The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > TV Series > Marvel's The Inhumans

View Poll Results: Are you excited about this show?
Yes 59 85.51%
No 10 14.49%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 05-04-2017, 03:20 PM   #76
Willie Lumpkin
Trophy Husband

Default Re: ABC's The Inhumans - General Discussion (news, updates, speculation...) - Part 1

Am I the only one who used to wonder: "Is Crystal's hair actually colored like that, or is it some sort of bow?" Looks like they're going with the color theory.

Old 05-04-2017, 03:32 PM   #77
Ene
Beef Jerky in a Ball Gown

Default Re: ABC's The Inhumans - General Discussion (news, updates, speculation...) - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Lumpkin View Post
Hey, you know what?

Those costumes are better than the ones from this "Big Budget, Major Motion Picture":

Ah, the iconic reshoot wig. I think they must have found Medusa's wig from the exact same dumpster they took that one from.

Old 05-04-2017, 03:36 PM   #78
terry78
I don't die, fool

I don't hit AICN that much, but I may have to go over to their comments section for this one.

Old 05-04-2017, 03:36 PM   #79
Zarex
Side-Kick

Those wigs just scream "We're not trying!"

Old 05-04-2017, 03:40 PM   #80
rogue trooper
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by MbJ View Post
The Punisher looks fine. I don't know why you keep saying that.
He totally does, and so does Daredevil. Just wanted to point that out.

Anyway, yeah, Gorgon and Maximus look a bit generic to what their comic counterpart look. Hopefully it's something that will be a work in progress(same with all Inhumans here, pretty much). Black Bolt's costume doesn't look too bad here, but yeah, hopefully an iconic headpiece will find it's way eventually. Crystal looks fine. Medusa is ok. Hopefully the wig will somehow not look as "tacky" in the actual show.

Last edited by rogue trooper; 05-04-2017 at 03:43 PM.
Old 05-04-2017, 03:41 PM   #81
terry78
I don't die, fool

The CG Lockjaw will be the true test. If he actually looks decent I can forgive some of the rest.

Old 05-04-2017, 03:42 PM   #82
Iceman
Infinity War!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abudefduf View Post
Look, it's not that I don't care and have no hopes for this show but can whoever's in charge of it just stay the heck away from Ms Marvel.
And Iron Fist please!

Old 05-04-2017, 03:44 PM   #83
Iceman
Infinity War!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoredGuy View Post
Wow yeah, these are pretty awful
-Maximus, Karnak, and Gorgon aren't terrible, just a tad boring
-Crystal looks closest to her comic counterpart, but still looks super awkward
-Blackbolt is very disapponting, his is one of my favorite comic costumes
-Medusa is utter dogs**t, only some stellar vfx on the hair could possibly save that

But yeah, pretty bummed
it's a damn shame black bolt won't get his mask
And before anybody gives the "he needs his face to emote" defense, Chris Evans does a damn fine job emoting through his mask. As long as the eyes and mouth are both visible, it shouldn't be that tough

LOL
Plus Blackbolt's mask is pretty iconic.

Old 05-04-2017, 03:52 PM   #84
psylockolussus
Fierce User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Raven View Post
I think Marvel will hire Scott Buck for Fantastic Four.
I hope not.

Old 05-04-2017, 04:03 PM   #85
Fincher
Too far gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry78 View Post
The CG Lockjaw will be the true test. If he actually looks decent I can forgive some of the rest.
If Medusa's wig looks bad because they spent all the money on the dog, I'm going to have it in for him.

Old 05-04-2017, 04:06 PM   #86
psylockolussus
Fierce User

Its weird that they didn't include Triton in the shot. Its either he's full CGI or his practical effects weren't ready for the photoshoot.

This is my concern all along coming true. Marvel Television just don't have the resources to make visuals and showcase production values as expensive looking as the movies. Ideally, these shows should look as grand as the movies (or at least half as grand) and each episode would be a visual fest, if not a weekly must see Tv. I feel like every live action MCU show showcased an example of being restricted/limited in terms of production value because it's not a movie. And with this one, we haven't seen the trailer and it already looks cheap. Even the poster looks fan made.

Good thing, this will only have 8 episodes, so if its really bad, there will be fewer episodes to finish.

Last edited by psylockolussus; 05-04-2017 at 04:14 PM.
Old 05-04-2017, 04:30 PM   #87
TheComicbookKid
Swing n Miss

So this is how Marvel's streak ends? Iron Fist on the tv side and Inhumans on the movie side.

Everyone though Ant-man or Strange would do.

Old 05-04-2017, 04:31 PM   #88
Leo Zelinsky
Mutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Lumpkin View Post
Hey, you know what?

The agreement also provides Disney with the opportunity to reunite the X-Men with the Marvel family under one roof and create richer, more complex worlds of inter-related characters and stories that audiences have shown they love.
Old 05-04-2017, 04:40 PM   #89
RockSP
MYTH SMITH ∞!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheComicbookKid View Post
So this is how Marvel's streak ends? Iron Fist on the tv side and Inhumans on the movie side.

Inhumans is still on the tv side.

"We're living in a world where we're having our rights taken away by giant corporations, and [fanboys] were cheering for another corporation to eventually take our rights away...because we'll get superhero movies!" --writer Brandon Easton on the Disney/Fox merger

https://www.facebook.com/MythworldeMedia/
Old 05-04-2017, 04:43 PM   #90
psylockolussus
Fierce User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheComicbookKid View Post

I don't think Inhumans is qualified as a movie. IMAX is just airing the first two episodes. It is very much a TV show.

Old 05-04-2017, 04:43 PM   #91
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by psylockolussus View Post
This is my concern all along coming true. Marvel Television just don't have the resources to make visuals and showcase production values as expensive looking as the movies. Ideally, these shows should look as grand as the movies (or at least half as grand) and each episode would be a visual fest, if not a weekly must see Tv. I feel like every live action MCU show showcased an example of being restricted/limited in terms of production value because it's not a movie. And with this one, we haven't seen the trailer and it already looks cheap. Even the poster looks fan made.
So, TV *is* less expensive than movies, and that's alright. What boggles the mind is that this show is trying to build around CGI instead of prosthetics (which is the more likely reason you don't see Triton) which is mental in terms of driving up costs and making everything still look cheap.

I think better decisions all around could have made each of these shows look much more high cost. Agents of SHIELD for instance would have worked much better with a smaller cast at a normal facility, spending it's budget on wow-per-episode as opposed to just supporting this gargantuan repetitive status quo and infrastructure. More Fringe, less Firefly.

Old 05-04-2017, 04:48 PM   #92
psylockolussus
Fierce User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCosmic View Post
So, TV *is* less expensive than movies, and that's alright. What boggles the mind is that this show is trying to build around CGI instead of prosthetics (which is the more likely reason you don't see Triton) which is mental in terms of driving up costs and making everything still look cheap.

I think better decisions all around could have made each of these shows look much more high cost. Agents of SHIELD for instance would have worked much better with a smaller cast at a normal facility, spending it's budget on wow-per-episode as opposed to just supporting this gargantuan repetitive status quo and infrastructure. More Fringe, less Firefly.
Medical dramas, crime procedurals, sitcoms, reality shows... Those are the kind of shows that don't need a huge budget and won't be limited in terms of what they can do in the context of the show. But these Marvel properties, they need a bigger budget than most TV shows. Just with the technical side like costumes, stunts, on set location,vfx, those are required for a bigger budget. And with the MCU movies looking more spectacular than ever, it is just magnifies the shortcomings of the MCU TV shows.

They should just abandon their live action TV series (specifically Inhumans, Netflix leads) and move them to the film division.

Last edited by psylockolussus; 05-04-2017 at 04:59 PM.
Old 05-04-2017, 05:21 PM   #93
TheComicbookKid
Swing n Miss

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockSP View Post
Inhumans is still on the tv side.
Quote:
I don't think Inhumans is qualified as a movie. IMAX is just airing the first two episodes. It is very much a TV show.
Oh, okay. I thought I remembered this being on the Marvel movie slate with Strange and Panther but then got a tv-movie deal so I figured it was still apart of the movie slate.

Old 05-04-2017, 05:43 PM   #94
Spiderine
Sho nuff

I was disappointed when this didn't remain a big screen adaptation.

Old 05-04-2017, 05:50 PM   #95
#root
Side-Kick

The others look ok I guess, but Black Bolt and Medusa look awful. Like I legit feel bad for that poor actress having to wear that wig.

Old 05-04-2017, 05:59 PM   #96
Random490
Side-Kick

Aside from Medusa, which I'm hoping is just a bad photo(unlikely), I like the designs. Royal, but not overly designed and still invoking the comics. I feel like if Marvel studios made it, the design would be the same but just created from expensive custom material and more form fitting. It's not like TV has the budget to do body scans.

Old 05-04-2017, 06:00 PM   #97
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themyscira

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fincher View Post
If Medusa's wig looks bad because they spent all the money on the dog, I'm going to have it in for him.
It's always the dog's fault. For Fant4stic, they spent all the money on fixing the damage done by Trank's dogs, and now Buck spends it on trying to bring Lockjaw to life.

Buck doesn't know how to handle comic book properties. He's always talking about how difficult it is to do something, whereas another person would probably have the vision and creativity for it.

Old 05-04-2017, 06:33 PM   #98
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

Quote:
Medical dramas, crime procedurals, sitcoms, reality shows... Those are the kind of shows that don't need a huge budget and won't be limited in terms of what they can do in the context of the show. But these Marvel properties, they need a bigger budget than most TV shows. Just with the technical side like costumes, stunts, on set location,vfx, those are required for a bigger budget. And with the MCU movies looking more spectacular than ever, it is just magnifies the shortcomings of the MCU TV shows.

They should just abandon their live action TV series (specifically Inhumans, Netflix leads) and move them to the film division.
Limits are good. If MCU could make an unlimited number of films, we never would have gotten a DD with thematic weight as big as Netflix's and Kingpin would have been yet another wasted marvel baddie. Limits invite creativity and that's why the Netflix series are so popular, far more than they would be if they tried to be films. Those properties absolutely do not need film budgets, and would be much poorer entertainment if they were trying to meet a certain spectacle. Sure they need a better costume designer and tighter pacing, but throwing money at the problem does not fix Iron Fist, as we can see by giving the same creator even more money, he can't even dress the people right. Agents of SHIELD definitely didn't need to be a film to give us the same good spy fun that's been done excellently on tv budgets since Get Smart.

At some point, we need to credit the people who are jacking up the characters with their choices, and not call lack of creativity and interest a lack of money and simply hope more money will fix everything. DC is throwing more money at the problem and it hasn't given them much to show for it. Better promo posters do not make for better products.

Reportedly they have 100M to do 8 episodes. That's 12 million an episode. That's more than Rome or Game of Thrones. Does this photo look more expensive than Game of Thrones?

If not... is that because they don't have the *money* to make it look expensive, or they just don't have the talent?

Old 05-04-2017, 06:43 PM   #99
psylockolussus
Fierce User

Is that true? That's insanely high for a TV show but still if this was a movie, it would get a higher budget for a more or less 2 hours of screentime.

Old 05-04-2017, 06:51 PM   #100
OB12
Side-Kick

I guess I am one of the few that doesn't find the picture all that objectionable. The only thing that I find a bit disappointing is that Black Bolt looks a bit plain. I think adding a crown with the tuning fork at the center would've paid homage to the comic design while also conveying the sense that this is royalty. As it is, there is nothing that really tells me that this is a royal family.

I get the Medusa criticisms but I'm going to reserve judgement until I see the trailer. I think maybe she will look better in motion.

Closed Thread