The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Misc. Comics Films

View Poll Results: Which one is your favorite?
Lego Batman 0 0%
Logan 59 38.82%
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 11 7.24%
Wonder Woman 12 7.89%
Spider-Man: Homecoming 15 9.87%
Thor: Ragnarok 52 34.21%
Justice League 3 1.97%
Voters: 152. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-17-2017, 04:58 PM   #51
Ivan Drago
Do Not Want

Default Re: Best CBM of 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
DACrowe's just mad that Logan or Wonder Woman isn't winning the poll.
Time will not be kind to wonder woman imo.

Ivan Drago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 05:01 PM   #52
Visualiza
Jimmy Scrambles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan Drago View Post
I didn't care for it myself but I'm not sure I agree. It really seems to have a struck a chord with people, and the longevity it had at the box office can't be considered a fluke. Again, I thought it was largely nothing special...but that's just me.

JL is the movie time won't be kind to, especially with Snyder on his way out.

Visualiza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 05:01 PM   #53
Blackman
C'mon Son

Quote:
Or Ragnarok

Blackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 05:02 PM   #54
Tony Stark
Armored Avenger!

Wonder Woman was a hit because of two factors, the first being that it was the first major female Superhero movie to come out, the second being that it was faithful to the character and had two lead actors that played very well off of each other. It was not a hit because of the script, or because of the supporting cast, or because it had great villains.

It's very rare for CBM's to have a large percentage of women in the audience, but in WW's case women went to see it because they loved seeing a strong female lead character, men went to see it because Gal Gadot is hot.

Old 11-17-2017, 05:04 PM   #55
The Batman
The Dark Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackman View Post
Or Ragnarok
Or Logan

....I'm sorry, I just wanted to keep the train of absurd statements going.

Old 11-17-2017, 05:05 PM   #56
Blackman
C'mon Son

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
Wonder Woman was a hit because of two factors, the first being that it was the first major female Superhero movie to come out, the second being that it was faithful to the character and had two lead actors that played very well off of each other. It was not a hit because of the script, or because of the supporting cast, or because it had great villains.

It's very rare for CBM's to have a large percentage of women in the audience, but in WW's case women went to see it because they loved seeing a strong female lead character, men went to see it because Gal Gadot is hot.
Nah I don't think men went to go see it cuz Gal Gadot is hot. Some did but that's not why most men went to it

Old 11-17-2017, 05:05 PM   #57
Blackman
C'mon Son

Quote:
Or Logan

....I'm sorry, I just wanted to keep the train of absurd statements going. t
If you wanted to fight you could've just said so

Old 11-17-2017, 05:09 PM   #58
The Batman
The Dark Knight

Quote:
If you wanted to fight you could've just said so
Lol, In all seriousness, though, regardless of what'll stand the test of time or not, I do think WW will be far better remembered than any other CBM this year, just for the multiple novelty factors alone.

Old 11-17-2017, 05:10 PM   #59
Blackman
C'mon Son

Quote:
Lol, In all seriousness, though, regardless of what'll stand the test of time or not, I do think WW will be far better remembered than any other CBM this year, just for the multiple novelty factors alone.
Agreed

Old 11-17-2017, 05:10 PM   #60
Ivan Drago
Do Not Want

Wonder Woman is literally the only average female led superhero film. All the other female cbm's in the past were garbage. I wonder how WW would have been received if there were 10+ good female superhero films to choose from.

Old 11-17-2017, 05:13 PM   #61
inomilan
Side-Kick

1. Thor: Ragnarok
2. Wonder Woman
3. Logan
4. Spider-man: Homecoming
5. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2

It was really hard to choose between WW and Logan for me, loved both equally but I love Gal Gadot so there we go. Didn't watch Lego Batman

Oh right. . .

N. Justice League

inomilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 05:15 PM   #62
Kevin Roegele
Do you mind if I don't?

My vote goes to Logan - probably one of the best CBMs ever.

Old 11-17-2017, 05:18 PM   #63
Ivan Drago
Do Not Want

Quote:
Or Logan

....I'm sorry, I just wanted to keep the train of absurd statements going.
Out of the cbm's this year, Logan accomplishes what it sets out to do the best.

Old 11-17-2017, 05:20 PM   #64
Blackman
C'mon Son

Quote:
And it's just freaking well made
Action was great, the drama was good, the performances were excellent, the cinematography was great, the humor beats worked. And it actually had emotion behind it

The only thing I can see that any other SH movies did better was that they were more "fun"

Old 11-17-2017, 05:23 PM   #65
The Batman
The Dark Knight

Quote:
I won't disagree with you....still like Ragnarok more, though.

Old 11-17-2017, 05:54 PM   #66
kedrell
Fork&SpoonOperator

1. Spider-man: Homecoming...hands down(and I am NOT a Spider-man fan)
2. & 3. A toss up between Thor Ragnarok and Guardians Vol. 2(which I liked waaay more than the first movie).
4. Logan(Wolverine finally gets a movie that doesn't suck? Say it ain't so Jackman! You're streak is broken.)
5. Wonder Woman(DCEU finally makes a movie that doesn't suck as well yet like Sam Raimi's original Spider-man, I find little to enjoy here. Barely passed muster but that's a masterpiece by DCEU standards).

I doubt I'll end up watching JL.

Last edited by kedrell; 11-18-2017 at 02:13 PM.
kedrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 06:00 PM   #67
AVEITWITHJAMON
Cloud kicks ass

Quote:
And it's just freaking well made
Action was great, the drama was good, the performances were excellent, the cinematography was great, the humor beats worked. And it actually had emotion behind it

The only thing I can see that any other SH movies did better was that they were more "fun"

1)Avengers: Infinity War-9.5(2)A Quiet Place-9(3)Black Panther-9(4)Deadpool 2-9(5)The Shape of Water-8.5(6)Ready Player One-8(7)Solo: A Star Wars Story-8(8)Jurassic World- Fallen Kingdom-7.5(9)Tomb Raider-7(10)Pacific Rim Uprising-7
AVEITWITHJAMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 06:14 PM   #68
DACrowe
Side-Kick

Quote:
DACrowe's just mad that Logan or Wonder Woman isn't winning the poll.
Heh, I actually don't really care. I am mostly just comparing the MCU films, and how each of them is "the best ever" and then lose half their love about six months later.

--John Adams
DACrowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 06:16 PM   #69
DACrowe
Side-Kick

Quote:
Maybe on internet boards. But for all the young women who grew up with it and general audiences who felt something watching it, it will loom as large as Spider-Man 2002 still does, even if we want to pick at a rushed third act and a lousy villain costume there. Or Superman: The Movie, even if we want to pick at a disappointing third act and lousy villains... wait a minute.

--John Adams

Last edited by DACrowe; 11-17-2017 at 06:20 PM.
Old 11-17-2017, 10:19 PM   #70
m2k
Side-Kick

1. SM:HC
2. Thor R.
3. Logan
4. GOTG2
5. WW
6. Lego Batman
7. JL - skipping it.

m2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 11:31 PM   #71
Mr. Fantastic
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DACrowe View Post
Heh, I actually don't really care. I am mostly just comparing the MCU films, and how each of them is "the best ever" and then lose half their love about six months later.
Quote:
Maybe on internet boards. But for all the young women who grew up with it and general audiences who felt something watching it, it will loom as large as Spider-Man 2002 still does, even if we want to pick at a rushed third act and a lousy villain costume there. Or Superman: The Movie, even if we want to pick at a disappointing third act and lousy villains... wait a minute.
Contradiction much?

You're stretching quite a bit saying WW will only decline on internet boards whereas the MCU apparently declines in places beyond internet boards? What is your proof or reasoning behind this?

Furthermore, why does the opinion of all young women who grew up watching WW and general audiences who felt something watching WW mean/matter more than young kids growing up with the MCU or general audiences feeling something for the MCU?

What you're saying is not only a blatant contradiction, it just doesn't make sense given that the MCU is a hugely popular and sustaining entity that is 17 movies in and not slowing down.

Apologies if I'm being harsh but this contradiction was just You're extrapolating your personal love for WW and disdain for the MCU onto the entire GA without any basis or logical reasoning.

Mr. Fantastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 12:27 AM   #72
ludovica
Daddy Feige notice me!

1. GotG Vol2
2. Ragnarok
3. Homecoming
4. Logan
5. Lego Batman
8. Wonder Woman
9. Justice League

Black Widow, Wasp, Wanda, Valkyrie, Captain Marvel, Monica Rambeau & Black Panther for Avengers 5!

DCEU is dead, long live DCFU
DCFU optimist: Shazam!

WAKANDA FOREVAAA!!!
ludovica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 01:13 AM   #73
Tony Stark
Armored Avenger!

I left JL off my previous list because when I posted it, I hadn't seen the film yet. After having seen it, I'm still leaving it off. This is a "best of" thread and the word "best" should not be associated with Justice League.

Old 11-18-2017, 01:29 AM   #74
DACrowe
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Fantastic View Post
Contradiction much?

You're stretching quite a bit saying WW will only decline on internet boards whereas the MCU apparently declines in places beyond internet boards? What is your proof or reasoning behind this?

Furthermore, why does the opinion of all young women who grew up watching WW and general audiences who felt something watching WW mean/matter more than young kids growing up with the MCU or general audiences feeling something for the MCU?

What you're saying is not only a blatant contradiction, it just doesn't make sense given that the MCU is a hugely popular and sustaining entity that is 17 movies in and not slowing down.

Apologies if I'm being harsh but this contradiction was just You're extrapolating your personal love for WW and disdain for the MCU onto the entire GA without any basis or logical reasoning.
Not really sure what you mean, as these were two different conversations. I was talking about how MCU films are received by the fan community (each one is the best ever until the next one comes out), and in the other I was talking about the overall cultural legacy of Wonder Woman as a film. One is a giant franchise with plenty of classics I'd happily point to (Iron Man, The Avengers, Guardians). But no, I don't think everyone of them is a gem that will stand the test of time. Besides fan reactions are very different from how a movie's overall legacy is remembered, and I try not to conflate the two.

Regarding Wonder Woman, I was saying its popularity and enduring quality is going nowhere. If you want some evidence, anecdotal, though it may be:

--John Adams

Last edited by DACrowe; 11-18-2017 at 01:33 AM.
Old 11-18-2017, 02:07 AM   #75
Mr. Fantastic
Banned User

Quote:
Not really sure what you mean, as these were two different conversations. I was talking about how MCU films are received by the fan community (each one is the best ever until the next one comes out), and in the other I was talking about the overall cultural legacy of Wonder Woman as a film. One is a giant franchise with plenty of classics I'd happily point to (Iron Man, The Avengers, Guardians). But no, I don't think everyone of them is a gem that will stand the test of time. Besides fan reactions are very different from how a movie's overall legacy is remembered, and I try not to conflate the two.

Regarding Wonder Woman, I was saying its popularity and enduring quality is going nowhere. If you want some evidence, anecdotal, though it may be:
Ah, my bad. Reading your posts back to back I was under a different impression. Concerning WW, the cultural impact the movie has had is indeed impressive. I've seen its reception being compared to that of a Disney Princess movie, and I see a lot of similarities to Frozen from a few years back. I think it's wonderful that children and adults alike have a female superhero icon for the modern era, however I think it's a mistake to compare the reception of WW to that of your usual CBMs. I don't have any stats on hand, but I highly suspect that the target audience, and the driving force behind WW's box office take, is likely the same as the one that made Frozen a smash hit.

As far as I'm concerned, the cultural legacy of a movie doesn't affect how I view the movie itself, and when doing that I see a very mediocre film. Some good spots, yes, but nevertheless a weak and unoriginal movie with a third act I can't imagine sitting through again.

You are right that it will not age well at all on internet boards, because it's obvious even now. Not too different from MCU movies being called the best thing ever and being forgotten 6 months later as you said

Mr. Fantastic is offline   Reply With Quote