The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > TV Series > The Walking Dead & Fear The Walking Dead

Closed Thread

Old 07-13-2017, 07:09 PM   #776
Kane52630
Joker Got Away

Default Re: "The Walking Dead" General Stuff & Thaaaangs Thread - - - Part 12

Eh, AMC was being really shi**y to him and every other AMC show at the time. It's no surprise that's how he took offense to it.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr...rabonts-852491

Quote:
In his deposition, obtained by The Hollywood Reporter, Darabont talks about the early days of the show, saying that despite the massive ratings success of Walking Dead, AMC created budget problems for the series. (Read the court documents here.)

Darabont says, "I remember Joel Stillerman [president of original programming and development for AMC], in a meeting in my office, when we were all discussing the issues of the upcoming season, we said to him, 'Surely that the success of the show, which, by the way, you guys are bragging about because we keep getting e-mails saying, 'Hey, we're breaking viewership records in 120 countries around the world by hundreds of percent, in some countries by over 1,000%,' at the same time we're hearing how successful the show is for you, you're telling us that this, this budget issue is not going to budge at all. And he said, 'The success of the show has no bearing on this discussion,' in a rather icy manner."

According to Darabont, AMC cut the budget "from 3.4 to 3," referring to the millions it takes to produce episodes of Walking Dead.

"That was bad enough, but then they dropped the bomb on us that, oh by the way, they're keeping the tax credit," he testified. "They're going to pocket the tax credit. So, between the two you've got a full 25% cut across the board."

Darabont said this hurt the cast and crew, who he described as "busting their butts, leaving it all on the field, to earn."

Last edited by Kane52630; 07-13-2017 at 07:15 PM.
Old 07-13-2017, 08:12 PM   #777
KevTravels
Side-Kick

Damn. Sounds like a complete warzone.

Season 2 was terrible. Cutting the budget forced us to endure the entire season on the farm.

Old 07-13-2017, 08:15 PM   #778
Marvolo
Side-Kick

Lots of people have crappy and even mean bosses. Lots of people have trouble getting the pay and funds they need. Doesnt justify his behavior. Darabont doesnt even mention money in the emails. Hes just ranting and *****ing like an madman about everything like only he is capable. He comes across like an egotistical ass with dangerous anger management issues. Its speaks of the professionalism of the people that received those emails. A less professional person would have fed Darabont his keyboard or at the very least filed for a restraining order.

Old 07-13-2017, 08:24 PM   #779
Man in the Suit
Greeting

Darabont's emails sound like how I felt watching The Majestic.

Old 07-13-2017, 08:25 PM   #780
AndrewGilkison
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvolo View Post
Frank Darabont Emails to AMC Executives

Spoiler tagged for length:

http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/you-...ils-to-amc-235

There is being upset about your work and then there is completely ****ing insane melodrama. I work a stressful job and put up with some tedious stupidity at times. I k ow what its like. As do many many working people. But if I or most workers acted like this raging brat we'd be fired faster than we could blink. Its no wonder AMC fired his angry melodramatic ass.
I don't blame Darabont for these emails. As the showrunner it was his job to oversee an expensive show with a lot of money on the line, and be the quality bar. When the people under you are not giving you what you need, you sometimes need to be extreme to get your point across.

It sounds like the AMC executives were not giving him and the crew the support they deserved. That probably didn't help the mood.

Old 07-14-2017, 12:50 PM   #781
Leenie
Side-Kick

AMC screwed over Darabont big time.

(The best season of the show is still the first season ... But that's none of my business ...)

(8) Captain America: The Winter Soldier,
(9) Guardians of the Galaxy, (10) Deadpool
Old 07-18-2017, 01:19 AM   #782
Elevator Man
Side-Kick

Somebody shared a photo of TWD SDCC banner on twitter.

Old 07-18-2017, 01:49 PM   #783
Man in the Suit
Greeting

Bear McCreary's score will be released later this year!

Quote:
EW can exclusively announce that Emmy-winning composer Bear McCreary’s original score from the AMC hit series will be released later this year in all formats by Lakeshore Records and Sparks & Shadows. The entire collection is being selected from the recordings previously created for the episodes.

“Narrowing down the highlights from seven years of work was a tremendous challenge. I have distilled my choices to include tracks that are both frequent fan requests and my personal favorites,” McCreary tells EW. “I am thrilled there is finally a way for fans of this global phenomenon to experience my music in an album format.”

Old 07-19-2017, 10:32 AM   #784
KevTravels
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elevator Man View Post
Somebody shared a photo of TWD SDCC banner on twitter.
I remember being in DC around late October when I saw the promos for the show. I kept thinking "a zombie mini-series on AMC?" Seemed quite ridiculous at the time.

Old 07-19-2017, 01:17 PM   #785
Elevator Man
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man in the Suit View Post

Long overdue. Only downside is they're cramming 7 seasons worth of music onto one (maybe two) disc(s). So not every cue or notable cue will be released. However, it's better than nothing.

Old 07-19-2017, 01:24 PM   #786
Elevator Man
Side-Kick

The Walking Dead: Exclusive season 8 photo shows Rick and Maggie ready for war
Showrunner Scott M. Gimple warns fans to ‘hold on to their seat’

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entertainment Weekly

Season 7 of The Walking Dead ended with Rick, Maggie, and Ezekiel — the leaders of Alexandria, the Hilltop, and the Kingdom, respectively — rising up together to form one united front against Negan and the Saviors. And as this exclusive image from season 8 shows, they remain armed and ready for battle.

Following up on our exclusive first photo of season 8 that showed a reunited Daryl and Carol, we now see Rick and Maggie once again working together to bring Negan down. And showrunner Scott M. Gimple promises that the zombie drama will find itself firmly in the “All Out War” arc from the comic book as we head into season 8.

“We have basically set the stage for All Out War,” says Gimple. “Negan’s said it, everybody has seen they’re in it. It will play out quickly and propulsively and attentively and will shift around the focus quite a bit between the different places and battlegrounds and characters and communities.”

Fans should also expect to see a very confident, yet not overconfident, Rick Grimes — a far cry from his submissive start to season 7. “His swagger is definitely back,” says Gimple. “But it’s a measured swagger. It’s a focused swagger. He absolutely has it and you will see it in episode 1.”

Another thing you can expect to see right out of the gate in the season premiere — which also happens to be the show’s landmark 100th episode — is action both fast and furious. “It’s really a lot happening simultaneously,” promises the showrunner. “We just want the audience to hold on to their seat as they’re thrown through this thing.”

Look for the show to debut a season 8 trailer at its Comic-Con panel in San Diego on Friday, July 21.

Old 07-19-2017, 02:17 PM   #787
Kane52630
Joker Got Away

Old 07-21-2017, 03:47 PM   #788
NotNickFury
Side-Kick

And. Trailer.

Old 07-21-2017, 04:48 PM   #789
Man in the Suit
Greeting

Some shots in there reminded me of season 2. Seems like there's more camera movement compared to last season, but maybe that's just me who thinks that...

Old 07-21-2017, 05:08 PM   #790
Kane52630
Joker Got Away

#timejumpconfirmed

Old 07-21-2017, 06:05 PM   #791
KevTravels
Side-Kick

Looks like they finally put a worthy budget on screen for this show.

In the past the lack of the budget (despite the cash show the show is) I kept wondering what this would look like if on HBO with a budget that Game of Thrones have.

Old 07-21-2017, 06:20 PM   #792
Man in the Suit
Greeting

According to filming reports, it seems like most of the main cast have been in all of the episodes they've shot so far. Guess they paid attention to the criticism and ratings... Rick in every episode? This is a shocking development.

Old 07-21-2017, 06:51 PM   #793
righthooksrus86
Side-Kick

I love this show but judging from that trailer season 8 kinda looks like more of the same.

Old 07-21-2017, 07:48 PM   #794
Hunter Rider
Ronin
SHH! Administrator

The trailer didn't flow very well IMO, there were some cool action shots with Daryl on the bike and a funny exchange between Ezekiel and his mate, but there was a lack of focus and no big scene between a couple of prominet characters to really whet the appetite.

Not sure what to make of that last shot or Rick, like he was in heaven.

Old 07-21-2017, 11:38 PM   #795
KevTravels
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man in the Suit View Post
According to filming reports, it seems like most of the main cast have been in all of the episodes they've shot so far. Guess they paid attention to the criticism and ratings... Rick in every episode? This is a shocking development.
they film May-November so arguably they could shoot all the episodes he's in first or that Danai will be in.

Though Yeah I def do agree. I hate seeing the lead characters in 40% of the season

Old 07-21-2017, 11:38 PM   #796
KevTravels
Side-Kick

why again did AMC cut the budget for season 2? were they just being stingy or did they not plan on the show being such a hit?

Old 07-22-2017, 12:03 AM   #797
Great Cthulhu
nɹɐW ɹǝdᴉԀ

I don't know if I can sit through another season of Negan leaning and Ezekiel talking in poetry.

Old 07-22-2017, 12:28 AM   #798
Elevator Man
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotNickFury View Post
And. Trailer.

Wasn't impressed. The trailer didn't do anything for me. It just looks more of the same. I prefer FTWD Season 3b trailer over this trailer. They should've condensed Season 7 into 7a and All Out War into 7b. I just know they are going to drag this war out.

Also the end of the trailer gave away that Rick will survive the war.

Last edited by Elevator Man; 07-22-2017 at 12:42 AM.
Old 07-22-2017, 03:21 AM   #799
guitarsingerguy
Who am I?

I didn't even watch last season because my interest has just totally vanished, and the time jump seems like a gimmick.

Old 07-22-2017, 10:34 AM   #800
NotNickFury
Side-Kick

I mean, there's a time jump in the comic as well after the war, so they're just following suit. And come on, you all know Rick has infinite plot armor. He wasn't going to die. Something will happen to him, but it won't be his death.

Closed Thread