The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Comic Books > DC Comics

Old 07-17-2017, 02:36 AM   #701
sweetre15
Positive Page

Default Re: The General Comic Discussion Thread

Ya know, when I decided to buy this story and even when it came in the mail, there was something about the cover that just made me feel like I was gonna love this comic. It wasn't even necessarily seeing Loeb and Sale's names that did that but just the cover and the name "Superman For All Seasons".....Can't really put my finger on why but it just stood out to me and caught my attention.

Well finally I got to read the book and just finished a couple minutes ago and boy was I glad that I was right about this book.

Now I knew that, in light of the framing device Loeb used in The Long Halloween where the story and time frame was chronicled by each holiday, that I should expect this Superman story to have time lapses chronicled by each season. That aside though, what really won me over about this book that despite it not having this grand overarching Villain conflict (unless you count the whole thing with Luthor plaguing the city and using that biochemist woman to not only help cure the virus but have her death be a catalyst in running Superman out of the city for some time) but focus more on the effect/perspectives of the people important in his life as Clark and Superman. Whether it's Jonathan and Martha Kent watching their son get more powerful while watching him come to grips with what he can/should do with them, Lana's love and concern for Clark along with her getting over her heartbreak caused by him moving to Metropolis, Lois Lane being taken by how someone capable of what Superman can do is using his power for good or Lex Luthor's envy and resentment at Superman becoming the new crown jewel of Metropolis, it all works to make a very moving/touching look at the Man of Steel that one may not have considered before reading this book. It's also a real shame that this hasn't gotten an animated adaptation or that Loeb and Sale didn't do a follow up story of some kind for this because this book is just that good to me.

There are not a lot of works I give a 9/10 to but this is an exception to the rule.

For anyone curious about Superman this is definitely a must read.

Last edited by sweetre15; 07-17-2017 at 01:17 PM.
sweetre15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 12:51 PM   #702
Pants Under Underpants
AKA: SUPERGRAVE

Hey guys, I've been on the hype for a while now and typically frequent the DCEU movies threads, but this is my first post on the comics side of the forums. I was curious to see if anyone had a link or knew where I could find all of the variant covers for the Dark Knights Metal #1 event in August. I've seen a few variants floating around, but it looks like there are some incredible retailer exclusives, and I'd love to find out how to purchase those.
Thanks in advance!

Old 07-17-2017, 12:58 PM   #703
Babillygunn
Tag team champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetre15 View Post
So I finally finished Superman: Birthright

....Man, if there is one compliment I can pay Mark Waid, it's that he knows how to write a good Superman story. The way he reinvented Superman by incorporating the S as something from Superman's kryptonian heritage as well as drawing a nice fine line between Superman deciding to become a Superhero out of the values instilled in him by the Kents and his time in Africa along with his desire to embrace his Kryptonian heritage with the S on his chest. Along with coming up with explanations behind how the Clark Kent persona actually works by largely making him as unremarkable as possible. Whether it's the glasses changing the shape of his face and dulling his blue eyes along with his suit being there to hide his impressive physique and making him walk in a way that also makes him seem bland is altogether a nice way to explain why people don't put two and two together when it comes to Clark and Superman. The whole overall story that builds up over whether or not Superman can be trusted is one I'm familiar with but never stop enjoying nonetheless especially with how even when he wanted to give up, he didn't despite everything looking bleak for him.

What was also a really nice touch was the way Waid reimagined the Golden Age backstory of how Clark and Lex were friends back in Smallville. To where in this Lex was alienated because of how much his intelligence and seemingly anti-social nature made people afraid of him despite him growing up rich and to where his falling out with Clark was caused by his experiment giving him radiation poisoning...which made Lex think Clark was looking at him in disgust like everyone else was. Though the experiment failed, Luthor would go on to move from Smallville and erase his name from any records and people would do their best not to talk about him. I also liked the idea of Lex being a rich and famous astrobiologist which to me is a nice way of combining the mogul most are familiar with now with his angry scientist background from the Golden age.

Everything in the story from the action, writing and artwork is excellent and overall I give this book an 8.5/10
Great review Sweetre. I love Birthright.
My only knock might be how Jonathan Kent is written. I am an adoptive father myself, and I understand that adoptive kids have differences and that can be difficult. (Of course, with me it is that one of my sons is of a different race whereas Jonathan is dealing with super powers...a little different I'm sure). Still Jonathan comes across too threatened by Clark's destiny. I guess I wish he was a stronger character in that particular comic. Although I admit that is from a personal perspective.

And you have convinced me to read For All Seasons and I'll be picking that one up this week.

Old 07-18-2017, 10:35 PM   #704
geetard
Rebirth

The third crossover of KFC/DC has been announced.

https://www.newsarama.com/35426-gree...omic-book.html

geetard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 12:42 PM   #705
MMMMM...Pancakes
Cena Wins LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by geetard View Post
The third crossover of KFC/DC has been announced.

https://www.newsarama.com/35426-gree...omic-book.html
I didn't even know there was a one and two.

***Wrestling Thread***

2016 SHH WWE PPV Prediction Champion
MMMMM...Pancakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 08:01 PM   #706
geetard
Rebirth

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMMMM...Pancakes View Post
I didn't even know there was a one and two.
They're pretty fun.

Issue #3 is out (free for a limited time):
https://www.comixology.com/KFC-Acros...l-comic/529232

Old 07-22-2017, 05:40 PM   #707
MMMMM...Pancakes
Cena Wins LOL

What are the thoughts on JL trailer from the people in this thread?

Old 07-22-2017, 06:45 PM   #708
Motown Marvel
Crimson and Clover

Quote:
it...exists.

Motown Marvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 06:57 PM   #709
MMMMM...Pancakes
Cena Wins LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motown Marvel View Post
it...exists.
Not surprising coming from someone with Marvel in their name.

***Wrestling Thread***

Old 07-22-2017, 11:27 PM   #710
NDX
Walking with Elias.

I find every recent DC film except Wonder Woman boring as hell. It's just disappointing. And yeah, I might be a Marvel guy at heart, but I grew up wearing out my Superman: The Movie and Superman II VHS tapes. So I wanted to like Man of Steel, but it was just so dull.

Even though I want to see Mamoa as Aquaman and what Wonder Woman does, I can't find it in me to give a **** about this movie.

NDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 12:02 AM   #711
Motown Marvel
Crimson and Clover

Quote:
Not surprising coming from someone with Marvel in their name.
Umm, I am by and far a DC fan, so much more than I am a Marvel fan. As if I need an excuse outside of anything I saw in the trailer to have the opinion that it looked like a lackluster video game with terrible writing.

Motown Marvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 12:38 AM   #712
MMMMM...Pancakes
Cena Wins LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motown Marvel View Post
Umm, I am by and far a DC fan, so much more than I am a Marvel fan. As if I need an excuse outside of anything I saw in the trailer to have the opinion that it looked like a lackluster video game with terrible writing.
Wasn't being serious about that. No need to explain yourself. I guess next time I need to use a sarcastic smiley?

***Wrestling Thread***

Old 07-23-2017, 06:54 AM   #713
Slade W
"Who Is Slade?"

Here are the winners of this years Eisner awards:

Best Lettering: Todd Klein, Clean Room, Dark Night, Lucifer (DC/Vertigo), Black Hammer (Dark Horse)
Best Digital Comic: Bandette by Paul Tobin and Colleen Coover (Monkeybrain/ComiXology)
Best Webcomic: Bird Boy by Anne Szabla
Best Writer: Brian K. Vaughan, Saga, Paper Girls (Image Comics)
Best Writer/Artist: Sonny Liew, The Art of Charlie Chan Hock Chye (Pantheon)
Best Cover Artist: Fiona Staples, Saga (Image Comics)
Best U.S. Edition of International Material: The Moebius Library: The World of Edena by Jean "Moebius" Gerald et al. (Dark Horse)
Best U.S. Edition of International Material (Asia): The Art of Charlie Chan Hock Chye Best Humor Publication: Jughead by Chip Zdarsky, Ryan North, Erica Henderson and Derek Charm (Archie)
The Bill Finger Award: William Messner-Loebs, Jack Kirby
Best Comics-Related Periodical/Journalism: The A.V. Club, by Oliver Save et al.
Best Comics-Related Book: Crazy: George Herriman, A Life In Black and White by Michael Tisserand (Harper)
Best Academic/Scholarly Work: Superwomen, Gender, Power and Representation by Carolyn Cocca (Bloomsbury)
Best Penciller/Inker: Fiona Staples, Saga (Image Comics)
Best Coloring: Matt Wilson, Cry Havoc, Paper Girls, The Wicked + The Divine (Image Comics), Black Widow, The Mighty Thor, Star-Lord (Marvel Entertainment)
Best Painter/Multimedia Artist: Jill Thompson, Wonder Woman: The True Amazon (DC Entertainment), Beasts of Burden: What The Cat Dragged In (Dark Horse)
The Bob Clampett Humanitarian Award: Joe Ferrera, Marc Andreyko
Best Publication for Early Readers (up to age 8): Narwhal, Unicorn of the Sea by Ben Clanton (Tundra)
Best Publication for Kids (ages 9-12): Ghosts by Raina Telgemeier (Scholastic)
Best Publication for Teens (ages 13-17): The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl by Ryan North and Erica Henderson (Marvel Entertainment)
The Will Eisner Hall of Fame: Milt Gross, H.G. Peter, Antonio Prohias, Dori Seda, Gilbert Hernandez, Jaime Hernandez, George Perez, Walter Simonson, Jim Starlin
The Spirit of Comics Retailer Award: Comicazi, Somerville MA
Best Archival Collection/Project — Strips: Dick Tracy: Colorful Cases of the 1930s edited by Peter Maresca (Sunday Press)
Best Archival Collection/Project — Comics: The Complete Wimmen's Comix edited by Trina Robbins, Gary Groth and J. Michael Catron (Fantagraphics)
Best Publication Design: The Art of Charlie Chan Hock Chye Best Short Story: "Good Boy" by Tom King and David Finch, Batman Annual No. 1 (DC Entertainment)
Best Single Issue/One-Shot: Beasts of Burden: What The Cat Dragged In by Evan Dorkin, Sarah Dyer and Jill Thompson (Dark Horse)
Best Anthology: Love Is Love, edited by Marc Andreyko, Sarah Gaydos and Jamie S. Rich.
The Russ Manning Promising Newcomer Award: Anne Szabla
Best New Series: Black Hammer by Jeff Lemire and Dean Ormston (Dark Horse)
Best Limited Series: The Vision by Tom King and Gabriel Walta (Marvel Entertainment)
Best Continuing Series: Saga by Brian K. Vaughan and Fiona Staples (Image Comics)
Best Graphic Album — Reprint: Demon by Jason Shiga (First Second)
Best Reality-Based Work: March Book Three by John Lewis, Andrew Aydin and Nate Powell (Top Shelf)
Best Graphic Album — New: Wonder Woman: The True Amazon by Jill Thompson (DC Entertainment)

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hea...ic-con-1023580

Old 07-23-2017, 06:56 AM   #714
Slade W
"Who Is Slade?"

I have been rereading Batman: Strange Apparitions for the first time in a long while, and it has been good so far.

Old 07-23-2017, 11:35 AM   #715
NDX
Walking with Elias.

I will say this for the new JL trailer, though, the new, brighter color palette makes it look better than the previous movies. I hope they keep that up, it could help the movies out a lot. But too many explosions still. The one thing I hated about WW was the DBZ ending.

That aside, just started reading 13 Coins illustrated by Simon Bisley. Normally I love his art, but it looks like he worked digitally for this book and that doesn't work quite as well as his illustrated or painted work. Something just feels real off with all of it.

Old 07-23-2017, 12:04 PM   #716
MMMMM...Pancakes
Cena Wins LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slade W View Post
Here are the winners of this years Eisner awards:

Best Lettering: Todd Klein, Clean Room, Dark Night, Lucifer (DC/Vertigo), Black Hammer (Dark Horse)
Best Digital Comic: Bandette by Paul Tobin and Colleen Coover (Monkeybrain/ComiXology)
Best Webcomic: Bird Boy by Anne Szabla
Best Writer: Brian K. Vaughan, Saga, Paper Girls (Image Comics)
Best Writer/Artist: Sonny Liew, The Art of Charlie Chan Hock Chye (Pantheon)
Best Cover Artist: Fiona Staples, Saga (Image Comics)
Best U.S. Edition of International Material: The Moebius Library: The World of Edena by Jean "Moebius" Gerald et al. (Dark Horse)
Best U.S. Edition of International Material (Asia): The Art of Charlie Chan Hock Chye Best Humor Publication: Jughead by Chip Zdarsky, Ryan North, Erica Henderson and Derek Charm (Archie)
The Bill Finger Award: William Messner-Loebs, Jack Kirby
Best Comics-Related Periodical/Journalism: The A.V. Club, by Oliver Save et al.
Best Comics-Related Book: Crazy: George Herriman, A Life In Black and White by Michael Tisserand (Harper)
Best Academic/Scholarly Work: Superwomen, Gender, Power and Representation by Carolyn Cocca (Bloomsbury)
Best Penciller/Inker: Fiona Staples, Saga (Image Comics)
Best Coloring: Matt Wilson, Cry Havoc, Paper Girls, The Wicked + The Divine (Image Comics), Black Widow, The Mighty Thor, Star-Lord (Marvel Entertainment)
Best Painter/Multimedia Artist: Jill Thompson, Wonder Woman: The True Amazon (DC Entertainment), Beasts of Burden: What The Cat Dragged In (Dark Horse)
The Bob Clampett Humanitarian Award: Joe Ferrera, Marc Andreyko
Best Publication for Early Readers (up to age 8): Narwhal, Unicorn of the Sea by Ben Clanton (Tundra)
Best Publication for Kids (ages 9-12): Ghosts by Raina Telgemeier (Scholastic)
Best Publication for Teens (ages 13-17): The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl by Ryan North and Erica Henderson (Marvel Entertainment)
The Will Eisner Hall of Fame: Milt Gross, H.G. Peter, Antonio Prohias, Dori Seda, Gilbert Hernandez, Jaime Hernandez, George Perez, Walter Simonson, Jim Starlin
The Spirit of Comics Retailer Award: Comicazi, Somerville MA
Best Archival Collection/Project — Strips: Dick Tracy: Colorful Cases of the 1930s edited by Peter Maresca (Sunday Press)
Best Archival Collection/Project — Comics: The Complete Wimmen's Comix edited by Trina Robbins, Gary Groth and J. Michael Catron (Fantagraphics)
Best Publication Design: The Art of Charlie Chan Hock Chye Best Short Story: "Good Boy" by Tom King and David Finch, Batman Annual No. 1 (DC Entertainment)
Best Single Issue/One-Shot: Beasts of Burden: What The Cat Dragged In by Evan Dorkin, Sarah Dyer and Jill Thompson (Dark Horse)
Best Anthology: Love Is Love, edited by Marc Andreyko, Sarah Gaydos and Jamie S. Rich.
The Russ Manning Promising Newcomer Award: Anne Szabla
Best New Series: Black Hammer by Jeff Lemire and Dean Ormston (Dark Horse)
Best Limited Series: The Vision by Tom King and Gabriel Walta (Marvel Entertainment)
Best Continuing Series: Saga by Brian K. Vaughan and Fiona Staples (Image Comics)
Best Graphic Album — Reprint: Demon by Jason Shiga (First Second)
Best Reality-Based Work: March Book Three by John Lewis, Andrew Aydin and Nate Powell (Top Shelf)
Best Graphic Album — New: Wonder Woman: The True Amazon by Jill Thompson (DC Entertainment)

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hea...ic-con-1023580
I just don't get the love for Saga and Brian K. Vaughn.

***Wrestling Thread***

Old 07-23-2017, 05:44 PM   #717
Lead Cenobite
Exquisitely Empty

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDX View Post
I find every recent DC film except Wonder Woman boring as hell. It's just disappointing. And yeah, I might be a Marvel guy at heart, but I grew up wearing out my Superman: The Movie and Superman II VHS tapes. So I wanted to like Man of Steel, but it was just so dull.

Even though I want to see Mamoa as Aquaman and what Wonder Woman does, I can't find it in me to give a **** about this movie.
Be careful, the DCEU fanboys will accuse you of not being able to let go of the past.

Lead Cenobite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 06:15 PM   #718
NDX
Walking with Elias.

Being a Danny Ketch Ghost Rider fan I absolutely can't let go of the past.

Superman 1 and 2 are flawed as hell, and moreso with every subsequent watch, but damn was Man of Steel just a cluster**** of boring action scenes when there were some. I liked Cavill in the Clark Kent role but the overall movie was just dull. And BVS was 3 hours too long.

Old 07-23-2017, 06:18 PM   #719
NDX
Walking with Elias.

Quote:
I just don't get the love for Saga and Brian K. Vaughn.
I like his work but there's much better out there. And Mike Del Mundo should have one for covers in a landslide.

Old 07-23-2017, 06:23 PM   #720
Lead Cenobite
Exquisitely Empty

It's like with some DCEU fanboys, they can't comprehend that people CAN dislike those movies without having ulterior motives, like being hung up on past interpretations of the characters. It's always blaming critics' and movie goers' dislike on being biased toward past interpretations of the characters. There's so much bitterness in that fanbase.

Personally, I'm always open to new interpretations of Superman, although I'll always be a fan of the Donner Superman movies. I'm probably a lot more open about Superman than I am Batman because I was always a more a fan of Burton's Batman than Batman in general.

Lead Cenobite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 10:23 PM   #721
Babillygunn
Tag team champion

Quote:
Loved it. I'm very excited. There have been some let downs such as BvS, (even though it wasn't nearly as bad as people claim, it was decent but should've been great) I still think the DCEU has potential. It is pretty well cast and has shown that it can be solid in the right hands. I think steppenwolf most likely is a good villain for this. And the trailer does seem very Justice League-ey to me. And the changes to characterizations, while big (at least in the cases of Arthur and Barry) look like they add to the movie.

Old 07-23-2017, 10:40 PM   #722
geetard
Rebirth

Went to my local library today and borrowed the first three volumes of The Wicked and the Divine (re-reading the first one because it's been a long time and don't remember much of the storyline).

Also borrowed the first volume of Lemire's Black Hammer and Moore's Swamp Thing vol. 2-3. Yes, I'll have quite a lot of reading to do when using public transit.

Old 07-23-2017, 10:41 PM   #723
NDX
Walking with Elias.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lead Cenobite View Post
It's like with some DCEU fanboys, they can't comprehend that people CAN dislike those movies without having ulterior motives, like being hung up on past interpretations of the characters. It's always blaming critics' and movie goers' dislike on being biased toward past interpretations of the characters. There's so much bitterness in that fanbase.

Personally, I'm always open to new interpretations of Superman, although I'll always be a fan of the Donner Superman movies. I'm probably a lot more open about Superman than I am Batman because I was always a more a fan of Burton's Batman than Batman in general.
I wanted so much to like Man of Steel but it started off on a sour note for me with the subdued color palette Snyder chose for the film. As much as I disliked him overall for years, I always saw Supes as a beacon of hope an him using bright, bold primary colors for his costume was an important aspect of presenting that. Seeing him look so pale was disappointing.

Then the never ending fight scenes were just too much. It was overkill. It was like watching an indie wrestling match with 37 false finishes. After a while it wears you down and you just can give a **** anymore, and the happened with MoS.

Last edited by NDX; 07-24-2017 at 06:09 AM.
Old 07-23-2017, 11:59 PM   #724
CaptainWagner
Bob Newby: Superhero

I for one loved the Justice League trailer and, comics wise, am very interested in The Terrifics and The Signal.

CaptainWagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 10:08 AM   #725
Slade W
"Who Is Slade?"

I enjoyed both the Justice League and Thor trailers.