The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > TV Series > Batwoman

Old 07-19-2018, 08:47 AM   #151
Side-Kick

Default Re: BATWOMAN -- New CW Series -- Coming Soon!

Too young and in Deadpool but: Brianna Hildebrand

0604854 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 08:58 AM   #152
jmc
away for a while

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0604854 View Post
Ok so we need an actress who is not too big for CW, is a lesbian and is 25-29 year old as well as all the other considerations when casting. I feel they have made their job extremely more difficult than needed, why not have it open to all sexual orientations? lots of straight women have done excellently in the past in these roles and it is disappointing that the CW have taken this approach. I am also extremely disappointing that Katee Sakchoff was in last seasons Flash as she would have been great.
Not to mention has the right body shape, looks like the character, is tall enough, is attractive enough, etc. You're right, they have made their job more difficult.

jmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 08:58 AM   #153
HBarnill
Side-Kick

Default The Official Batwoman News & Discussion Thread

Let’s keep things civil, please.

HBarnill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 08:59 AM   #154
Side-Kick

Caitlin Stasey (was in Reign a CW TV series and is a lesbian so that's 2 boxes ticked)

Old 07-19-2018, 10:34 AM   #155
jolldan
Side-Kick

Default Re: The Official Batwoman News & Discussion Thread

Im not gonna lie I like the sound of this I hope they do her character somewhere in between a Batman and Jessica Jones type. (fans of her comic are probably screaming right now lol)

Old 07-19-2018, 11:19 AM   #156
Teelie
Incredulous Spider-Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc View Post
What people? Twitter crazies? Those people make up a minority of people who watch TV and film. And as I said, how do you go about checking someone's sexuality during an audition?
I don't think you notice the irony of being a Twitter crazy complaining on the opposite side but all of the subsequent posts by 0604854 show it is not hard to do a check for someone who fits the description if they need to do a lesbian check on the actress first.

Teelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 12:39 PM   #157
Fincher
Too far gone

In all fairness, Stephen Amell and Grant Gustin weren't well known when they were cast.

Fincher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 01:04 PM   #158
Silver Lantern
Side-Kick

A show based on Katy Kane/ Batwoman will be awesome to see and a replacement for arrow or a new show on cw. I hope this show is dark like arrow with assortment of villains and main villain for season. I have high hopes for this. I hope she has the secret base, motorcycle, flight wing, and lair in river bed like animated movie but her suit red and black version and no team, just a helper or two one male and a female in lair.

Silver Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 01:06 PM   #159
Shinobi Shaw
The Black King of THC

As long as she doesn't utter the line "F*** Batman", I think a Kate Kane series will be fine.

Shinobi Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 01:37 PM   #160
BestGirl
Chillin' on Dragonstone

All this hyperventilation is for nothing; this is a CW show, not Shakespeare. It really shouldn't be hard to find a lesbian to play Batwoman. And if they absolutely can't find a suitable lesbian actress they'll just cast a straight one and tell her to pretend she's bi.

Cynicism is not maturity, do not mistake the one for the other. If you truly cannot accept a story where someone does the right thing because it’s the right thing to do, that says far more about who you are than these characters. - Greg Rucka
BestGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 07:05 PM   #161
jmc
away for a while

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teelie View Post
I don't think you notice the irony of being a Twitter crazy complaining on the opposite side but all of the subsequent posts by 0604854 show it is not hard to do a check for someone who fits the description if they need to do a lesbian check on the actress first.
5 or 6 names is hardly anything to go off. By the way Caitlin Stasey is married to a guy, she seemed to go back and forth about what she identifies herself as. She’s also way too short.

Old 07-19-2018, 09:39 PM   #162
Teelie
Incredulous Spider-Man

No but in the span of time it took to complain he easily listed a half dozen names. I'm sure a casting director has better resources than someone randomly on the internet.

Old 07-19-2018, 09:56 PM   #163
Random490
Side-Kick

I think it's a great idea to do a Batwoman show. It's a good way to have a Batman-type-show-without-Batman where you're using a character with enough connection with the mythos while being separate enough to give creative freedom with the show. I kind of hope it's like Supergirl where Batman exist in the world and might show up, with Batwoman being in a different city.

I'm interested how it will play out.

Random490 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 11:12 PM   #164
Immortalfire
Nothing So Divine
SHH! Global Moderator

http://www.superherohype.com/news/41...ies-for-the-cw

Quote:
armed with a passion for social justice and a flair for speaking her mind, Kate Kane soars onto the streets of Gotham as Batwoman, an out lesbian and highly trained street fighter primed to snuff out the failing city’s criminal resurgence.
That is the most absurd heap of PC crap I have ever read

Vartha ~ (1961-2017) Our Mod of Thunder
Immortalfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 11:17 PM   #165
Teelie
Incredulous Spider-Man

It is cringeworthy but I hope it doesn't preach too much. Sometimes it's best to lead by example, not sermoning to the audience.

Old 07-20-2018, 01:22 AM   #166
Wheels
Eat my shorts
SHH! Global Moderator

It's annoying because I understand the idea of representation, and how entertainment needs to reflect society, but it has gotten to an extreme "Us vs Them° level Where you're either cast as an SJW or alt right person in a discussion or debate. It's a shame everything has gotten so out of hand. Now everything is a political statement. You can't talk about Star Wars anymore without people making comments about Social Justice Warrior agendas. Then you get other people who make such a big freaking deal about how "OMG amaze balls" it is every time anything remotely classified as progressive happens. It's mostly the studios seemingly patting themselves on the back for doing things they could have already done to make more money. "Yay look how great we are for finding a new demo!" BS marketing aside. the show itself has me interested. Don't talk about it, be about it.

Last edited by Wheels; 07-20-2018 at 01:44 AM.
Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 02:05 AM   #167
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

Quote:
Not to mention has the right body shape, looks like the character, is tall enough, is attractive enough, etc. You're right, they have made their job more difficult.
Eh, I really don't think it makes it that more difficult. No more than any other role with specified age, race, gender, body type, etc.

I mean, it's Hollywood and I'm sure they're looking beyond LA. So, it's not like there's a really limited range of lesbian (or bisexual if they're open to that too) actresses that could fit the bill.

I was at some diplomatic party once. Got to talking to this princess who told me that when it came to Superman, I was missing the point. She told me, "His real strength lay in his generous spirit and sense of what's fair." - King Faraday

"
He’s much more of a working class superhero, which is why we ended the whole book with the image of a laboring Superman. He’s Everyman operating on a sci–fi Paul Bunyan scale." - Grant Morrison

"Self Portrait" By Batman
Lencho01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 02:20 AM   #168
jmc
away for a while

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teelie View Post
No but in the span of time it took to complain he easily listed a half dozen names. I'm sure a casting director has better resources than someone randomly on the internet.
And he could probably have come up with about a hundred actresses in the same time had sexuality not been a criteria.

Old 07-20-2018, 03:28 AM   #169
Side-Kick

Quote:
And he could probably have come up with about a hundred actresses in the same time had sexuality not been a criteria.
That's the point sure I can find a few names but first off not many would be considered or even interested in the role, second a lot of those were Bi which I don't think the CW wants (they want lesbian not Bi).

Why narrow your field like this, why not cast the net as wide as possible and then ask: could this actor portray the Lesbian aspects of the character? could they portray the other aspects? etc.

Old 07-20-2018, 03:48 AM   #170
Side-Kick

Will Batman appear or will they say

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1u5...fl_G_VRmcajvVX

Old 07-20-2018, 03:58 AM   #171
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themyscira

Let's say they did cast Bex Taylor Kraus because she's a lesbian (even though she's already played Sin in Arrow). She's not exactly the most appealing to watch and I personally wouldn't want to follow a series with her.

I'm sure many would watch just because it's Batwoman and because she's a lesbian, even if she's not the most attractive. I'd rather they found someone who has broader appeal.

Amber Heard used to be in a TV show. But she's Mera now in Aquaman. But I wouldn't really want her for Batwoman because although she's very pretty, I don't think she's suited to the role. She's bi anyway.

Dark Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 06:49 AM   #172
Side-Kick

Here is the point, to try and attract more people to the crossover/series you want an actress which people will say "I would like to see a series with her" the problem is I cannot find an actress who fits the CW criteria who also fits this (bearing in mind it needs to be an actress who will take the role)

Old 07-20-2018, 06:59 AM   #173
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themyscira

Ok here are two potential candidates that I remembered from one series "Carmilla."

Elise Bauman (but she's bi)

Natasha Negovanlis (who played the title character in that series)

That series was a a total bore fest and seems like it would only appeal to a certain demographic rather than having broad appeal. I checked it out because I knew of the character from these Hammer horror movies. It wasn't like that.

Anyway, either of those could potentially play Kate Kane, but Elise Bauman might be excluded. They're both potentially CW types though. I'd rather watch Bauman than Negovanlis as the lead as she has more personality.

Old 07-20-2018, 07:14 AM   #174
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themyscira

On second thoughts, Elise Bauman might be a bit too much like Felicity Smoak, and we don't need that. She'd do plucky sidekick well, but not sure about heroic lead.

And Natasha Negovanlis is a bit dull to watch and has always played off Elise Bauman for personality. She's always been more of the "straight" woman compared to Bauman's more comedic routine.

They were also in another film together, Almost Adults.

Old 07-20-2018, 07:47 AM   #175
Shinobi Shaw
The Black King of THC

This would've been a good vehicle for Laura Prepon.

Unsure if she's a lesbian though.

Shinobi Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote