The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > TV Series > Marvel's The Inhumans

Old 12-30-2014, 09:52 AM   #76
SlamAdams
Side-Kick

Default Re: The Black Bolt Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Murdock View Post
But I don't recall Black Bolt ever being emotional. He's usually too reserved because he's got to show strength for his entire kingdom.
Ever the more important they get someone who can convey emotion really well. They'll have to do it silently, through grit teeth, conveying emotion without it on their sleeve. They have to reach the audience while hiding it from the other characters. That is a growing trait and definitely the biggest tool in the utility belt of some of the best actors working (Fassbender, Shannon, Gosling, etc).

Old 12-31-2014, 02:13 AM   #77
Nokio
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by S957 View Post
You're looking for a commanding presence - 1.9m+ & built, with a max age mid/late 30's (for a potential trilogy). I'd go with the existing chatter regarding Joe Manganiello.
Hmmm, i like him looks wise but ive seen his acting and im not sold on him either. He's better then VD though. I really cant think of anyone off the top of my head for BB. Maybe Eric Bana.

Nokio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 04:01 AM   #78
flickchick85
Loose Seal
SHH! Global Moderator

Ya know, I was fine with the idea of Diesel as Black Bolt just based on appearances when that was all I knew, but now that I've actually READ some Inhumans comics, I don't like it at all. As others have pointed out, Vin's strongest asset is his voice. Without it, I don't think he has the kind of presence or depth of expression needed for this role.

Black Bolt shouldn't be played by a beefcake kind of actor like Vin or Manganiello, imo. This role needs someone who excels more at silent expression - someone who more typically plays really intelligent, sensitive characters, because those are the ones who usually show more going on behind the eyes, like you can see the wheels turning when they're not saying a thing. I like the Eric Bana suggestion above. I also find Edgar Ramirez is quite good at this as well, though I doubt he's a big enough name for it. The Tom Hardys and Michael Fassbenders of the world are generally amazing at this type of acting, but they seem to be quite tied up in other things for the foreseeable future. Still, someone closer to that ilk should be what they aim for with this character, imo, rather the big, musclebound action guys.

"They say: sufferings are misfortunes...Once we're thrown off our habitual paths, we think all is lost; but it's only here that the new and good begins.

As long as there's life, there's happiness. There's much, much still to come."

Last edited by flickchick85; 01-03-2015 at 04:06 AM.
flickchick85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 06:20 AM   #79
BatsDC
Side-Kicker

Jake Gyllenhaal could be a great Black Bolt

BatsDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 05:17 PM   #80
TheComicbookKid
Swing n Miss

John Hamm.

TheComicbookKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 06:33 AM   #81
FortyMedusa
Stay Foolish Stay Hungry

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheComicbookKid View Post
John Hamm.
Yes Yes Yes!

FortyMedusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 12:13 PM   #82
Harry Dresden
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by flickchick85 View Post
Ya know, I was fine with the idea of Diesel as Black Bolt just based on appearances when that was all I knew, but now that I've actually READ some Inhumans comics, I don't like it at all. As others have pointed out, Vin's strongest asset is his voice. Without it, I don't think he has the kind of presence or depth of expression needed for this role.

Black Bolt shouldn't be played by a beefcake kind of actor like Vin or Manganiello, imo. This role needs someone who excels more at silent expression - someone who more typically plays really intelligent, sensitive characters, because those are the ones who usually show more going on behind the eyes, like you can see the wheels turning when they're not saying a thing. I like the Eric Bana suggestion above. I also find Edgar Ramirez is quite good at this as well, though I doubt he's a big enough name for it. The Tom Hardys and Michael Fassbenders of the world are generally amazing at this type of acting, but they seem to be quite tied up in other things for the foreseeable future. Still, someone closer to that ilk should be what they aim for with this character, imo, rather the big, musclebound action guys.
Good post +

Harry Dresden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 12:22 PM   #83
chamber-music
Infinity Ammo

Blackbolt is all about presence and what is going on behind the eyes.

Old 01-05-2015, 12:39 PM   #84
Harry Dresden
Side-Kick

Eric Bana isn't a bad idea.

You can see a little Black Bolt in his role as Nero.

Harry Dresden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 10:06 AM   #85
Nokio
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by flickchick85 View Post

great post! Ive been trying to come up with someone who's not the usual fan suggestions like Fassbender or Hardy, two guys it seems that are suggested for every comic character. I like the guys but they are way over rated here. I'm been giving it a lot of thought and Bana would be great, the only problem i can see Marvel having is his age, even though he's mid 40's which isn't a problem for me but for potential sequels the studio may feel otherwise but in his favor he is a male actor and entertainment industry is more easier on men then women. Also if people are rooting for Diesel, who's also mid 40's then Bana should be fine, no he's better then fine. Him as BB and Chastain as Medusa would be great. These are also roles where it shouldnt be an issue casting older then 20's and early 30s. They are both after all the leaders of the Inhuman society.

Last edited by Nokio; 01-06-2015 at 10:13 AM.
Old 01-06-2015, 10:09 AM   #86
Nokio
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatsDC View Post

Now thats a suggestion that i can support. This is one of the best comic characters that I think he would fit better then any other.

Old 01-06-2015, 10:17 AM   #87
Nokio
Side-Kick

Edgar Ramirez as someone suggested is good too, and him being hispanic brings in divirsity. Their are no hispanic heroes that i can think of off the top of my head, certainly not any that are relevant and popular.

Old 01-09-2015, 08:08 PM   #88
Keyser Soze
AW YEEEAH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatsDC View Post
I made the same suggestion in my casting call I made a while back. I really love the idea of Gyllenhaal as Black Bolt, and it's growing on me to the point that I might be a bit disappointed if he ends up not getting the role!

Old 01-11-2015, 09:59 PM   #89
marcvader
Lurker #1
SHH! Global Moderator

Gyllenhaal definitely has the expressive eyes for it.

Twitter- @mrpink13
marcvader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 01:14 AM   #90
AndrewGilkison
Side-Kick

Do we really need any kind of "name" for Blackbot given the character can't even talk?

AndrewGilkison is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 07:24 AM   #91
BatsDC
Side-Kicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewGilkison View Post
Do we really need any kind of "name" for Blackbot given the character can't even talk?
He needs to be able to emote without his voice, which in many ways makes him incredibly difficult to play. A 'name' actor isn't neccesary, but a great one is...

It's made me change my view on Vin entirely. He's an ok actor, but wrong for this part. He could always play another Inhuman instead

BatsDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 06:17 PM   #92
Lilbaz
Side-Kick

What about Jean Dujardin?

Lilbaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 06:02 PM   #93
ctriis
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilbaz View Post
What about Jean Dujardin?
Like the idea personally, but he might be a little too old and a bit short.

What about Armie Hammer or Josh Hartnett?

ctriis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 11:12 PM   #94
Nokio
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctriis View Post
Like the idea personally, but he might be a little too old and a bit short.

What about Armie Hammer or Josh Hartnett?
Not keen on Hammer but I like Hartnett better but im not sure he can emote with his eyes well. He's a decent actor but not a good one. I would've liked to see Hartnett for Batman as a replacement for Bale but Its too late. I wouldn't be against him as Blackbolt though.

Old 01-20-2015, 11:14 PM   #95
Nokio
Side-Kick

Gyllenhaal would be pretty good. He's a talented actor and as someone mentioned he can express well with his eyes.

Old 01-21-2015, 06:34 AM   #96
Side-Kick

People are stating basically that Vin can't act, you watch he's movies, yes not all the movies are great but Vin's performances have always been good, he's portrayals of Riddick in every film have been good (you may not like the films but Vin's performances were good), he can express emotion very well without speaking.

Everyone also have to remember that Black bolt is a superhero, the actor who plays him needs to be able to meet the physical requirements as well. It is no good having a tall thin actor when Black Bolt is anything but.

0604854 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 09:59 PM   #97
thanson
Side-Kick

Well Tom Hardy turned in his DC card so let's make it happen....

thanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 04:42 AM   #98
Side-Kick

Tom Hardy turned it down because he is busy with another movie, so it will be difficult as he has a packed schedule but I would not mind him as Black Bolt.

0604854 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 04:57 PM   #99
Lilbaz
Side-Kick

Think Hardy would be a bit wasted as Blackbolt. You're not going to see much of his face and he's going to have very limited dialogue. (most probably).

Lilbaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 10:08 PM   #100
rogue trooper
Side-Kick

Mads Mikkelsen. Check out in Valhalla Rising how much he does with no lines at all.

rogue trooper is offline   Reply With Quote