Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Star Wars > Star Wars: The Force Awakens

Closed Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 10:31 PM   #126
Sawyer
High King

Default Re: General Star Wars Episode VII News/Speculation Thread - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthphere View Post
Jesus this scene is ridiculous. Then they both go for a force push and just hover over each others hand.
Odd, you hardly ever see that word associated with the prequels...

@HIGHzurrer

If your first TV love was Buffy, this season of The Magicians is the adult who looks like that first crush but is into your kink.
*sees someone trolling DCEU fans* *prepares to say something* *sees Snyder stans somehow being even more obnoxious than the trolls* *sighs*

*rinse and repeat*
Old 01-18-2013, 10:34 PM   #127
Darthphere
Kneel before 'Drox!

Dude, it's so diculous, it's ridiculous.

"When I was in college, I was belittling the woman who later become my wife for not knowing who Boba Fett was, and she responded by asking me if I knew who the Prime Minister of Israel was. Surprisingly? Not Mon Mothma."-BKV
Old 01-19-2013, 01:02 AM   #128
Doc Ock
The Spider-Totem Awakens

Quote:
Jesus this scene is ridiculous. Then they both go for a force push and just hover over each others hand.
Yeah, and that stupid gif had me staring at me starting at for like five minutes straight...

Old 01-19-2013, 05:33 AM   #129
regwec
Make Mine Marble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidus View Post
I agree. I love comics, and I know the films will keep rolling in, it's pretty much it's own genre. But for the most part the massive amount of sci-fi blockbusters are superhero/comic films. I think people are ready for a massive blockbuster that is takes us back to the great galaxy far far away.
I agree that we are reaching saturation point with comicbook movies. After three decent Batman films, four Spidermen, too many X-Men, and the Avengers, what is really left to see? The appeal of these films was, in essence, the novelty of seeing the characters you loved so much in a different format. There is none of that novelty left. By now, I have come to reflect that- great though some of these movies are- the genre is better matched to the more flexible structure of comicbooks and BTAS-type animation.

The basic format of StarWars is native to the medium of film. It seems like where it belongs, first and foremost.

Old 01-19-2013, 12:34 PM   #130
Tacit Ronin
Banned User

Quote:
I will say right here. Episode VII will probably make more then The Avengers 2. It's Star Wars. And a probable high quality one at that. Star Wars will always be the stronger franchise and I just will say again I disagree. However in terms of dates who knows. But if they move it to July or are thinking about it, they will move Avengers 2 to July (which there is nothing wrong with that, TDK and TDKR have shown that) That is if they want to keep with the May=Star Wars month.
Marvel will not move the Avengers 2 from their May spot. Three of the highest grossing Marvel studio films (IM, IM2, Avengers) have been released in that spot. It's their lucky week.

Old 01-19-2013, 12:42 PM   #131
Solidus
Knights of Ren

And May has always been Star Wars so it's been Star Wars' lucky month as well. My point is the bigger franchise if need be would get the spot if they so felt inclined. Because Star Wars adjusted is still the second highest grossing film (domestic).

Though I'm doubting much of a change, mainly to give them time to complete Episode VII. The point is if they feel they want to keep Star Wars in it's much more legendary May spot, they would do it.

"If you don’t care about the characters, nothing matters. No space ship, no explosion, no anything is important if you don’t feel something for the people involved."J.J. Abrams (2/5/13)

Last edited by Solidus; 01-19-2013 at 12:48 PM.
Old 01-19-2013, 12:56 PM   #132
Tacit Ronin
Banned User

Quote:
And May has always been Star Wars so it's been Star Wars' lucky month as well. My point is the bigger franchise if need be would get the spot if they so felt inclined. Because Star Wars adjusted is still the second highest grossing film (domestic).
Star Wars was a long time ago. The franchise, while still big, doesn't have that kind of drawing power anymore. I have serious doubts that Star Wars will intimidate Marvel enough to move the Avengers 2. If anything it will be Star Wars that will move.

Old 01-19-2013, 12:58 PM   #133
Solidus
Knights of Ren

Nah, disagree. In terms of franchises, yes Star Wars took a hit with the prequels, but I think the second the hype starts up, that will change, and it already has brought interest to many fans that left it to the side. Additionally comicbook film fatigue I think is going to start to set in.

"If you don’t care about the characters, nothing matters. No space ship, no explosion, no anything is important if you don’t feel something for the people involved."J.J. Abrams (2/5/13)
Old 01-19-2013, 01:07 PM   #134
Tacit Ronin
Banned User

It's because it took a hit with prequels that it will need at least one good film to build its name back up. I see no conceivable way Star Wars VII out performs the sequel to a billion and a half film.

Old 01-19-2013, 01:10 PM   #135
Solidus
Knights of Ren

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excelsior. View Post
It's because it took a hit with prequels that it will need at least one good film to build its name back up. I see no conceivable way Star Wars VII out performs the sequel to a billion and a half film.
Well I disagree, I think fatigue has set in. Now of course I'm making the assumption that this is a good Star Wars film (same if Avengers 2 is good or not), if so, I think it will out preform The Avengers 2. People are hungry for a massive blockbuster that is not comicbook related. And honestly I think if this film is good, people have been (people like myself) have still been waiting almost 30 years for an awesome Star Wars film. So if this succeeds, I think the franchise is extremely strong still, and will get people to flock to it if it is a critical smash.

Old 01-19-2013, 01:14 PM   #136
Solidus
Knights of Ren

That and this is an actual sequel to the successful and loved OT. I mean if they show shots in the trailer of Old Luke/Han shots of the Falcon ect, I think it will have the power of being a sequel to the successful trilogy, and the loved characters possibly coming back would really excite audiances.

Old 01-19-2013, 01:15 PM   #137
Darthphere
Kneel before 'Drox!

It doesn't matter when either one is released. They will both make massive amounts of money.

"When I was in college, I was belittling the woman who later become my wife for not knowing who Boba Fett was, and she responded by asking me if I knew who the Prime Minister of Israel was. Surprisingly? Not Mon Mothma."-BKV
Old 01-19-2013, 01:19 PM   #138
Solidus
Knights of Ren

Quote:
It doesn't matter when either one is released. They will both make massive amounts of money.
That goes with out saying. Disney will be rolling in gold coins like Scrooge McDuck in 2015.

Old 01-19-2013, 01:44 PM   #139
Marvolo
Side-Kick

Quote:
Well I disagree, I think fatigue has set in. Now of course I'm making the assumption that this is a good Star Wars film (same if Avengers 2 is good or not), if so, I think it will out preform The Avengers 2. People are hungry for a massive blockbuster that is not comicbook related. And honestly I think if this film is good, people have been (people like myself) have still been waiting almost 30 years for an awesome Star Wars film. So if this succeeds, I think the franchise is extremely strong still, and will get people to flock to it if it is a critical smash.
I like comic book films and am looking forward to the Marvel films, but its The Wolverine and Man of Steel that im looking forward to more. Im getting burnt out on comic book films and especially Marvel films. Iron Man the most. I love the character but come May, counting Avengers, Iron Man will have been on screen 4 times in 5 years. Thats just too damn much for me. Its over saturation. Im ready for some different blockbusters.

The Most Astounding Fact (Neil deGrasse Tyson, HD):
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Old 01-19-2013, 01:58 PM   #140
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

Seeing as it's all Disney's profits here, I don't see how they would allow their two biggest tentpoles of the year to compete for a share of the market. They pretty much have the same exact audience. Avengers probably won't move, but that doesn't mean Star Wars will either- releasing them a couple months apart might be part of their overall design for 2015. Not to mention SW could also be a winter release, like some have speculated. I don't think the traditional May release for Star Wars will factor into this for Disney, all sentimentality aside. These are both huge investments and are pretty much guaranteed to perform huge as long as they're given the space to do so.

Old 01-19-2013, 04:13 PM   #141
Tacit Ronin
Banned User

Quote:
Can you provide any tangible proof that "fatigue has set in"? Two of the three major comic book films last year grossed over a billion dollars, and the one that didn't made over 750 billion. Looking at that I don't see anything resembling fatigue.

Old 01-19-2013, 04:39 PM   #142
Solidus
Knights of Ren

750 Billion dollars? Game over no one can beat that lol.

No there is no proof right now. Just like you really don't have proof that there is any Star Wars fatigue or a weakened franchise, ROTS did make 850 million in BO and with 3D inflation like Avengers it would have easily gone over a billion, and that was after 2 films that people did not much care for. It did more than AOTC.

We are both speaking speculation. But it is a feeling and some of us around here feel it, I'm getting tired, many of my friends that I discuss film with (even those that are not big film fanatics) are getting tired of comic book films. And after many more next year...and the year after, I think by then there may be a little tiring of it, especially if a high quality Star Wars film gives you an alternative to blockbusters, people are ready for something different which is why I think Skyfall did so well too.

Looking at Star Wars BO you would not see much fatigue (in terms of relative box office numbers today). However I do think some is there, but I think the resurgence of Star Wars will be big, and very welcome alternative. The reason these comic book movies do so well is for the most part those are the massive tentpoles 90% of the time.

EDIT: And just because they are doing great now...does not mean that is a piece of evidence that proves it will continue to do that in the future. Again we are talking we have many...many comic book films in the next 3 years coming our way and that could cause fatigue.

Last edited by Solidus; 01-19-2013 at 04:43 PM.
Old 01-19-2013, 05:10 PM   #143
Tacit Ronin
Banned User

Quote:
750 Billion dollars? Game over no one can beat that lol.
My point.

You.

Quote:
No there is no proof right now. Just like you really don't have proof that there is any Star Wars fatigue or a weakened franchise, ROTS did make 850 million in BO and with 3D inflation like Avengers it would have easily gone over a billion, and that was after 2 films that people did not much care for. It did more than AOTC.
I didn't say Star Wars wouldn't be big. I simply remain unconvinced it would outperform a red hot property like the Avengers.

Quote:
EDIT: And just because they are doing great now...does not mean that is a piece of evidence that proves it will continue to do that in the future. Again we are talking we have many...many comic book films in the next 3 years coming our way and that could cause fatigue.
True. But keep in mind that people have predicted that comic book fatigue would set in every year since 2007. People sighted the relatively tepid performances of Thor and Cap to prove that comic book films are beginning to fall off, then more well known properties like Batman and Spider-man comes along and shatters that notion. The supposed fatigue doesn't seem to set in. Comic book movies continue to get bigger and bigger.

Old 01-19-2013, 05:23 PM   #144
Solidus
Knights of Ren

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excelsior. View Post
My point.

You.

I didn't say Star Wars wouldn't be big. I simply remain unconvinced it would outperform a red hot property like the Avengers.

True. But keep in mind that people have predicted that comic book fatigue would set in every year since 2007. People sighted the relatively tepid performances of Thor and Cap to prove that comic book films are beginning to fall off, then more well known properties like Batman and Spider-man comes along and shatters that notion. The supposed fatigue doesn't seem to set in. Comic book movies continue to get bigger and bigger.
I just was refering (in the first part) to the mistake of a billion whereas I figured you meant a million, for TAS.

Anywho to the topic. Yes both Avengers 2 and Ep VII will make tons of money and I'm not disagreeing on that either.

However, people have said that, but I never believed it until now. If people like myself that are massive comic fans, and love this genre so much, are starting to get tired of it, to me that could say the GA is not too far behind. I don't think the comic book films will ever truly disappear, or wane a massive amount, but I do think that there will be a drop in popularity.

It happens with most things out there, once you start to over-saturate the market it becomes boring to people (it does not always reflect the quality of the said product) and they look for other things. Star Trek in the late 80's and 90's come to mind, three TV series, 4 films, near the end people were getting tired of it. It took about a decade, but it happened. To me that is a worry with even Star Wars if they over-saturate it too much, there will be a falling point.

I still think that (of course given if the quality is great) Episode VII will be a huge comeback of Star Wars, and give many people a quality Star Wars film they have wanted for a long time. But in the end, we will have to wait and see what happens.

Last edited by Solidus; 01-19-2013 at 05:28 PM.
Old 01-19-2013, 05:29 PM   #145
Tacit Ronin
Banned User

Quote:
First...your 750 billion you were referring to 750 million by TAS.....are you trying to make it look like you were making a point with 750 billion? I was just pointing out that you meant million, not billion.
Whoops. Yea, I meant a million. I seem to make that small typo consistently.

But, yea, we all want to see a good Star Wars movie, regardless of how much less or more it makes against another Disney film. They aren't even in competition; Disney will be swimming in money in 2015.

Last edited by Tacit Ronin; 01-19-2013 at 05:32 PM.
Old 01-19-2013, 05:37 PM   #146
Solidus
Knights of Ren

No argument there. Disney is going to be a force to be reckoned with in the next decade.

Old 01-19-2013, 05:41 PM   #147
regwec
Make Mine Marble

I share a conviction that comic book fatigue is just around the corner. Most of the inbuilt audiences have been catered to by now, but it is inevitably the critics that will turn first. They are inherently fickle, and the years of bland acknowledgment of the genre cannot last forever.

Old 01-19-2013, 06:02 PM   #148
Whiskey Tango
Side-Kick

Oh, boy is it time to start talking about how cbm's are dying again already?

2007-2008 SHH Pro Football Pick 'Em Champion
Old 01-19-2013, 06:19 PM   #149
Solidus
Knights of Ren

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey Tango View Post
Oh, boy is it time to start talking about how cbm's are dying again already?
They will never "die" I just think they will wane in popularity for a while, and probably rise up again afterwards. A lot of products out there over-saturate, and they pay for it in the long-run, but usually it bounces back. I don't think that it means comic book films are going to make like 5 dollars in 2015, they will still bring in tons of money, but I think given alternatives, other fads will take over with the general audience.

And honestly, in my decade on this site, I've never brought up the death of or waning of popularity of CBM's until the past few months.

Old 01-19-2013, 06:26 PM   #150
Whiskey Tango
Side-Kick

Maybe not you specifically, but people have been erroneously making that proclamation every year since X-Men hit big. It's a yawner.

2007-2008 SHH Pro Football Pick 'Em Champion
Closed Thread