The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Marvel Films

Closed Thread

Old 07-16-2017, 04:08 PM   #226
Panacea
Side-Kick

Default Re: The Rebooted "Keep Hope Alive" (that the rights can revert back to Marvel) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
Marvel cannot make a Hulk solo without Universal agreeing to it. [...]
Yes they can. Universal just has first option on distribution. I suspect Marvel are trying to make out like Universal are being unreasonable, but really it's Disney refusing to make one because they wouldn't make quite as much money.

Old 07-16-2017, 04:24 PM   #227
ADollarADay
Side-Kick

Default Re: The Rebooted "Keep Hope Alive" (that the rights can revert back to Marvel) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panacea View Post
Yes they can. Universal just has first option on distribution. I suspect Marvel are trying to make out like Universal are being unreasonable, but really it's Disney refusing to make one because they wouldn't make quite as much money.
Being very loose, Disney could easily offer 12% to Universal for the TIH 2 and 3 or 150MM, whichever is higher to take over distribution rights of future Hulk movies and get distribution rights to TIH. No brainer for Universal because they wouldn't even spend money distributing (Buena Vista would) and they would get credit and a lot of money for it.

Disney wants theme park rights at WDW, it's pretty obvious especially now that they are creating a super hero land at Disney California. That's the real roadblock. Getting distribution rights to Hulk would be easy if the mouse really wanted it.

Old 07-16-2017, 04:37 PM   #228
Spider-Fan
SHHFFL 2014 Champion
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
They can make it, but what good is that if no one can SEE it. Hence why Universal needs to say yes. Universal has the distribution rights to Hulk. Disney cannot distribute a Hulk movie.

Old 07-16-2017, 05:36 PM   #229
wobbly
Occasional Scribbler

Quote:
They can make it, but what good is that if no one can SEE it. Hence why Universal needs to say yes. Universal has the distribution rights to Hulk. Disney cannot distribute a Hulk movie.
As I understand it they have 'first refusal'. That means Disney must offer a Hulk solo film to Universal to distribute at whatever % the 2008 deal specifies.

Should they refuse that option (and they sure as hell wouldn't turn down easy money ) Disney would be free to distribute the film themselves.

Old 07-16-2017, 05:45 PM   #230
Spider-Fan
SHHFFL 2014 Champion
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wobbly View Post
As I understand it they have 'first refusal'. That means Disney must offer a Hulk solo film to Universal to distribute at whatever % the 2008 deal specifies.

Should they refuse that option (and they sure as hell wouldn't turn down easy money ) Disney would be free to distribute the film themselves.
If that was the case, then why have they just not made one and why is Universal said to be the road block? Thats not how distribution rights work. If Marvel could just make it and distribute once they say no, then there is no roadblock and this would have been made by now.

Last edited by Spider-Fan; 07-16-2017 at 05:50 PM.
Old 07-16-2017, 06:21 PM   #231
Zarex
Side-Kick

Quote:
If that was the case, then why have they just not made one and why is Universal said to be the road block? Thats not how distribution rights work. If Marvel could just make it and distribute once they say no, then there is no roadblock and this would have been made by now.
It appears as though Disney/Marvel is unwilling to do a Hulk solo that a competing studio would distribute, and the two sides have been unable to come to terms on an agreement to transfer those rights.

Universal has had the live action rights to Banner dating back to the 70s. Their Florida theme park has a major coaster themed to the big guy, and 2008s Hulk MCU entry is prominently featured in their Hollywood Theme Park's special effects show. It doesn't surprise me that Comcast is driving a very hard bargain on this.

Last edited by Zarex; 07-16-2017 at 06:25 PM.
Old 07-16-2017, 06:22 PM   #232
Panacea
Side-Kick

Quote:
If that was the case, then why have they just not made one and why is Universal said to be the road block?
As far as I know until now they never have been. We've always known that Universal have the distribution rights but Disney doesn't want to make a movie they can't distribute themselves. Universal had no problem working with Marvel Studios to make The Incredible Hulk, so there's no reason to assume they wouldn't be open to more movies now. I'm sure it's been explained to Ruffalo as Universal not being willing to play ball, but then, Disney would say that wouldn't they?

Old 07-16-2017, 07:03 PM   #233
Willie Lumpkin
Trophy Husband

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vader's Fist View Post
https://www.yahoo.com/movies/marvel-...050214060.html

Yet another debunk. Honestly, I'm wondering if we should all just give up and move on with our lives. At this point, though, the person I feel the most sympathy for is Stan Lee. Chances are he's going to depart this world seeing his greatest creation treated like something a dog left on a footpath.
Personally, I love it. Based on Feige's recent comments, I already knew Fox still had the rights. But I love that the fans are still hoping and still pressing Feige and forcing him to respond. There's no ambiguity and it's no secret that there's still a gaping hole left in the MCU. Feige is doing a great job, but his job's not done until the FF and related characters are home.

Every time a key Marvel person (and there are none more key than Feige) mentions FF, it assures me I'm not a lone voice screaming in the wilderness.

Last edited by Willie Lumpkin; 07-16-2017 at 07:08 PM.
Old 07-16-2017, 07:08 PM   #234
InCali
I'm getting a pUpgrade!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymes_e06 View Post
That article is failing to mention overall summer box office for the year has been substantialy lower than last with the exception of WW and Guardians V2. I hope it still ends up doing well though overall. It just kind of stings with all it had stacked in it's favor.

Yeah and if you knew what I meant then why ask the question? Clearly you were trying to be a smart ass. Continue to play the victim I digress.
It's SH fatigue I tell you.....SH fatigue.....why will no one listen??? By next year IW will get about 500M WW.

www.cloudvistas.com
Old 07-16-2017, 07:11 PM   #235
Spiderine
Sho nuff

Quote:
As far as I know until now they never have been. We've always known that Universal have the distribution rights but Disney doesn't want to make a movie they can't distribute themselves. Universal had no problem working with Marvel Studios to make The Incredible Hulk, so there's no reason to assume they wouldn't be open to more movies now. I'm sure it's been explained to Ruffalo as Universal not being willing to play ball, but then, Disney would say that wouldn't they?
Exactly

I am sure Ruffalo was just told they can't make it because of a rights issue with Universal. End of discussion.

Old 07-16-2017, 07:12 PM   #236
jaymes_e06
Super Member pun intended

@Willie: You and me both brother! It will be so nice to see these characters finally done the justice they deserve to have. Doom in the MCU would make it feel so much more complete.

I feel it's both sides though so it's unfair for Fox executives never being pressed or asked these questions but Feige who always gets grilled.

THEPro cras tinator
Site: https://hampton6blog.wordpress.com/

Last edited by jaymes_e06; 07-16-2017 at 07:15 PM.
Old 07-16-2017, 07:23 PM   #237
Flint Marko
"Underoos!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Lumpkin View Post
Personally, I love it. Based on Feige's recent comments, I already knew Fox still had the rights. But I love that the fans are still hoping and still pressing Feige and forcing him to respond. There's no ambiguity and it's no secret that there's still a gaping hole left in the MCU. Feige is doing a great job, but his job's not done until the FF and related characters are home.

Every time a key Marvel person (and there are none more key than Feige) mentions FF, it assures me I'm not a lone voice screaming in the wilderness.
You ain't alone. I love how this is one of the most consistently active places on the hype. You said it best, there's a gaping hole in the MCU. They would likely nail Dr. Doom and Silver Surfer. I'm still salty that Fox wouldn't allow him to appear in Infinity War. It sucks but... we got the daredevil Netflix series out of it. That's a nice silver lining.

Homecoming - 7.7.2017
Old 07-16-2017, 07:34 PM   #238
Zarex
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymes_e06 View Post
I feel it's both sides though so it's unfair for Fox executives never being pressed or asked these questions but Feige who always gets grilled.
Kinberg occasionally fields questions, and his answers are what you would expect from the Writer/Producer/Co-Director of FFINO.
http://collider.com/fantastic-four-2...inberg/#images

Old 07-16-2017, 08:09 PM   #239
DyfeddRex
Side-Kick

hmmmmmm. Okay, back to listening to coast2coast overnites, just in case the aliens heard Fiege's offer to let them get jobs here on earth.

Old 07-16-2017, 09:36 PM   #240
DyfeddRex
Side-Kick

I mean, if we need a wall for Mexico, think about how much the dome the right-wingers will demand if we lose all those jobs to illegal space aliens... While that might force Fiege to let us have an MCU FF, the cost... boggles the mind. Not to mention, what the heck forms will have to be created, and what category of work visa will that fall under?

But, seriously, if the aliens come, will he really hire them, and if so, will they use the savings at the house of mouse to get the FF back from Faux?

Old 07-16-2017, 11:48 PM   #241
ADollarADay
Side-Kick

Quote:

I like your optimism, but anything of the nature of acquiring/reacquiring IPs/licenses is above Feige's pay grade. Feige now has more say than before and even back then he was having talks with other executives and start the trade, but the final say is up to the main suits. As the Sony leaked email showed us, Pascal and IIRC Feige had some talks, but when push came to shove and it was time to get the deal done, it was Perlmutter emailing Lynton and then getting Iger and Hirai involved. I have no doubt that Iger and Murdoch would have to get involved at some point with possibly Horn and Snider before that.

One good (or bad) thing is that Stacy Snider just took over as CEO of 20th Century Fox. Some change from the previous CEO can be a good thing...or not lol

Old 07-17-2017, 12:06 AM   #242
Willie Lumpkin
Trophy Husband

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADollarADay View Post
I like your optimism, but anything of the nature of acquiring/reacquiring IPs/licenses is above Feige's pay grade. Feige now has more say than before and even back then he was having talks with other executives and start the trade, but the final say is up to the main suits. As the Sony leaked email showed us, Pascal and IIRC Feige had some talks, but when push came to shove and it was time to get the deal done, it was Perlmutter emailing Lynton and then getting Iger and Hirai involved. I have no doubt that Iger and Murdoch would have to get involved at some point with possibly Horn and Snider before that.

One good (or bad) thing is that Stacy Snider just took over as CEO of 20th Century Fox. Some change from the previous CEO can be a good thing...or not lol
It's not his decision, but he has to be the one saying: "I want it."

Upper management won't consider dealing for it unless he's pushing.

I sort of suspect he's been asking for it for a long time, but management says: "No. We're not paying. Figure out how to work around it."

...and if that's the case, I hope he continues to be as big a pest to upper management as we continue to be to him.

Old 07-17-2017, 12:14 AM   #243
Willie Lumpkin
Trophy Husband

... And things like this latest rumor are perfect ammunition for him to take to management and say: "See? Fans REALLY want this. This is worth the price Fox is asking. "

Old 07-17-2017, 12:17 AM   #244
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Hulk works better as a supporting character.

Look guys, The Incredible Hulk did not do very well. If it did, they would've moved quicker on making more Hulk films. That didn't happen. I'm sure the rights entanglement will get worked out eventually. A new Hulk film will be made at some point, but that will probably be when Ruffalo is no longer playing the Hulk.

There aren't really any latest rumors really. It's all just fan speculation of fans wishing Marvel would get the rights back when nothing has been going on.

- CM Punk

Last edited by TheVileOne; 07-17-2017 at 01:26 AM.
Old 07-17-2017, 01:25 AM   #245
Jordacar
The Endless One

The only reason to make a new solo Hulk movie is to introduce She-Hulk. That's it. And at this point in the game, her story wouldn't run parallel to her cousin, but would more likely wind up as the successor. I don't really have a problem with that, I just don't see it happening any other way.

That being said, it would be a pity if Thing never got a chance to test his might against the jolly green.

Old 07-17-2017, 05:22 AM   #246
Zarex
Side-Kick

Quote:
... And things like this latest rumor are perfect ammunition for him to take to management and say: "See? Fans REALLY want this. This is worth the price Fox is asking. "
Its an easy sell. Here's my pitch to Iger:

"A Fantastic Four teaser in the post credit scene of Avengers 4 would generate the kind of excitement we saw with the Avengers teaser after CA:TFA. It is essential that we get folks invested in the MCU after wrapping up the storylines for so many fan favorite characters, and the FF in the MCU is the only Marvel property that can accomplish that.

There's no guarantee that a rebooted FF franchise would have the success of a Guardians, especially after FOX's total evisceration of the property over the past decade. But the combination of heroes, villains and supporting characters can lead us into another wildly successful decade of the MCU. MAKE THE DEAL"

Old 07-17-2017, 05:47 AM   #247
Willie Lumpkin
Trophy Husband

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVileOne View Post

There aren't really any latest rumors really.
There are two latest rumors:

1. The Avengers building in NYC was bought by Reed Richards.
2. The four figures under cover at the D23 were the FF.

There was zero reason to believe either of those actually indicated Marvel got the rights back, but the fact that fans jumped on those things to the point Feige had to react to the second one shows how much fans want Marvel to get these characters back.

And that's important. If fans were apathetic, Marvel would have little motivation to make something happen.

But we're not apathetic and we want to see the holes in the MCU filled in and we want an MCU with Reed Richards, Dr. Doom, Galactus, Silver Surfer, Annihilus, Kang, Mephisto etc. and we won't stop until they're where they should be.

Old 07-17-2017, 06:22 AM   #248
Stark Bauer
Wants 2b cast as Darkhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint Marko View Post
You ain't alone. I love how this is one of the most consistently active places on the hype. You said it best, there's a gaping hole in the MCU. They would likely nail Dr. Doom and Silver Surfer. I'm still salty that Fox wouldn't allow him to appear in Infinity War. It sucks but... we got the daredevil Netflix series out of it. That's a nice silver lining.
Speaking of the Devil (DareDevil), I think it would be such a waste for him to stay only in the Netflix series. Marvel are keeping him (and the rest of the Defenders) hostage for absolutely no reason.

I'm sure they could pull off a cameo very easily in one of the Avengers sequels or a potential Secret Wars movie. Heck, even an appearance in a Spider-Man sequel since they tend to bump into each other in the comics quite frequently.

The refusal for Marvel Studios film division and TV division to cooperate is equally as frustrating if not more so than the Fantastic Four rights.

I just hope that Daredevil, Iron Fist, Punisher, Kingpin make an appearance in Phase 4 or one of the next MCU film adaptations of Blade, Ghost Rider or Moon Knight.

The rights HAVE reverted. They just need to find a way for it to work. Infinity War has opened the door to that opportunity.

Love is the only force capable of transforming an enemy into a friend.” - MLK
Old 07-17-2017, 06:26 AM   #249
Stark Bauer
Wants 2b cast as Darkhawk

Quote:

I believe that Marvel Studios is watching this thread. If WHEN they get the FF rights back, this thread should get an honourable mention as to the most vocal and stalwart group who pushed for The First Family to return home.

Love is the only force capable of transforming an enemy into a friend.” - MLK
Old 07-17-2017, 07:26 AM   #250
Crimz
Side-Kick

If FOX announces anything FF during SDCC then I hope they are booed heavily. They need to be constantly reminded that people don't want a FOX FF at all, if they won't mention the FF then I hope someone asks a question about them and if there response is along the lines of "we are committed to the characters blah blah blah" then commence the boos. Make it completely clear that there is only one way people will watch the FF and it's not with FOX.

Last edited by Crimz; 07-17-2017 at 07:30 AM.
Closed Thread