The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > TV Series > Marvel's The Inhumans

View Poll Results: Are you excited about this show?
Yes 59 85.51%
No 10 14.49%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2017, 11:46 AM   #1
Thread Manager
SHH! Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 0
Default Re: ABC's The Inhumans - General Discussion (news, updates, speculation...)

This is a continuation thread, the old thread is Here

Thread Manager is offline  
Old 05-04-2017, 11:46 AM   #2
Kaleb
Devil of Hells Kitchen
 
Kaleb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 24,418
Default ABC's INHUMANS


__________________
Avatar by Hunter Rider
Kaleb is offline  
Old 05-04-2017, 11:46 AM   #3
Zarex
Side-Kick
 
Zarex's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 6,056
Default Re: ABC's The Inhumans - General Discussion (news, updates, speculation...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry78 View Post
Chloe Bennet actually said that Marvel doesn't give a **** about their tv endeavors and I am starting to think she may have had something there.
I think the point she was trying to make was that Kevin Feige and Marvel Studios has no interest tying into what Jeff Loeb and his team are doing on the small screen. And I think the point was valid - AOS has been solid and is finishing up its best year and the non Iron Fist Netflix shows have been terrific. It would seem like greater coordination between TV and film would benefit both.

But then I see the Inhumans cosplay photo and I think Feige had the right idea in keeping the films separate from TV.

Zarex is offline  
Old 05-04-2017, 11:49 AM   #4
LoganGambit87
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 2,247
Default Re: ABC's The Inhumans - General Discussion (news, updates, speculation...) - Part 1

this may be one of the worst wigs i have ever seen

LoganGambit87 is offline  
Old 05-04-2017, 11:50 AM   #5
2kt09
Here 'N' There
 
2kt09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: NY, NY
Posts: 7,302
Default Re: ABC's The Inhumans - General Discussion (news, updates, speculation...) - Part 1


Not much for me to complain about.
Those are pretty much SyFy costumes from my end.

__________________
Make Marvel Animation Great Again
Cook and Weisman's The Spectacular Spider-Man is to cbtv what Singer's X-Men were to cbm's
MCU_________DCU___________X-MU
Whedon-----Guggenheim_____Kinberg
Gunn________Goyer
Reed________Snyder
2kt09 is offline  
Old 05-04-2017, 11:50 AM   #6
terry78
Will you shut up?!
 
terry78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Northwest Indiana
Posts: 75,411
Default Re: ABC's The Inhumans - General Discussion (news, updates, speculation...) - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoganGambit87 View Post
this may be one of the worst wigs i have ever seen
Clearly you are unaware of the musical genius that is Nicki Minaj.

__________________
If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses. - Henry Ford
-----------
Who the **** makes a movie and while planning it is like, "you know what this needs...is some Greg Kinnear."
terry78 is offline  
Old 05-04-2017, 11:54 AM   #7
DrCosmic
Professor of Power
 
DrCosmic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: In the Moment
Posts: 8,228
Default Re: ABC's The Inhumans - General Discussion (news, updates, speculation...) - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom View Post
Could've had a movie.
Could we have? Really?


Anyway:

Gorgon - Meh. The wheelchair bit for his backwards knees wouldn't have been out of place. This kind of underdeveloped Black guy is a huge problem in TV, writers not knowing what to do with their supporting Black characters, usually keeping them around in dumb annoying stories, making them evil, or killing them off. Gorgon, based on this, looks to be headed that way.
Karnak - Looks fine. I think his headpiece is about as relevant as Loki's and Thor's and will be missed based entirely on if the character is interesting without it or not. Based on what I see here, Karnak is likely to be the standout, great proven character actor, solo-worthy character with a clear 'thing.' I'm least worried about being bored or annoyed by this Karnak.
Blackbolt - While his headpiece is a bit more... him, I think that it too could have been reduced in some way. A cloth crown with a tuning fork would have been a good thing here. Without it, and with him just sporting plain blue leather, it does look outdated, it does look uninteresting. Admittedly Black Bolt is a hard character to translate, to get someone to emote to the audience without speech or narration boxes isn't an easy book to crack. Facial expressions is a natural go to for a tv showrunner, but Blackbolt needed something else, something smart and incredibly understated, and it looks like they don't have the finesse to pull him off, which bodes ill for the show as a whole.
Medusa - What a mistake. Why hire a hot young actress and then try to age her up? This emphasis on a purple gown and not on the red hair is saddening, and the hair doesn't just look fake, it's worse, it looks dead, which goes pretty heavily against her character. This is perhaps the greatest disappointment for what is the most dynamic character in the series to turn her into a kncokoff Cersei Lannister.
Crystal - Is fine. Nothing really of note here. Hopefully they know how to write young women so that she doesn't become completely annoying.
Maximus - Is fine, albeit a bit understated for someone with such a wild mind. A little white to go with his black would have been a fine touch. He's the one I'm second least worried about because of the actor's experience and the nature of the character as an on-hand bad guy could put him at Loki-Kingpin levels of awesome, if they don't totally botch the story.

I think this is pretty much case in point that they don't get the characters, which isn't any wonder, with the comics sending such mixed messages nowadays about what the Inhumans are and can be, it's no wonder that the showmakers got lost in Game of Thrones and X-Men influences and never really realized what they were looking at, and could only come up with this:


What's really sad is that someone thought were supposed to be wow-ed by him having the symbol, like it's the Superman 'S' and that alone is enough to excite people. These characters aren't icons, they're beloved characters. You can't botch up a Harry Potter spinoff and then show the Griffyndor crest and have people be excited.

__________________
X-Men TV Show Ideas
With a Ph.D in Metascience
"Sufficiently understood magic is indistinguishable from science."

Last edited by DrCosmic; 05-04-2017 at 12:03 PM.
DrCosmic is offline  
Old 05-04-2017, 11:55 AM   #8
Zarex
Side-Kick
 
Zarex's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 6,056
Default Re: ABC's The Inhumans - General Discussion (news, updates, speculation...) - Part 1

I can't wait to see them take on the Justice League!



Zarex is offline  
Old 05-04-2017, 11:58 AM   #9
psylockolussus
Fierce User
 
psylockolussus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: X-Mansion
Posts: 33,699
Default Re: ABC's The Inhumans - General Discussion (news, updates, speculation...) - Part 1

I hope so.

__________________
X - W O M E N
Dazzler • Jubilee • Phoenix • Polaris • Psylocke • Rogue • Shadowcat • Storm • White Queen
psylockolussus is offline  
Old 05-04-2017, 12:05 PM   #10
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themyscira
 
Dark Raven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Tall and tanned and young and lovely
Posts: 43,295
Default Re: ABC's The Inhumans - General Discussion (news, updates, speculation...) - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCosmic View Post
Could we have? Really?


Anyway:

Gorgon - Meh. The wheelchair bit for his backwards knees wouldn't have been out of place. This kind of underdeveloped Black guy is a huge problem in TV, writers not knowing what to do with their supporting Black characters, usually keeping them around in dumb annoying stories, making them evil, or killing them off. Gorgon, based on this, looks to be headed that way.
Karnak - Looks fine. I think his headpiece is about as relevant as Loki's and Thor's and will be missed based entirely on if the character is interesting without it or not. Based on what I see here, Karnak is likely to be the standout, great proven character actor, solo-worthy character with a clear 'thing.' I'm least worried about being bored or annoyed by this Karnak.
Blackbolt - While his headpiece is a bit more... him, I think that it too could have been reduced in some way. A cloth crown with a tuning fork would have been a good thing here. Without it, and with him just sporting plain blue leather, it does look outdated, it does look uninteresting. Admittedly Black Bolt is a hard character to translate, to get someone to emote to the audience without speech or narration boxes isn't an easy book to crack. Facial expressions is a natural go to for a tv showrunner, but Blackbolt needed something else, something smart and incredibly understated, and it looks like they don't have the finesse to pull him off, which bodes ill for the show as a whole.
Medusa - What a mistake. Why hire a hot young actress and then try to age her up? This emphasis on a purple gown and not on the red hair is saddening, and the hair doesn't just look fake, it's worse, it looks dead, which goes pretty heavily against her character. This is perhaps the greatest disappointment for what is the most dynamic character in the series to turn her into a kncokoff Cersei Lannister.
Crystal - Is fine. Nothing really of note here. Hopefully they know how to write young women so that she doesn't become completely annoying.
Maximus - Is fine, albeit a bit understated for someone with such a wild mind. A little white to go with his black would have been a fine touch. He's the one I'm second least worried about because of the actor's experience and the nature of the character as an on-hand bad guy could put him at Loki-Kingpin levels of awesome, if they don't totally botch the story.

I think this is pretty much case in point that they don't get the characters, which isn't any wonder, with the comics sending such mixed messages nowadays about what the Inhumans are and can be, it's no wonder that the showmakers got lost in Game of Thrones and X-Men influences and never really realized what they were looking at, and could only come up with this:


What's really sad is that someone thought were supposed to be wow-ed by him having the symbol, like it's the Superman 'S' and that alone is enough to excite people. These characters aren't icons, they're beloved characters. You can't botch up a Harry Potter spinoff and then show the Griffyndor crest and have people be excited.
That's an understatement. We're talking about Scott Buck as show runner here.

And Medusa's hair definitely looks terrible. I wonder if it is actually just a wig in the show, since we saw set pics of her with short hair. Maybe she wears a wig to hide her shaven locks.

Serinda Swan doesn't look good as Medusa at all though.

And Jorge Garcia would've looked better in that early 2000s X-Men uniform than Mount.

__________________
Quote:
Anne Hathaway: "You did not just ask me that!! What a forward young man you are!!! My goodness!!"
Dark Raven is offline  
Old 05-04-2017, 12:09 PM   #11
Double B
Side-Kick
 
Double B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,444
Default Re: ABC's The Inhumans - General Discussion (news, updates, speculation...) - Part 1

Oh wow.

Giving me late 90s cheap fantasy TV show vibes.

Medusa's wig!

Her shoulder padding!

I can't.

Double B is offline  
Old 05-04-2017, 12:13 PM   #12
MbJ
Side-Kick
 
MbJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 9,514
Default Re: ABC's The Inhumans - General Discussion (news, updates, speculation...) - Part 1

I knew they weren't gonna be in spandex and masks (called that forever ago) but Jesus, this is like, Smallville level bad.

MbJ is offline  
Old 05-04-2017, 12:13 PM   #13
Pokkle
Side-Kick
 
Pokkle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 1,410
Default Re: ABC's The Inhumans - General Discussion (news, updates, speculation...) - Part 1

Quote:
Q: Can you say where the show takes place: On Earth or Attilan?

I think we’re on both.

Q: Attilan moves, so is Attilan currently on Earth in your story?

Not when we go to Attilan, no.

Q: Does Inhumans live in the same universe as Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., considering on Earth there was this explosion of Inhumans?

We all inhabit the same universe, so things that have happened on S.H.I.E.L.D. will potentially affect our show as well.
http://ew.com/tv/2017/05/04/marvel-inhumans-photo-abc/

Attilan isn't on earth at the start, probably on the moon or something.

Pokkle is offline  
Old 05-04-2017, 12:15 PM   #14
DrCosmic
Professor of Power
 
DrCosmic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: In the Moment
Posts: 8,228
Default Re: ABC's The Inhumans - General Discussion (news, updates, speculation...) - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Raven View Post
That's an understatement. We're talking about Scott Buck as show runner here.

And Medusa's hair definitely looks terrible. I wonder if it is actually just a wig in the show, since we saw set pics of her with short hair. Maybe she wears a wig to hide her shaven locks.

Serinda Swan doesn't look good as Medusa at all though.

And Jorge Garcia would've looked better in that early 2000s X-Men uniform than Mount.
Ohmigosh, this is the guy that did Iron Fist?

It's clearly a wig for Medusa, and she probably shaved FOR the wig, and now we've got this to show for it, and it's really Buck's fault. I mean... just... how hard is this:



Sure you get rid of the mask, for acting and theming sake, fine, but you just... put her in a dress and add fifteen years to her face instead? Geez...

__________________
X-Men TV Show Ideas
With a Ph.D in Metascience
"Sufficiently understood magic is indistinguishable from science."
DrCosmic is offline  
Old 05-04-2017, 12:16 PM   #15
psylockolussus
Fierce User
 
psylockolussus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: X-Mansion
Posts: 33,699
Default Re: ABC's The Inhumans - General Discussion (news, updates, speculation...) - Part 1

To be fair, the costumes for Daredevil, Elektra, and Punisher look pretty bad. So who knows,may be its just the costumes. Iron Fist the show was mediocre though and Scott Buck is the show runner of this so.

I wonder if Lockjaw, Auran and Triton would look better?

__________________
X - W O M E N
Dazzler • Jubilee • Phoenix • Polaris • Psylocke • Rogue • Shadowcat • Storm • White Queen
psylockolussus is offline  
Old 05-04-2017, 12:18 PM   #16
Pokkle
Side-Kick
 
Pokkle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 1,410
Default Re: ABC's The Inhumans - General Discussion (news, updates, speculation...) - Part 1

The wig look bad but he said this:
Quote:
Q:How difficult is it to bring Medusa’s hair to life on film?

Scott:
It is very difficult. Even now, it’s still a process. It takes quite a long time in post to make that effect work. We have some of the best visual effects people available working on our show. We still haven’t seen the final version of it; it’s very much a work in process.

Pokkle is offline  
Old 05-04-2017, 12:20 PM   #17
MbJ
Side-Kick
 
MbJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 9,514
Default Re: ABC's The Inhumans - General Discussion (news, updates, speculation...) - Part 1

The Punisher looks fine. I don't know why you keep saying that.

Anyway about Agents of SHIELD:

Quote:
"We all inhabit the same universe," Buck told Entertainment Weekly, "So things that have happened on S.H.I.E.L.D. will potentially affect our show as well."
That should've been rather obvious but still.


Last edited by MbJ; 05-04-2017 at 12:26 PM.
MbJ is offline  
Old 05-04-2017, 12:21 PM   #18
psylockolussus
Fierce User
 
psylockolussus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: X-Mansion
Posts: 33,699
Default Re: ABC's The Inhumans - General Discussion (news, updates, speculation...) - Part 1

I just imagine with the film division handling this (same goes to the Netflix shows), there would be such a difference. With the Defenders, it looks like a bunch of angsty people in everyday clothes and now here, it looks like the cast of another Syfy show. I am even gonna comment about Cloak's blanket.

__________________
X - W O M E N
Dazzler • Jubilee • Phoenix • Polaris • Psylocke • Rogue • Shadowcat • Storm • White Queen
psylockolussus is offline  
Old 05-04-2017, 12:25 PM   #19
Double B
Side-Kick
 
Double B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,444
Default Re: ABC's The Inhumans - General Discussion (news, updates, speculation...) - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokkle View Post
The wig look bad but he said this:
This reads as them having a bit of a nightmare with it to be honest. I'm not sure how well they'll ultimately get it to look.

Double B is offline  
Old 05-04-2017, 12:40 PM   #20
DrCosmic
Professor of Power
 
DrCosmic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: In the Moment
Posts: 8,228
Default Re: ABC's The Inhumans - General Discussion (news, updates, speculation...) - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokkle View Post
The wig look bad but he said this:
This is another reason why he can't do this show. Medusa's hair is something you can't go straight at "Let's do a wig and some CGI" because OF COURSE that's going to be a nightmare, and give you something that's entirely unimpressive. This guy really shouldn't be in charge of anything but character drama, because he has no conception of hyperrealism, no imagination for it.

Because Medusa's hair is a constant reality for her, you essentially need to puppeteer it, though a few camera tricks, Grudge-style probably wouldn't be out of place. She has a monster on her head, and it should feel alive. That should inform how you bring it to life rather than what is the most conventional way to move hair despite it being impractical for the level of movement the character requires.

__________________
X-Men TV Show Ideas
With a Ph.D in Metascience
"Sufficiently understood magic is indistinguishable from science."
DrCosmic is offline  
Old 05-04-2017, 12:47 PM   #21
Dasher10
I'm like Deadpool IRL
 
Dasher10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 5,031
Default Re: ABC's The Inhumans - General Discussion (news, updates, speculation...) - Part 1

Wow. Those costumes look awful.

1. Thanks to the Entertainment Weekly watermark, I can't see of Gorgon has hooves or not. His costume still looks ugly with the poncho. They should have made him shirtless with fake body hair added in makeup.

2. Serinda Swan is 32 but looks around 54 in that pic thanks to whoever botched her makeup. Also, the hair dye that she's using is an awful color that's just painful to look at and the fabric on her costume looks ugly. Like, it's easier to do a better, cheaper Medusa costume with homemade materials.

3. Crystal's costume lacks sleeves and her wearing pants instead of a jumpsuit is a travesty. Whoever did her makeup also made her look too young.

4. Maximus looks like he's wearing street clothes. At least they didn't give him a bowl cut.

5. Where is Triton?

6. Black Bolt and Karnak look decent.

Those are the first thoughts that come to mind.

Scott Buck strikes again. The man ruined Iron Fist. Now he's ruining the Inhumans. At least Gorgon, Maximus, Karnak and Medusa are cast by competent actors. Then again, the cast of Iron Fist were all talented but the show's writing made even Rosario Dawson look bad. I have next to no faith in Scott Buck's vision for anything since he's capable of ruining anything he touches.

__________________
Fire Scott Buck
Dasher10 is offline  
Old 05-04-2017, 01:03 PM   #22
Steyin
Bidding you ADIEU!
 
Steyin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 3,678
Default Re: ABC's The Inhumans - General Discussion (news, updates, speculation...) - Part 1

Giant ugh.

__________________
I'm just a kid from Brooklyn

My LEGO Gallery
Steyin is offline  
Old 05-04-2017, 01:04 PM   #23
John Locke
One is Dark One is Light
 
John Locke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 7,418
Default Re: ABC's The Inhumans - General Discussion (news, updates, speculation...) - Part 1

Blackbolt looks like they combined both suits Clark wore as the Blur on Smallville.

John Locke is offline  
Old 05-04-2017, 01:11 PM   #24
Rorschach2012
I'll Cancel The Pizza
 
Rorschach2012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 15,630
Default Re: ABC's The Inhumans - General Discussion (news, updates, speculation...) - Part 1

yknow i hate being negative. but this looks horrible. should've been a movie.

Rorschach2012 is offline  
Old 05-04-2017, 01:12 PM   #25
Pokkle
Side-Kick
 
Pokkle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 1,410
Default Re: ABC's The Inhumans - General Discussion (news, updates, speculation...) - Part 1

It look a little better like this:


Pokkle is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:00 AM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"



Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2018 All Rights Reserved.