The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > TV Series > Marvel's The Inhumans

View Poll Results: Are you excited about this show?
Yes 59 85.51%
No 10 14.49%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 07-13-2017, 07:55 PM   #626
Hellion
Here With Me, Eternally

Default Re: ABC's The Inhumans - General Discussion (news, updates, speculation...) - Part 1

I'm still reserving judgement until the show comes out. I can't wait, honestly. If I could see it in IMAX, I would.

I'm a big Disney XD Superhero Fan:
Aaron Stone (2009-2010) * Skyrunners (2009) * Lab Rats/Lab Rats: Bionic Island (2012-2016) * Mighty Med (2013-2015) * Lab Rats: Elite Force (2016) * Mech-X4 (2016-????)
Old 07-13-2017, 10:07 PM   #627
Dr. Evil
Side-Kick

Default Re: ABC's The Inhumans - General Discussion (news, updates, speculation...) - Part 1

Collider Heroes was discussing it today. Instead of outright rage like Matt Key had on Screen Junkies, John Schnepp felt disappointment at the trailer (although he did like Lockjaw) and hopes that the second one is going to be better.

Old 07-13-2017, 11:18 PM   #628
Wheels
Lethal Leap Year attendee
SHH! Global Moderator

I think the reason I had such a harsh reaction is because I never expected Marvel to put out something that looks this bad. I mean say what you want about Iron Fist and AoS, they've got nothing on this trailer in my opinion.

I’ll go out and I’ll find some more of that Mulan Szechuan teriyaki dipping sauce, Morty. Because that’s what this is all about, Morty. That’s my one-armed-man. I’m not driven by avenging my dead family, Morty. That was fake! I’m driven by finding that McNugget sauce. I want that McNugget sauce, Morty. That’s my series arc. If it takes nine seasons, I want my McNugget dipping sauce — Szechuan sauce, Morty.
-- Rick Sanchez
Old 07-14-2017, 05:48 AM   #629
Mike Murdock
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Evil View Post
Collider Heroes was discussing it today. Instead of outright rage like Matt Key had on Screen Junkies, John Schnepp felt disappointment at the trailer (although he did like Lockjaw) and hopes that the second one is going to be better.
Honestly, I don't get stronger reactions. Disappointment I can see. There are parts of the trailer I really love, but the only real excitement moment was Lockjaw (I wanted to be more excited with Black Bolt's voice, but the way it was cut or the way it was visually portrayed was underwhelming). For the most part, it's a very understated trailer for what I expect to be a show with a lot of talking. Inhumans are not generally over the top superheroics, which is why TV works better for them, but that doesn't make for an exciting trailer.

This is honestly Marvel's toughest property they've done so far in TV or film. The Guardians of the Galaxy are arguably weirder, but they also deliberately make fun of the fact that they're weird. Their weirdness is also of the adorable variety (Rocket and Groot) or drastically retconned from the comics (Drax). This is the first property that is saying "we're weird, but you should take us seriously." They also have two masters. Marvel Studios can make movies for themselves. They just have to make sure Bob Iger is OK with it. Jeph Loeb has to make sure that Perlmutter, Iger, ABC, and possibly IMAX are OK with the tone and direction. That's a tough thing to do.

In the end, I don't think this is a product that should be judged based on its trailers. Hell, I thought Iron Fist had an awesome trailer while I found Luke Cage's trailer to be underwhelming. Josh Macuga from Collider TV Talk talks about a three episode test If a show isn't good after three episodes, you can drop it. I know people that say one of their favorite shows ever was Spartacus, but the first two episodes are terrible. It took all the way to episode six of The Wire before I appreciated it. But I think it's possible for a good show to have a bad trailer, even if I'm extremely disappointed when I see a bad trailer.

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
Old 07-14-2017, 08:18 AM   #630
MbJ
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
I think the reason I had such a harsh reaction is because I never expected Marvel to put out something that looks this bad. I mean say what you want about Iron Fist and AoS, they've got nothing on this trailer in my opinion.
For me it was also the fact that this came at the worst possible time. When I see how colorful and out there the costumes and art direction in the Thor: Ragnarok and Black Panther trailers look, seeing how sterile and boring everything about the visuals in the Inhumans trailer looked made everything 10 times worse.

Old 07-14-2017, 06:33 PM   #631
TheComicbookKid
Swing n Miss

I just don't understand why they would go for IMAX unless the were going to bring the razzle dazzle. Are we supposed to be in awe of the minimalist IKEA furniture?

This also needed someone with Singers level of discipline if they were going to ground it or go full Kirby and look like Jupiter Ascending/ Valerian.

Old 07-15-2017, 12:04 AM   #632
Comicbookguy339
Side-Kick

I think when they announced IMAX they were going for something big and high-budget but then someone high up pulled the breaks on the budget, Scott Buck was hired to get it out fast and what we see now is the end result.

Old 07-16-2017, 05:22 PM   #633
samsnee
Side-Kick

So they originally announced this as a movie with possibly Vin Diesel starting. Then Agents of Shield did an Inhumans storyline. I wonder if after that happened, the movie division wasn't too happy which is how it got dropped from the movie schedule.

I mean, it felt like they were going to push Inhumans as their replacement for mutants at one point in time.

Old 07-16-2017, 05:59 PM   #634
Random490
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsnee View Post
So they originally announced this as a movie with possibly Vin Diesel starting. Then Agents of Shield did an Inhumans storyline. I wonder if after that happened, the movie division wasn't too happy which is how it got dropped from the movie schedule.

I mean, it felt like they were going to push Inhumans as their replacement for mutants at one point in time.
The movie division is not making decisions based on what the tv is doing. If it at all interfered with what Marvel Studios was planning it would have been stopped at the writing stage. For example, they originally planned Christine Palmer to be the night nurse in the Netflix shows but Marvel Studios already planned for her to be in Doctor Strange, so they prevented Netflix from it and they used Claire Temple for the role instead.

Likewise if Marvel Studios didn't want AoS to use Inhumans, then they wouldn't be able to use inhumans. The movies have the priority.

Old 07-17-2017, 02:25 AM   #635
Zant
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random490 View Post
The movie division is not making decisions based on what the tv is doing. If it at all interfered with what Marvel Studios was planning it would have been stopped at the writing stage. For example, they originally planned Christine Palmer to be the night nurse in the Netflix shows but Marvel Studios already planned for her to be in Doctor Strange, so they prevented Netflix from it and they used Claire Temple for the role instead.

Likewise if Marvel Studios didn't want AoS to use Inhumans, then they wouldn't be able to use inhumans. The movies have the priority.
Yup. The tv guys have to ask for permission first from their superior and Lord and Master (Marvel Studio) before they touch any Marvel character. I can only imagine how much that upsets Mr. Permutter.

Old 07-17-2017, 08:31 AM   #636
NotNickFury
Side-Kick

Not to mention that Carol Danvers was originally going to be on Jessica Jones, similar to Alias, but then the movie stuff happened.

Old 07-17-2017, 08:55 AM   #637
Zant
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotNickFury View Post
Not to mention that Carol Danvers was originally going to be on Jessica Jones, similar to Alias, but then the movie stuff happened.
That's interesting, never knew about that.

I wonder where Ms Marvel (Kamala) or Blade will end up....

Old 07-17-2017, 02:07 PM   #638
Random490
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zant View Post
Yup. The tv guys have to ask for permission first from their superior and Lord and Master (Marvel Studio) before they touch any Marvel character. I can only imagine how much that upsets Mr. Permutter.
I don't think Perlmutter really cares about what characters the tv guys can use. He cares far more about pinching pennies and making money than having creative input into projects. And while I'm sure he's butthurt over having no control over Marvel Studios he's also no longer responsible. Meaning if the films tank his position as CEO will be unchanged. As long as the films and shows make money he doesn't care which character is where. He wants Inhuman to grow so they can add to their merchandise. And if the Studios have no plans for it, then TV is the next best thing.

Also Marvel Studios isn't "Lord and Master" just a different department that has first priority. You make it sound like Loeb has to kneel before Feige and kiss his ring before begging for a character. Chances are it's one assistant emails another saying: "Are they using any of these characters? No? Great!"

Old 07-17-2017, 02:15 PM   #639
marcvader
Lurker #1
SHH! Global Moderator

The Vin Diesel fan speculation was purely fueled by Vin Diesel.

Twitter- @mrpink13
Old 07-18-2017, 02:00 PM   #640
Rorschach2012
Number One Guy

They need to stop doing Marvel tv shows. Just put the remaining heroes in movies..Blade could be a sweet Netflix series though... but I'd rather it have the movie budget

Old 07-18-2017, 05:10 PM   #641
metaphysician
Not a Side-Kick

Get the movie budget, get the movie runtime too. Everything is a tradeoff. Or, just because Inhumans was a bad idea to make into a ( sort of, not really ) TV series, doesn't mean its a bad idea to make the Nightstalkers into a TV series ( or a Netflix show, which is not really the same thing ).

Old 07-19-2017, 04:57 AM   #642
chamber-music
Infinity Ammo

CBS new Stark Trek show is technically a network show and looks like a higher quality production than this.

I think Scott Buck just lacks the imagination to do high concept fantasy entertainment like Inhumans and Iron Fist.
There are better showrunners/directors that can do incredibly creative things with very little money.

Old 07-19-2017, 05:18 AM   #643
Zant
Side-Kick

Inhumans Comic con panel tomorrow, I think. Hope they debut the season opener.

Old 07-19-2017, 05:48 AM   #644
Mike Murdock
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by chamber-music View Post
CBS new Stark Trek show is technically a network show and looks like a higher quality production than this.
We'll have to see the finished results (I agree about the trailer, but that doesn't say a lot in the long term). The rumored budget for the Star Trek show is appallingly low (like one million per episode) so, if it ends up looking as consistently good as in the trailer, you could color me impressed.

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
Old 07-19-2017, 06:21 AM   #645
eon001
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorschach2012 View Post
They need to stop doing Marvel tv shows. Just put the remaining heroes in movies..Blade could be a sweet Netflix series though... but I'd rather it have the movie budget
It's frustrating because it seems like Marvel Netflix are going out of there way to be do shows on a budget.

The lack of super jump sfx in Jessica Jones really pi$$ed me off because supergirl premiered the same time and she was flying every damn week!

Jessica Jones only had to do it twice in 13 episodes and they couldn't even manage that.

ABC and AoS seems to go all out with there sfx which is why I'm baffled by how horrible it looks. Besides Lockjaw. My only guess is that they just didn't have the time to dedicate to the show, because they certainly have the budget.

Old 07-19-2017, 06:33 AM   #646
eon001
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by chamber-music View Post

I think Scott Buck just lacks the imagination to do high concept fantasy entertainment like Inhumans and Iron Fist.
There are better showrunners/directors that can do incredibly creative things with very little money.
I agree with this. Network shows have given us CGI sharkmen and Gorillas in the flash. AoS had a flaming skull head that rivaled the movie version.

Budget isn't the problem. It's the lack of understanding of the material, and I also think the insanely small amount of time to to prepare has to play a factor.

They had less than a year to from announcement to delivering a show. This isn't a simple street level romance drama like Cloak and Dagger. It's Game of thrones meets Star Wars. You need ALOT of time to prepare for that.

Old 07-19-2017, 07:01 AM   #647
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themyscira

Scott Buck with the biggest budget in the world still wouldn't know what to do with it and would still give us something like this series. He just lacks the vision for anything.

Old 07-19-2017, 09:17 AM   #648
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themyscira

They're looking so much better than before.

Old 07-19-2017, 11:31 AM   #649
metaphysician
Not a Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Murdock View Post
We'll have to see the finished results (I agree about the trailer, but that doesn't say a lot in the long term). The rumored budget for the Star Trek show is appallingly low (like one million per episode) so, if it ends up looking as consistently good as in the trailer, you could color me impressed.
You tangentially made me look up Stargate SG-1. Apparently they averaged 1.7M per episode, and looked really good quality even years later. Granted, they played to their limits, but still.

Old 07-19-2017, 11:33 AM   #650
metaphysician
Not a Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by eon001 View Post
It's frustrating because it seems like Marvel Netflix are going out of there way to be do shows on a budget.

The lack of super jump sfx in Jessica Jones really pi$$ed me off because supergirl premiered the same time and she was flying every damn week!

Jessica Jones only had to do it twice in 13 episodes and they couldn't even manage that.

ABC and AoS seems to go all out with there sfx which is why I'm baffled by how horrible it looks. Besides Lockjaw. My only guess is that they just didn't have the time to dedicate to the show, because they certainly have the budget.
Eh, I am 100% certain that "lack of superjumps" was not a budget decision, but a creative one. Jessica Jones and Iron Fist are not analogous in any way.

Closed Thread