The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Misc. Comics Films

Old 07-16-2017, 10:27 PM   #26
kguillou
Side-Kick

Default Re: Cinematic Civil War:MCU vs DCCU - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

It is CRAZY how well WW is still doing. My local theater which only has four screens usually gets rid of films quick so it can make room for the newer stuff. WW is still there and still has a lot of showings....a MONTH AND A HALF LATER. Thats amazing.

kguillou is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 10:30 PM   #27
DarthSkywalker
May the Force Be With You

Default Re: Cinematic Civil War:MCU vs DCCU - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan1193 View Post

Crazy how a DC movie holds the record for both the highest 2nd weekend drop (BVS-69%) and the lowest drop (WW-43%). Curious to see where JL lands... Hopefully it's closer to the latter than the former!

Edit: Spider-Man Homecoming is between TDKR and Days of Future Past btw.
The difference between a quality movie in WW and what we got with BvS and SS. It is so much proof of how badly BvS and SS were received.

Old 07-16-2017, 10:31 PM   #28
NotSoLongAgo
#spidermansolit

There were too many dutch angles in thor

NotSoLongAgo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 10:32 PM   #29
DarthSkywalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kguillou View Post
It is CRAZY how well WW is still doing. My local theater which only has four screens usually gets rid of films quick so it can make room for the newer stuff. WW is still there and still has a lot of showings....a MONTH AND A HALF LATER. Thats amazing.
Outside of Spider-Man, DC has the most popular characters. They just need to deliver the movies. They finally do it, and look at how well WW is doing.

Old 07-16-2017, 10:53 PM   #30
Juan1193
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSkywalker View Post
The difference between a quality movie in WW and what we got with BvS and SS. It is so much proof of how badly BvS and SS were received.
BVS i agree with. I'm going to disagree with you on Suicide Squad. That movie was a huge financial success and took over pop culture for a cool minute. Plus it's legs were pretty decent or average for CBM's. I'm curious to see what a sequel would make, especially if it's really good.

WW is a phenomenon righ now! It just passed The Hunger Games in day to day comparisons and THG opened 49 million higher than her! Look for WW to finish around 408 million domestic like THG did, which would put in the same range as Civil War (408) and IM3 (409) Crazy huh?

7) Spider-Man 2 8)X2: X-Men United 9) X-Men: Days of Future Past
10)Guardians of the Galaxy
Juan1193 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 11:53 PM   #31
DarthSkywalker

Quote:
BVS i agree with. I'm going to disagree with you on Suicide Squad. That movie was a huge financial success and took over pop culture for a cool minute. Plus it's legs were pretty decent or average for CBM's. I'm curious to see what a sequel would make, especially if it's really good.

WW is a phenomenon righ now! It just passed The Hunger Games in day to day comparisons and THG opened 49 million higher than her! Look for WW to finish around 408 million domestic like THG did, which would put in the same range as Civil War (408) and IM3 (409) Crazy huh?
A 2.44 multiplier is not decent or average for a CBM. That is why it has a second weekend drop up with BvS, FF and Green Lantern.

Old 07-17-2017, 12:01 AM   #32
Sithborg
The new ewoks

But it clearly recovered, as it still got better mulitpliers than those. I would put that 2.44 as slightly below average.

Sithborg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 12:21 AM   #33
DarthSkywalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sithborg View Post
But it clearly recovered, as it still got better mulitpliers than those. I would put that 2.44 as slightly below average.
Did it "recover" or did the others just die completely? This isn't an AoU or Civil War situation, where it died going over 400m.

Old 07-17-2017, 12:37 AM   #34
StormC
Side-Kick

Saw Homecoming a second time, honestly think I loved it even more. This is probably in my top 3 Marvel movies now, just knocking off the Avengers. It's a near-perfect Spider-Man movie for me.

Also, I can't get over the Marvel Studios logo with the Spider-Man theme song playing and Spidey's Civil War footage popping up. Feels so good. Hope he gets splash art in upcoming movies like the other heroes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotSoLongAgo View Post
There were too many dutch angles in thor
Kenneth Branagh probably filmed it on his side.

StormC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 12:43 AM   #35
DarthSkywalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormC View Post
Saw Homecoming a second time, honestly think I loved it even more. This is probably in my top 3 Marvel movies now, just knocking off the Avengers. It's a near-perfect Spider-Man movie for me.

Also, I can't get over the Marvel Studios logo with the Spider-Man theme song playing and Spidey's Civil War footage popping up. Feels so good. Hope he gets splash art in upcoming movies like the other heroes.
What are your top 3 Storm?

Old 07-17-2017, 12:47 AM   #36
StormC
Side-Kick

Quote:
What are your top 3 Storm?
Civil War, Iron Man, and Homecoming. Rest is here.

Old 07-17-2017, 12:51 AM   #37
DarthSkywalker

Quote:
Civil War, Iron Man, and Homecoming. Rest is here.

Old 07-17-2017, 01:52 AM   #38
Juan1193
Side-Kick

Quote:
A 2.44 multiplier is not decent or average for a CBM. That is why it has a second weekend drop up with BvS, FF and Green Lantern.
Civil War had worse legs than Suicide Squad with a 2.28 multiplier and it had a large 2nd weekend drop (59.5%) too. Just saying

I consider SS a financial success but a critical failure, which is why we are getting a sequel with a new creative team.

Old 07-17-2017, 02:03 AM   #39
DarthSkywalker

Quote:
Civil War had worse legs than Suicide Squad with a 2.28 multiplier and it had a large 2nd weekend drop (59.5%) too. Just saying

I consider SS a financial success but a critical failure, which is why we are getting a sequel with a new creative team.
Civil War made it to 400m. Did SS make it to 400m? It didn't even make it to BvS number, which had under a 2 multiplier.

Old 07-17-2017, 02:13 AM   #40
Osiris-Rex
Head-Kick

Quote:

It's more that David Ayer wanted to do the Gotham City Sirens movie instead and so that's why Suicide Squad 2 is getting a new writer and director. If WB had to wait
until Gotham City Sirens was done so Ayer could direct Suicide Sqaud 2 it would be too many years into the future. Obviously WB still has faith in Ayer or he wouldn't be
directing Gotham City Sirens.

Osiris-Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 02:26 AM   #41
Osiris-Rex
Head-Kick

Quote:
Civil War made it to 400m. Did SS make it to 400m? It didn't even make it to BvS number, which had under a 2 multiplier.
Suicide Squad had a 2.44 multiplier
Batman v Superman had a 1.99
CA: Civil War has a 2.28

So Suicide Squad had the highest multiplier.

(Wonder Woman is a 3.70 so far)

Osiris-Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 02:37 AM   #42
Juan1193
Side-Kick

Quote:
Yeah but Civil War also opened 47 million higher than SS. BVS also opened 33 million higher than SS yet only grossed 5 million more....

FYI both TDK and TDKR opened around 20 million LESS than Civi War respectively yet both ended up with a higher domestic total (sans 3D no less) by a wide margin! Hell Wonder Woman, a movie that opened 77 million less than Civil War now has a chance at surpasing it!

If you're going to say SS had horrible legs and a horrible multiplier then you should do the same for Civil War. I mean it's only fair considering 2.44 > 2.28

Old 07-17-2017, 02:58 AM   #43
StormC
Side-Kick

Civil War had the worst legs of any MCU movie.

Suicide Squad was a financial success in spite of well, everything. So was Civil War. Legs aren't super important if the end total is strong.

CW also indicated that Marvel was going to start playing like Potter movies where it becomes heavily frontloaded on opening weekend with fans flocking to it, then dropping like a rock. We're seeing this right now with Homecoming as well. On the other hand, when a movie like BVS drops like a rock, despite only having one movie before it, that's a bigger problem and indicative of its reception more than anything.

Old 07-17-2017, 09:21 AM   #44
Kreem Pi
Side-Kick

I've said it before as well. MCU has become more like Harry Potter in that it has accrued a dedicated following that will show up in big numbers in the first weekend and then taper off.

Kreem Pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 09:25 AM   #45
hafizbat
Wild Cherry

Quote:
Civil War had the worst legs of any MCU movie.

Suicide Squad was a financial success in spite of well, everything. So was Civil War. Legs aren't super important if the end total is strong.

CW also indicated that Marvel was going to start playing like Potter movies where it becomes heavily frontloaded on opening weekend with fans flocking to it, then dropping like a rock. We're seeing this right now with Homecoming as well. On the other hand, when a movie like BVS drops like a rock, despite only having one movie before it, that's a bigger problem and indicative of its reception more than anything.
Yes, and a nice contrast to that is Ant-Man, who isn't a big draw but the movie was well-liked and the legs were solid.

hafizbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 09:52 AM   #46
Sithborg
The new ewoks

Quote:
Did it "recover" or did the others just die completely? This isn't an AoU or Civil War situation, where it died going over 400m.
It made it to $325, which is hardly a bad take. Remember, last year was really weird at the box office, with most of the big blockbusters either making $300+ or doing less than $200. I think Doctor Strange in November was the first to finish in the $200 range.

Old 07-17-2017, 10:49 AM   #47
DA_Champion
Side-Kick

Why did Civil War have such bad legs?

Did a few other good movies come out just after?

DA_Champion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 10:58 AM   #48
Zarex
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DA_Champion View Post

It was the second big "heroes fighting heroes" flick of the year, and the fact that BvS was so poorly received probably didn't help motivate folks to get to the theaters.

And there were an awful lot of references to prior films (IM, TIH, IM2, CA:TFA, TA, IM3, CA:TWS, A:AOU, AM) that made it difficult for newbies to jump in. In that regard it was similar to later films in the Harry Potter series which cratered after the opening weekend. I brought a friend who hadn't seen any other MCU films (crazy, huh?) and spend 5 minutes or so trying to explain what happened to these characters in prior installments before eventually giving up.

Zarex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 11:30 AM   #49
Sithborg
The new ewoks

Quote:
Originally Posted by DA_Champion View Post

Well, when you are releasing so many movies, the demand to see one multiple times lessens. It is essentially fatigue. The initial demand is still there. But the demand to see it multiple times is not.

Old 07-17-2017, 12:01 PM   #50
Kahran Ramsus
Side-Kick

You also have the typical sequel problem in that the audience knows what to expect at this point, so fans go out and see them right away but people who don't care for them don't bother.

Basically much like practically every long-running franchise or series, the MCU has reached a point where they are not creating new fans.

As for what they can do about that? Nothing. There is nothing they can do short of shelving the whole thing for 15-20 years before they reboot/re-launch it for a new generation (like the current Star Wars films). It is simply the nature of sequels.

Last edited by Kahran Ramsus; 07-17-2017 at 12:04 PM.
Kahran Ramsus is offline   Reply With Quote