The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Misc. Comics Films

Old 12-31-2017, 12:24 AM   #51
kguillou
Side-Kick

Default Re: Superhero Cinematic Civil War - - - Part 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by honestbharani View Post
Interesting. Until Thor 3 happened, I had it as the best. But I flip flop around this and Logan on which is better. To me its the fact that they went low scale with this story even though they could potentially do a $1B movie with a bit more Stark and a bigger villain is such a good call. It shows they have their long term plans worked out well. And yeah, I feel its the best Spidey movie ever, at least live action.
IMO, I think Holland is most definitely the best Spider-man ever, he nails Peter and Spider-man whereas both Tobey and Garfield struggled with certain aspects (especially Garfield), but imo, I think Sam Raimi still nailed the core and feel of Spider-man's world like neither Webb or Watts has done. Sure, some aspects are dated now but man, Spider-man 1 and 2 are the comic books brought to life in a lovingly earnest way. That same earnestness is what I felt was sorely missing out of Homecoming.

I think what sums it up perfectly for me is Spider-man 1 and 2 both ended with beautifully filmed, triumphant sequences of Spider-man swinging through Manhattan to an epic Danny Elfman score, Homecoming literally ended with a "What the F***?!" Now, its funny, don't get me wrong, but, I was also kind of like "seriously? that's how they end it? With a joke?"

1) JUSTICE LEAGUE 2) John Wick 2 9/10 3) Logan 8.5/10 4) BladeRunner 2049 9/10 5) Wonder Woman 8/10 6) ALIEN: Covenant 7.5/10 7) WAR Of The Planet of The Apes 8.5/10 8) Ghost in The Shell 6/10 9) Kingsman: Golden Circle 9/10 10) Atomic Blonde 7/10
kguillou is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 12:36 AM   #52
honestbharani
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by kguillou View Post
IMO, I think Holland is most definitely the best Spider-man ever, he nails Peter and Spider-man whereas both Tobey and Garfield struggled with certain aspects (especially Garfield), but imo, I think Sam Raimi still nailed the core and feel of Spider-man's world like neither Webb or Watts has done. Sure, some aspects are dated now but man, Spider-man 1 and 2 are the comic books brought to life in a lovingly earnest way. That same earnestness is what I felt was sorely missing out of Homecoming.

I think what sums it up perfectly for me is Spider-man 1 and 2 both ended with beautifully filmed, triumphant sequences of Spider-man swinging through Manhattan to an epic Danny Elfman score, Homecoming literally ended with a "What the F***?!" Now, its funny, don't get me wrong, but, I was also kind of like "seriously? that's how they end it? With a joke?"
Lol.. That is exactly what worked for me. Spidey 1 and 2 happened in a world where he was the only super hero, so those endings and plots made sense. But in a world where Thor is popular on earth, this story made the most sense. It was honestly perfect and as far as I am concerned, Watts nails what makes Spiderman "Spiderman" better than Raimi or Webb ever did. I feel Russos gave him a great headstart and he just ran with it to the finish.

Last edited by honestbharani; 12-31-2017 at 09:35 AM.
honestbharani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 02:00 AM   #53
I Am The Knight
Infinity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikamaru View Post
We don't talk about this enough, but Spider-Man is a character that emerged out of the 1960s youth independence movement. The same kids that were questioning all the authority around them were the same ones that bought Spider-Man comics.

Flash forward to 2017 and the spirit of the 60s is more-or-less gone (though there's been attempts since the last election to bring it back). Studies show the average kid today feels more powerless, more dependent on Big Business and overall more disciplined. This Peter starts out kinda the same way and as the story progresses he deviates from Tony's wisdom more and more much like how the first Spidey fans did in real life.

Peter's decision at the end to not join the Avengers is Feige's way of pointing out what it is that makes Spider-Man "the greatest superhero ever". They basically point out that the Avengers, despite being heroic, are still an Establishment institution. They care for the little guy, yes, but they still look at the little guy from an ivory tower. Spider-Man succeeds where they can't because he's more in-touch with the little guy.

I can get into more detail about this, but basically Homecoming feels like a love letter made by 60s hippies to Millennials. It feels like someone in the production crew went "Man all the older fans are saying they're tired of Spider-Man, and all the young fans talk about seeing him in the Avengers. Let's make something that reminds both those groups of what it is people loved about Spider-Man."

It's the film this generation needed, if you ask me.
I think it's simply a coming of age of story about Peter realizing he doesn't "need" the Avengers. He's his own hero and he's not "there" yet to be one of the big guys saving the world on a regular basis.

I do agree that the Avengers are the Establishment, but I don't think that Homecoming is really commenting on that (for a movie about how the Avengers are the Establishment, see Age of Ultron).

You look at the Avengers and all those guys were well established heroes with years of experience, coming together.

Spider-Man is not that in Homecoming. He realizes that he needs to work his way towards being that hero on his own, altough obviously he won't be alone.

SHH. You owe us your livelihood. / Avvy by SkullDevil! / ?
I Am The Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 03:15 AM   #54
Shikamaru
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Am The Knight View Post
I think it's simply a coming of age of story about Peter realizing he doesn't "need" the Avengers. He's his own hero and he's not "there" yet to be one of the big guys saving the world on a regular basis.

I do agree that the Avengers are the Establishment, but I don't think that Homecoming is really commenting on that (for a movie about how the Avengers are the Establishment, see Age of Ultron).

You look at the Avengers and all those guys were well established heroes with years of experience, coming together.

Spider-Man is not that in Homecoming. He realizes that he needs to work his way towards being that hero on his own, altough obviously he won't be alone.
That too, but I don't think you can tell a story like that with Spider-Man and not remember 60s Spider-Man. Especially when you're tasked with the job of bringing back Spider-Man's popularity.

Old 12-31-2017, 03:19 AM   #55
Mandon Knight
Side-Kick

Dear Forum,

I am not entirely sure which mixed or centrally MCU/Marvel forum I posted in now when it came, but having received a temp ban over the MCU, I just want to say sorry for getting embroiled in the grounds of 'chat' that got me the ban in the first place and the fact that I'll stay clear of anything MCU (I usually do, the ban came from a DC/MCU comparison piece that got way out of control) in future, they have (as proved) don't show the best of me, and don't really reflect the person I am or the 'fan' I am, my dislike would seem to envelop my overall view of the MCU and I should have taken that on board before engaging back across the board.

It seems appropriate on a day that welcomes in the 'new' and 'hopeful possibilities' to make this post so in short, sorry guys for 'invading' the MCU space to make a point (I'll just stay well away in the future, and not feel the need to engage at any level) and sorry also to mods for having to deal with what, was, a pretty petty situation that escalated quickly, partly due to me and my writing and oh too quick reply instead of 'walking away'.

So, may I wish everyone a happy new year and all the best for the year ahead.

Mandon Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 08:09 PM   #56
DA_Champion
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandon Knight View Post
Dear Forum,

I am not entirely sure which mixed or centrally MCU/Marvel forum I posted in now when it came, but having received a temp ban over the MCU, I just want to say sorry for getting embroiled in the grounds of 'chat' that got me the ban in the first place and the fact that I'll stay clear of anything MCU (I usually do, the ban came from a DC/MCU comparison piece that got way out of control) in future, they have (as proved) don't show the best of me, and don't really reflect the person I am or the 'fan' I am, my dislike would seem to envelop my overall view of the MCU and I should have taken that on board before engaging back across the board.

It seems appropriate on a day that welcomes in the 'new' and 'hopeful possibilities' to make this post so in short, sorry guys for 'invading' the MCU space to make a point (I'll just stay well away in the future, and not feel the need to engage at any level) and sorry also to mods for having to deal with what, was, a pretty petty situation that escalated quickly, partly due to me and my writing and oh too quick reply instead of 'walking away'.

I have no recollection of ever being annoyed with you as a poster.

Best wishes for 2018, Mr. Knight.

DA_Champion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 08:15 PM   #57
Mandon Knight
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DA_Champion View Post
I have no recollection of ever being annoyed with you as a poster.

Best wishes for 2018, Mr. Knight.
Cheers dude, and to you sir.

Old 01-03-2018, 05:14 PM   #58
Tacit Ronin
Side-Kick

Nolan defends superhero movies from Hollywood's constant doom and gloom about them destroying the industry.

Quote:
“There’s always an apocalyptic feel to what goes on in the movie business, and people forget the way it’s gone in the past,” he shrugs. “At different times, different elements have dominated. So when I first went to Hollywood it was movie stars: Bruce Willis, Tom Hanks, Tom Cruise, they were the brand. And now it’s intellectual property: Iron Man, Batman, Superman, Jurassic Park. And I have to say it’s not that different. It’s always been the case that a filmmaker who wants to work in the studio system has to find a way to work around it – to reconcile that tension between giving people what they have already expressed they want, and something they don’t yet know they want.”

Tacit Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 05:19 PM   #59
flickchick85
Loose Seal
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandon Knight View Post
Dear Forum,

I like this post. Godspeed in 2018.

"They say: sufferings are misfortunes...Once we're thrown off our habitual paths, we think all is lost; but it's only here that the new and good begins.

As long as there's life, there's happiness. There's much, much still to come."

flickchick85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 06:58 PM   #60
Flint Marko
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacit Ronin View Post
Nolan defends superhero movies from Hollywood's constant doom and gloom about them destroying the industry.
Boom. This is a wonderful quote.

Now characters such as the X-Men and the Fantastic Four can come home to the place where they belong. It’s vitally important to have the Marvel characters under one roof. And now, as great as they were before, I can’t wait to see the wonders that will unfold!
Flint Marko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 07:10 PM   #61
Timebomb
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint Marko View Post
Boom. This is a wonderful quote.
It really is a great quote.

Timebomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 08:05 PM   #62
Spider-Aziz
Death Match Taunt

Quote:
He's nice cause he directed four movies based on intellectual properties.

YOUTUBE

The internet: You formed your personal opinion and liked something popular? You are part of the herd. You like something new and unpopular? Cult of the new.
Spider-Aziz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 08:34 PM   #63
Erzengel
|-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

Praise Nolan.

Old 01-03-2018, 08:36 PM   #64
Blackman
C'mon Son

No yeah the constant doom and gloom about SH movies is annoying.

Blackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 08:45 PM   #65
DACrowe
Side-Kick

Quote:
Wonderful quote. Also shows how a savvy mind can use superhero movies to be more than superhero movies. Nolan made one of the best Hollywood films of this century where a guy wore a cape.

--John Adams
DACrowe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 08:49 PM   #66
Blackman
C'mon Son

Quote:
Originally Posted by DACrowe View Post
Wonderful quote. Also shows how a savvy mind can use superhero movies to be more than superhero movies. Nolan made one of the best Hollywood films of this century where a guy wore a cape.
Exactly

And to a much lesser extent, even Logan.

Old 01-03-2018, 08:51 PM   #67
DACrowe
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackman View Post
Exactly

And to a much lesser extent, even Logan.
Yep. I would include even before Nolan, Superman: The Movie in that line. Wonder Woman I think also was one of the most important movies of the year, even if it was not in my top 10 for 2017.

--John Adams
DACrowe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 08:52 PM   #68
Blackman
C'mon Son

Quote:
Originally Posted by DACrowe View Post
Yep. I would include even before Nolan, Superman: The Movie in that line. Wonder Woman I think also was one of the most important movies of the year, even if it was not in my top 10 for 2017.
Exactly.

Old 01-03-2018, 09:21 PM   #69
DA_Champion
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Aziz View Post
He's nice cause he directed four movies based on intellectual properties.
Is Prestige the 4th?

DA_Champion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 09:46 PM   #70
Spider-Aziz
Death Match Taunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by DA_Champion View Post
Is Prestige the 4th?
If you want it by order of release; it's his second.

YOUTUBE

The internet: You formed your personal opinion and liked something popular? You are part of the herd. You like something new and unpopular? Cult of the new.
Spider-Aziz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 10:09 PM   #71
titansupes
Side-Kick

I think we're just talking about superhero movies. But if not- does Insomnia being a remake count?

titansupes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 05:19 AM   #72
Johnny-Oh
"You got heart, kid"

Don't forget Inception is a remake of Paprika

Johnny-Oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 05:42 AM   #73
Mandon Knight
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by flickchick85 View Post
I like this post. Godspeed in 2018.
Thanks FC85, much appreciated, and to you too.

Old 01-04-2018, 10:45 AM   #74
BaelaTargaryen
Side-Kick

Warner Bros. Taps Walter Hamada to Oversee DC Films Production (EXCLUSIVE)

Quote:
As part of a shakeup of its DC film operations, Warner Bros. is promoting Walter Hamada to oversee its comic book movies, Variety has learned. Insiders say that Hamada will essentially serve as president of production in charge of the DC movies. In December, the studio decided to replace Jon Berg and Geoff Johns as the heads of the DC movies. Berg became a production partner with Roy Lee, the producer of “The Lego Movie” and “It,” who has a deal on the lot. Johns remains at DC, but is taking on more of an advisory role.

The move comes as DC is looking for more quality control of its big screen efforts — the studio captured acclaim and box office bonanza with last summer’s “Wonder Woman,” but was savaged by critics for “Suicide Squad” and “Justice League.” There is widespread frustration over DC’s failure to match the popularity of Marvel movies.

Hamada previously served as a production executive at New Line, a division of Warner Bros. There, he helped shepherd such horror hits as “It” and “The Conjuring” to cinemas. The executive enjoys a close relationship with director James Wan, who is directing “Aquaman” for DC, and is credited with helping expand “The Conjuring” universe by making a well-received sequel to the movie, as well as spinoffs with the “Annabelle” series. He will be leaving New Line to work for Warners, and will also oversee any other types of comic book movies that the studio produces outside of the DC canon.

Last summer, Warner Bros. named Courtenay Valenti, best known for her work on the Harry Potter films, as president of production at Warner Bros. She will continue in that role, as will DC Entertainment chief Diane Nelson.

Before coming to New Line, Hamada was a producer and manager with H2F Entertainment. He began his career as an assistant at TriStar and eventually became VP of production for Columbia Pictures. He also ran development for MBST Entertainment.

A spokesperson for Warner Bros. did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Old 01-04-2018, 11:59 AM   #75
Erzengel
|-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

Quote:
Walter Hamada to oversee its comic book movies
Quote:
Courtenay Valenti, best known for her work on the Harry Potter films, as president of production at Warner Bros. She will continue in that role, as will DC Entertainment chief Diane Nelson.
Just wondering if Hamada is the final word in terms of DC films.