The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men Sequels

Old 10-25-2017, 05:53 PM   #26
Lip
Side-Kick

Default Re: Which X-Men characters could carry a solo film?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Ones View Post

The X-men have always worked better as an ensemble. Just look at how short-lived solo X-men comic books are aside from Wolverine.
I loved Logan, and I think it was one of the best superhero movies I've seen. But it's the characters that make me see the movies. So I'm not gonna lie, I'm not very excited about a Gambit movie, even if it turn out to be as good as Logan. And the worst for me is the idea of turning into a trilogy.

So I agree the X-Men works better as an ensemble, but I think it could be cool to have solo movies only if they were 1 and done thing.

Quote:
I'm not sure if Storm could support a film as she is now (both in the comics and films). They might want to use the Shadow King or the Adversary. But Storm's history is all over the place - will it be about Storm living on the street? Being a Goddess? - but how can you tell that without nasty cliches of Africans being savages? Being a Queen? - how do you tell that if you can't use Wakanda? Coates is writing a Storm series - I expect that a year into the comic we'll have a great guide for a Storm film, but work needs to be done first.
I honestly don't think they need to be 100% accurate to her comicbook origin. And she isn't Magma who, IMO, has a ridiculous origin story.

But you touched upon a very interesting topic when you mentioned not portraying africans as savages. Just because some ethnic groups rejected and avoided the western way of life, doesn't mean they're savages. I read your posts and I know you're socially aware and engaged in social issues, and I know you're not saying that. But my point is, there are those groups in africa, carrying a beautiful baggage of culture. So it's an opportunity to do that explore that beauty and show those groups are not savages.

There are many ways they can do that. A story of Storm rescuing or finding an identity as an african descent, as a part of her, it's just one way.

Quote:
A Dazzler movie would be awesome if Fox made it about someone trying get a break in the music industry, but filled with references from the X-world. Play up the camp of a musical and break the fourth wall.
I never cared about a Dazzler possible solo movie, but now I think it could actually be interesting. I remember there was a website to promote DoFP that listed some events that led to that distopic future. One of them was about Pietro being caught competing in olympic games, which resulted in anti-mutant measures. I thought that was particularly interesting because it made me think about how is the life of a mutant. What if he wants to be an athlete? What problems could he face?

So now that you mentioned that, I think it could be interesing to explore a mutant trying to be a singer, a pop-star. How would that work? What problems she would face? And of course they could use social allegory as always, the sexism in the industry for instance.

Lip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 05:59 PM   #27
Mad Ones
Bebe le Strange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip View Post
But you touched upon a very interesting topic when you mentioned not portraying africans as savages. Just because some ethnic groups rejected and avoided the western way of life, doesn't mean they're savages. I read your posts and I know you're socially aware and engaged in social issues, and I know you're not saying that. But my point is, there are those groups in africa, carrying a beautiful baggage of culture. So it's an opportunity to do that explore that beauty and show those groups are not savages.

There are many ways they can do that. A story of Storm rescuing or finding an identity as an african descent, as a part of her, it's just one way.
Yeah, true. The movie could do a great job demonstrating non-western peoples and knowledges and their explanation for people like Storm, and the roles someone like her would have in society. But the comics didn't do that because the narrative was that the Kenyan tribes thought she was a Goddess because they didn't know what mutants were, and that Storm became out of touch because the she was being worshipped. There's even a line in the animated series where Wolverine says something like "being worshipped as a goddess must have messed with her mind." The tribes and their knowledges weren't developed so they became cliches. It also risks painting Africa as completely tribal when Africa is home to great cities. That being said, it wouldn't surprise me if this is something Coates reworks in his comic and updates it in a respectful way. That is what I could see working in a movie, but I would just be worried Fox would botch it. So I agree with you that changes could be made for the better.

Last edited by Mad Ones; 10-25-2017 at 06:10 PM.
Mad Ones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 08:38 PM   #28
x-er
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip View Post
So now that you mentioned that, I think it could be interesing to explore a mutant trying to be a singer, a pop-star. How would that work? What problems she would face? And of course they could use social allegory as always, the sexism in the industry for instance.
I agree with this. What about someone falling in love with a human?

Jean Grey as a doctor in X1 was great! Hank was being interviewed on TV in X2.
Come to mention it, Singer does have an eye for this, and he gave us "mutant trying to find parental acceptance" in X2 with Iceman. Now, when it comes to mutants in office, I've always liked Magneto's comicbook approach...

just make your own country!

Last edited by x-er; 10-25-2017 at 08:43 PM.
x-er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 09:20 PM   #29
ludovica
Daddy Feige notice me!

^ Genosha's Revolution: The Movie.

Black Widow, Wasp, Wanda, Valkyrie, Captain Marvel, Monica Rambeau & Black Panther for Avengers 5!

DCEU is dead, long live DCFU
DCFU optimist: Shazam!
ludovica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 01:41 PM   #30
psylockolussus
Fierce User

Quote:
Ideally the Wolverine trilogy movies would be called: Weapon X, The Wolverine, and Logan. (Pre-X-men, as an X-man, Post-X-men). And they would all have Logan's quality.

The X-men have always worked better as an ensemble. Just look at how short-lived solo X-men comic books are aside from Wolverine. I'm not sure who could support a solo movie, I think some characters would have to be changed quite fundamentally in order to tell a story about them outside of the X-men. And the character would need a specific story to tell with a rogues gallery.

X23 obviously could work because of her connection to the Wolverine mythos - that's why they are working on a script.

Gambit has a shaky foundation, but his last solo was pretty good and he's getting a new comic with Rogue. A heist story is a good fit. The movie could draw from the thieves guild and marauders - it's not gold but it's something to work with.

Rogue has famous history with Ms Marvel. A movie about Rogue leaving the Brotherhood after absorbing someone's psyche would be compelling. Of course, Fox can't use Ms Marvel so that leaves her rogues gallery pretty weak. It's also a hard story to tell if she doesn't have the X-men's telepaths to help her deal. They would have to invent a character to replace Ms Marvel and include Xavier (or another telepath like Jean or Emma).

I'm not sure if Storm could support a film as she is now (both in the comics and films). They might want to use the Shadow King or the Adversary. But Storm's history is all over the place - will it be about Storm living on the street? Being a Goddess? - but how can you tell that without nasty cliches of Africans being savages? Being a Queen? - how do you tell that if you can't use Wakanda? Coates is writing a Storm series - I expect that a year into the comic we'll have a great guide for a Storm film, but work needs to be done first.

Cyclops has Sinister, but his identity is too tied to the X-men and his relationships (Xavier, Jean, Emma).

Teenage Jean Grey has a solo comic right now about her training and preparing to fight the Phoenix. That could potentially work, but not in the film climate we have now.

A Dazzler movie would be awesome if Fox made it about someone trying get a break in the music industry, but filled with references from the X-world. Play up the camp of a musical and break the fourth wall.

A Multiple Man movie would be awesome - make it a crime-detective story of him sending out his dupes to get information, but dealing with his own identity at the same time. I could see it with a trippy tone and concept like Momento, but a little more light-hearted and mainstream. This would be a great series.

Magik could have a movie about growing up in Limbo and overcoming Belasco's influence.

An Iceman movie could be about the intersection of being gay and a mutant. But this would be a better character arc in an ensemble. He has a solo comic series - the closest thing he has to a rogues gallery are the Purifiers and Daken.

Cable could probably support a movie, but I wouldn't be interested in it lol.

After typing all this up, I guess I would be most excited for a Dazzler, Multiple Man, or Magik movie/series. Of course, a good script could make any X-character work but the core X-characters would need a lot of changes. It would be better to develop them in an ensemble movie.
X-Men is more appealing as a team but comic book sales and stories for the solo comics won't have a bearing at the success of the solo films. Fox could make a Jean movie right now but who's to say it would adapt storylines from Her solo comic series. If they underperform or bomb, it would just mean that they don't interest the masses.