The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > DC Comics Films

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2017, 01:23 AM   #351
A Necessary Evil
One. Bad. Day.
 
A Necessary Evil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Virginia
Posts: 9,215
Default Re: All Things DCEU News, Discussion, and Speculation - Part 1

Critics don't care if a superhero movie is dark or light. They care about if it sucks or not. Which BvS did. Hence the continual jokes about its quality.

__________________
This is my design.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacit Ronin View Post
The way SONY dominated Marc Webb was way more hardcore than anything in 50 Shades anyways.
A Necessary Evil is offline  
Old 02-17-2017, 01:24 AM   #352
DeadStroke
Side-Kick
 
DeadStroke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 4,849
Default Re: All Things DCEU News, Discussion, and Speculation - Part 1

I think Mangold's Logan is going to give me more confidence in Ayer for GCS.

I thought the Wolverine was sort of meh. However, it looks like the studio left him alone, left him create a story that was really great. I hear its AMAZING.

If Mangold can make a meh movie and then come back to make a great one.

I think Ayer can bounce back from a critically panned film to making a solid effort on the next one.

Directors can get better..

__________________
The world is changing.
There will only be the conquered and the conqueror
You're a good man,
with a good heart
But it's hard--
for a good man--
to be a king.
DeadStroke is offline  
Old 02-17-2017, 01:24 AM   #353
TeeKay
Side-Kick
 
TeeKay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 13,848
Default Re: All Things DCEU News, Discussion, and Speculation - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce_Begins View Post
Are you stating your opinion as a fact ?
What do you think?

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guard View Post
It has something resembling a head and eyes, but a face?
TeeKay is offline  
Old 02-17-2017, 01:27 AM   #354
DeadStroke
Side-Kick
 
DeadStroke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 4,849
Default Re: All Things DCEU News, Discussion, and Speculation - Part 1

Also Logan's success might mean DC would actually let Mel Gibson craft whatever story works best for him.

Cut the budget down. Just make a gritty and grounded Suicide Squad 2.

__________________
The world is changing.
There will only be the conquered and the conqueror
You're a good man,
with a good heart
But it's hard--
for a good man--
to be a king.
DeadStroke is offline  
Old 02-17-2017, 01:31 AM   #355
idiot09
Kicks side
 
idiot09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Somewhere.
Posts: 10,605
Default Re: All Things DCEU News, Discussion, and Speculation - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeKay View Post
Because it was a bad movie and Logan highlights where BvS went wrong? Its really that simple. The reason why BvS is still in discussion because these are iconic characters who was sharing the screen for the first time and it went horrible wrong. Its no different when CW was being compared to BvS.
Yeah that's why we have seen them being brought up in reviews for "Angry Birds". Or even Lego Batman as if those two movies were attempting to do the same thing. Makes total sense.

Anyway I've said what I wanted to say. It's clear for anyone to see that these people just can't let it go and have to bring it up every damn chance they get. It's cheap and unprofessional.

Anyway...It is what it is. I have no desire to argue about this.

__________________
"He fascinates and amazes and staggers me. Zack Snyder, ultimate f---ing legend. Forever”- Ezra Miller, 2017
idiot09 is offline  
Old 02-17-2017, 01:32 AM   #356
Ivan Drago
Do Not Want
 
Ivan Drago's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Russia
Posts: 2,235
Default Re: All Things DCEU News, Discussion, and Speculation - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadStroke View Post
I think Mangold's Logan is going to give me more confidence in Ayer for GCS.

I thought the Wolverine was sort of meh. However, it looks like the studio left him alone, left him create a story that was really great. I hear its AMAZING.

If Mangold can make a meh movie and then come back to make a great one.

I think Ayer can bounce back from a critically panned film to making a solid effort on the next one.

Directors can get better..
The Wolverine was miles better than Suicide Squad. Not even remotely the same thing.

The wolverine just had a weak third act which somewhat hindered the good stuff that came before.

__________________
I cannot be defeated. I defeat all man. Soon, I defeat real champion.

2017 superhero movie ratings

1. Logan: 9.5/10
2. Guardians of the Galaxy 2: 6.5/10
3. Wonder Woman: 6.5/10
4. Spider-Man Homecoming: 8.5/10
Ivan Drago is offline  
Old 02-17-2017, 01:40 AM   #357
DeadStroke
Side-Kick
 
DeadStroke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 4,849
Default Re: All Things DCEU News, Discussion, and Speculation - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan Drago View Post
The Wolverine was miles better than Suicide Squad. Not even remotely the same thing.

The wolverine just had a weak third act which somewhat hindered the good stuff that came before.
Your opinion pal.

For ME They both were just average summer flicks. My liking of Suicide Squad is cause I just really dug the actors/characters.

My point still stands.

If Mangold can make whats considered an average/decent movie and follow up with a truly great movie.

I think Ayer can bounce back from what's considered a terrible movie and then make a solid one critically/decent.


I believe people can learn from their mistakes and improve somewhat.
*shrugs*

__________________
The world is changing.
There will only be the conquered and the conqueror
You're a good man,
with a good heart
But it's hard--
for a good man--
to be a king.
DeadStroke is offline  
Old 02-17-2017, 01:49 AM   #358
A Necessary Evil
One. Bad. Day.
 
A Necessary Evil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Virginia
Posts: 9,215
Default Re: All Things DCEU News, Discussion, and Speculation - Part 1

I always love it when someone says something, and the best response is "Hey...that's your opinion."

__________________
This is my design.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacit Ronin View Post
The way SONY dominated Marc Webb was way more hardcore than anything in 50 Shades anyways.
A Necessary Evil is offline  
Old 02-17-2017, 01:49 AM   #359
OutOfBoose
Russian Hacker
 
OutOfBoose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 11,620
Default Re: All Things DCEU News, Discussion, and Speculation - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by misslane38 View Post
I know you're being facetious, but no one has made any sort of argument like this, so I'm not sure what sort of commentary you are aiming at. Anyway, for the sake of argument, Lois says the line about tinkling in order to suggest to the guys that she's not one for roughing it. She puts on the appearance of weakness to ensure that the guys won't suspect that she'd go on any after hours adventures. Finch, on the other hand, references "Granny's Peach Tea" to assert her power. She's saying she can't be fooled. The actual appearance of the "tea" is what reveals her weakness. So there is some sort of throughline related to power, but it isn't consistent or clear enough to be a genuine theme. There are also too many other empowered women in the DCCU that aren't associated with urine for the theme to, um, hold any water.
Facetious? I don't think the presence of urine in two out three films deserves such an in-depth analysis. Search of deeper meaning or attempts to rationalize the mess of DCEU went overboard long time ago. And that's the point of the joke.

__________________
"Superman was never real, no one stays good in this world, and THE SUN NO LONGER RISES!!!"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkX1DVvu5Ys
OutOfBoose is offline  
Old 02-17-2017, 01:54 AM   #360
harlequinade
Little Mermaid
 
harlequinade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Atlantis, evidently
Posts: 4,995
Default Re: All Things DCEU News, Discussion, and Speculation - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by idiot09 View Post
Yeah that's why we have seen them being brought up in reviews for "Angry Birds". Or even Lego Batman as if those two movies were attempting to do the same thing. Makes total sense.

Anyway I've said what I wanted to say. It's clear for anyone to see that these people just can't let it go and have to bring it up every damn chance they get. It's cheap and unprofessional.

Anyway...It is what it is. I have no desire to argue about this.
Just because these people don't like the movie you like doesn't make it cheap and unprofessional. There's no difference in bringing up a movie you like or a movie you don't like in a review when making a comparison. It's not "sad" at all.

harlequinade is offline  
Old 02-17-2017, 01:57 AM   #361
idiot09
Kicks side
 
idiot09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Somewhere.
Posts: 10,605
Default Re: All Things DCEU News, Discussion, and Speculation - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by harlequinade View Post
Just because these people don't like the movie you like doesn't make it cheap and unprofessional.
Yeah that's the context here

The CEO of RT saying everyone who made BvS should punch themselves because of Lego Batman.Such professionalism.

Oh yeah, and next time please don't create strawman arguments when responding to me.I won't reply back.

__________________
"He fascinates and amazes and staggers me. Zack Snyder, ultimate f---ing legend. Forever”- Ezra Miller, 2017

Last edited by idiot09; 02-17-2017 at 02:01 AM.
idiot09 is offline  
Old 02-17-2017, 02:00 AM   #362
harlequinade
Little Mermaid
 
harlequinade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Atlantis, evidently
Posts: 4,995
Default Re: All Things DCEU News, Discussion, and Speculation - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by idiot09 View Post
Yeah that's the context here
Then what was the context? It seems you cannot handle anyone mentioning they don't like BvS

harlequinade is offline  
Old 02-17-2017, 02:02 AM   #363
idiot09
Kicks side
 
idiot09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Somewhere.
Posts: 10,605
Default Re: All Things DCEU News, Discussion, and Speculation - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by harlequinade View Post
Then what was the context? It seems you cannot handle anyone mentioning they don't like BvS
Check my edit.

__________________
"He fascinates and amazes and staggers me. Zack Snyder, ultimate f---ing legend. Forever”- Ezra Miller, 2017
idiot09 is offline  
Old 02-17-2017, 02:04 AM   #364
harlequinade
Little Mermaid
 
harlequinade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Atlantis, evidently
Posts: 4,995
Default Re: All Things DCEU News, Discussion, and Speculation - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by idiot09 View Post
Check my edit.
Quote:
Oh yeah, and next time please don't create strawman arguments when responding to me.I won't reply back.
Devastated.

harlequinade is offline  
Old 02-17-2017, 02:08 AM   #365
idiot09
Kicks side
 
idiot09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Somewhere.
Posts: 10,605
Default Re: All Things DCEU News, Discussion, and Speculation - Part 1

Good to know

idiot09 is offline  
Old 02-17-2017, 02:27 AM   #366
2kt09
Here 'N' There
 
2kt09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: NY, NY
Posts: 6,784
Default Re: All Things DCEU News, Discussion, and Speculation - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeKay View Post
Because it was a bad movie and Logan highlights where BvS went wrong? Its really that simple. The reason why BvS is still in discussion because these are iconic characters who was sharing the screen for the first time and it went horrible wrong. Its no different when CW was being compared to BvS.
"tone" What a joke!
The more people focus on that, the less the DCEU filmmakers actually learn/care to fix what's worth fixing.

CW is compared to BvS because it doesn't take a geek to realize they share enough similarities.
The Russos acknowledged Civil War wasn't on the table until BvS was announced.

__________________
Make Marvel Animation Great Again
Cook and Weisman's The Spectacular Spider-Man is to cbtv what Singer's X-Men were to cbm's
MCU_________DCU___________X-MU
Whedon-----Guggenheim_____Kinberg
Gunn________Goyer
Reed________Snyder
2kt09 is offline  
Old 02-17-2017, 02:39 AM   #367
OutOfBoose
Russian Hacker
 
OutOfBoose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 11,620
Default Re: All Things DCEU News, Discussion, and Speculation - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadStroke View Post
True. As long as everyone continues convincing us nothing makes sense in the movie its all good.
That's not what I was saying. I'm not gonna try to convince anyone because I see the point of people, who hate these things. People have every reason to hate Eisenberg's performance as Luthor. Just like they have every right to find urine taunts inappropriate for films featuring Superman and even Batman. Despite me liking all this crap.

__________________
"Superman was never real, no one stays good in this world, and THE SUN NO LONGER RISES!!!"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkX1DVvu5Ys
OutOfBoose is offline  
Old 02-17-2017, 03:05 AM   #368
Micromind
Side-Kick
 
Micromind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: In Shadows
Posts: 13,698
Default Re: All Things DCEU News, Discussion, and Speculation - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by harlequinade View Post
Just because these people don't like the movie you like doesn't make it cheap and unprofessional. There's no difference in bringing up a movie you like or a movie you don't like in a review when making a comparison. It's not "sad" at all.

Reviews are not the place to compare old movies to new movie which is being reviewed, reviews should be about evaluating the movie based on it's own merits (or demerits) without referring to other movies.

__________________

Micromind is offline  
Old 02-17-2017, 03:07 AM   #369
The Joker
The Clown Prince of Crime
 
The Joker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Arkham Asylum
Posts: 48,501
Default Re: All Things DCEU News, Discussion, and Speculation - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Necessary Evil View Post
Critics don't care if a superhero movie is dark or light. They care about if it sucks or not. Which BvS did. Hence the continual jokes about its quality.
Exactly.

__________________
"Sometimes I remember it one way. Sometimes another. If I'm going to have a past, I prefer it to be multiple choice!"

- The Joker
The Joker is offline  
Old 02-17-2017, 03:11 AM   #370
The Joker
The Clown Prince of Crime
 
The Joker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Arkham Asylum
Posts: 48,501
Default Re: All Things DCEU News, Discussion, and Speculation - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce_Begins View Post
Reviews are not the place to compare old movies to new movie which is being reviewed, reviews should be about evaluating the movie based on it's own merits (or demerits) without referring to other movies.
Baloney. If the reviewer is trying to get a point across of a right way to approach a movie like a serious toned CBM, and the wrong way to do it, then making a comparison is perfectly valid. Especially when both movies are from the same genre.

This wouldn't even be an issue for certain fans of BvS if the reviewer had brought it up in a complimentary comparison. It's the fact that it's a critical one that is irksome.

__________________
"Sometimes I remember it one way. Sometimes another. If I'm going to have a past, I prefer it to be multiple choice!"

- The Joker

Last edited by The Joker; 02-17-2017 at 03:15 AM.
The Joker is offline  
Old 02-17-2017, 03:23 AM   #371
Micromind
Side-Kick
 
Micromind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: In Shadows
Posts: 13,698
Default Re: All Things DCEU News, Discussion, and Speculation - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
Baloney. If the reviewer is trying to get a point across of a right way to approach a movie like a serious toned CBM, and the wrong way to do it, then making a comparison is perfectly valid. Especially when both movies are from the same genre.

This wouldn't even be an issue for certain fans of BvS if the reviewer had brought it up in a complimentary comparison. It's the fact that it's a critical one that is irksome.

It's an issue for me, I'm not saying this because BvS got negative reviews, when I read a review, I want the reviewer to analyze it without bringing in a movie that was released before to make a point, if the reviewer is unable to do so, then it's the reviewer who is failing to present his arguments logically based on the merits of the movie being reviewed.

__________________

Micromind is offline  
Old 02-17-2017, 03:27 AM   #372
Greens
I am Danny DeVito
 
Greens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 14,086
Default Re: All Things DCEU News, Discussion, and Speculation - Part 1

I didn't know reviewers were beholden to these arbitrary rules. I don't care if they bring up Battlefield Earth if it helps make their point.

__________________
Greens
Where the hell does it say that you've got a right to kick down doors, torture suspects, deny medical attention and legal counsel?
Where have you been? Does Escobedo ring a bell? Miranda? I mean, you must have heard of the Fourth Amendment. What I'm saying is that man had rights!

Aziz
...
Greens is online now  
Old 02-17-2017, 03:29 AM   #373
harlequinade
Little Mermaid
 
harlequinade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Atlantis, evidently
Posts: 4,995
Default Re: All Things DCEU News, Discussion, and Speculation - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce_Begins View Post
Reviews are not the place to compare old movies to new movie which is being reviewed, reviews should be about evaluating the movie based on it's own merits (or demerits) without referring to other movies.
Seriously? I review movies, just did one for Handmaiden and compared it to many Oscar movies this year to highlight I found it to be much better than those. I also compared it to older movies of its director. Comparing movies is something people do all the time. Just because someone writes for example about Black Swan and compares it to Repulsion because of the many thematic links is not a flaw at all. On contrary - the reader who saw the films the reviewer compares another one to can decide whether or not the movie being reviewed is worth his/her while.

harlequinade is offline  
Old 02-17-2017, 03:30 AM   #374
Micromind
Side-Kick
 
Micromind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: In Shadows
Posts: 13,698
Default Re: All Things DCEU News, Discussion, and Speculation - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfBoose View Post
That's not what I was saying. I'm not gonna try to convince anyone because I see the point of people, who hate these things. People have every reason to hate Eisenberg's performance as Luthor. Just like they have every right to find urine taunts inappropriate for films featuring Superman and even Batman. Despite me liking all this crap.

I dislike many movies and there are many actors who give a bad performance but I don't go over to threads of those movies bashing them on a regular basis, in case of BvS, it has been 11 months and some people who disliked the movie are still bashing it, it's one thing to say that the movie sucked few times after watching the movie in a theater, but to continue the negativity after almost a year is asinine.

__________________


Last edited by Micromind; 02-17-2017 at 03:36 AM.
Micromind is offline  
Old 02-17-2017, 03:33 AM   #375
titansupes
Side-Kick
 
titansupes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 9,774
Default Re: All Things DCEU News, Discussion, and Speculation - Part 1

This is a pretty normal thing in movie reviews. If there's a big space movie coming out, it's inevitably compared to (depending on what style of space movie) either Star Wars or 2001: A Space Odyssey. Hacksaw Ridge brought about some Saving Private Ryan comparisons etc.

I know it must be a pain to see a review for an upcoming movie where a movie you already love gets pooped on, but it's not unprofessional, nor is it some failure of film criticism.

__________________
I NEVER WANTED YOU TO COME BACK TO GOTHAM.

titansupes is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:42 AM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"



Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2017 All Rights Reserved.