The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men Sequels

Old 10-12-2017, 07:55 AM   #1
Supperhero
Side-Kick

Default Is "Logan" too overrated?

Is it me or "Logan" is a bit too much OVERRATED?
Don't get me wrong, I love Wolverine and I'm a huge X-Men films (and comics) maniac. I created and elaborated an X-Men films timeline which fixed all incongruences in the movie saga and ammassed 150.000 visitors so far. So I'm a big fan, not a detractor.
Yesterday I watched "Logan" on BD, in all it's full HD glory, and I think it's a very good movie... but eventually disappointing or at least not as brilliant as the critics and the fans pictured it.
The plot is too similar to many other escape movies out there, there's nothing brilliant or groundbreaking about it.
The direction is average, except for the "Charles Xavier's telepathic bursts" sequences, which felt very Nolanesque (Inception) and were well executed.
Cinematography was mostly good, but in the last third of the movie it turned out seemingly "TV-like" (the battle in the woods), even if high quality television-like.
Nobody noticed the parallel with "Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome" LOL. Hero + children. Weirdly, Mad Max 3 at the time was bashed and criticized, "Logan" wasn't.
The deconstructionism on Charles Xavier was too brutal and it destroyed the character: there's no trace of his past "nobilty" or even "intelligence" here. I don't think deconstructionism is always good or great. See what happened to Zack Snyder and his Superman.
Hugh's performance was stellar and having some crude Wolverine violence was great... but it's not enough to keep the movie "artsy" or "superior" to any other great superhero movie effort out there.
All in all, this works as a standalone "what if"/alternative world story. It's not a masterpiece. I think it's a great movie, but not a masterpiece like "The Dark Knight" or "Days of Future Past". And believe me, I'm very sorry for that.

Fixing the X-Men Cinematic Timeline.
Supperhero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 09:21 AM   #2
psylockolussus
Fierce User

Default Re: Is "Logan" too overrated?

I find it overrated.

Old 10-12-2017, 09:28 AM   #3
wampa1
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supperhero View Post
a masterpiece like "The Dark Knight" or "Days of Future Past"
Irony thread is ironic.

wampa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 09:41 AM   #4
NotNickFury
Side-Kick

The word 'overrated' nowadays gets thrown around so much, it almost boils down to 'You shouldn't like this thing that much because too many people like it.' Plus, all your criticisms come down to individual taste, and taste itself is subjective...so not sure how to call a film that's been out for less than a year overrated.

NotNickFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 10:37 AM   #5
Neptune
Uchiha!

I think it is. It's an ok movie but nowhere near as awesome as everyone says it is. But to be fair, i'm not a fan of Jackman's Wolverine so that might influence my opinion a bit. I think Deadpool, X-2. FC and DOFP are all way better movies.

Last edited by Neptune; 10-12-2017 at 10:42 AM.
Neptune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 04:45 PM   #6
Mike Murdock
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by psylockolussus View Post
I find it overrated.
But do you find it too overrated or just the perfect amount of overrated?

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
Mike Murdock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 05:47 PM   #7
Ene
Beef Jerky in a Ball Gown

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotNickFury View Post
The word 'overrated' nowadays gets thrown around so much, it almost boils down to 'You shouldn't like this thing that much because too many people like it.' Plus, all your criticisms come down to individual taste, and taste itself is subjective...so not sure how to call a film that's been out for less than a year overrated.
Absolutely. Logan deserves all the praise it gets, and I hope some awards season nominations are ahead.

Ene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 05:49 PM   #8
Mad Ones
Bebe le Strange

Why can't a movie in this genre get popular without a backlash?

Old 10-12-2017, 06:08 PM   #9
Milk Tray Guy
Man of Action

Well it's all personal opinion. If someone thought it was superb that's perfectly valid and for them it isn't overrated. For me personally yes it is overrated. I was expecting something truly astonishing from what I'd read and heard and I didn't get that. I got an enjoyable film with great performances from Jackman, Stewart, and Dafne Keen (definitely one to watch for the future) and some pretty cool action and effects. The story wasn't bad but didn't blow me away, the ending was nicely done, but tbh once X-24 showed up I guessed the way it was going, and although I like Stephen Merchant and Richard E. Grant I didn't think either was particularly good in this. I love the X-Men films and own all of them (well, apart from XOW) but for me Logan was nowhere near X2, FC, or DoFP.

"It's funny, isn't it? A life of truth, justice and the American, military, capitalist way. In the end, you die on the moon, wondering if your bowels will let go. And tomorrow, the world will go on like nothing happened. Dragged kicking and screaming to a better day." Manchester Black - Superman vs The Elite
Milk Tray Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 06:16 PM   #10
Kev4000
Side-Kick

I think the movie is overrated. The Family-plot was so predictable and the end-fight with all the Kids and there power awful. I loved the first half of the movie 10/10, but the second half in Maximum a 5/10 for me.

Old 10-12-2017, 06:36 PM   #11
Erik Lensherr
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supperhero View Post
Is it me or "Logan" is a bit too much OVERRATED?
Don't get me wrong, I love Wolverine and I'm a huge X-Men films (and comics) maniac. I created and elaborated an X-Men films timeline which fixed all incongruences in the movie saga and ammassed 150.000 visitors so far. So I'm a big fan, not a detractor.
Yesterday I watched "Logan" on BD, in all it's full HD glory, and I think it's a very good movie... but eventually disappointing or at least not as brilliant as the critics and the fans pictured it.
The plot is too similar to many other escape movies out there, there's nothing brilliant or groundbreaking about it.
The direction is average, except for the "Charles Xavier's telepathic bursts" sequences, which felt very Nolanesque (Inception) and were well executed.
Cinematography was mostly good, but in the last third of the movie it turned out seemingly "TV-like" (the battle in the woods), even if high quality television-like.
Nobody noticed the parallel with "Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome" LOL. Hero + children. Weirdly, Mad Max 3 at the time was bashed and criticized, "Logan" wasn't.
The deconstructionism on Charles Xavier was too brutal and it destroyed the character: there's no trace of his past "nobilty" or even "intelligence" here. I don't think deconstructionism is always good or great. See what happened to Zack Snyder and his Superman.
Hugh's performance was stellar and having some crude Wolverine violence was great... but it's not enough to keep the movie "artsy" or "superior" to any other great superhero movie effort out there.
All in all, this works as a standalone "what if"/alternative world story. It's not a masterpiece. I think it's a great movie, but not a masterpiece like "The Dark Knight" or "Days of Future Past". And believe me, I'm very sorry for that.
the guy from blu ray forum

Erik Lensherr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 06:52 PM   #12
psylockolussus
Fierce User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Murdock View Post
The latter. Not as overrated as TDK.

Old 10-12-2017, 07:01 PM   #13
InCali
I got a pUpgrade!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Murdock View Post
I find it just a little bit less overrated than perfectly overrated.

For me, Logan wasn't my cup of tea. I watched it first day, liked it, and recognized that it was a very well made movie. That being said, I didn't find it as appealing to my personal tastes as some other movies. So, less than too and perfectly overrated. Maybe almost kind of overrated

www.cloudvistas.com
InCali is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 07:16 PM   #14
psylockolussus
Fierce User

I just don't find it enjoyable as X2, First Class, Kingsman, Deadpool and Days of Future Past. But good for Fox that it ended up as a critical success after the disaster that was X-Men Apocalypse!

Old 10-12-2017, 09:02 PM   #15
Milk Tray Guy
Man of Action

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev4000 View Post
I loved the first half of the movie 10/10, but the second half in Maximum a 5/10 for me.
I also preferred the first half to the second. I gave it 7.5/10 overall.

"It's funny, isn't it? A life of truth, justice and the American, military, capitalist way. In the end, you die on the moon, wondering if your bowels will let go. And tomorrow, the world will go on like nothing happened. Dragged kicking and screaming to a better day." Manchester Black - Superman vs The Elite
Milk Tray Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 09:49 AM   #16
psylockolussus
Fierce User

I'll give it a 7/10. Maybe I need to watch it again but the X-Men being dead just didn't appeal to me and doesn't make me hopeful for the future of the X-Men in these films. Its like Fox is slowly trying to phase them out.

Old 10-13-2017, 10:31 AM   #17
FeedOnATreeFrog
(A Metal Gear reference)

Yes, imo.

The direction was on point, admirably un-superheroy, but the script just didn't have enough meat on the bones. Emotionally simplistic.

Last edited by FeedOnATreeFrog; 10-13-2017 at 11:09 AM.
FeedOnATreeFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 12:53 PM   #18
-JKR-
Side-Kick

Logan is a well-written and directed tense and emotional thriller, which doesn't cater to the usual superhero standards, but maintains its own personality. It's also the perfect swan song for both Hugh Jackman's Wolverine and Patrick Stewart's Professor X (and if you don't see the nobility in him here you should probably rewatch the movie).

So no, I don't agree with you. And I'm sorry that it's yet another stepping stone in your 'timeline issues', dude. And nope, it's not a 'what if' story, either.

-JKR- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 04:38 PM   #19
2kt09
Here 'N' There

There are a few writing and acting slip-ups for something trying to take its various themes seriously,
but those relationships are still the most nuanced I've seen in a while.

Whedon-----Guggenheim_____Kinberg
Gunn________Goyer
Reed________Snyder
2kt09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 05:08 PM   #20
Weather Witch
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotNickFury View Post
Plus, all your criticisms come down to individual taste, and taste itself is subjective...so not sure how to call a film that's been out for less than a year overrated.
This. It's all subjective of course. For me personally, I don't find Logan 'overrated' because I really love the movie and what it brings to the superhero genre. You point out the Dark Knight as a masterpiece instead and I find that movie extremely 'overrated' and undeserving of much of the praise it got. But it's really a case of 'to each their own'. A movie can't truly be overrated. You can just like it more or less than others. Nothing wrong with that either way though.

Old 10-30-2017, 09:30 PM   #21
henzINNIT
Side-Kick

I wouldn't say it's over-rated. Some issues for sure, the third act is a bit wank but the overall tone and substance of the film is potent. It'll be a memorable entry in the genre.

Old 10-30-2017, 09:37 PM   #22
Iceman
Infinity War!

Quote:
Originally Posted by henzINNIT View Post
I wouldn't say it's over-rated. Some issues for sure, the third act is a bit wank but the overall tone and substance of the film is potent. It'll be a memorable entry in the genre.
But it's not thought of in SHH circles as merely "a memorable entry in the genre". If it was it wouldn't be overrated at all. It might even be underrated.

Old 11-01-2017, 10:00 AM   #23
eon001
Side-Kick

Would have been perfect if they didn't include X24. It really took me out of the movie.

That role should have gone to an upgraded Pierce. It would have helped his villain arc.
I don't believe the movie needed a physical reminder of Wolverines "old self". I thought that was corny and unnecessary.

They were already dealing with pretty strong themes of parenthood and fatherhood between Xavier, Logan and Laura. They didn't need to deal with the additional theme of Wolverine confronting your former self.

And "It wasn't me Charles" line didn't hit me nearly as hard as everyone else. That should have been left on the cutting room floor. That being said the movie is still awesome.

I wouldn't say it was overrated despite my nit pick. I think it deserves all it's praise it got. I thought it was pretty ground breaking for the modern day super hero genre.

Last edited by eon001; 11-02-2017 at 05:48 AM. Reason: X23 typo
eon001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 12:38 PM   #24
x-er
Side-Kick

^ Do you mean X-24 the identical clone? Laura is X-23.

x-er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 01:28 PM   #25
psylockolussus
Fierce User

I would have liked it more if they just replaced X-24 and Pierce with Omega Red. Pierce was a weak villain while X-24 was another Wolverine clone.