The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > TV Series > The Flash

Old 05-16-2017, 11:54 AM   #1
rachelmac

Default Season 4 'The Flash': 4 Reasons Why the Next Season Needs to be a Soft Reboot

For a show about the fastest man alive, The Flash doesn't have much momentum anymore. The first of the Arrow spin-offs is still very enjoyable but it is also in a rut. Since the incredibly strong season 1, The Flash has essentially followed the same formula each and every year. The Flash has become so predictable that the "shocking" reveal of Savitar's identity in "I Know Who You Are" verged dangerously close to self-parody. In season 4 The Flash needs to have something of a soft reboot and change things up drastically. Here are four ways the show has grown stale and needs to be fixed in the future.

http://www.buddytv.com/articles/the-...son-64500.aspx

rachelmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 12:57 PM   #2
Eni
Side-Kick

Default Re: Season 4 'The Flash': 4 Reasons Why the Next Season Needs to be a Soft Reboot

yeah, pretty much that

Eni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 02:28 PM   #3
ZIPBAGS
Side-Kick

Default Re: Season 4 'The Flash': 4 Reasons Why the Next Season Needs to be a Soft Reboot

I agree...Also, as I mentioned in another thread. They need to merge the Supergirl Earth with the Arrow/Flash/Legends Earth.

ZIPBAGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 03:05 PM   #4
Eni
Side-Kick

Do they? The only real change would be... nothing. We would still have one crossover episode per season and it would not really affect the rest of it. I mean, I'm not against it or anything, but I don't thing that the show would actually profit from it in a major way.

Old 05-17-2017, 12:57 AM   #5
Frodo
Side-Kick

Like i've said in a couple other threads, I think the series should go back to the one and done anthology adventures that alot shows from the 50s up to the late nineties had , with the occasional 2 or 3 part episodes scattered throughout the season.

Standalone episodes with multipart episodes thrown in. In one episode Bart Allen could show up for one episode, in another the rogues could team up, etc.

The characters could still progress without everything being tied to a mystery bad and an arch that runs through 22 episodes. Sitcoms pretty much still use that model, but alot of series today have abandoned it. It actually made for a fresh creative experience in that each episode was its own thing without foot dragging and tired drawn out storylines.

Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 01:09 AM   #6
Osiris-Rex
Head-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
Like i've said in a couple other threads, I think the series should go back to the one and done anthology adventures that alot shows from the 50s up to the late nineties had , with the occasional 2 or 3 part episodes scattered throughout the season.

Standalone episodes with multipart episodes thrown in. In one episode Bart Allen could show up for one episode, in another the rogues could team up, etc.

The characters could still progress without everything being tied to a mystery bad and an arch that runs through 22 episodes. Sitcoms pretty much still use that model, but alot of series today have abandoned it. It actually made for a fresh creative experience in that each episode was its own thing without foot dragging and tired drawn out storylines.
I agree. People complain about "filler" episodes. But long, drawn out, season long stories are really more of a recent thing. You look at series of the past, the Adventures of Superman, Batman, Star Trek, Wonder Woman.
Each episode was self contained with maybe an occasional two parter at most. Even today lots of shows like NCIS and SVU follow that format and it works quite well for them. It was just more satisfying to know what
happened that day instead of having to wait all season and then half the time being disappointed. Like so Savitar is just evil Barry. Ho-hum.

Osiris-Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 05:24 AM   #7
Eni
Side-Kick

Maybe they should just shorten the seasons? I don't think an anthology adventure way would be bad every other season, but I would like them to actually tell longer stories as well, they just don't seem that good at handling writing one that lasts for over twenty episodes without it getting boring and too thin.

Old 05-17-2017, 09:12 AM   #8
Frodo
Side-Kick

I think the idea of one and done episodes mixed in with 3 and 2 part episodes through out the season is the way they could go. That's how many genres as varied from Sci-Fi, Westerns, Cop shows, Doctor dramas, action shows, superhero shows etc, used to be.

Less episodes could also work, though I would still prefer the majority of the episodes be stand alone episodes with occasionally 2 and 3 parters even in a shorter season.

Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 09:31 AM   #9
Eni
Side-Kick

stand alone episodes sound good, but maybe with a plot thread going on in the background that connects the overall season? I like the idea of them focusing on smaller arks, maybe shifting the focus on different characters at a time.

Old 05-17-2017, 12:52 PM   #10
mqg96
Side-Kick

No, keep the amount of episodes at 23, just make sure there's less filler ones, that's all. You gotta have mini sub-arcs throughout the season and not just have every episode be on the main villain. That's rushing the plot, and I don't want my TV seasons rushed.

mqg96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 01:46 PM   #11
inkblaster
Side-Kick

I don't want to re-roll everything and start over at level 1. I think they need to do the crossover arcs later in the seasons, so the slow build up is just at the beginning and then the later crossover crisis and story wraps happen faster at the end.

I will say after 3 seasons they've already run through most of the Flash's rogue gallery, shame they wasted Reverse Flash/Legion of Doom on Legends of Tomorrow, but maybe something like that can happen again, only not with, you know, the time junk.

Would also allow more use for the Hall of Justice we saw in the crossover.

inkblaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 03:22 PM   #12
metaphysician
Not a Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by mqg96 View Post
No, keep the amount of episodes at 23, just make sure there's less filler ones, that's all. You gotta have mini sub-arcs throughout the season and not just have every episode be on the main villain. That's rushing the plot, and I don't want my TV seasons rushed.
Those are kind of contradictory, but I largely agree. What they need is to have more than one plot across the season, so you don't need to stretch things out as much. The big vice of the second half of season 3 is that they set a super high stakes countdown, with a full half season to go. This meant too many episodes to have meaningful plot progress, but also a thematic disconnect so they can't have unrelated subplots or solo episodes. Worst of both worlds.

If I were to do it, best solution I can think of is to give them a hope spot a few episodes after the midseason premiere, so that they think they *have* solved things. This buys you at least a couple episodes of "Now we can relax and do other stories", until the twist where their solution gets unsolved.

metaphysician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 02:54 PM   #13
Syncos
ROFLICIOUS

I like the Doctor Who method, where each episode is pretty contained, but there's an end goal for the season, that you're getting hints at. They kinda do that now, but basically every episode is focused on "OMG SAVITAR". Instead it would be nice if there was some sort of season long story, but it would be good if it wasn't like "a master plan" or something.

I'm sick of "I need to stop this one event" storylines that just beat you over the head.
Instead, give me a season, that's just the progression of the rogues, each trying their hand at a plan to take out flash that lasts like 2-3 episodes, then in the last quarter, have them all working together after they've all initially failed.

It basically writes itself.

Old 05-18-2017, 03:17 PM   #14
Wildcard
Cataclysmic Titan

I agree with shortening the seasons. Cutting it down to 16-18 episodes a season would probably help a great deal, especially where keeping momentum going for the main story is concerned.

Wildcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 06:28 AM   #15
Lantern Venom
Your Mom's #1 Hypester

It's not all gloom and doom, because the show is still hitting on most cylinders. Outside of the decision to use yet another speedster villain, there has been a great deal to enjoy in season 3. The show has a foundation of many well-rounded characters that have kept the narrative interesting even as the series has followed, for the 3rd time, the formula of Team Flash trying to stop a faster foe.

Season 4 just needs to let Barry and the gang move forward. The Flash has a long list of villains yet to be explored, not to mention there are other DC baddies that could possibly be adapted. This season has been at its best when Barry is focused on helping others instead of trying to deal with some personal tragedy, ala the Gorilla City/Central City invasion storylines. The show just needs to focus on the many elements that are thriving.

Barry also needs a few visits from his green bestie, and I'm not talking about Mr. Archery.

Lantern Venom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 07:48 AM   #16
Syncos
ROFLICIOUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lantern Venom View Post
It's not all gloom and doom, because the show is still hitting on most cylinders. Outside of the decision to use yet another speedster villain, there has been a great deal to enjoy in season 3. The show has a foundation of many well-rounded characters that have kept the narrative interesting even as the series has followed, for the 3rd time, the formula of Team Flash trying to stop a faster foe.

Season 4 just needs to let Barry and the gang move forward. The Flash has a long list of villains yet to be explored, not to mention there are other DC baddies that could possibly be adapted. This season has been at its best when Barry is focused on helping others instead of trying to deal with some personal tragedy, ala the Gorilla City/Central City invasion storylines. The show just needs to focus on the many elements that are thriving.

Barry also needs a few visits from his green bestie, and I'm not talking about Mr. Archery.
Lantern? I'm not sure the relationship Barry and Hal have would be considered Besties. OLLIE and Hal are definitely besties. They do have a long and intricate relationship, though. So that would make Hal a great character to guest across shows.

Old 05-19-2017, 03:49 PM   #17
Eni
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syncos View Post
Lantern? I'm not sure the relationship Barry and Hal have would be considered Besties. OLLIE and Hal are definitely besties. They do have a long and intricate relationship, though. So that would make Hal a great character to guest across shows.
Lantern and Flash did have a very close relationship, especially in the pre-CoIE run it was seen that Hal often hung out with Barry. There are a number of very nice moments between those two after Flash Rebirth, pre-New52, where you can nicely see how close they are. I unfortunately can't remember the exact issue, but I think it was during an issue of Brightest day that Barry tries to get Hal to calm down and think straight, and he mentions how Ollie always uses Hal to make himself feel bigger, which I think is very telling about the comic Ollie and a real nice description of how the relationship between those three man work.

Old 05-19-2017, 06:14 PM   #18
TheRedWraith
Ex-DCEU Fan

Clearly the Gotham technique of mini trilogy arcs and splitting the season into to main arcs is the best route to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneFan View Post
There are many times where I bite my tongue on these forums. Most of the time, engaging in a back and forth simply isn't worth the effort.
TheRedWraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 05:12 AM   #19
Batmannerism
Super-unknown

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachelmac View Post
For a show about the fastest man alive, The Flash doesn't have much momentum anymore. The first of the Arrow spin-offs is still very enjoyable but it is also in a rut. Since the incredibly strong season 1, The Flash has essentially followed the same formula each and every year. The Flash has become so predictable that the "shocking" reveal of Savitar's identity in "I Know Who You Are" verged dangerously close to self-parody. In season 4 The Flash needs to have something of a soft reboot and change things up drastically. Here are four ways the show has grown stale and needs to be fixed in the future.

http://www.buddytv.com/articles/the-...son-64500.aspx
I agree with a lot of that. I feel that season 3 managed to underwhelm - if the Savitar reveal had been properly managed (and if the previous two seasons hadn't had main villains who were disguised as friends, so we knew a twist was coming) then that could have been a very powerful moment.

I do think that the smaller arcs is a better way to go, having said that there's no reason that a single thread can't unite the arcs.

I also think the 23 episode format is a mistake, Legends of Tomorrow, manages to be great, stupid fun in 17 episodes. I feel like that could work for Flash.

Having said that there have been some good moments this season, and Killer Frost has been pretty badass - although it's stupid that Barry has to even try to get ahead of her ( I mean, how fast can she slide on ice, really ? Compared to a guy who runs faster than sound without really trying ?)

That point in the article about Barry actually having to learn a lesson, and remember it, well that's spot on. Every time the team start keeping secrets from each other, or Barry uses time travel to try and change things.....well, come on. In season 1 it made sense, in season 2 it was annoying, but in season 3 it's total facepalm.

Soft reboot sounds a bit drastic, but the show needs to change to survive.

Batmannerism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 02:59 AM   #20
Silver Lantern
Side-Kick

The things they really need to future seasons is:
1: Quit everybody feeling sorry for themselves it's getting too damn dramatic. I see a lot of it's my fault, it's my fault, blah blah.
2: Allow Barry to save more average citizens in the city but also travel to other cities besides Star. They need a oil rig, Las Vegas, etc.
3: Change to suit to the future one seen it's great.
4: Quit having Barry reveal himself to everyone. Is there anyone in this show that doesn't know, here's the list: Eobard/Wells, Caitlin, Capt Cold, Heatwave, Oliver Queen, all of team arrow, Cisco, Linda Park, Julian/Alchemy, other speedsters like Jessie, Wally and Jay. His dad Henry, His mother before died, and so on.
4: Get away from Star Labs more than usual, be CSI more like first season with graphics Barry sees. Stark creating the Flash museum instead he goes to. Destroy Star Labs.
5: No more speedster villains as main
6: Give Barry the ring for his suit
7: More multi Earth's but make Cisco, Caitlin more supporting now to become their own.
8: Barry always asking what do I do like he has no idea of his own to fight unless he is given instructions by someone, makes him look dumb.
9: Different holiday episodes like Halloween, New Year's, etc
10: Villains like Grundy, Copperhead, The Shade, and others be in show.

I'm sure there's more though.

Silver Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 07:19 PM   #21
storyteller
Side-Kick

Well there is a new suit so that done.

With Arrow, Supergirl, and Flash they need to start doing more episodes where they actually save people with a voice.

In season 2 and 3 of Flash I never felt that Flash saved anyone who wasn't on Team Flash.
Of course their actions helped save the multiverse or future victims but it wasn't like they saved John Doe who had a problem and needed saving.

That was my biggest issue with the save Iris plotline. Okay so is Savitar a threat to anyone else or just Barry and co?

Arrow this past season showed a lot of collateral damage. He may have attacked to hurt Oliver but so many people were killed in his path.

If you've ever seen the Pretender, that's what I want. I want the episodes to end with strangers saved by the Flash who tomorrow will return to their normal/better lives.

The depression does need to end. You lot have terrible self esteem. Fall down, get back up.Inspire others to do the same.

Barry revealing himself? Eh in most of these cases, keeping the secret is very pointless. But this comes back to the Average citizens problem. Most of these people aren't average.

But what should Barry keep the mask on even though Team Arrow has theirs off?

What irked me was that the DA women needed to know. Like dude you can say you work with the Flash. She doesn't need to know it's Barry. Linda so didn't need to know.

Star Labs is becoming a boring location.

Maybe as well do the ring just to get that done. Maybe with the new suit they will. Otherwise I don't understand why introduce this stuff and tease. It's not good writing.

Might be time to actually lessen the multiearth stories. Maybe pass that off to the Legends. They've done too much "Great villians exists on another world" comments way too much.

Barry needs to be smarter and a better tactician. He should ask Cisco to calculate stuff but have the plan once he get's all the info.

Holiday episodes are iffy because of the airing schedule and well not everyone is christian.

Grundy and Copperhead are not Flash villains. They belong elsewhere.

Shade was introduced last season but highlighted the problems of that season. Best to ignore it and properly introduce an Earth 1 Shade.

Its time to be a man..................and run away.
storyteller is offline   Reply With Quote