Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Star Wars > Star Wars: The Force Awakens

Closed Thread

Old 01-19-2013, 06:28 PM   #151
Solidus
Knights of Ren

Default Re: General Star Wars Episode VII News/Speculation Thread - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey Tango View Post
Maybe not you specifically, but people have been erroneously making that proclamation every year since X-Men hit big. It's a yawner.
Ya and good for them lol. That makes no difference, I never have felt that until this past year.

But honestly do you actually think that it will never wane? You think that it will just continue to grow in popularity forever? Because nothing will last forever.

"If you don’t care about the characters, nothing matters. No space ship, no explosion, no anything is important if you don’t feel something for the people involved."J.J. Abrams (2/5/13)
Old 01-19-2013, 06:36 PM   #152
dude stannis
Banned User

I don't think comics are dying, but the next few years do show a bigger shift towards straight up Sci-Fi. I don't mind, I'd rather summer blockbusters be a mix of genres than just comic books.

Old 01-19-2013, 06:43 PM   #153
Solidus
Knights of Ren

And I agree, I don't and never have said they are dying hence my use of the word waning. I could just see the popularity that is blazing right now cool down for a while, and maybe more as so as time goes on. But I agree I want a mix of big tentpole films, sci-fi, action, fantasy, comic book ect ect.

"If you don’t care about the characters, nothing matters. No space ship, no explosion, no anything is important if you don’t feel something for the people involved."J.J. Abrams (2/5/13)
Old 01-19-2013, 06:45 PM   #154
Whiskey Tango
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidus View Post
But honestly do you actually think that it will never wane? You think that it will just continue to grow in popularity forever? Because nothing will last forever.
That's what I'm saying. It's like 'predicting' the sun will eventually burn out eventually. But calling something that's inevitable is a bit silly imo.

2007-2008 SHH Pro Football Pick 'Em Champion
Old 01-19-2013, 07:01 PM   #155
Solidus
Knights of Ren

Ya but they have a pretty good idea when the sun will burn out lol of course give or take a million years. I just think that it is an interesting topic, and with a massive universe like Star Wars coming back, it may give others an alternative that they would rather see for a while.

Old 01-19-2013, 07:02 PM   #156
dude stannis
Banned User

Quote:
And I agree, I don't and never have said they are dying hence my use of the word waning. I could just see the popularity that is blazing right now cool down for a while, and maybe more as so as time goes on. But I agree I want a mix of big tentpole films, sci-fi, action, fantasy, comic book ect ect.
Yeah man. People consider 2012 a disappointment, but I was loving the variety, Avengers, John Carter, Dark Knight Rises, Prometheus and Expendables 2 where all as different from each other, but I had a great time with all of them.

Old 01-19-2013, 07:10 PM   #157
regwec
Make Mine Marble

It might be a "yawner" to you, but the antipathy towards these things is incremental and inevitable. There are a few licences with mass appeal; once they are exhausted, the critics will relish writing the obituary of the genre.

Old 01-19-2013, 10:04 PM   #158
Whiskey Tango
Side-Kick

Oh no, whatever will we do when Armond White gets tired of sooper 'ero movies? Oh wait! That already happened. Effect it had on anything? Zero. Critics are irrelevant and they're only becoming moreso as the general public begins to rely more on word of mouth from their peers rather than some brandy swilling snob writer who couldn't hack life as a failed novelist.

People want good quality movies. Deliver that, and genre doesn't matter.

2007-2008 SHH Pro Football Pick 'Em Champion
Old 01-19-2013, 11:34 PM   #159
Solidus
Knights of Ren

Quote:
Oh no, whatever will we do when Armond White gets tired of sooper 'ero movies? Oh wait! That already happened. Effect it had on anything? Zero. Critics are irrelevant and they're only becoming moreso as the general public begins to rely more on word of mouth from their peers rather than some brandy swilling snob writer who couldn't hack life as a failed novelist.

My parents are the most "non-tech" savvy people on this Earth for the past year have been using Rotten Tomatoes as a decision making tool if they want to go to a film or not. It's becoming more of a popular site then ever before.

However, I do agree that quality matters....but that is a big assumption that it will continue. After MOS I'm afraid where WB is trying to head, (getting rid of Alan Horn was a terrible idea on their behalf but it's great he's working with Disney/Lucasfilm now). But at the same time we could say quality does not matter looking at most Bay films. So I don't know if quality is always the indicator.

But I still think genre can matter to a point. I mean during most of the 70's sci-fi was dead as a door nail after being pretty popular in the 50's and 60's. Then Star Wars brought it back and then some. Then it has been hit and miss, and honestly the past decade sci-fi (excluding comic films) really have been sparse, especially big blockbuster ones. Genres despite quality can come and go in popularity.

Old 01-20-2013, 04:48 AM   #160
regwec
Make Mine Marble

Quote:

It does matter to a section of the potential audience, who will only see a comic book movie if it is a socially acceptable thing to do. It was reasonably easy to persuade people to go and see a Nolan Batmovie, because they were well regarded. Of course this does not effect the in-built audiences for these films, but I think those audiences will decline as the number of unexploited comic book properties of any merit recedes.

You may think people are stupid for being influenced by critics, and to an extent I agree, but the critics do retain a notable power to form public opinion.

Old 01-20-2013, 09:46 AM   #161
Darthphere
Kneel before 'Drox!

Quote:
Originally Posted by regwec View Post
It does matter to a section of the potential audience, who will only see a comic book movie if it is a socially acceptable thing to do. It was reasonably easy to persuade people to go and see a Nolan Batmovie, because they were well regarded. Of course this does not effect the in-built audiences for these films, but I think those audiences will decline as the number of unexploited comic book properties of any merit recedes.

You may think people are stupid for being influenced by critics, and to an extent I agree, but the critics do retain a notable power to form public opinion.
Indeed. I mean, Batman Begins didn't make nowhere near the level of cash TDK and TDKR made. Mostly because people didn't know what to think of it. Once it became the "thing" to do, everyone went to see the sequels.

"When I was in college, I was belittling the woman who later become my wife for not knowing who Boba Fett was, and she responded by asking me if I knew who the Prime Minister of Israel was. Surprisingly? Not Mon Mothma."-BKV
Old 01-20-2013, 01:48 PM   #162
ThePowerCosmic
"No."

Quote:

That's the thing, though. After The Avengers was an event, I'm betting more people will be watching the Phase 2 Marvel films than they did Phase 1, because after Avengers it's become socially acceptable. It will be the same way with MoS and JL, just watch.

Old 01-20-2013, 03:31 PM   #163
regwec
Make Mine Marble

Do you think the Avengers was socially acceptable? That will depend on your own experience, but in my circles their were some unfavourable stereotypes about the kind of adult who might go to see it.

Old 01-20-2013, 03:32 PM   #164
Darthphere
Kneel before 'Drox!

I think the popular opinion was "You haven't seen Avengers?! WHAT THE **** ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!"

"When I was in college, I was belittling the woman who later become my wife for not knowing who Boba Fett was, and she responded by asking me if I knew who the Prime Minister of Israel was. Surprisingly? Not Mon Mothma."-BKV
Old 01-20-2013, 03:35 PM   #165
regwec
Make Mine Marble

Hmm. As I say, it depends on your own experience.

Old 01-20-2013, 03:43 PM   #166
Darthphere
Kneel before 'Drox!

I mean, unless you hang out with those type of people that only watch indie and arthouse films, most people seemed to feel a need to watch Avengers. Box office numbers seem to help my argument. Now whether they enjoyed it or not is a different argument altogether.

Old 01-20-2013, 04:56 PM   #167
regwec
Make Mine Marble

Fair point. I need less pretentious friends.

Old 01-20-2013, 05:24 PM   #168
ThePowerCosmic
"No."

Quote:
Do you think the Avengers was socially acceptable? That will depend on your own experience, but in my circles their were some unfavourable stereotypes about the kind of adult who might go to see it.
Yeah, Darth's correct. Man of Steel has a similar thing going for it. People that don't even like Superman want to see the movie.

Old 01-20-2013, 05:38 PM   #169
Doctor Jones
No One

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude love View Post
Yeah man. People consider 2012 a disappointment, but I was loving the variety, Avengers, John Carter, Dark Knight Rises, Prometheus and Expendables 2 where all as different from each other, but I had a great time with all of them.
A disappointment?! 2012 had to be one of the best year for movies ever for me. I can't remember any bad films I saw in theaters. 2011, now that was the disappointing year. The only thing that could top 2012 is 2015.

Old 01-20-2013, 05:54 PM   #170
Doc Ock
The Spider-Totem Awakens

Quote:
That goes with out saying. Disney will be rolling in gold coins like Scrooge McDuck in 2015.
Disney will also make 2015 a favorite year of mine, Pirates, Star Wars, AND Avengers?! *explodes*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePowerCosmic View Post
That's the thing, though. After The Avengers was an event, I'm betting more people will be watching the Phase 2 Marvel films than they did Phase 1, because after Avengers it's become socially acceptable. It will be the same way with MoS and JL, just watch.
Yeah, I think its pretty likely more people will go see the Thor and Captain America sequels after seeing the characters in The Avengers. Iron Man never needed that(which is why I hope the non-Stark films kick serious butt!).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthphere View Post
I think the popular opinion was "You haven't seen Avengers?! WHAT THE **** ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!"
Yeah I didn't get to see the film until my b-day on June 28th and in the time frame everybody was ranting about the film and saving that I needed to see it immediately and was crazy for not watching it yet, even people I didn't know!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Jones View Post
A disappointment?! 2012 had to be one of the best year for movies ever for me. I can't remember any bad films I saw in theaters. 2011, now that was the disappointing year. The only thing that could top 2012 is 2015.
Yeah, 2015 is shaping up the be the best year of films for this whole decade.

Old 01-20-2013, 06:02 PM   #171
Tacit Ronin
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Jones View Post
2012 was the year of a lot of good and very good films, few great ones.

Old 01-20-2013, 06:25 PM   #172
ThePowerCosmic
"No."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Ock View Post
Yeah, I think its pretty likely more people will go see the Thor and Captain America sequels after seeing the characters in The Avengers. Iron Man never needed that(which is why I hope the non-Stark films kick serious butt!).
Yeah, I think the sequels will be getting some serious upgrades for Phase 2. There's certainly a heightened level of expectations for the Marvel movies after The Avengers set the bar so high. I'm sure that Marvel knows that.

Old 01-20-2013, 07:38 PM   #173
Iceman
Infinity War!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude love View Post
I don't think comics are dying, but the next few years do show a bigger shift towards straight up Sci-Fi. I don't mind, I'd rather summer blockbusters be a mix of genres than just comic books.
Yeah, I'd like to see a couple of big films from the genres of comic book, sci-fi & fantasy every year. No need to overdo any one particular genre.

Old 01-20-2013, 10:39 PM   #174
Darthphere
Kneel before 'Drox!

I think if there's any fatigue, it will be with sequels. I mean, Iron Man 3 looks awesome but Iron Man 2 wasn't that great and I honestly think at some point people will grow tired. Iron Man VI.

Old 01-20-2013, 11:37 PM   #175
Kane52630
New Cydonian User

2012 was a great year for movies, at least for me. I don't think I can name a year that was disappointing because there's at least a few that were amazing.

Closed Thread