The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men Sequels

Old 08-25-2014, 12:37 AM   #76
psylockolussus
Fierce User

Default Re: Marvel Studios' X-Men?

Quote:
X-Men is not all dark and serious. Nor should it be. Depends on the story and characters involved.
It really isn't. I think whats nice about this series is we get the dark and serious stuff (which DC movies usually have) and the light and fun stuff (like what Marvel Studios usually offer). Its a mix of both and its another reason why X-Men is my favorite comic-book film franchise ever!

Quote:
Fox just doesnt have the balls and ambition to really expand the universe beyond their big actors/characters.
And yet X-Men is one of the few *big* franchises that managed to cross the 7th film mark without doing a reboot. So much for not having balls and ambition. Just because they aren't pumping out as many films as Marvel Studios per year and maybe DC in the next few years, it doesn't mean they are less competent. Mind you, this is a 14 year old franchise and a lot of superhero franchise have been rebooted or put in the back burner since X-Men got their 1st film and they are still here. You release spin-off films like X-Force, Deadpool, New Mutants which could appear as "X-Men light" more than a new property of its own, then you'd oversaturate the X-Men series.

Last edited by psylockolussus; 08-25-2014 at 12:46 AM.
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 02:07 AM   #77
Shikamaru
Side-Kick

X-Men isn't exactly dark and serious, but the universe does have a darker status quo than the rest of Marvel. It's part of why I have a hard time envisioning them in the MCU, and even in the comics. The X-Men makes claims about the way the MU is that almost never make their presence outside of X-Men stories. And in a way, it's a catch-22 and don't blame Marvel for that. If all of Marvel was as caught in the mutant debate as the X-Men comics are, it would be a dark brooding place all the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psylockolussus View Post
Doesn't matter. Just the thought of that they exist in 1 movie-verse is massive!
Not really. Other than maybe some of the Defenders and the Guardians that are all the way in deep space (and thus don't count), that's just the standard mainstream Marvel lineup.

Old 08-25-2014, 05:06 AM   #78
def28
Side-Kick

The X-Men have been intertwined in the Comics pretty well for the past decades. That relationship between other characters have grown significantly through Uncanny Avengers and will continue through Axis. Been pretty solid imo. Pretty much the best current X-Men stuff out there has been anything written by Remender, so mostly the X-Men+Avenger hybrid team stuff . Would love for him to take over the main title and for Marvel to ditch All New.
Quote:
It really isn't. I think whats nice about this series is we get the dark and serious stuff (which DC movies usually have) and the light and fun stuff (like what Marvel Studios usually offer). Its a mix of both and its another reason why X-Men is my favorite comic-book film franchise ever!
Agreed. The series is definitely finding a better balance between the two, and I think the more they play up the latter (but sill retain the darker elements) character wise is where they will strike box office gold with audiences in the future.

Last edited by def28; 08-25-2014 at 05:17 AM.
def28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 05:17 AM   #79
psylockolussus
Fierce User

I think with the producers and writers that are currently working on the X-Men movies, we gonna get more of this mixture. I read from Collider before that Lauren Shuler Donner was asking Singer to do more light and fun stuff for DOFP and we just got that. And Simon Kinberg... I have to say X3, isn't really as dark compare to the first two films and I feel like he doesn't seem like a writer who continuously writes heavy stuff. So I feel like we are gonna the dark/more serious stuff from X1/X2/parts of DOFP/parts of First Class and the lighter/more fun stuff from X3/parts of DOFP/parts of First Class.

Old 08-25-2014, 05:25 AM   #80
def28
Side-Kick

They seem on the right path. The newer films have had quite a bit more variety personality wise.

Quicksilver really had the audience eating out of the palm of his hand. Hopefully Gambit is used well, people are gonna want to see him steal the scenes.

Last edited by def28; 08-25-2014 at 05:37 AM.
Old 08-25-2014, 03:06 PM   #81
Hamill-Joker
Side-Kick

I don't think that the X-Men series needs to have a super serious tone, but, as I said earlier, one of the things I like about it is that it takes itself more seriously than most of the movies in the Disney/Marvel franchise.

I think the one example of Marvel Studios doing a good mix of tone was the very first Iron Man movie, and they have yet to capture that tone again. I think Cap 2 may have been the closest but still fell short in my opinion.

One of the biggest problems I find with the tone of most of the Disney/Marvel movies is that it often hurts whatever threat/villain is in the movie or when they try to have serious moment. Other than Loki, I don't think any other Disney/Marvel villain has really been all that great.

Hamill-Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 04:56 PM   #82
def28
Side-Kick

Disagree, the tone is why these films keep people coming. I thought Winter Soldier was actually much more serious in tone then Iron Man 1 and the consequences of that film were felt strongly through the whole Universe. Redford was a great villain. He just didn't have the theatrics. He was more a real world villain then anyone esle in the MCU. Winter Soldier made for a solid physical threat, and had a fantastic last moment with Cap.

They both have their own flaws. But it's all preference on what your willing to forgive. X-Men have yet to have a villain anywhere near Magneto even though it's the 7th film. Senintles, Frost, Deathstrike, Deadpool, Silver Samurai, Hellfire Club were all cable of alot more. They definitely have their own villain issues. Shaw was a pretty over the top villain but I thought he worked well. Wasted the Hellfire Club as a whole though. A majority of X-Men are never developed either. Personally can't stand mute characters in any comic film. My opinion aside, they are clearly on the right path with audiences, fans and critics much like Marvel is. I think Apocalypse will also meet some of those needs I have issues with. Better mutant villain, more classic X-Men etc.

Overall this year Winter Soldier, DOFP and GOTG succeeded with ridiculous universal praise. Just comes down to preference. All these films hit their goal. They are now 3 of the highest rated comic films of all time. All in one year. Pretty impressive, and the majority is more the pleased.

Last edited by def28; 08-25-2014 at 05:48 PM.
Old 08-25-2014, 09:33 PM   #83
ciscostudent561
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by def28 View Post
Disagree, the tone is why these films keep people coming. I thought Winter Soldier was actually much more serious in tone then Iron Man 1 and the consequences of that film were felt strongly through the whole Universe. Redford was a great villain. He just didn't have the theatrics. He was more a real world villain then anyone esle in the MCU. Winter Soldier made for a solid physical threat, and had a fantastic last moment with Cap.

They both have their own flaws. But it's all preference on what your willing to forgive. X-Men have yet to have a villain anywhere near Magneto even though it's the 7th film. Senintles, Frost, Deathstrike, Deadpool, Silver Samurai, Hellfire Club were all cable of alot more. They definitely have their own villain issues. Shaw was a pretty over the top villain but I thought he worked well. Wasted the Hellfire Club as a whole though. A majority of X-Men are never developed either. Personally can't stand mute characters in any comic film. My opinion aside, they are clearly on the right path with audiences, fans and critics much like Marvel is. I think Apocalypse will also meet some of those needs I have issues with. Better mutant villain, more classic X-Men etc.

Overall this year Winter Soldier, DOFP and GOTG succeeded with ridiculous universal praise. Just comes down to preference. All these films hit their goal. They are now 3 of the highest rated comic films of all time. All in one year. Pretty impressive, and the majority is more the pleased.
I agree with majority of your points here.

Except, Dofp villian was really good IMO. I also feel balance in Avengers was pretty good though the greatest threat came from SHIELD, go figure. But yeah I agree with pretty much all else =)

ciscostudent561 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 09:35 PM   #84
ciscostudent561
Side-Kick

Also,
how would you guys feel if Fox bought ALL the rights to X-men and did it's own comic, cartoon, TV series etc..

ciscostudent561 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 09:51 PM   #85
Zarex
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciscostudent561 View Post
Also,
how would you guys feel if Fox bought ALL the rights to X-men and did it's own comic, cartoon, TV series etc..
Disney would never sell those rights. I'm sure the Mouse would rather the X-Men fall into obscurity than to potentially strengthen a competitor. A deal can be made between FOX and Marvel, but it won't involve Disney relinquishing any additional character rights.

Zarex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 10:25 PM   #86
kguillou
Side-Kick

I'm very happy with the direction Fox is taking X-men. However, you just KNOW that if Marvel were in control we would get a film with the X-men in their classic costumes in all their glory. That's the one thing that the FOX films have not fully embraced yet. First Class flirted with the idea, and The Wolverine gave us that AWESOME alternate ending with Wolvie's brown suit. I want to see a film where its fully embraced like the Spiderman films or the Avengers. I can be done and it can be done well, just need a great costume designer.

kguillou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 10:34 PM   #87
marvelrobbins
Probationary Ban - I will return in a few days.

For most part MS films use the ultimate costumes not what I call "Classic outfits" which would outfits from 616 comics from 1960's to 1990's.

marvelrobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 10:42 PM   #88
def28
Side-Kick

For the most part? Pretty much all their costumes have popped up in 616 and even Hawkeyes suit is more 616 now. There isn't even an Ultimate version of GOTG or Wintersoldier. Heck I don't think there was a mark 42.

Most costumes are so similar it shouldn't even matter. The Ultimate designs with the exception of Hawkeye and Fury are all based off 616, if I'm not mistaken.
Quote:
I agree with majority of your points here.

Except, Dofp villian was really good IMO. I also feel balance in Avengers was pretty good though the greatest threat came from SHIELD, go figure. But yeah I agree with pretty much all else =)
I guess if Sentinels had more a place in future films I would have been more satisfied. Makes sense for the story, but would have preferred they always have a presence in the X-Men universe. I really like how Hydra continues to terrorize the MCU and wasn't just a one time thing.

I am glad that X-Men was one of the first films not to kill of their main baddies and continue to give him top notch moments. Just some of the later additions could have been handled better for appearances in the future.

Last edited by def28; 08-26-2014 at 01:37 AM.
Old 08-26-2014, 04:59 AM   #89
psylockolussus
Fierce User

Quote:
Also,
It would be cool if Fox has those rights. I can see Fox the TV studio and network working on a TV show and even an animated show to be aiied on their networks like Fox, FXX, Fx, etc... Though I don't think they have a comic-book company so I don't know about that.

But personally, I'm fine if they only have the film rights as of the moment.

Quote:
if Marvel were in control we would get a film with the X-men in their classic costumes in all their glory.
The film costumes of Hawkeye, Falcon, the Shield agents just came into my mind when I read that.

Old 08-26-2014, 05:28 AM   #90
def28
Side-Kick

Not really a good argument there though.

Plenty of Shield is/was in Blue jumpsuits. Debate could be made with Falcon. But Falcon never had time for a colorful costume. Maybe he will in Ultron, since he may be an Avenger now. But still, even in that case it was an improvment. Scarlet Wich and QS will probably go for a wardrobe change when they become Avengers as well.

Hawkeyes costume is now more 616. I actually think they should have went with the Ultimate mask. Looks a bit like Winter Solider so will probably never happen.

Comic accurate or not, I'd say X-Men's costuming is alot weaker then Marvels overall. Plenty they can improve on. With the team costumes think alot of people just preferred the FC flight suits compared to the OT cause they looked more interesting and original. Defined them alot better. DOFP was hit or miss on the future stuff imo. Blink looked great!

Last edited by def28; 08-26-2014 at 05:46 AM.
Old 08-26-2014, 05:46 AM   #91
psylockolussus
Fierce User

Still, the costume they wore in the film wasn't their *classic costume* in my opinion.

Anyway, X-Men's costumes are definitely harder to translate in live-action because their classic/traditional costume has a lot of color and you put them together, they would look like they are attending a cosplay event. Even if they take the Watchmen approach, it still wouldn't work that well with the tone of the Fox's X-Men movies.

For Marvel, the only one that has that "cosplay" look is Captain America, but the others no. Iron Man is wearing a suit, Thor is from fantasy land so his costume makes sense, Hulk wears a short and Black Widow wears a black ensemble but where's the gold belt? And to be fair to Fox, they did a pretty good job adapting the comic-book costumes of Daredevil, Fantastic Four, Doctor Doom, Elektra and Bullseye. But X-Men? Its pretty hard to pull off those costumes. Maybe the Ultimate X-Men costumes, sure, but the Ultimate Comics didn't come before the first movie went to production.

Last edited by psylockolussus; 08-26-2014 at 05:50 AM.
Old 08-26-2014, 05:47 AM   #92
def28
Side-Kick

Nah. The First Class suits worked solid. Blink was cool, Magneto as well. It's still fantasy, Sci Fi and ridiculous. People buy it.

Apocalypse will more then likely have something similar to First Class and people will dig it. The black suits are just boring. Been a complaint for awhile.

Old 08-26-2014, 05:49 AM   #93
Mrs. Sawyer
Banned User

Quote:
Still, the costume they wore in the film wasn't their *classic costume* in my opinion.

Anyway, X-Men's costumes are definitely harder to translate in live-action because their classic/traditional costume has a lot of color and you put them together, they would look like they are attending a cosplay event. Even if they take the Watchmen approach, it still wouldn't work that well with the tone of the Fox's X-Men movies.a

For Marvel, the only one that has that "cosplay" look is Captain America, but the others no. Iron Man is wearing a suit, Thor is from fantasy land so his costume makes sense, Hulk wears a short and Black Widow wears a black ensemble but where's the gold belt? And to be fair to Fox, they did a pretty good job adapting the comic-book costumes of Daredevil, Fantastic Four, Doctor Doom, Elektra and Bullseye. But X-Men? Its pretty hard to pull off those costumes.
Them having matching blue and yellow uniforms isn't that farfetched, especially in today's CBM landscape.

Mrs. Sawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 05:54 AM   #94
Mrs. Sawyer
Banned User

It really isn't hard at all. They didn't have their costumes (and don't have them yet), because of superhero movies being a hard sell at the time of the first X-Men movie, Bryan Singer not being a comic book person, and there not being a huge need to change the costumes.

Their uniforms from Astonishing can definitely work with the X-Men movies.

At worst, they'd have their Ultimate uniforms.

Last edited by Mrs. Sawyer; 08-26-2014 at 05:58 AM.
Old 08-26-2014, 05:55 AM   #95
psylockolussus
Fierce User

The First Class suits didn't even look that good, they get points for the use of color, but the over-all look? I don't think they're great and I remember when the first picture of the cast was released and they were wearing those suits, people weren't pleased with it.

Something like the costumes in the future period of DOFP would be a better inspiration for the costumes for Apocalypse. Just make it a little more neat-looking and use more details inspired from the books and I think they are good.

Old 08-26-2014, 05:57 AM   #96
def28
Side-Kick

Wolverines maybe. Add the color though.

Icemans and a few of the others were pretty lame.

Old 08-26-2014, 05:59 AM   #97
psylockolussus
Fierce User

I'm not calling them far-fetched or too costumey. They just don't appeal to me very much and besides the yellow and blue color scheme, they don't look similar to the blue-yellow costumes in the comics, well except for Banshee's wings. Remove the yellow/blue color and switch them with black, do you still like it for the design?

Last edited by psylockolussus; 08-26-2014 at 06:03 AM.
Old 08-26-2014, 06:02 AM   #98
Mrs. Sawyer
Banned User

I'd rather them keep DOFP costumes and DOFP and let the all black X-Men costumes die there. Not to mention, those suits were bulky and heavily armored (for good reason due to the context of the film, but shouldn't be brought back).

Old 08-26-2014, 06:02 AM   #99
def28
Side-Kick

Quote:
I'm not calling them far-fetched or too costumey.
What did you mean by they would look like cosplayers then?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker Wayne View Post
It really isn't hard at all. They didn't have their costumes (and don't have them yet), because of superhero movies being a hard sell at the time of the first X-Men movie, Bryan Singer not being a comic book person, and there not being a huge need to change the costumes.

Their uniforms from Astonishing can definitely work with the X-Men movies.

At worst, they'd have their Ultimate uniforms.
Agreed

Old 08-26-2014, 06:05 AM   #100
Mrs. Sawyer
Banned User

The First Class suits were designed to be more practical (than sleek) and 60s-ized. I wouldn't want those returning either.