Old 05-29-2018, 11:17 AM   #503
Spider-Aziz
Death Match Taunt

Default Re: You Have My Permission To Lounge - Part 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by titansupes View Post
Made me chuckle on FB just now:
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

Putting it like that, Rachel Dawes is an annoying character.

YOUTUBE
Michael Keaton's Batman is the ASMR master of superheroes.

The internet: You formed your personal opinion and liked something popular? You are part of the herd. You like something new and unpopular? Cult of the new.
Spider-Aziz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 09:38 AM   #504
OutOfBoose
Russian Hacker

He only needed to go to a law school and become a district attorney.

Builds your roofs of dead wood. Builds your walls of dead stone. Builds your dreams of dead thoughts. Comes crying laughing singing back to life, takes what you steal, and pulls the skins from your dead bones shrieking.
--Clay tablet in an abandoned Trickster temple
OutOfBoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 11:58 AM   #505
BaelaTargaryen
Side-Kick

Nice article

Away from the Hype: THE DARK KNIGHT RISES

Old 06-02-2018, 11:41 PM   #506
JackWhite
Third Man

Very good article. I actually haven't seen TDKR since November 2014. Been wanting to give it another viewing this year. It still amazes me how much vitriol some have for it - The vocal "minority". But I have found since these last slew of DCEU films, that TDKR has gotten more love on some online communities.

With that being said, I'm still waiting for my TDKR - Extended cut, Mr. Nolan.

JackWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 09:23 AM   #507
Spider-Aziz
Death Match Taunt

How would it be like if it was extended?

YOUTUBE

The internet: You formed your personal opinion and liked something popular? You are part of the herd. You like something new and unpopular? Cult of the new.
Old 06-03-2018, 10:19 AM   #508
The Joker
The Clown Prince of Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackWhite View Post
Very good article. I actually haven't seen TDKR since November 2014. Been wanting to give it another viewing this year. It still amazes me how much vitriol some have for it - The vocal "minority". But I have found since these last slew of DCEU films, that TDKR has gotten more love on some online communities.

With that being said, I'm still waiting for my TDKR - Extended cut, Mr. Nolan.
Yeah, it always pleases me when TDKR pulls in the big numbers on polls here, and even out ranks some of the biggest CBM favorites. The salty responses are so tasty.

- The Joker
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 06:32 PM   #509
JackWhite
Third Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Aziz View Post
How would it be like if it was extended?

I remember reading the art and making of the TDK trilogy, and the editor mentioned how they practically had to trim down every scene to make sure it all fit in for IMAX. I know all films have things that stay on the cutting room floor, but TDKR in particular is a film that would simply benefit from a slightly longer run time; to help with pacing and let things breathe a bit more.

As it stands, it's damn impressive how much the film works as is.

Old 06-03-2018, 06:39 PM   #510
JackWhite
Third Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
Yeah, it always pleases me when TDKR pulls in the big numbers on polls here, and even out ranks some of the biggest CBM favorites. The salty responses are so tasty.

Haha, I know man.

I remember right after both films were released; TDKR actually beat The Avengers in a head to head poll over on IGN.

Old 06-03-2018, 06:54 PM   #511
Iceman
Infinity War!

I'm sure most of the anti TDKR stuff comes only because it followed one of the best genre films ever and the best CBM, and capped such a defining trilogy. An impossible task, so any minor things that were wrong with it get blown up. I enjoyed it so much more the 2nd time after all that pressure was gone.

Old 06-04-2018, 01:31 AM   #512
Penguin
The Buccaneer of Birds

Even if TDKR is a flawed sequel, it’s still better than vast majority of comic book movies these days.

- The Penguin

Penguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 04:11 AM   #513
Spider-Aziz
Death Match Taunt

Quote:
I remember reading the art and making of the TDK trilogy, and the editor mentioned how they practically had to trim down every scene to make sure it all fit in for IMAX. I know all films have things that stay on the cutting room floor, but TDKR in particular is a film that would simply benefit from a slightly longer run time; to help with pacing and let things breathe a bit more.

Extended screentime of what already is the longest Batman film as it is.

YOUTUBE

Old 06-04-2018, 07:49 PM   #514
Ryan
Side-Kick

I still have my issues with TDKR.....not because it followed TDK or because I had preconceived notions of how I thought the film should be....or because I simply didn't 'get it'. Ha, I think those are usually the top three reason people list when people say they have issues with tdkr. Still, i'd watch TDKR over again in a heartbeart over the current dceu and most marvel movies. For I the problems I have with it, it simply has more depth than most marvel/dc films I've seen in the last so many years.

Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 08:35 PM   #515
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

TDKR is still my second favorite of the trilogy, but I've always said even if you consider it the weakest (which is totally fair- Begins was such a breath of fresh air and TDK is TDK), it's still better than the vast majority of CBMs by a pretty wide margin.

And even people tend to perceive it as his most flawed film, I think Nolan showed some significant growth as a filmmaker in Rises that I can trace through to Interstellar and Dunkirk, which I think are two of his best films. Specifically, leaning more on visual storytelling than he had in the past for some really big moments.

I always defended Rises because I think by the time a third Nolan film rolled around, it was easy to take for granted just how high the bar was raised there. It's been a bit disheartening to see the bar get lowered again so quickly when it comes to Batman cinema. I know these things tend to go in cycles, but I'm just grateful that I have the trilogy to look back so fondly on during this current low point.

Last edited by BatLobsterRises; 06-04-2018 at 08:38 PM.
BatLobsterRises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 05:53 AM   #516
Ryan
Side-Kick

I still think Warner Bros got sold a bag of fake goods. The trilogy was the combination of the Nolan bros and goyer. While goyer brought ideas to the table, you really needed a Christopher Nolan to refine it and bring it to the big screen. I'm pretty sure that Warners believed the Goyer could deliver the ideas and all they'd have to do is follow the Nolan blueprint for filmmaking. I mean, Mos is basically BB. But as history show, it wasn't that easy. You can't just replicate great film or story telling and that's what separates Nolan's Trilogy from the rest.

Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 07:17 AM   #517
DoomRulz
A guy that comes and goes

Quote:

I know most people hate this, but I think TDKR could've worked as a two-part film. End the first film with Batman having his back broken and start the second film with him recuperating in the prison. It would've allowed for more chaos to reign in Gotham under Bane and raised the stakes.

Movies don't. Especially not the diseased, cancerous, leprosy-induced, kolera that is a Snyder exercise in brain death you would call movies.

To equate the struggle for civil rights of black people to DCEU should be grounds for admittance to a mental institution
DoomRulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 09:38 AM   #518
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

It certainly could've worked, but after seeing Infinity War, I'm glad they didn't go that route.

It would've allowed for more content, yes, but I think you'd end up with two weaker films as a result. Part 1 ends on a pure cliffhanger, with no resolution. Part 2 would be a film where Bruce is in a prison for most of the movie, only to inevitably climb out and save the day. It's not enough to justify keeping the audience in suspense between films IMO. You interrupt the emotional journey that you get keeping it as one film, which is more what TDKR is all about.

I think it sounds better on paper than it would actually be, unless you significantly reworked the story as something pretty different. If TDKR were an episode of TAS though, absolutely- the back break would be the big cliffhanger of a two-parter. I just think a big part of the "brand" of these films was being singular cinematic events.

Sorry to hate on the idea haha. I don't think most people hate it though, it seems to be a pretty popular sentiment among fans.

Old 06-05-2018, 08:55 PM   #519
JackWhite
Third Man

So now Leto's Joker is getting his own stand alone film.

Old 06-05-2018, 09:39 PM   #520
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

I don't put too much stock into it yet. WB always seems to have a habit of developing multiple versions of a project at once before they land on a direction. My guess is that could be happening now with Todd Phillips' Joker film and the Leto one. It would be insane for them to produce two separate Joker films with different Jokers.

Old 06-05-2018, 10:03 PM   #521
Spider-Aziz
Death Match Taunt

That is one DC property turned to movie I will not see.

YOUTUBE

Old 06-07-2018, 12:56 PM   #522
BaelaTargaryen
Side-Kick

That Letoker movie got a ton of hate all over Internet and DCEU fans fushed to defend it. My favorite argument is "If people hate Leto's Joker so much it means that he was very good in that role".

Old 06-07-2018, 01:58 PM   #523
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

I've been editing a fun TDK related video that hopefully I'll be sharing here if I'm happy with how it comes out. So as a result I've just been swimming in footage of Heath's Joker for the past couple of weeks.

It truly is a remarkable performance. There are so many shades to that character, and it's so unpredictable yet it feels cohesive. It still feels like he snatched an entirely different person out of thin air, invented every little quirk and just became that guy while the cameras were rolling.

I feel that way about Oldman's Gordon too actually. I don't see Oldman, just Gordon.

Old 06-08-2018, 07:47 PM   #524
JackWhite
Third Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatLobsterRises View Post
I've been editing a fun TDK related video that hopefully I'll be sharing here if I'm happy with how it comes out. So as a result I've just been swimming in footage of Heath's Joker for the past couple of weeks.

It truly is a remarkable performance. There are so many shades to that character, and it's so unpredictable yet it feels cohesive. It still feels like he snatched an entirely different person out of thin air, invented every little quirk and just became that guy while the cameras were rolling.

I feel that way about Oldman's Gordon too actually. I don't see Oldman, just Gordon.

Sweet. Keep us updated. I remember you doing a medley of TDKR score back when the film came out. That was pretty kick ass.

Old 06-08-2018, 07:50 PM   #525
Spider-Aziz
Death Match Taunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaelaTargaryen View Post
That Letoker movie got a ton of hate all over Internet and DCEU fans fushed to defend it. My favorite argument is "If people hate Leto's Joker so much it means that he was very good in that role".
People loathed King Jofferey with passion for that reason, so I see what fuels that thought thinking.

YOUTUBE