The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > DC Comics Films

Closed Thread

Old 02-17-2017, 01:23 AM   #351
A Necessary Evil
One. Bad. Day.

Default Re: All Things DCEU News, Discussion, and Speculation - Part 1

Critics don't care if a superhero movie is dark or light. They care about if it sucks or not. Which BvS did. Hence the continual jokes about its quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacit Ronin View Post
The way SONY dominated Marc Webb was way more hardcore than anything in 50 Shades anyways.
Old 02-17-2017, 01:24 AM   #352
DeadStroke
Side-Kick

I think Mangold's Logan is going to give me more confidence in Ayer for GCS.

I thought the Wolverine was sort of meh. However, it looks like the studio left him alone, left him create a story that was really great. I hear its AMAZING.

If Mangold can make a meh movie and then come back to make a great one.

I think Ayer can bounce back from a critically panned film to making a solid effort on the next one.

Directors can get better..

with a good heart
But it's hard--
for a good man--
to be a king.
Old 02-17-2017, 01:24 AM   #353
TeeKay
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce_Begins View Post
Are you stating your opinion as a fact ?
What do you think?

Old 02-17-2017, 01:27 AM   #354
DeadStroke
Side-Kick

Also Logan's success might mean DC would actually let Mel Gibson craft whatever story works best for him.

Cut the budget down. Just make a gritty and grounded Suicide Squad 2.

with a good heart
But it's hard--
for a good man--
to be a king.
Old 02-17-2017, 01:31 AM   #355
idiot09
Kicks side

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeKay View Post
Because it was a bad movie and Logan highlights where BvS went wrong? Its really that simple. The reason why BvS is still in discussion because these are iconic characters who was sharing the screen for the first time and it went horrible wrong. Its no different when CW was being compared to BvS.
Yeah that's why we have seen them being brought up in reviews for "Angry Birds". Or even Lego Batman as if those two movies were attempting to do the same thing. Makes total sense.

Anyway I've said what I wanted to say. It's clear for anyone to see that these people just can't let it go and have to bring it up every damn chance they get. It's cheap and unprofessional.

Anyway...It is what it is. I have no desire to argue about this.

Old 02-17-2017, 01:32 AM   #356
Ivan Drago
Do Not Want

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadStroke View Post
I think Mangold's Logan is going to give me more confidence in Ayer for GCS.

I thought the Wolverine was sort of meh. However, it looks like the studio left him alone, left him create a story that was really great. I hear its AMAZING.

If Mangold can make a meh movie and then come back to make a great one.

I think Ayer can bounce back from a critically panned film to making a solid effort on the next one.

Directors can get better..
The Wolverine was miles better than Suicide Squad. Not even remotely the same thing.

The wolverine just had a weak third act which somewhat hindered the good stuff that came before.

2017 superhero movie ratings

1. Logan: 9.5/10
2. Guardians of the Galaxy 2: 6.5/10
3. Wonder Woman: 6.5/10
4. Spider-Man Homecoming: 8.5/10
Old 02-17-2017, 01:40 AM   #357
DeadStroke
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan Drago View Post
The Wolverine was miles better than Suicide Squad. Not even remotely the same thing.

The wolverine just had a weak third act which somewhat hindered the good stuff that came before.
Your opinion pal.

For ME They both were just average summer flicks. My liking of Suicide Squad is cause I just really dug the actors/characters.

My point still stands.

If Mangold can make whats considered an average/decent movie and follow up with a truly great movie.

I think Ayer can bounce back from what's considered a terrible movie and then make a solid one critically/decent.

I believe people can learn from their mistakes and improve somewhat.
*shrugs*

with a good heart
But it's hard--
for a good man--
to be a king.
Old 02-17-2017, 01:49 AM   #358
A Necessary Evil
One. Bad. Day.

I always love it when someone says something, and the best response is "Hey...that's your opinion."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacit Ronin View Post
The way SONY dominated Marc Webb was way more hardcore than anything in 50 Shades anyways.
Old 02-17-2017, 01:49 AM   #359
OutOfBoose
Russian Hacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by misslane38 View Post
I know you're being facetious, but no one has made any sort of argument like this, so I'm not sure what sort of commentary you are aiming at. Anyway, for the sake of argument, Lois says the line about tinkling in order to suggest to the guys that she's not one for roughing it. She puts on the appearance of weakness to ensure that the guys won't suspect that she'd go on any after hours adventures. Finch, on the other hand, references "Granny's Peach Tea" to assert her power. She's saying she can't be fooled. The actual appearance of the "tea" is what reveals her weakness. So there is some sort of throughline related to power, but it isn't consistent or clear enough to be a genuine theme. There are also too many other empowered women in the DCCU that aren't associated with urine for the theme to, um, hold any water.
Facetious? I don't think the presence of urine in two out three films deserves such an in-depth analysis. Search of deeper meaning or attempts to rationalize the mess of DCEU went overboard long time ago. And that's the point of the joke.

Old 02-17-2017, 01:54 AM   #360
harlequinade
Little Mermaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by idiot09 View Post
Yeah that's why we have seen them being brought up in reviews for "Angry Birds". Or even Lego Batman as if those two movies were attempting to do the same thing. Makes total sense.

Anyway I've said what I wanted to say. It's clear for anyone to see that these people just can't let it go and have to bring it up every damn chance they get. It's cheap and unprofessional.

Anyway...It is what it is. I have no desire to argue about this.
Just because these people don't like the movie you like doesn't make it cheap and unprofessional. There's no difference in bringing up a movie you like or a movie you don't like in a review when making a comparison. It's not "sad" at all.

Old 02-17-2017, 01:57 AM   #361
idiot09
Kicks side

Quote:
Originally Posted by harlequinade View Post
Just because these people don't like the movie you like doesn't make it cheap and unprofessional.
Yeah that's the context here

The CEO of RT saying everyone who made BvS should punch themselves because of Lego Batman.Such professionalism.

Oh yeah, and next time please don't create strawman arguments when responding to me.I won't reply back.

Last edited by idiot09; 02-17-2017 at 02:01 AM.
Old 02-17-2017, 02:00 AM   #362
harlequinade
Little Mermaid

Quote:
Yeah that's the context here
Then what was the context? It seems you cannot handle anyone mentioning they don't like BvS

Old 02-17-2017, 02:02 AM   #363
idiot09
Kicks side

Quote:
Then what was the context? It seems you cannot handle anyone mentioning they don't like BvS
Check my edit.

Old 02-17-2017, 02:04 AM   #364
harlequinade
Little Mermaid

Quote:
Check my edit.
Quote:
Oh yeah, and next time please don't create strawman arguments when responding to me.I won't reply back.
Devastated.

Old 02-17-2017, 02:08 AM   #365
idiot09
Kicks side

Good to know

Old 02-17-2017, 02:27 AM   #366
2kt09
Here 'N' There

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeKay View Post
Because it was a bad movie and Logan highlights where BvS went wrong? Its really that simple. The reason why BvS is still in discussion because these are iconic characters who was sharing the screen for the first time and it went horrible wrong. Its no different when CW was being compared to BvS.
"tone" What a joke!
The more people focus on that, the less the DCEU filmmakers actually learn/care to fix what's worth fixing.

CW is compared to BvS because it doesn't take a geek to realize they share enough similarities.
The Russos acknowledged Civil War wasn't on the table until BvS was announced.

Whedon-----Guggenheim_____Kinberg
Gunn________Goyer
Reed________Snyder
Old 02-17-2017, 02:39 AM   #367
OutOfBoose
Russian Hacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadStroke View Post
True. As long as everyone continues convincing us nothing makes sense in the movie its all good.
That's not what I was saying. I'm not gonna try to convince anyone because I see the point of people, who hate these things. People have every reason to hate Eisenberg's performance as Luthor. Just like they have every right to find urine taunts inappropriate for films featuring Superman and even Batman. Despite me liking all this crap.

Old 02-17-2017, 03:05 AM   #368
Micromind
Side-Kick

Quote:
Just because these people don't like the movie you like doesn't make it cheap and unprofessional. There's no difference in bringing up a movie you like or a movie you don't like in a review when making a comparison. It's not "sad" at all.

Reviews are not the place to compare old movies to new movie which is being reviewed, reviews should be about evaluating the movie based on it's own merits (or demerits) without referring to other movies.

Old 02-17-2017, 03:07 AM   #369
The Joker
The Clown Prince of Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Necessary Evil View Post
Critics don't care if a superhero movie is dark or light. They care about if it sucks or not. Which BvS did. Hence the continual jokes about its quality.
Exactly.

- The Joker
Old 02-17-2017, 03:11 AM   #370
The Joker
The Clown Prince of Crime

Quote:
Reviews are not the place to compare old movies to new movie which is being reviewed, reviews should be about evaluating the movie based on it's own merits (or demerits) without referring to other movies.
Baloney. If the reviewer is trying to get a point across of a right way to approach a movie like a serious toned CBM, and the wrong way to do it, then making a comparison is perfectly valid. Especially when both movies are from the same genre.

This wouldn't even be an issue for certain fans of BvS if the reviewer had brought it up in a complimentary comparison. It's the fact that it's a critical one that is irksome.

- The Joker

Last edited by The Joker; 02-17-2017 at 03:15 AM.
Old 02-17-2017, 03:23 AM   #371
Micromind
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
Baloney. If the reviewer is trying to get a point across of a right way to approach a movie like a serious toned CBM, and the wrong way to do it, then making a comparison is perfectly valid. Especially when both movies are from the same genre.

This wouldn't even be an issue for certain fans of BvS if the reviewer had brought it up in a complimentary comparison. It's the fact that it's a critical one that is irksome.

It's an issue for me, I'm not saying this because BvS got negative reviews, when I read a review, I want the reviewer to analyze it without bringing in a movie that was released before to make a point, if the reviewer is unable to do so, then it's the reviewer who is failing to present his arguments logically based on the merits of the movie being reviewed.

Old 02-17-2017, 03:27 AM   #372
Greens
I am Danny DeVito

I didn't know reviewers were beholden to these arbitrary rules. I don't care if they bring up Battlefield Earth if it helps make their point.

Aziz
Old 02-17-2017, 03:29 AM   #373
harlequinade
Little Mermaid

Quote:
Seriously? I review movies, just did one for Handmaiden and compared it to many Oscar movies this year to highlight I found it to be much better than those. I also compared it to older movies of its director. Comparing movies is something people do all the time. Just because someone writes for example about Black Swan and compares it to Repulsion because of the many thematic links is not a flaw at all. On contrary - the reader who saw the films the reviewer compares another one to can decide whether or not the movie being reviewed is worth his/her while.

Old 02-17-2017, 03:30 AM   #374
Micromind
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfBoose View Post
That's not what I was saying. I'm not gonna try to convince anyone because I see the point of people, who hate these things. People have every reason to hate Eisenberg's performance as Luthor. Just like they have every right to find urine taunts inappropriate for films featuring Superman and even Batman. Despite me liking all this crap.

I dislike many movies and there are many actors who give a bad performance but I don't go over to threads of those movies bashing them on a regular basis, in case of BvS, it has been 11 months and some people who disliked the movie are still bashing it, it's one thing to say that the movie sucked few times after watching the movie in a theater, but to continue the negativity after almost a year is asinine.

Last edited by Micromind; 02-17-2017 at 03:36 AM.
Old 02-17-2017, 03:33 AM   #375
titansupes
Side-Kick

This is a pretty normal thing in movie reviews. If there's a big space movie coming out, it's inevitably compared to (depending on what style of space movie) either Star Wars or 2001: A Space Odyssey. Hacksaw Ridge brought about some Saving Private Ryan comparisons etc.

I know it must be a pain to see a review for an upcoming movie where a movie you already love gets pooped on, but it's not unprofessional, nor is it some failure of film criticism.

Closed Thread