The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > SHH Community > Politics

View Poll Results: Is it time to legalize pot?
Yes 177 74.37%
No 48 20.17%
I don't know 13 5.46%
Voters: 238. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2013, 01:36 PM   #626
MessiahDecoy123
Noble Savage
 
MessiahDecoy123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 21,696
Default Re: Discussion: Legalizing Marijuana II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thought Crime View Post
The whole legalize weed platform just strikes me as ... Well, I mean, a country with an already pretty bad appetite for drugs wants more drugs legalized. "WE NEED MORE DRUGS! Weed isn't enough to get me high anymore." I know their not asking for harder drugs being legalized (or are they?), but that's the way it strikes me.
The Drug War has been going on for almost a century and guess what? Prohibition doesn't lower drug use.



It only waste tax payers dollars to unsuccessfully fight the rampant black market for drugs.

It's better to regulate and tax drugs and use the tax revenue for education and healthcare/rehab.

That's exactly what they plan on doing in Colorado and Washington State.

__________________
"Year off, got no rules, tripping off of them toadstools
More green than my Whole Foods
And I'm too fly: Jeff Goldblum " - Childish Gambino
MessiahDecoy123 is offline  
Old 03-18-2013, 01:37 PM   #627
MessiahDecoy123
Noble Savage
 
MessiahDecoy123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 21,696
Default Re: Discussion: Legalizing Marijuana II

edit

__________________
"Year off, got no rules, tripping off of them toadstools
More green than my Whole Foods
And I'm too fly: Jeff Goldblum " - Childish Gambino
MessiahDecoy123 is offline  
Old 03-18-2013, 01:42 PM   #628
Thought Crime
Banned User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 299
Default Re: Discussion: Legalizing Marijuana II

***


Last edited by Thought Crime; 03-31-2013 at 01:36 AM.
Thought Crime is offline  
Old 03-18-2013, 02:30 PM   #629
MessiahDecoy123
Noble Savage
 
MessiahDecoy123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 21,696
Default Re: Discussion: Legalizing Marijuana II

When the laws do more harm than the drugs themselves, then yes, we should have fewer laws.

__________________
"Year off, got no rules, tripping off of them toadstools
More green than my Whole Foods
And I'm too fly: Jeff Goldblum " - Childish Gambino
MessiahDecoy123 is offline  
Old 03-18-2013, 02:33 PM   #630
Thought Crime
Banned User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 299
Default Re: Discussion: Legalizing Marijuana II

***


Last edited by Thought Crime; 03-31-2013 at 01:44 AM.
Thought Crime is offline  
Old 03-18-2013, 02:40 PM   #631
Whiskey Tango
Side-Kick
 
Whiskey Tango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: The South
Posts: 25,209
Default Re: Discussion: Legalizing Marijuana II

"Judging by every metric, decriminalization in Portugal has been a resounding success," says Glenn Greenwald, an attorney, author and fluent Portuguese speaker, who conducted the research. "It has enabled the Portuguese government to manage and control the drug problem far better than virtually every other Western country does."

Decriminalizing Drugs in Portugal a Success, Says Report

__________________
"That was the edge Parker had; he knew that survival was more important than heroics. It isn't how you play the game, it's whether you win or lose.”
~ Richard Stark, Deadly Edge

2007-2008 SHH Pro Football Pick 'Em Champion
Whiskey Tango is offline  
Old 03-18-2013, 05:52 PM   #632
wiegeabo
Omniposcient
 
wiegeabo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Look behind you...
Posts: 37,090
Default Re: Discussion: Legalizing Marijuana II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thought Crime View Post
Yeah. People are gonna do what they want, anyway, right?
Criminalizing something also has the effect of making it 'forbidden fruit'. So people (especially young people) start using it for the thrill of getting away with it. And then they get hooked.

People also want something more when it's denied them than if they can have it.

Which all leads to the mass rise of criminal organizations to fulfill this need.


So, as a whole, it tends to benefit society more to not prohibit certain things. It cuts the legs out of criminal organizations and black markets, saves billions in ineffective spending, and raises billions in tax revenues. It also brings in safety regulations so people can consume quality product rather than something that's been cut or mixed with dangerous items to reduce costs.

__________________
I don't care about your deathmatches. Don't even ask. I'll just report it as spam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Lantern View Post
90% of people are in love with wiegeabo. The other 10% are liars.
wiegeabo is offline  
Old 03-18-2013, 08:01 PM   #633
SV Fan
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 7,883
Default Re: Discussion: Legalizing Marijuana II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey Tango View Post
"Judging by every metric, decriminalization in Portugal has been a resounding success," says Glenn Greenwald, an attorney, author and fluent Portuguese speaker, who conducted the research. "It has enabled the Portuguese government to manage and control the drug problem far better than virtually every other Western country does."

Decriminalizing Drugs in Portugal a Success, Says Report
Counter argument: That is European style socialism :P

SV Fan is offline  
Old 03-18-2013, 08:20 PM   #634
Thought Crime
Banned User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 299
Default Re: Discussion: Legalizing Marijuana II

***


Last edited by Thought Crime; 03-31-2013 at 01:49 AM.
Thought Crime is offline  
Old 03-18-2013, 08:25 PM   #635
SV Fan
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 7,883
Default Re: Discussion: Legalizing Marijuana II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thought Crime View Post
What happens then they begin to want harder drugs?
Chances are you will curb many away from harder drugs. if you can buy weed at your local 7-11, then you don't have that dealer pushing other harder drugs on you(hey you like weed you should try this buddy)

SV Fan is offline  
Old 03-18-2013, 08:27 PM   #636
Thought Crime
Banned User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 299
Default Re: Discussion: Legalizing Marijuana II

***


Last edited by Thought Crime; 03-31-2013 at 01:49 AM.
Thought Crime is offline  
Old 03-18-2013, 08:32 PM   #637
SV Fan
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 7,883
Default Re: Discussion: Legalizing Marijuana II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thought Crime View Post
What about the dealer outside of the shop allowing for an individual to get it at an even lower price than where it is being legally sold?
Let the police take care of them.

All that being said I think it's pretty stupid to say because everything won't be 100% perfect if we legalize weed, we shouldn't bother doing it. I think you have to judge it on the basis of which one will have less problems on a whole(ie do you put the 10 pound bag of crap or 5 pound bag of crap in your house)

SV Fan is offline  
Old 03-18-2013, 08:34 PM   #638
Thought Crime
Banned User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 299
Default Re: Discussion: Legalizing Marijuana II

***


Last edited by Thought Crime; 03-31-2013 at 01:48 AM.
Thought Crime is offline  
Old 03-18-2013, 08:36 PM   #639
SV Fan
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 7,883
Default Re: Discussion: Legalizing Marijuana II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thought Crime View Post
That's one of the reasons their arguing against to allow legalization. It's not worth their time, nor the strain of it own the system.
Do you know how much money and time is wasted on drug enforcement now? We have a whole jail system that basically lives off of throwing people whose worst crime is smoking a joint and doing it on the tax payers dime

SV Fan is offline  
Old 03-18-2013, 08:43 PM   #640
Alex_Spider
Banned User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Greece, Athens
Posts: 2,527
Default Re: Discussion: Legalizing Marijuana II

Quote:
Originally Posted by MessiahDecoy123 View Post
The only ones confused are people who support prohibition.







Nuff said.

Alex_Spider is offline  
Old 03-18-2013, 08:54 PM   #641
Alex_Spider
Banned User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Greece, Athens
Posts: 2,527
Default Re: Discussion: Legalizing Marijuana II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thought Crime View Post
The whole legalize weed platform just strikes me as ... Well, I mean, a country with an already pretty bad appetite for drugs wants more drugs legalized. "WE NEED MORE DRUGS! Weed isn't enough to get me high anymore." I know their not asking for harder drugs being legalized (or are they?), but that's the way it strikes me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thought Crime View Post
They didn't have to smoke it and become addicted in the first place. No one said they must smoke a joint, or did they? But, I guess that can be applied to anything. Moderation is key. Hell, people become addicted to LEGAL drugs. So maybe it is a people problem? Laws can't protect everyone. So less laws, then, I guess.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thought Crime View Post
What happens then they begin to want harder drugs?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thought Crime View Post
That's one of the reasons their arguing against to allow legalization. It's not worth their time, nor the strain of it own the system.
lol Marijuana is not a drug. And its use is not limited at smoking it to "get high". Jesus, have you taken a look at the medical applications that are posted in here? Or you are aware but you are afraid that once it becomes legalized, then every person, cat, dog, plants will smoke joints all day long?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thought Crime View Post
What about the dealer outside of the shop allowing for an individual to get it at an even lower price than where it is being legally sold?
Um..that still happens without it being legalized. Well not outside of the shop exactly but it is. So again it is not even a matter of "legalizing" a drug because it is not a drug in reality.

Alex_Spider is offline  
Old 03-18-2013, 09:03 PM   #642
wiegeabo
Omniposcient
 
wiegeabo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Look behind you...
Posts: 37,090
Default Re: Discussion: Legalizing Marijuana II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thought Crime View Post
What happens then they begin to want harder drugs?
Norway (I think) decriminalized cocaine for personal amounts around the turn on the century and usage was cut in half.

Also
"...the impact of Portugal's new legislation became obvious. The report found that in the 5 years after drugs were decriminalized, drug use among teens dropped, rates of new HIV infections from sharing dirty needles dropped, and the number of people seeking treatment for addiction more than doubled. Portugal boasted the lowest rate of lifetime marijuana use in people over 15 years of age at 10%. To put that into perspective, America lifetime marijuana use rate in people over 12 is 39.8%. Lifetime use of an illegal drug among 7th to 9th graders fell from 14.1% to 10.6%, drug use in older teens fell, lifetime heroin use in 16-18 year olds fell, new HIV infections in drug users fell 17%, deaths related to hard drugs were cut by more than half, treatment for drug addiction rose, as well as saved money on enforcement while increasing funding for treatment. Portugal’s drug usage rates are now among the lowest in the EU for virtually every substance."

__________________
I don't care about your deathmatches. Don't even ask. I'll just report it as spam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Lantern View Post
90% of people are in love with wiegeabo. The other 10% are liars.
wiegeabo is offline  
Old 03-18-2013, 09:06 PM   #643
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick
 
Thundercrack85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 21,496
Default Re: Discussion: Legalizing Marijuana II

Truth be known, I don't know any intelligent person who is in favor of keeping it illegal.

The only intelligent people who want to keep it illegal are on the take.

Thundercrack85 is offline  
Old 03-18-2013, 09:15 PM   #644
wiegeabo
Omniposcient
 
wiegeabo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Look behind you...
Posts: 37,090
Default Re: Discussion: Legalizing Marijuana II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundercrack85 View Post
Truth be known, I don't know any intelligent person who is in favor of keeping it illegal.

The only intelligent people who want to keep it illegal are on the take.
*coughprisonscough*

__________________
I don't care about your deathmatches. Don't even ask. I'll just report it as spam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Lantern View Post
90% of people are in love with wiegeabo. The other 10% are liars.
wiegeabo is offline  
Old 03-18-2013, 09:21 PM   #645
MessiahDecoy123
Noble Savage
 
MessiahDecoy123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 21,696
Default Re: Discussion: Legalizing Marijuana II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thought Crime View Post
What about the dealer outside of the shop allowing for an individual to get it at an even lower price than where it is being legally sold?
Is there a black market for cannabis in Amsterdam?

No there isn't.

The weed shops (called coffee shops) have a broad selection of the best strains in the world for reasonable prices in a legal environment. Why would anyone buy from a drug dealer who could've laced the drug, only offers a single strain, sells lower quality bud, in an illegal and dangerous environment???

__________________
"Year off, got no rules, tripping off of them toadstools
More green than my Whole Foods
And I'm too fly: Jeff Goldblum " - Childish Gambino
MessiahDecoy123 is offline  
Old 03-18-2013, 09:21 PM   #646
Whiskey Tango
Side-Kick
 
Whiskey Tango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: The South
Posts: 25,209
Default Re: Discussion: Legalizing Marijuana II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thought Crime View Post
What about the dealer outside of the shop allowing for an individual to get it at an even lower price than where it is being legally sold?
People prefer legal channels over skeezy dealers, even if it costs more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex_Spider View Post
lol Marijuana is not a drug. And its use is not limited at smoking it to "get high". Jesus, have you taken a look at the medical applications that are posted in here? Or you are aware but you are afraid that once it becomes legalized, then every person, cat, dog, plants will smoke joints all day long?
I wouldn't be surprised. He was perpetuating the addiction myth upthread.

__________________
"That was the edge Parker had; he knew that survival was more important than heroics. It isn't how you play the game, it's whether you win or lose.”
~ Richard Stark, Deadly Edge

2007-2008 SHH Pro Football Pick 'Em Champion
Whiskey Tango is offline  
Old 03-18-2013, 09:22 PM   #647
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick
 
Thundercrack85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 21,496
Default Re: Discussion: Legalizing Marijuana II

And politicians who are against it to keep low information voters voting for them. Though you could argue that that's being "on the take".

Or you could just call them cowards, and hypocrites.

Or, in the event of the last three presidents (all of who freely admit they used marijuana), Mr. President.

Thundercrack85 is offline  
Old 03-18-2013, 09:24 PM   #648
wiegeabo
Omniposcient
 
wiegeabo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Look behind you...
Posts: 37,090
Default Re: Discussion: Legalizing Marijuana II

Quote:
Originally Posted by MessiahDecoy123 View Post
Is there a black market for cannabis in Amsterdam?

No there isn't.

The weed shops (called coffee shops) have a broad selection of the best strains in the world for reasonable prices in a legal environment. Why would anyone buy from a drug dealer who could've laced the drug, only offers a single strain, sells lower quality bud, in an illegal and dangerous environment???
Indeed.

I mean, moonshiners are still around, but they probably only supply .00001% of the nation's alcohol.

And they're actively tracked down.

Legalization is the last thing the drug dealers and cartels want.

__________________
I don't care about your deathmatches. Don't even ask. I'll just report it as spam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Lantern View Post
90% of people are in love with wiegeabo. The other 10% are liars.
wiegeabo is offline  
Old 03-18-2013, 09:25 PM   #649
MessiahDecoy123
Noble Savage
 
MessiahDecoy123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 21,696
Default Re: Discussion: Legalizing Marijuana II

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiegeabo View Post
*coughprisonscough*
Alot of corporations benefit from cannabis and hemp being illegal:



__________________
"Year off, got no rules, tripping off of them toadstools
More green than my Whole Foods
And I'm too fly: Jeff Goldblum " - Childish Gambino
MessiahDecoy123 is offline  
Old 03-18-2013, 09:25 PM   #650
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick
 
Thundercrack85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 21,496
Default Re: Discussion: Legalizing Marijuana II

So the only people who want to keep it outlawed are the uneducated, and... crooks.

Thundercrack85 is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:49 AM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"



Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2018 All Rights Reserved.