The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > SHH Community > Politics

Old 04-11-2013, 07:55 PM   #651
MessiahDecoy123
Noble Savage

Default Re: The North Korean Situation II

The Japanese take their national and cultural pride deadly serious.

Probably more than any nationality.

To many of them national shame would worse than death.

Obviously their national unity and pride has allowed their society and technology to advance beyond most but at what cost to their personal and individual integrity?

MessiahDecoy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 08:16 PM   #652
Marvolo
Side-Kick

When you've made that big of an ass of yourself its time to swallow the pride and admit your mistake and apologize.

I know that's a lot for the Japanese culture.

Marvolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 08:18 PM   #653
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick

I think it's too late for any meaningful apology, regardless or sincerity.

But the fact that Japanese textbooks sugarcoat it (or outright omit it) is troublesome.

Future generations should learn from past generations' mistakes.

Thundercrack85 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 08:28 PM   #654
craigdbfan
Banned User

The past is sometimes hard to confront but hardly any good comes from treading on the past, honestly no amount of apologizing will return the dead or fully heal the wounded. There's just no point to it at this point.

People also have to remember that Japan is the only country to experience the wrath of nuclear weaponry. They absolutely have every right to be weary of North Korea and I absolutely understand their natural aversion of the events of WWII because quite frankly it was just too painful of a period for everyone. That very much includes the Japanese who had to face a beast (nuclear annihilation) that no other country in the world could possibly understand confronting.

I admire the Japanese resilience and their modern day culture is very much a side effect of a gravely traumatizing event that almost left the country yearning for much of the kawaii/anime culture as a means to cope with something so awful.

I for one think Japan should most definitely be able to create an offensive side to their military backbone seeing as their neighbors have become increasingly hostile. Japan's defense forces have been incredibly faithful and some of our best allies to date and I think Japan has done more than enough in terms of global reparations and contributions to society that they've earned a chance to once again obtain a proper military.

craigdbfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 08:33 PM   #655
JJJ's Ulcer
Banned User

To get this back on track, another side to this story that isn't getting reported much. South Koreans aren't panicked at all. Even though Americans are halfway around the world and Seoulites are 30 miles from the border, America's panic far exceeds their own. Is it naivety, denial, resignation or perhaps they know the North Koreans are just so full of crap after crying "wolf" too many times? In any event, my girlfriend is pretty indifferent to the whole situation (she lives in Gangnam for you PSY fans) and the only time she ever talks about it is when I bring it up, and then she just shrugs it off. Stocks are also remarkably stable and people are just going about business as usual. So before everyone gets too freaked out, let's remember the people who have the most reason by far to be worried, aren't.

JJJ's Ulcer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 08:35 PM   #656
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick

Let's not go nuts. The atomic bombings were bad, but more people died from the strategic bombings. See what they did to the Chinese with biological weapons some time.

They picked a fight with the world, and they got their asses handed to them (but not before butchering a good chunk of China, Korea and the Philippines).

None of that excuses what they did, and they should make amends. Acknowledging it, is the least they can do. No one is asking for anything more than acknowledgment.

Old 04-11-2013, 08:36 PM   #657
MessiahDecoy123
Noble Savage

Refusing to acknowledge historical atrocities and becoming a global military power again is a dangerous combination IMO.

Those who forget the past are doomed to repeat it.

If Japan contemplated and fully understood the wrongs of the past then sure but they haven't even demonstrated even a slight attempt at addressing any misuse of past military might.

MessiahDecoy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 08:38 PM   #658
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick

Well, I'm not too worried about that. China will eat Japan alive, and they know it.

I'm fairly certain we'll see a war between China and Japan before this century is done. It will not be pretty.

Old 04-11-2013, 08:41 PM   #659
JJJ's Ulcer
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundercrack85 View Post
Well, I'm not too worried about that. China will eat Japan alive, and they know it.

I'm fairly certain we'll see a war between China and Japan before this century is done. It will not be pretty.
Just Japan? I'm fairly certain America is on a collision course with China as well. Maybe not for 40 or 50 years, but before the century is out the way things are going.

JJJ's Ulcer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 08:45 PM   #660
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick

Oh sure, but, fighting America is just business. Fighting Japan? That's personal.

Old 04-11-2013, 08:59 PM   #661
Marvolo
Side-Kick

Another Sino war is coming down the road no doubt. If we still have an obligation to Japan we will be fighting in it.

Marvolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 09:04 PM   #662
Kelly
#RESIST
SHH! Administrator

We rebuilt Japan for them, its time they stood on their own, but I think we are still scared of them....lol Keeping them close to us, I guess protects us from them.

Et tu Brute????? anyone??????

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.
Faith is taking the first step even when you don't see the whole staircase.
~Martin Luther King Jr.~
Kelly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 09:27 PM   #663
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick

You've said that before, but it's mostly American policy. If America tells Japan to rearm, it would. It was America's idea for Japan not have a military to begin with.

The Philippines already gave the go ahead. South Korea wouldn't be happy, but with their brother lobbing missiles into the Sea of Japan, they probably wouldn't protest. Russia would **** itself.

I assume that will be the US' ultimatum to China if things get too bad with North Korea though.

"Reel North Korea in, or we let Japan off the chain."

Old 04-12-2013, 08:14 AM   #664
Destructus86
Side-Kick

We have a pretty strong relationship with Japan, if they went to war we would assist. I have no doubt of that.

On a side note...NK doing practices right on China's border...NK really IS crazy.

Beliefs - Christian. Anti-Republican. Anti-Gun. Complete separation of church and state. Freedom of speech. Freedom to practice any religion in public. Less focus on foreign lands and more focus on our own problems.
Destructus86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:16 AM   #665
Destructus86
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJJ's Ulcer View Post
To get this back on track, another side to this story that isn't getting reported much. South Koreans aren't panicked at all. Even though Americans are halfway around the world and Seoulites are 30 miles from the border, America's panic far exceeds their own. Is it naivety, denial, resignation or perhaps they know the North Koreans are just so full of crap after crying "wolf" too many times? In any event, my girlfriend is pretty indifferent to the whole situation (she lives in Gangnam for you PSY fans) and the only time she ever talks about it is when I bring it up, and then she just shrugs it off. Stocks are also remarkably stable and people are just going about business as usual. So before everyone gets too freaked out, let's remember the people who have the most reason by far to be worried, aren't.

True...but it only takes one time to be wrong.

Beliefs - Christian. Anti-Republican. Anti-Gun. Complete separation of church and state. Freedom of speech. Freedom to practice any religion in public. Less focus on foreign lands and more focus on our own problems.
Old 04-12-2013, 11:50 AM   #666
mclay18
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destructus86 View Post
True...but it only takes one time to be wrong.
NK has been doing the saber-rattling for over six decades, and hardly did anything. You had those isolated incidents in the past couple of years, but nothing that would cause worldwide alarm (aside from that declassified document issue today). All NK wants is leverage for reduced sanctions, and score points for its brainwashed citizens.

And it's a few days shy of May Day, a national holiday in NK. They may want to up the threats then, but NK knows if they push too far... the consequences will be dire. China, NK's biggest supporter, wants NK to back down too. They have a vested interest in the U.S. (they own a significant amount of debt and their imports rake in the dough).

Old 04-12-2013, 12:46 PM   #667
enterthemadness
The Triumvirate

Read half of this...

http://rt.com/news/north-korea-tokyo-strike-748/

RT says NK will put Toyko in Flames.

joking here, but I thought one put him or herself in flames after watching a certain anime that starts with a H

enterthemadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 12:58 PM   #668
Nathan

Alright, now I'm getting tired of NK's ****. I still want to travel to Tokyo some day in my life. If they pull any stupid stunts, I hope the fat bastard and his geezer Generals get wiped off the planet.

Nathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 01:10 PM   #669
TheDreamMaster
The Night He Came Home...

My best friend is in the surrounding area of Tokyo now. NK needs to be put down now.

Edit: Wow, lots of "America should die" sentiments in the comments on that site.

"She is a vampire bat!"
"Was the joke that bad?"

Last edited by TheDreamMaster; 04-12-2013 at 01:18 PM.
TheDreamMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 01:55 PM   #670
Destructus86
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclay18 View Post
NK has been doing the saber-rattling for over six decades, and hardly did anything. You had those isolated incidents in the past couple of years, but nothing that would cause worldwide alarm (aside from that declassified document issue today). All NK wants is leverage for reduced sanctions, and score points for its brainwashed citizens.

And it's a few days shy of May Day, a national holiday in NK. They may want to up the threats then, but NK knows if they push too far... the consequences will be dire. China, NK's biggest supporter, wants NK to back down too. They have a vested interest in the U.S. (they own a significant amount of debt and their imports rake in the dough).
They are already pushing too far. And once they fire their test rockets they will have crossed the line.

Old 04-12-2013, 02:21 PM   #671
Victarion
Iron Captain

http://news.yahoo.com/north-korean-h...095453019.html

Lol.

Old 04-12-2013, 06:38 PM   #672
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick

Someone pointed this out, but bombings may not be the most devastating thing North Korea can do. EMP attacks via the detonation of nuclear weapons would be much more devastating. Especially to South Korea and Japan's infrastructure and economy.

Old 04-12-2013, 07:06 PM   #673
craigdbfan
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wooden Alligator View Post
That's kind of hilarious.

craigdbfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:38 PM   #674
mclay18
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigdbfan View Post
That's kind of hilarious.
Yeah. Trust the major mainstream news outlets here in the U.S. to go haywire over the news, when the wording of such statement reveals that N.Korea doesn't have nearly the nuclear capabilities of other advanced countries.

There's a fine line between taking them seriously or just take a leaf from South Korea's book to treat this calmly.

Old 04-12-2013, 09:03 PM   #675
DaddlerTheDalek
Starship Captain

Maybe He's just... Hungry!

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

DaddlerTheDalek is offline   Reply With Quote