The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men Sequels

Old 10-21-2017, 05:20 AM   #1
ludovica
Daddy Feige notice me!

Default Which X-Men characters could carry a solo film?

Which X-Men characters could carry a solo film?
Would you be happy with the prospect?

While I believe a Gambit movie is feasible, I'm not exactly anticipating it; I'd prefer it to come after a team outing and to feature both Remy and Rogue.
I would rather see a Storm film and pending Deadpool 2 reception I could also imagine a Cable one working.
But what I would really like is a Cyclops solo, I believe it could work with the right approach, he is the "Captain America" of mutants after all.

Black Widow, Wasp, Wanda, Valkyrie, Captain Marvel, Monica Rambeau & Black Panther for Avengers 5!

DCEU is dead, long live DCFU
DCFU optimist: Shazam!
ludovica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 06:38 AM   #2
Zant
Side-Kick

Default Re: Which X-Men characters could carry a solo film?

Dazzler, obviously...

Zant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 03:50 PM   #3
Lip
Side-Kick

The X-Films are really star-driven films. The actors are more important than the characters, and FOX hasn't change that mentality. Gambit is being made because of Tatum.

With that said, as much as I want a Storm movie, it isn't happening. FOX has shown for 18 years they have no faith in Storm as a character. And most recently they've shown they don't even have faith in her as a supporting character, given how she was reintroduced in the franchise.

So yeah, Josh Brolin's Cable has a lot of chance of having a solo film. Lawrence's Mystique and Fassbender's Eric too. So the characters really don't matter, but who is portraying them. If they get Ryan Gosling to play Pyro, he'll get a lot of chances of a solo movie too.

Lip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 04:07 PM   #4
x-er
Side-Kick

STRM

She's still getting ink solos.

x-er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 04:11 PM   #5
Ene
Beef Jerky in a Ball Gown

Storm has to get a solo film eventually. If Black Panther does well Fox should definitely look at a superhero film with a predominently black cast, and Storm would be the obvious contender. Another feasible option would be Rogue.

Some more far out ideas:
Longshot. Mojo network, a budget as small as possible, Yorgos Lanthimos directs with free hands.

Dazzler. Fox is taking risks, let's do a musical.

Cable. Nicolas Winding Refn directs, equal parts John Wick and Terminator.

Ene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 04:13 PM   #6
LaughterLives
Side-Kick

Multiple Man

LaughterLives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 04:20 PM   #7
x-er
Side-Kick

I'll unleash my fanboy fantasies too and vote RGUE

Old 10-21-2017, 04:21 PM   #8
x-er
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ene View Post
Cable. Nicolas Winding Refn directs, equal parts John Wick and Terminator.
featuring Hope Summers? That may have to be an ensemble.

Old 10-21-2017, 06:48 PM   #9
EnDz0n3
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip View Post
If they get Ryan Gosling to play Pyro, he'll get a lot of chances of a solo movie too.
I know you're joking but I'd watch that

EnDz0n3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 05:44 AM   #10
psylockolussus
Fierce User

I prefer ensemble movies focusing on a group of mutants. But anyone could carry a movie with a good script. While marketing is another factor, though I don't see why can't the likes of Cyclops, Storm, Rogue, Iceman, Psylocke, Angel, Beast, Phoenix headline their own solo film especially in the comics, there are issues when they are working on their own, facing their own problems an d enemies by themselves. A $50 million budget / smaller scaled for solo films would be nice. Though I prefer 1 and done solo films than a trilogy of Gambit films. Deadpool and Wolverine though warrant a trilogy just for their popularity, but they don't excite me compare to a X-Men ensemble film.

Old 10-22-2017, 11:18 AM   #11
FeedOnATreeFrog
(A Metal Gear reference)

Not that this would ever happen, but I can picture an indie rom-com Beast movie, especially with Nick Hoult in the role.

Last edited by FeedOnATreeFrog; 10-22-2017 at 11:39 AM.
FeedOnATreeFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 12:04 PM   #12
psylockolussus
Fierce User

He's awful as Beast. I wouldn't vwatch that.

Old 10-22-2017, 10:24 PM   #13
x-er
Side-Kick

^ only if it's a human love interest, i would watch it

oh dear I can already see the Disney film jokes and the beastiality jokes... nvm, don't think it'll happen

Last edited by x-er; 10-23-2017 at 12:30 PM.
Old 10-23-2017, 08:58 AM   #14
SumT
Side-Kick

since the tittle is "which could", my answer would be:

mostly everyone. with a great script and director.
Marvel Studios could sell absolutely any X-Man solo. Fox? sadly not.

Which ones Id like the most?

1. Storm
2. Psylocke
3. Rogue

Id keep Cyclops as the lead of the team movies. With the rest having equal screentime, more or less (Storm, Jean, Gambit, Rogue...)

SumT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 11:21 AM   #15
psylockolussus
Fierce User

I would love a solo film for Storm, Rogue, Psylocke and Jean then it would lead to the X-Women film.

Old 10-23-2017, 05:49 PM   #16
random_havoc
Side-Kick

Ugh, this thread just reminds me how badly they F'ed up the Wolverine movies. Old Man Logan was great of course but I would still love to see Wolverine in his prime in a movie that is really good as opposed to the burning vomit that they made

Old 10-23-2017, 08:27 PM   #17
GuestStar2004
Side-Kick

I am confused by the post above ^

J.J. Abrams “We are standing on the shoulders of Episodes I through VI.”

(Manage Your Expectations.)
GuestStar2004 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 10:23 PM   #18
ludovica
Daddy Feige notice me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumT View Post
since the tittle is "which could", my answer would be:

mostly everyone. with a great script and director.
Marvel Studios could sell absolutely any X-Man solo. Fox? sadly not.

Which ones Id like the most?

1. Storm
2. Psylocke
3. Rogue

Id keep Cyclops as the lead of the team movies. With the rest having equal screentime, more or less (Storm, Jean, Gambit, Rogue...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by psylockolussus View Post
I would love a solo film for Storm, Rogue, Psylocke and Jean then it would lead to the X-Women film.
That would be perfection.

Black Widow, Wasp, Wanda, Valkyrie, Captain Marvel, Monica Rambeau & Black Panther for Avengers 5!

Old 10-24-2017, 09:14 AM   #19
Neptune
Uchiha!

I don't see the point of this many solo movies when we've only had 2 (maybe 3) good team movies out of the 6 of them. Yeah sure Storm could have her own movie but i'd rather see all these xmen in an awesome team movie. The X-men are one big crazy family, i wanna see that on the big screen.

Neptune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 09:35 AM   #20
ludovica
Daddy Feige notice me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neptune View Post
I don't see the point of this many solo movies when we've only had 2 (maybe 3) good team movies out of the 6 of them. Yeah sure Storm could have her own movie but i'd rather see all these xmen in an awesome team movie. The X-men are one big crazy family, i wanna see that on the big screen.
I completely agree with you, this thread is meant to be hypothetical.
IMO a slate of solos is not a wise direction but I'd appreciate a one-off every couple of years.
Ideally after at least one team blue and one team gold movies.

Old 10-25-2017, 12:11 AM   #21
x-er
Side-Kick

Rogue used to be a crook at one point, before joining the X-Men and was disapproved of by the whole team. I believe the original X3 treatment involved Rogue infiltrating the Brotherhood and eventually rejoin the X-ranks. So, how about they explored that side of Rogue having her future self betray the X-Men? Say she goes "rogue" for a solo and joins the bad guys? Maybe she had something to do with Manchester and is still around? Maybe a film about her finding redemption for what she did, telling us what happened to the X-Men through flashbacks?

Definitely time to let her kick ass a bit.

Old 10-25-2017, 10:33 AM   #22
psylockolussus
Fierce User

Does Fox and the producers care about Rogue at this point?

Old 10-25-2017, 02:46 PM   #23
x-er
Side-Kick

Anybody who read the comicbooks or watched the cartoons do.
In my opinion, rogue and storm are the mutant superheroines girls looked up to the most.

Old 10-25-2017, 03:39 PM   #24
random_havoc
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuestStar2004 View Post
I am confused by the post above ^
I was expressing that while Logan was good I want a good Wolverine movie where he is in his prime, which we have not had. We had Origins which was disgustingly terrible, and The Wolverine which was simply bad.
That character could have such great solo movies made about him.

That said, yeah I'd rather see some really outstanding X-Men movies. Sadly we won't be getting that from Fox either. They're competent 30% of the time at best

Old 10-25-2017, 04:45 PM   #25
Mad Ones
Bebe le Strange

Ideally the Wolverine trilogy movies would be called: Weapon X, The Wolverine, and Logan. (Pre-X-men, as an X-man, Post-X-men). And they would all have Logan's quality.

The X-men have always worked better as an ensemble. Just look at how short-lived solo X-men comic books are aside from Wolverine. I'm not sure who could support a solo movie, I think some characters would have to be changed quite fundamentally in order to tell a story about them outside of the X-men. And the character would need a specific story to tell with a rogues gallery.

X23 obviously could work because of her connection to the Wolverine mythos - that's why they are working on a script.

Gambit has a shaky foundation, but his last solo was pretty good and he's getting a new comic with Rogue. A heist story is a good fit. The movie could draw from the thieves guild and marauders - it's not gold but it's something to work with.

Rogue has famous history with Ms Marvel. A movie about Rogue leaving the Brotherhood after absorbing someone's psyche would be compelling. Of course, Fox can't use Ms Marvel so that leaves her rogues gallery pretty weak. It's also a hard story to tell if she doesn't have the X-men's telepaths to help her deal. They would have to invent a character to replace Ms Marvel and include Xavier (or another telepath like Jean or Emma).

I'm not sure if Storm could support a film as she is now (both in the comics and films). They might want to use the Shadow King or the Adversary. But Storm's history is all over the place - will it be about Storm living on the street? Being a Goddess? - but how can you tell that without nasty cliches of Africans being savages? Being a Queen? - how do you tell that if you can't use Wakanda? Coates is writing a Storm series - I expect that a year into the comic we'll have a great guide for a Storm film, but work needs to be done first.

Cyclops has Sinister, but his identity is too tied to the X-men and his relationships (Xavier, Jean, Emma).

Teenage Jean Grey has a solo comic right now about her training and preparing to fight the Phoenix. That could potentially work, but not in the film climate we have now.

A Dazzler movie would be awesome if Fox made it about someone trying get a break in the music industry, but filled with references from the X-world. Play up the camp of a musical and break the fourth wall.

A Multiple Man movie would be awesome - make it a crime-detective story of him sending out his dupes to get information, but dealing with his own identity at the same time. I could see it with a trippy tone and concept like Momento, but a little more light-hearted and mainstream. This would be a great series.

Magik could have a movie about growing up in Limbo and overcoming Belasco's influence.

An Iceman movie could be about the intersection of being gay and a mutant. But this would be a better character arc in an ensemble. He has a solo comic series - the closest thing he has to a rogues gallery are the Purifiers and Daken.

Cable could probably support a movie, but I wouldn't be interested in it lol.

After typing all this up, I guess I would be most excited for a Dazzler, Multiple Man, or Magik movie/series. Of course, a good script could make any X-character work but the core X-characters would need a lot of changes. It would be better to develop them in an ensemble movie.

Last edited by Mad Ones; 10-25-2017 at 04:51 PM.
Mad Ones is offline   Reply With Quote