The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Games > Sony

Closed Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 06:25 AM   #726
Benstamania
Go away.

Default Re: The Official PS4 Thread - Part 4

Agreed. I think it will be more successful than 3D but it's not gonna be the "next big thing."

Old 01-06-2014, 10:23 AM   #727
StrainedEyes
All the way up it!

PSA: Don't Starve comes out on Tuesday and is free for PS+ members!

Old 01-06-2014, 02:45 PM   #728
Figs
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrainedEyes View Post
PSA: Don't Starve comes out on Tuesday and is free for PS+ members!
Thanks for the update. So far I'm digging some of these free games and this one looks like a game my wife won't have trouble playing.

Old 01-06-2014, 02:47 PM   #729
BatMatt
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidus View Post
Not really. Blu has been around for 8 years now. DVD was around for 10 by the time Blu-Ray started to mass produce in 2006.
Blu-Ray was driven by the fact that a new movie format was needed to keep up with HDTVs and HD television broadcasts. Can't have your sitcom looking five times better than your movie after all. I see Blu-Ray lasting longer as a format because there's no new technology to push it out of the way, especially if BD discs can be developed to hold 4K movies

Old 01-06-2014, 02:56 PM   #730
Iceman
Infinity War!

I think it's not that easy to make the call on how big it will be as it's more up to the manufacturers when they want to start the marketing blitz and price the top quality sets at levels that will be attractive and attainable for the mass market. I don't know if most have seen a top quality 4K TV playing native 4K content (many shop demos don't do both, and they cost £15k still) but it'll burn your eyes off. I've no doubt people will upgrade when the price is right and the content is there unlike with 3D and starting with this month's CES most of the manufacturers are starting the big 4k push and giving up on 3D and making smart & OLED secondary attractions. It can't really be analysed/forecast that effectively by what's happened up to now as the push hadn't started and most technologies that are now widespread were in a similar position of obscurity and ridiculous price before manufacturers chose to go all in. Remember the £10k plasma HDTVs with nothing to play on them? That's where we are at the moment with 4K.

Old 01-06-2014, 02:59 PM   #731
Tron Bonne
All Ass, No Sass
SHH! Moderator

It's impossible to call it for sure, but you have to look at the situation from a particle standpoint, too. HDTV and Blu-ray are relatively new, and there's still DVD and standard definition in use for them to still be very relevant. What case do you think, at this point, a third option will have? It's not impossible that it may take off, but I find it's chances very slim. I think it would end up like the Laserdisc did which, while the best at the time, the time just wasn't ready for it.

"When you see a John Woo film, it's comforting to know how shallow the world really is. The full force of the manly coolness factor with a peice of nose hair sticking out from the tiny crack between manly and cool, exposes the thinness of the male hormone factor. It takes an idiot to do cool things. That's why it's cool."

Quote:
I was a North American Fall Webworm in my past life. Those were the good old days.
Old 01-06-2014, 03:15 PM   #732
Iceman
Infinity War!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tron Bonne View Post
It's impossible to call it for sure, but you have to look at the situation from a particle standpoint, too. HDTV and Blu-ray are relatively new, and there's still DVD and standard definition in use for them to still be very relevant. What case do you think, at this point, a third option will have? It's not impossible that it may take off, but I find it's chances very slim. I think it would end up like the Laserdisc did which, while the best at the time, the time just wasn't ready for it.
Laserdisc was never actively pushed. Many people still haven't even heard of laserdisc. Until now there was no indication that 4K was actually ever going to be pushed but all the manufacturers have quite suddenly changed their tune and all put it at the top of their priorities ahead of Smart, OLED & definitely above 3D.

I don't think it will happen soon but in maybe 5 years or so mass acceptance could happen almost overnight. By then 4K will have been a a widely advertised and more recognised term, the likes of Netflix and youtube will have signed up, basic 60 inch 4K TVs might be available for less than £1k from certain manufacturers and the internet might have made some headway in accessing/streaming/downloading digital 4K content within acceptable time frames. I don't think the 4k generation will be as dependant or driven by a physical media as prior ones.

Old 01-06-2014, 03:18 PM   #733
Havok83
Side-Kick

I dont see a new physical format catching on bc if anything I think a trend going forward is more towards digital. Most blurays already come with either a digital copy, UV or both. You build up a digital library which you can access anywhere and on most devices from your mobile phone, PC, laptop, smart tv, game device, etc.... Its just so much more practical, and less of a hassle to stream and/or download than to buy new equipment and worry about replacing what you have.

Old 01-06-2014, 03:25 PM   #734
Iceman
Infinity War!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
I dont see a new physical format catching on bc if anything I think a trend going forward is more towards digital. Most blurays already come with either a digital copy, UV or both. You build up a digital library which you can access anywhere and on most devices from your mobile phone, PC, laptop, smart tv, game device, etc.... Its just so much more practical, and less of a hassle to stream and/or download than to buy new equipment and worry about replacing what you have.
That's exactly where home/mobile entertainment is going and what most people are looking for.

Old 01-06-2014, 03:37 PM   #735
X Knight
Watchful Protector

I still prefer to watch my movies on a physical disc.......

Old 01-06-2014, 03:39 PM   #736
X Knight
Watchful Protector

say, when do you think Sony will announce any new updates to the PS4?

Old 01-06-2014, 03:58 PM   #737
rashad
Hype Board Junkie

Sony will have a CES press conference today.
http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/01/...ce-live-blog-3

Old 01-06-2014, 04:02 PM   #738
X Knight
Watchful Protector

great!! thanks.

hope we hear some new stuff!

Old 01-06-2014, 04:30 PM   #739
Iceman
Infinity War!

That is a general electronics shows and the PS4 might not be the main focus, especially with Sony having new 4K TVs to introduce. You never know though, might be some interesting stuff.

Old 01-06-2014, 04:48 PM   #740
X Knight
Watchful Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
That is a general electronics shows and the PS4 might not be the main focus, especially with Sony having new 4K TVs to introduce. You never know though, might be some interesting stuff.
well, all the more to introduce the new "media player" app for the PS4 that lets you listen to mp3s, watch mp4s, manage your pictures, etc.

y'know.....to turn your PS4 into an all purpose media hub......

Old 01-06-2014, 05:06 PM   #741
rashad
Hype Board Junkie

Daylight - Don't Look Back Trailer

Old 01-06-2014, 09:05 PM   #742
StrainedEyes
All the way up it!

Before anyone gets excited, there was no Playstation news in the keynote today.

Old 01-06-2014, 09:30 PM   #743
Electro UK
Can't all be for nothing

It wasn't the keynote - that's Kaz tomorrow. Although there almost certainly won't be any more news there either.

Old 01-06-2014, 10:05 PM   #744
zenith16
Side-Kick

General: Smedley On Subscriptions - One for All and All for One According to a new post by Sony Online entertainment's John Smedley, the gaming giant is considering a single subscription option for all players. Simply said, subscribe to one SOE game, subscribe to them all. Smedle ... Read more...

Source:MMORPG .com

Old 01-06-2014, 10:13 PM   #745
Solidus
Knights of Ren

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tron Bonne View Post
I had to look it up, but yeah, I wasn't aware Blu-ray had been on the mass market for that long. I was thinking they first came around 2008, but I guess that's when they won and HD-DVD was discontinued.

Still, though, DVDs are fairly strong. It's not like it was from VHS to DVD where VHS started to disappear relatively quickly from the mainstream. I don't know if DVD will start disappearing like that for at least another 2-3 years, and I suspect it'll still have limited mainstream presence well after that. Releasing a third physical format before that happens seems unlikely to me, it would probably end up like another laserdisc situation if they did. Unless this 4K stuff isn't going to materialize for like 10 years or something.
Ya the PS3 had in when it launched in 2006. I think it will be a few years, but not a decade. I could see it starting up like Blu-ray when it started some markets in 2004 then catch on later.

Quote:
I don't see 4K picking up bc there is no demand for 4K TVs. Bluray was able to penetrate the market bc it came just as HDTVs were getting big and there was a push to digital signals which made old SDTVs obsolete without a converter box. A lot of people ended up upgrading to HDTVs and as that happened and prices of players went down, bluray saw an increase in sales. There is no similar push to drive 4K. Is the average person going to notice a difference between a 1080 picture and 4K? Not likely. I see it ending up the same way that Superbit DVDs were. They'll appeal to a very small niche market, but will never fully catch on
People said the same stuff about Blu-Ray and HD to begin with. Trust me lots of it I heard on these boards by many users, that blu-ray was a niche and so was HD mainly because they had smaller TV's and could not see the difference. 4K TV's are dropping in price faster then HD ones did back in the day, soon they will be the normal ones that everyone will buy in the next few years. It will just be seen as the next step up. Nothing massive in terms of going from SD to HD. However it will still be that upgrade.

It may be around 5 years or so until it starts gaining traction, it just won't be seen as much of a jump as SD to HD or VHS to DVD. It will just be the next phase up. That and TV's don't last as long as they used to sadly enough. Sooner or later people will just buy 4K because it will soon be at reasonable prices. Again I'm shocked on how low the prices have gone already from 25K at the first of the year down to 6-8 thousand for even bigger sets now.

"If you don’t care about the characters, nothing matters. No space ship, no explosion, no anything is important if you don’t feel something for the people involved."J.J. Abrams (2/5/13)

Last edited by Solidus; 01-06-2014 at 10:19 PM.
Old 01-06-2014, 10:29 PM   #746
Havok83
Side-Kick

Quote:

People said the same stuff about Blu-Ray and HD to begin with. Trust me lots of it I heard on these boards by many users, that blu-ray was a niche and so was HD mainly because they had smaller TV's and could not see the difference. 4K TV's are dropping in price faster then HD ones are, soon they will be the normal ones that everyone will buy in the next few years. It will just be seen as the next step up. Nothing massive in terms of going from SD to HD. However it will still be that upgrade.

It may be around 5 years or so until it starts gaining traction, it just won't be seen as much of a jump as SD to HD or VHS to DVD. It will just be the next phase up. That and TV's don't last as long as they used to sadly enough. Sooner or later people will just buy 4K because it will soon be at reasonable prices. Again I'm shocked on how low the prices have gone already from 25K at the first of the year down to 6-8 thousand for even bigger sets now.
Digital copies and UV didn't exist 8 years ago when BR was launched. They do now and with them being included with BR and DVD purchases, it makes it more easier to skip a new format and just stick with a digital library. Internet speed and tech has improved immensely, making this more accepted

You cant discount that the change to HD was forced upon us. Some people were reluctant but they don't sell SDTVs in this country anymore bc its obsolete. There was a national government mandate to change all tv signals from analog to digital back in 2009 which corresponded with a surge in HDTV sales. There is no push like that for 4K and there wont be. For someone shopping for a tv, its a more expensive novelty; not the necessity nor only option that people have as was the case with HDTVs starting a few years back. Its not going to catch on unless its the only option in stores which I don't see happening.

Old 01-06-2014, 10:58 PM   #747
Solidus
Knights of Ren

Quote:
Digital copies and UV didn't exist 8 years ago when BR was launched. They do now and with them being included with BR and DVD purchases, it makes it more easier to skip a new format and just stick with a digital library. Internet speed and tech has improved immensely, making this more accepted

You cant discount that the change to HD was forced upon us. Some people were reluctant but they don't sell SDTVs in this country anymore bc its obsolete. There was a national government mandate to change all tv signals from analog to digital back in 2009 which corresponded with a surge in HDTV sales. There is no push like that for 4K and there wont be. For someone shopping for a tv, its a more expensive novelty; not the necessity nor only option that people have as was the case with HDTVs starting a few years back. Its not going to catch on unless its the only option in stores which I don't see happening.
People said the same thing about SD, they could just get converter boxes. Many did for a time. It's about price. Look again of what I said and what some analysts have been saying 4K is dropping in price faster then any other next gen TV ever has. Some of the retailers have even been saying by 2015 they've heard distributors say 4K TV's will be around the 3K range. And it will only go lower from there. The thing is TV makers will probably just edge out the older versions as time goes on. Price won't be as much of a factor, because it will go down, and it's going down faster then any others ever have.

If it becomes the norm in price people will adopt it. Our generations and even some of the older ones are adapting to new techs faster then ever before. Even looking at consoles, the next gen has never sold as fast as they have so early on.

Will it be a new physical format? I think it will start there, yes digital could become bigger. But even still such a massive amount of America is plagued by terrible speeds, that are not that great. I have trouble doing some things in HD here. Really most seem to say that America needs a whole new internet infrastructure to be able to keep up with the rest of the world.

But neither here nor there, I bet 4K will come into play faster because of digital distribution/dish etc etc. Because if you don't have it they will have the less 1080P available I'm sure. It may be a few years till it starts more heavily but things will start moving to 4K.

"If you don’t care about the characters, nothing matters. No space ship, no explosion, no anything is important if you don’t feel something for the people involved."J.J. Abrams (2/5/13)
Old 01-06-2014, 11:32 PM   #748
Havok83
Side-Kick

$3k is too expensive for the average consumer for a TV. Sub $500 is where it needs to be. I personally just upgraded to my first 1080p TV. Im not looking to get a new one for a very very long time. Its not needed in my case.

Quote:
If it becomes the norm in price people will adopt it. Our generations and even some of the older ones are adapting to new techs faster then ever before. Even looking at consoles, the next gen has never sold as fast as they have so early .
consoles aren't the best example to cite as the last gen typically don't last long as this past one did. 8 years was LONG. People were ready for something new, hence big numbers going into this next one

Last edited by Havok83; 01-06-2014 at 11:38 PM.
Old 01-06-2014, 11:48 PM   #749
Solidus
Knights of Ren

Quote:
$3k is too expensive for the average consumer for a TV. Sub $500 is where it needs to be. I personally just upgraded to my first 1080p TV. Im not looking to get a new one for a very very long time. Its not needed in my case.

consoles aren't the best example to cite as the last gen typically don't last long as this past one did. 8 years was LONG. People were ready for something new, hence big numbers going into this next one
My point being is by 2018 (only 4 years from now) or so on the path that they are on for price reduction....they will be that price. Prices always go down when the tech becomes older. It just is that way. 2015 and the price is a guess, and they are saying 3K for the really really BIG TV's. Most TV's that are bigger then 60 inches are around 1500-2000.

Yes you just got a new TV...but that's not going to stop that from happening.

Yes there was a longer wait, but there was a 7 year wait with the NES to SNES. But it was a year longer then some of the other next gens. I still think the point stands on how quickly new tech sells. See Apple products. People go through TV's much faster now then they used to as well. It used to be every 10 years or so my family would get a new one, now it's like every 5 years.

Funny thing is I had these exact same conversations about 7 years ago on the forums about Blu-Ray. There will be 4K and it will become the standard eventually. It may be a little longer, but it's going to happen.

Last edited by Solidus; 01-07-2014 at 12:22 AM.
Old 01-07-2014, 09:34 AM   #750
Benstamania
Go away.

If 4K doesn't end up just another quick money grab like 3D..4 years from now we'll see 50-55 inch tv's for 700-800.