The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Misc. Comics Films

View Poll Results: What Superhero Team Up Movie Was Better?
The Avengers (2012) 130 92.20%
Justice League (2017) 11 7.80%
Voters: 141. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-21-2017, 03:42 AM   #101
m1ll3r
Failed experiment

Default Re: The Avengers (2012) vs Justice League (2017)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfBoose View Post
Watched bootleg of JL and this is all I have to say:

Felt a bit seasick for a while. Wish he’d kept the camera still

Old 11-21-2017, 04:54 AM   #102
ludovica
Daddy Feige notice me!

I feel like it should became a rule to have that gif posted at least two times per page in every JL rating or box office thread...
Everything less is not descriptive enough of the situation.

Black Widow, Wasp, Wanda, Valkyrie, Captain Marvel, Monica Rambeau & Black Panther for Avengers 5!

DCEU is dead, long live DCFU
DCFU optimist: Shazam!
ludovica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 07:54 AM   #103
Iron_Stark
That's a one-off

Was this thread really necessary? Not going to vote for the sheer idiocy.

Old 11-21-2017, 08:13 AM   #104
mclay18
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacit Ronin View Post
Those two shots perfectly encapsulate the awful cinematography of both camps.
Justice League's cinematography was beautiful, while The Avengers was flat and workmanlike most of the time.

We can argue which movie is better, but lensing-wise, JL beats Avengers by a country mile.

Old 11-21-2017, 08:45 AM   #105
ludovica
Daddy Feige notice me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclay18 View Post
Justice League's cinematography was beautiful, while The Avengers was flat and workmanlike most of the time.

We can argue which movie is better, but lensing-wise, JL beats Avengers by a country mile.
Meh. Theme has a place also in cinematography, JL is moronic in that department, Avengers is just flat.

Black Widow, Wasp, Wanda, Valkyrie, Captain Marvel, Monica Rambeau & Black Panther for Avengers 5!

DCEU is dead, long live DCFU
DCFU optimist: Shazam!
ludovica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 09:22 AM   #106
Johnny-Oh
"You got heart, kid"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclay18 View Post

Not with its embarrassing green screen compositing and awful color grading. The Avengers doesn't have great cinematography but it still looks alright, JL looks like a big mess.

Johnny-Oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 11:07 AM   #107
Kane52630
Crescendolls User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron_Stark View Post
Was this thread really necessary? Not going to vote for the sheer idiocy.
Was your post really necessary?

Old 11-21-2017, 12:45 PM   #108
Tony Stark
Armored Avenger!

Sorry but cinematography in JL was not beautiful. I can't believe anyone would say that. All they did is go into Avid and put in a bunch of color filters. The whole ending battle was supposed to look more like BvS did until they color graded it for fire and it looked like crap.

The battle on Themyscira looked like total CGI vomit.

Old 11-21-2017, 12:54 PM   #109
m1ll3r
Failed experiment

Neither Avengers nor Justice League have particularly good cinematography.

Old 11-21-2017, 01:06 PM   #110
Tony Stark
Armored Avenger!

Just bought a 4K TV and watched Avengers again for the first time in a while. There are two main areas that Avengers nailed that Justice League completely failed:

1) Balancing a ton of characters. I'm not just talking the Avenger's themselves, or even the villains I'm talking about side characters that play a huge role:

Dr. Eric Selvig > Dr. Silas Stone
Pepper Potts > Lois Lane
Nick Fury > Commissioner Gordon
Coulson > Alfred

It's quite a feat that the avenger's script is so agile with the characters, giving everyone a purpose and a chance to shine even if their screen time is limited, where Justice League trips over itself to have characters there just because, aka Commissioner Gordon, who serves no purpose in the script.

Focusing on what's important.

Throughout Avengers it's clear that Whedon's script was meant to draw out the lead two Avengers Tony and Steve. The whole script revolves around specifically those two working together, because that's what brings the Avengers together. JL flounders around Bruce and Diana working together until Bruce is like "hey let's resurrect Superman!" Then when trying to resolve the issues between Bruce and Clark, it just seems cheap.

To me when comparing these movies it's kind of pointless to talk about which one is better, and I never expected Justice League to be a "better" movie. The question to ask is why one worked and one failed.

Justice League should have been the "Star Trek" to Avenger's "Star Wars", two franchises much beloved, but obviously Star Wars is on a whole other level, but there have been some fantastic and successful Star Trek films.

Old 11-21-2017, 06:09 PM   #111
m2k
Side-Kick

C. Gordon, Mera, Dafoe's character, Flash and cyborg 's dads, maybe a few others I'm missing, had bare minimal to zero characterizations in this movie. They basically just showed up...
Stan Lee's cameos have more impact and definition than this.

m2k is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 06:13 PM   #112
Iceman
Infinity War!

That circular pan of the Avengers was the moment!

Old 11-21-2017, 06:20 PM   #113
Mandon Knight
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
That circular pan of the Avengers was the moment!
None of the trailers or advertising had got me interested whatsover upto seeing that circular pan shot and it was like....'okay, I might give this a go', it was a awesome team up shot.

Mandon Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 09:56 PM   #114
JtheDreamer
Slangin Grannys Peach Tea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
Just bought a 4K TV and watched Avengers again for the first time in a while. There are two main areas that Avengers nailed that Justice League completely failed:

1) Balancing a ton of characters. I'm not just talking the Avenger's themselves, or even the villains I'm talking about side characters that play a huge role:

Dr. Eric Selvig > Dr. Silas Stone
Pepper Potts > Lois Lane
Nick Fury > Commissioner Gordon
Coulson > Alfred

It's quite a feat that the avenger's script is so agile with the characters, giving everyone a purpose and a chance to shine even if their screen time is limited, where Justice League trips over itself to have characters there just because, aka Commissioner Gordon, who serves no purpose in the script.

Focusing on what's important.

Throughout Avengers it's clear that Whedon's script was meant to draw out the lead two Avengers Tony and Steve. The whole script revolves around specifically those two working together, because that's what brings the Avengers together. JL flounders around Bruce and Diana working together until Bruce is like "hey let's resurrect Superman!" Then when trying to resolve the issues between Bruce and Clark, it just seems cheap.

To me when comparing these movies it's kind of pointless to talk about which one is better, and I never expected Justice League to be a "better" movie. The question to ask is why one worked and one failed.

Justice League should have been the "Star Trek" to Avenger's "Star Wars", two franchises much beloved, but obviously Star Wars is on a whole other level, but there have been some fantastic and successful Star Trek films.
A1 is master class if effectively weaving together characters and plot lines that essential have no business being together. It was a joy to watch - like a composer leading a near perfect symphony. It made up for any of the struggle with the cinematography.

Last edited by JtheDreamer; 11-22-2017 at 12:50 AM.
JtheDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 04:45 AM   #115
Filmfan93
The Man in Black

This thread.... for real?

Old 11-22-2017, 04:46 AM   #116
OutOfBoose
Russian Hacker

It's the reality.

Builds your roofs of dead wood. Builds your walls of dead stone. Builds your dreams of dead thoughts. Comes crying laughing singing back to life, takes what you steal, and pulls the skins from your dead bones shrieking.
--Clay tablet in an abandoned Trickster temple
OutOfBoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 06:11 AM   #117
xeno000
Raining hell from above

Replace "capekino" with "Cinematography!" and it will be perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuron View Post
Just saw this:

xeno000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 07:33 AM   #118
m1ll3r
Failed experiment

Although, there is one very important thing to say at this juncture:

A Justice League movie not made in the way this one was, not based on such a weak and horrible cinematic universe, with better characterisations, a comprehensible plot, and made by people with a genuine love of the source material...

...blows The Avengers out of the water every day of the week and twice on Sundays.

As I say, the MCU needs to count its blessings that WB and Snyder have screwed the DCEU so completely, otherwise it wouldn’t be in the position it is.

A Justice League movie of the quality exhibited by the Dark Knight movies? It would wipe the floor with The Avengers.

Old 11-22-2017, 07:48 AM   #119
OutOfBoose
Russian Hacker

And people actually felt that way prior to seeing BvS and to a lesser extent MoS. DC has the potential to wipe the floor with what remains of Marvel roster in hands of Disney. Batman and Superman are much larger and complex characters than the entirety of The Avengers. But it would require a great mind and a great artist to put all that together and use the potential.

Builds your roofs of dead wood. Builds your walls of dead stone. Builds your dreams of dead thoughts. Comes crying laughing singing back to life, takes what you steal, and pulls the skins from your dead bones shrieking.
Old 11-22-2017, 08:15 AM   #120
TalismanRing
Cyclone Cookie Tosser

Nah.

Batman and Superman (characters I love in various mediums) aren't inherently more complex or interesting as characters than Tony Stark or Steve Rogers - even in their best films which aren't part of the DCEU.

The Flash isn't more interesting or complex than Spider-Man, Cyborg or Green Lantern aren't more interesting than Bruce Banner or Hank Pym and Diana Prince isn't more complex or interesting than the Natasha Romanoff or Wanda Maximoff.

In other mediums DC characters may be more iconic but not more complex - rather often they're less so since they tend toward the archetype.

Last edited by TalismanRing; 11-22-2017 at 08:23 AM.
TalismanRing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 08:56 AM   #121
OutOfBoose
Russian Hacker

I don't see Wanda Maximoff sparking the same amount of discussions as Wonder Woman.

Old 11-22-2017, 08:59 AM   #122
TalismanRing
Cyclone Cookie Tosser

Quote:
I don't see Wanda Maximoff sparking the same amount of discussions as Wonder Woman.
Because she's far less iconic and also not the star of the first female lead SH film in more than a decade. Certainly not because she's less complex. Quite the contrary. She's also far better acted.

TalismanRing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 09:01 AM   #123
Johnny-Oh
"You got heart, kid"

Quote:
Wanda doesn't have her own movie and Wonder Woman is playing a heroe archetype, she's not more or less complext than any other superhero.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalismanRing View Post
Because she's far less iconic and also not the star of the first female lead SH film in more than a decade. Certainly not because she's less complex. Quite the contrary. She's also far better acted.
Without a doubt

Johnny-Oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 09:29 AM   #124
OutOfBoose
Russian Hacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalismanRing View Post
Complexity in a sense of combination of a concept, character attributes or archetype, iconography and history. Batman, Superman, Spider-Man, Wonder Woman became icons not just because.

Old 11-22-2017, 09:41 AM   #125
Zarex
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1ll3r View Post
Although, there is one very important thing to say at this juncture:

A Justice League movie not made in the way this one was, not based on such a weak and horrible cinematic universe, with better characterisations, a comprehensible plot, and made by people with a genuine love of the source material...

...blows The Avengers out of the water every day of the week and twice on Sundays.

As I say, the MCU needs to count its blessings that WB and Snyder have screwed the DCEU so completely, otherwise it wouldn’t be in the position it is.

A Justice League movie of the quality exhibited by the Dark Knight movies? It would wipe the floor with The Avengers.
Now that's a hot take! Completely inaccurate, but a hot take none the less!

Here's another one - the Avengers film is a GD miracle, an extraordinary cinematic achievement that Whedon had a far higher degree of difficulty in pulling off than Nolan's grounded, dour Batman sequel. The movie pulls together the different plot threads from the prior films expertly and provides gobs of fan service while putting together a wildly entertaining film that changed the movie industry. A DC Justice League was NEVER going to match the Avengers, let alone "wipe the floor' with it. Even the Nolan directed super grounded and mature version that exists in your mind.

Zarex is offline   Reply With Quote