The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Thor > Thor: The Dark World

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2013, 10:42 AM   #151
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant
 
pr0xyt0xin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: United States
Posts: 7,157
Default Re: Thor 2 Dark World news, speculation and pictures possible Spoilers - - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucienlc View Post
Very positive review from what sounds like a comic book fan rather than an official critic type. No spoilers in the full review, if one is spoiler-averse:

"The main things I took away from this film was that Thor and Loki’s relationship stole the film, Jane Foster was not just Thor’s love interest, it explained so much about the past films and the humour which I thought at first was a bit too much but once my critic style mind had relaxed I laughed and I enjoyed the film even more than Thor. Definitely go see this film, best film I’ve seen this year. Sorry Superman."

http://www.worldofsuperheroes.com/fi...-world-review/
What does it mean "not just thor's love interest?"

__________________
Black Panther 8.5 | Avengers: Infinity War 10.0 | Deadpool 2 8.0 | Ant-Man and the Wasp 8.5 | Venom X.X | Aquaman X.X

Tradition is just dead people's baggage.
pr0xyt0xin is offline  
Old 10-25-2013, 10:45 AM   #152
Rock Sexton
Banned User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Somewhere in the Southwest
Posts: 9,139
Default Re: Thor 2 Dark World news, speculation and pictures possible Spoilers - - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjölnir View Post
I'm happy with that as Thor and Loki is the best duo in any comic book movie imo, and I expect that Hemsworth and Hiddleston can take their characters to new heights both with this new dynamic and with so much experience playing them.
What you have to be excited for is the fact that you're not hearing about Loki-burnout from these reviews. If anyone was going to harbor any concerns, it would've been for that. I mean think about it ..... we had him in Thor and then the Avengers. This is his third go-round.

Yet, here we are ..... reviewers are loving Loki. I'd argue that right now on the MCU hierarchy, RDJ still sits No.1 ...... but Hiddleston is arguably No.2 ..... that says a lot man. They have a great character and a great actor portraying him. The trick for them was to figure out how to keep blending him into the story, while also adding some new challenges going on around them.

Rock Sexton is offline  
Old 10-25-2013, 10:48 AM   #153
lucienlc
Newbie First Class
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 23
Default Re: Thor 2 Dark World news, speculation and pictures possible Spoilers - - -

What does it mean "not just thor's love interest?"

I haven't seen it either, so I can only speculate that it may be that she also functions as a scientist in the movie.

lucienlc is offline  
Old 10-25-2013, 10:48 AM   #154
Lord
All Mighty
 
Lord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 15,505
Default Re: Thor 2 Dark World news, speculation and pictures possible Spoilers - - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by pr0xyt0xin View Post
What does it mean "not just thor's love interest?"
It means she was Loki's love interest too

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by childeroland View Post
Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
~*SHH SIX*~
Lord is offline  
Old 10-25-2013, 10:52 AM   #155
Mjölnir
Blunt instrument
 
Mjölnir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Sweden
Posts: 6,016
Default Re: Thor 2 Dark World news, speculation and pictures possible Spoilers - - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Sexton View Post
What you have to be excited for is the fact that you're not hearing about Loki-burnout from these reviews. If anyone was going to harbor any concerns, it would've been for that. I mean think about it ..... we had him in Thor and then the Avengers. This is his third go-round.

Yet, here we are ..... reviewers are loving Loki. I'd argue that right now on the MCU hierarchy, RDJ still sits No.1 ...... but Hiddleston is arguably No.2 ..... that says a lot man. They have a great character and a great actor portraying him. The trick for them was to figure out how to keep blending him into the story, while also adding some new challenges going on around them.
That's true that it could have been an issue, even though it didn't occur to me any more than I'd be tired of any of the lead role characters in the MCU.

They have to ride the success of Tom's portrayal but I also think that it's very true that Thor and Loki are like Yin and Yang. You don't have to have Loki with Thor every time but I'd still go so far as to say that they need each other. Loki is as iconic for Thor as the Joker is for Batman imo.

Mjölnir is offline  
Old 10-25-2013, 10:54 AM   #156
hitmanyr2k
Resident Lurker
 
hitmanyr2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 3,542
Default Re: Thor 2 Dark World news, speculation and pictures possible Spoilers - - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucienlc View Post
Lurker delurking. It seems odd to have the world premiere (and hence spoilers, reviews, etc.) so far in advance of the actual opening. It's also bizarre to me that they're opening it a week later in the US compared with the rest of the world, and that it does not appear to be on IMAX at all in the US, so far as I can tell. It seems to me that Marvel initially at least must not have had much respect/confidence in Thor TDW. It sounds like a quintessential summer movie, yet it's opening in the dark movie days of early November; they shoehorned it in between Ender's Game and Hunger Games 2, like they were afraid to compete with either (Hunger Games 2 I understand, but I'll be surprised if TDW doesn't beat out Ender's Game in box office). Probably their lack of confidence arose from the mish-mash that was the original script, revolving door of directors, and just a view of Thor as the weak sister of the superhero movies. I'm hoping that this movie's reception by fans and critics alike will make them all look silly.
It's not really surprising that TDW is opening overseas first. The worldwide market is more lucrative than the domestic market these days. Studios want to make their money abroad first since piracy is so rampant there.

__________________
The Crow: Descent

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
hitmanyr2k is offline  
Old 10-25-2013, 10:55 AM   #157
lucienlc
Newbie First Class
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 23
Default Re: Thor 2 Dark World news, speculation and pictures possible Spoilers - - -

"This illustrates my point about when they went into post-production. It's within that process that the Thor/Loki dynamic became more interesting to Taylor than the Thor vs. Malekith. That is why they went back and added scenes for Loki."

Or it may be that after seeing how intense and rabid the Hiddleston fanbase has become, in addition to how well those scenes seemed to work in the dailies, the decision was made to add more. There were also other rumors as to why the additional scenes were shot.

Btw, from the review I cited above, here's the guy's take on Malekith. It doesn't sound like he was particularly familiar with Malekith from the comics, which must have impacted his impression:
"Malekith, is a typical alien nutjob who wants to cause destruction and chaos and doesn’t care who stands in his way. I thought Christopher Eccelston did a fantastic job being a baddy. Even though you could hardly tell it was him with all the fantastic make-up they used."
"

lucienlc is offline  
Old 10-25-2013, 10:55 AM   #158
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant
 
pr0xyt0xin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: United States
Posts: 7,157
Default Re: Thor 2 Dark World news, speculation and pictures possible Spoilers - - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjölnir View Post
That's true that it could have been an issue, even though it didn't occur to me any more than I'd be tired of any of the lead role characters in the MCU.

They have to ride the success of Tom's portrayal but I also think that it's very true that Thor and Loki are like Yin and Yang. You don't have to have Loki with Thor every time but I'd still go so far as to say that they need each other. Loki is as iconic for Thor as the Joker is for Batman imo.
I hesitate to say, but probably more integral to Thor. Loki is more than just Thor's nemesis. He's more than a villain. He's a supporting character that just so happens to cause 90% of the mayhem in Thor's life.

Loki is to Thor what Alfred and Joker combined would be to Batman.

__________________
Black Panther 8.5 | Avengers: Infinity War 10.0 | Deadpool 2 8.0 | Ant-Man and the Wasp 8.5 | Venom X.X | Aquaman X.X

Tradition is just dead people's baggage.
pr0xyt0xin is offline  
Old 10-25-2013, 11:06 AM   #159
Rock Sexton
Banned User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Somewhere in the Southwest
Posts: 9,139
Default Re: Thor 2 Dark World news, speculation and pictures possible Spoilers - - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucienlc View Post
"This illustrates my point about when they went into post-production. It's within that process that the Thor/Loki dynamic became more interesting to Taylor than the Thor vs. Malekith. That is why they went back and added scenes for Loki."

Or it may be that after seeing how intense and rabid the Hiddleston fanbase has become, in addition to how well those scenes seemed to work in the dailies, the decision was made to add more. There were also other rumors as to why the additional scenes were shot.

Btw, from the review I cited above, here's the guy's take on Malekith. It doesn't sound like he was particularly familiar with Malekith from the comics, which must have impacted his impression:
"Malekith, is a typical alien nutjob who wants to cause destruction and chaos and doesn’t care who stands in his way. I thought Christopher Eccelston did a fantastic job being a baddy. Even though you could hardly tell it was him with all the fantastic make-up they used."
"
Well it's no secret he has a big fanbase ..... but that was already well-known before they hit the editing process. So the scenes they added were for story-telling purposes, not because somehow the GA walked into the room and strong-armed them.

It's good to see more quotes about "how" Eccleston portrayed Malekith. A good portion of the early reviews didn't elaborate, they just quickly mentioned he lacked an elaborate motive.

Rock Sexton is offline  
Old 10-25-2013, 11:31 AM   #160
lucienlc
Newbie First Class
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 23
Default Re: Thor 2 Dark World news, speculation and pictures possible Spoilers - - -

Quote:
Well it's no secret he has a big fanbase ..... but that was already well-known before they hit the editing process. So the scenes they added were for story-telling purposes, not because somehow the GA walked into the room and strong-armed them.
I don't know about that. Don't open the spoilery part below if you don't want to be spoiled. VERY SPOILERY

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
There were serious rumors that Loki was killed off in the movie. I read a commentary from someone in July who sounded very much in the know: "Yeah, at the end of Thor: The Dark World, Loki eats it. (Don’t yell at me, you were warned up top.) And it actually plays really well. His arc builds to it, there’s a particular poetic justice in the specific method used, and it feels like an earned and justified conclusion to his plotline since his world fell apart in Thor. It isn’t cheap and it’s one of the most emotional moments in any Marvel movie so far. It feels like a proper goodbye. It feels finite." http://www.laineygossip.com/Lokis-fu...universe/27575 (from July, one week after SDCC) The article goes on to say that Marvel now changed its mind and Loki is going to survive.

From what we now know - those of us who have been spoiled - it sounds like that still happens, BUT Loki somehow survives anyway. I know that some of the reshoots involved Tom and Anthony Hopkins: "It’s pretty common these days for movies to end up tacking on some additional shoots or reshooting a scene or two that doesn’t seem to work. Considering the massive budgets of some of these films, it’s a better idea than crossing your fingers and hoping that everything turns out for the best. Now, Thor 2: The Dark World is the latest to put some last minute icing on their super hero cake. According to director Alan Taylor, they’re cleaning up some character relationships and even bringing a bit more Tom Hiddleston and Anthony Hopkins into the mix." http://nerdbastards.com/2013/08/12/a...and-more-loki/

So I'm not at all sure that they merely added more storytelling scenes. Esp since I don't recall hearing anything about Chris H being called back for reshoots.

lucienlc is offline  
Old 10-25-2013, 11:51 AM   #161
Feenix
Banned User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: German by birth
Posts: 3,629
Default Re: Thor 2 Dark World news, speculation and pictures possible Spoilers - - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucienlc View Post
I don't know about that. Don't open the spoilery part below if you don't want to be spoiled. VERY SPOILERY

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
There were serious rumors that Loki was killed off in the movie. I read a commentary from someone in July who sounded very much in the know: "Yeah, at the end of Thor: The Dark World, Loki eats it. (Don’t yell at me, you were warned up top.) And it actually plays really well. His arc builds to it, there’s a particular poetic justice in the specific method used, and it feels like an earned and justified conclusion to his plotline since his world fell apart in Thor. It isn’t cheap and it’s one of the most emotional moments in any Marvel movie so far. It feels like a proper goodbye. It feels finite." http://www.laineygossip.com/Lokis-fu...universe/27575 (from July, one week after SDCC) The article goes on to say that Marvel now changed its mind and Loki is going to survive.

From what we now know - those of us who have been spoiled - it sounds like that still happens, BUT Loki somehow survives anyway. I know that some of the reshoots involved Tom and Anthony Hopkins: "It’s pretty common these days for movies to end up tacking on some additional shoots or reshooting a scene or two that doesn’t seem to work. Considering the massive budgets of some of these films, it’s a better idea than crossing your fingers and hoping that everything turns out for the best. Now, Thor 2: The Dark World is the latest to put some last minute icing on their super hero cake. According to director Alan Taylor, they’re cleaning up some character relationships and even bringing a bit more Tom Hiddleston and Anthony Hopkins into the mix." http://nerdbastards.com/2013/08/12/a...and-more-loki/

So I'm not at all sure that they merely added more storytelling scenes. Esp since I don't recall hearing anything about Chris H being called back for reshoots.

But it is storytelling because (warning: super spoiler to follow, do NOT open if you don't want the ending ruined for you):

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Loki ends up as King of Asgard at the end of the movie. He tricked his way into it. That sets up Thor 3 in a very real way and advances the storyline. Thor goes to Earth and Loki stays on Asgard to rule it. That's huge.

Feenix is offline  
Old 10-25-2013, 11:52 AM   #162
Mysteryman
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 10,382
Default Re: Thor 2 Dark World news, speculation and pictures possible Spoilers - - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by pr0xyt0xin View Post
What does it mean "not just thor's love interest?"
I take that to mean she plays a major part in the storyline beyond being Thors girlfriend.
I have no doubt that will be debated upon the films release.

Mysteryman is offline  
Old 10-25-2013, 11:57 AM   #163
Adamantium
Your King
 
Adamantium's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Back home around country folk
Posts: 401
Default Re: Thor 2 Dark World news, speculation and pictures possible Spoilers - - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Sexton View Post
the GA walked into the room and strong-armed them.
Hey, you're not suppose to know about that.

Adamantium is offline  
Old 10-25-2013, 12:01 PM   #164
Mysteryman
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 10,382
Default Re: Thor 2 Dark World news, speculation and pictures possible Spoilers - - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucienlc View Post
"This illustrates my point about when they went into post-production. It's within that process that the Thor/Loki dynamic became more interesting to Taylor than the Thor vs. Malekith. That is why they went back and added scenes for Loki."

Or it may be that after seeing how intense and rabid the Hiddleston fanbase has become, in addition to how well those scenes seemed to work in the dailies, the decision was made to add more. There were also other rumors as to why the additional scenes were shot.

Btw, from the review I cited above, here's the guy's take on Malekith. It doesn't sound like he was particularly familiar with Malekith from the comics, which must have impacted his impression:
"Malekith, is a typical alien nutjob who wants to cause destruction and chaos and doesn’t care who stands in his way. I thought Christopher Eccelston did a fantastic job being a baddy. Even though you could hardly tell it was him with all the fantastic make-up they used."
"
Didnt the added Loki Scenes come after Hiddleston appeared as Loki at SDCC?
At least the news of it did, I believe.
That appearance got a lot of buzz.
It went Viral pretty quick.
Maybe Taylor was already thinking about adding more Loki and the SDCC apperance sealed the deal.

Mysteryman is offline  
Old 10-25-2013, 12:07 PM   #165
Mysteryman
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 10,382
Default Re: Thor 2 Dark World news, speculation and pictures possible Spoilers - - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamantium View Post
hey, you're not suppose to know about that.
who talked????

Mysteryman is offline  
Old 10-25-2013, 12:19 PM   #166
BigThor
God of Thunder
 
BigThor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: United States
Posts: 18,164
Default Re: Thor 2 Dark World news, speculation and pictures possible Spoilers - - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Sexton View Post
Yet, here we are ..... reviewers are loving Loki. I'd argue that right now on the MCU hierarchy, RDJ still sits No.1 ...... but Hiddleston is arguably No.2 ..... that says a lot man. They have a great character and a great actor portraying him. The trick for them was to figure out how to keep blending him into the story, while also adding some new challenges going on around them.
I'd place Hemsworth as either tied with Hiddleston for #2 or right behind him at #3 because reviewsers have raved about him just as much.

__________________
Don't forget to vote for the HOGUN VS. ALDRICH KILLIAN fight

http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=544405

Join our discussion on the MCU's Power Tier - http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=535009

MCU Thor Respect Thread
http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=541747
BigThor is offline  
Old 10-25-2013, 12:43 PM   #167
Mysteryman
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 10,382
Default Re: Thor 2 Dark World news, speculation and pictures possible Spoilers - - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord View Post
It means she was Loki's love interest too
I would pay big bucks to see that .

Mysteryman is offline  
Old 10-25-2013, 01:30 PM   #168
lucienlc
Newbie First Class
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 23
Default Re: Thor 2 Dark World news, speculation and pictures possible Spoilers - - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicPinchy View Post
But it is storytelling because (warning: super spoiler to follow, do NOT open if you don't want the ending ruined for you):

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Loki ends up as King of Asgard at the end of the movie. He tricked his way into it. That sets up Thor 3 in a very real way and advances the storyline. Thor goes to Earth and Loki stays on Asgard to rule it. That's huge.
I know about that. I'm just saying that MORE SUPER SPOILERS:

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
that may indeed be storytelling - even good storytelling. But it also sounds like they had originally planned to simply leave Thor 2 with Loki killed off and that they had a different ending planned, perhaps even without a cliffhanger - or maybe the cliffhanger was Thor being angry with Odin because of his brother's death and abandoning Asgard for Earth. Maybe they thought about bringing Loki back in Thor 3 as well, but maybe they felt originally that his storyline was now played out and planned to leave him dead. Until the overwhelming response to him at SDCC changed things. Yes, they already knew he was popular. But they may have underestimated just how popular he was. Certainly, certain scenes with Tom and Anthony Hopkins were filmed after SDCC, and I somehow doubt they were expanding the earlier scenes which were pretty much written up in the Prelude comics.

Anyway, the point I am making is that they may have changed the entire ending of the movie and created an entire new plotline which materially changed the movie. That's more than simply expanding Loki's role in the movie to add more scenes with him.


Apologies for this not making sense if you're not already spoiled.

lucienlc is offline  
Old 10-25-2013, 01:35 PM   #169
Rock Sexton
Banned User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Somewhere in the Southwest
Posts: 9,139
Default Re: Thor 2 Dark World news, speculation and pictures possible Spoilers - - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysteryman View Post
Didnt the added Loki Scenes come after Hiddleston appeared as Loki at SDCC?
At least the news of it did, I believe.
That appearance got a lot of buzz.
It went Viral pretty quick.
Maybe Taylor was already thinking about adding more Loki and the SDCC apperance sealed the deal.
The buzz for Loki was stronger before SDCC. All one had to do was look at twitter.

The idea that somebody would shoe-horn in more screen time for a character without having valid story-related reasons with it is a little bit naive. That makes Taylor sound like a mindless booger eater ..... as though he wasn't giving thought to how the movie was playing out during editing process.

It's a win-win for Marvel regardless. The audience wants more Loki and the story allowed for them to add it.


Last edited by Rock Sexton; 10-25-2013 at 01:38 PM.
Rock Sexton is offline  
Old 10-25-2013, 01:58 PM   #170
Mysteryman
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 10,382
Default Re: Thor 2 Dark World news, speculation and pictures possible Spoilers - - -

Got to be careful about it though,or he might become overexposed like Wolverine .

Mysteryman is offline  
Old 10-25-2013, 02:05 PM   #171
terry78
I don't die, fool
 
terry78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Northwest Indiana
Posts: 77,809
Default Re: Thor 2 Dark World news, speculation and pictures possible Spoilers - - -

So adding more Loki is different from adding more Channing Tatum to G.I. Joe why? And yes, I know what the smart ass response is, but you already know what I mean.

__________________
If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses. - Henry Ford
-----------
Who the **** makes a movie and while planning it is like, "you know what this needs...is some Greg Kinnear."
terry78 is offline  
Old 10-25-2013, 02:20 PM   #172
Feenix
Banned User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: German by birth
Posts: 3,629
Default Re: Thor 2 Dark World news, speculation and pictures possible Spoilers - - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry78 View Post
So adding more Loki is different from adding more Channing Tatum to G.I. Joe why? And yes, I know what the smart ass response is, but you already know what I mean.
Well, for one, GI Joe is a god-awful movie and it's not like Tatum's performance in it was mind blowing or spectacular. He is nothing more than eye candy.

Loki is totally different. Hiddleston plays him better than anyone could and he gives off the most stunning performances. He's in the movie because it doesn't work without him and even people who didn't like him at first say that this movie changed their perception of him.

Comparing Channing Tatum in GI Joe to Tom Hiddleston in The Dark World is pretty ridiculous.

Feenix is offline  
Old 10-25-2013, 02:27 PM   #173
BigThor
God of Thunder
 
BigThor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: United States
Posts: 18,164
Default Re: Thor 2 Dark World news, speculation and pictures possible Spoilers - - -

Me when I realize that I'm the only one in here who hasn't been spoiled.


__________________
Don't forget to vote for the HOGUN VS. ALDRICH KILLIAN fight

http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=544405

Join our discussion on the MCU's Power Tier - http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=535009

MCU Thor Respect Thread
http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=541747
BigThor is offline  
Old 10-25-2013, 02:40 PM   #174
Mjölnir
Blunt instrument
 
Mjölnir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Sweden
Posts: 6,016
Default Re: Thor 2 Dark World news, speculation and pictures possible Spoilers - - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigThor View Post
Me when I realize that I'm the only one in here who hasn't been spoiled.

You're not alone. I haven't even seen a single TV spot.

Mjölnir is offline  
Old 10-25-2013, 02:49 PM   #175
Adamantium
Your King
 
Adamantium's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Back home around country folk
Posts: 401
Default Re: Thor 2 Dark World news, speculation and pictures possible Spoilers - - -

I clicked on a couple of spoilers and damn it...I'm so mad at myself.




How do you put a video on here!


Last edited by Adamantium; 10-25-2013 at 03:00 PM.
Adamantium is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:58 PM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"



Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of Mandatory Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2018 All Rights Reserved.