Punisher (Tom Jane)
Ghost Rider (hate the sequel. It really enjoyed the first one)
DareDevil (really enjoy the Directors cut!)
The Incredible Hulk (love that film)

Old 05-03-2016, 07:22 PM   #117
JtheDreamer
Slangin Grannys Peach Tea

1. TIH will always be the undeserved black sheep. It literally has the best pace of almost all phase one MCU movies and has a ton of Easter eggy goodness. It was blatantly obvious Norton cared about the character and it translates - even though Feige cut some scenes out that would have given the film a little more depth.

2. Scott Pilgrim was genius. It's just too bad the general audience doesn't know how to operate out of its comfort zone. Even though it got an 82% on RT, I still feel like everyone I know who saw it didn't like it whatsoever. It also grossed only $47 million WW, which is absurdly low for such a creative movie like this one.

Last edited by JtheDreamer; 05-03-2016 at 07:30 PM.
JtheDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 08:37 PM   #118
Kyle
Side-Kick

Batman vs Superman
The Amazing Spider-Man 2
The Dark Knight Rises
The Incredible Hulk
Hulk

(not counting Daredevil since basically it's held as one of the prime examples of director's cuts that have redeemed a film)

Kyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 08:49 PM   #119
TX85
Banned User

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles(1990)
V for Vendetta
Sin City
Thor
Man of Steel

TX85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 01:33 AM   #120
DigificWriter
Banned User

When I initially responded to this question, I deliberately picked films that hadn't been mentioned already, but now want to share some of my favorite underrated CBS that HAVE already been mentioned:
- Origins: Wolverine (adds a whole bunch of new layers to Wolverine's character, especially when watched in its correct chronological place [after First Class and before X-Men 1] within the overall framework of the franchise)
- X-Men: The Last Stand (provides a very satisfactory end to the original X-Trilogy and a great 'bridge' to The Wolverine)
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles [2015] (once again proves that the TMNT characters and concepts can be imagined/rendered/adapted in a myriad of different, interesting, and fun ways)
- Batman v Superman (perfectly sets up the rest of the DCEU while simultaneously and satisfactorily following up on Man of Steel)
- Thor: The Dark World (furthers the larger 'meta-narrative' of the MCU whilst simultaneously offering up a solid standalone adventure that takes full advantage of what the first Thor film established and gives us even more of what made that first film work [Thor/Jane, Loki, Asgardians being BA])

DigificWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 07:04 AM   #121
OutOfBoose
Russian Hacker

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice
Man of Steel
Dredd
Watchmen
Sin City: A Dame To Kill For

Builds your roofs of dead wood. Builds your walls of dead stone. Builds your dreams of dead thoughts. Comes crying laughing singing back to life, takes what you steal, and pulls the skins from your dead bones shrieking.
--Clay tablet in an abandoned Trickster temple
OutOfBoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 02:13 PM   #122
k.s.k

For me it's

Batman returns
Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice
Watchmen
Man of Steel
The Amazing Spider-Man

k.s.k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 02:18 PM   #123
AVEITWITHJAMON
Cloud kicks ass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandon Knight View Post
For all the s**t storm surrounding it, my number one has now become Batman V Superman DoJ, personally I adore it, but I seem to be in a very tiny minority.
It's not my number 1 but I do think it's very under rated.

Old 05-04-2016, 02:44 PM   #124
Spider-Aziz
Death Match Taunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigificWriter View Post
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles [2015]
2014, actually.

YOUTUBE
It will come, be sure of that

The internet: You formed your personal opinion and liked something popular? You are part of the herd. You like something new and unpopular? Cult of the new.
Spider-Aziz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 03:08 PM   #125
OcStat
Side-Kick

I haven't seen the last Ninja Turtles movie but I heard it was better than one would expect, I gotta make the time to check it out. It would be interesting to watch Origins again with the rest of the X-Men franchise in chronological order, I haven't seen it since it was in theaters.