The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Star Wars > Star Wars: The Force Awakens

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2013, 12:25 AM   #576
Solidus
Knights of Ren
 
Solidus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: First Order
Posts: 21,806
Default Re: General Star Wars Episode VII News/Speculation Thread - Part 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by roach View Post
I think you guys are reading way into it. If she did not read the script then there is a very good chance that her reading was from old material.
Yes and we just talked about it.

But it is discussion none the less. Better than saying "Man I wish we had news." And who knows it may be something.

__________________
"If Skywalker returns...the new Jedi will rise."-Supreme Leader Snoke

"If you don’t care about the characters, nothing matters. No space ship, no explosion, no anything is important if you don’t feel something for the people involved."J.J. Abrams (2/5/13)
Solidus is offline  
Old 10-05-2013, 12:31 AM   #577
roach
I am the night
 
roach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Hollywood
Posts: 46,714
Default Re: General Star Wars Episode VII News/Speculation Thread - Part 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidus View Post
Yes and we just talked about it.

But it is discussion none the less. Better than saying "Man I wish we had news." And who knows it may be something.
I am not saying you can't talk about it.

__________________
Journeying to the Undying Lands in the West
So Long and thanks for all the fish
roach is offline  
Old 10-05-2013, 01:04 AM   #578
Octoberist
point blank
 
Octoberist's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: California
Posts: 46,473
Default Re: General Star Wars Episode VII News/Speculation Thread - Part 5

It's not much but it looks like Chris Corbould has joined Episode 7 as the 'Special Effects Supervisor'. He's a living legend who has worked on all of the Nolan Bat-fims (along with 'Inception') and all of the James Bond films since 'The Spy Who Loved Me'!

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0179269/?ref_=ttfc_fc_cr17

__________________
"Benicio Del Toro is up-and-coming...and this (movie) could be his breakthrough role."

-- Anonymous, 2016
Octoberist is offline  
Old 10-05-2013, 02:23 AM   #579
boo123
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 55
Default Re: General Star Wars Episode VII News/Speculation Thread - Part 5

Here's something interesting:

Saoirse was in LA just before Latino Review's news about her audition.

She first came to Toronto for the film festival to promote her new movie. Then she went to LA directly. She was spotted on 9/15 at the Grove catching a movie with a friend. I rarely got to see pics of her in LA because she would only travel to LA for work. It was a surprise when I found out she was in LA!

She didn't have any US films lining up (Mary Queen of Scots is an European film) so she was probably there for a movie meeting (maybe with Disney??)....then a couple of days later she was spotted back in Ireland.

I just thought it was interesting that after she was spotted in LA, a couple of days later, her SW rumor started.....

boo123 is offline  
Old 10-05-2013, 04:27 AM   #580
Hyde
Ooga-Chaka
 
Hyde's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: South West, UK
Posts: 3,533
Default Re: General Star Wars Episode VII News/Speculation Thread - Part 5

I've always thought that Luke should be a hermit and the Jedi more mysterious. It really does sound a hell of a lot better than millions of shiny new Jedi working for the New Republic.

Go darker and dirtier with the new era of the Force, not back to shiny and clean like the Prequels.

__________________
Twitter: @Jasper_CH

I still believe in heroes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry78 View Post
"I tell ya, that Jennifer Lawrenshinch, I'd like to put my olive in her martini."
Hyde is offline  
Old 10-05-2013, 05:13 AM   #581
Iceman
Infinity War!
 
Iceman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Londinium, North of Gaul, circa XLIII AD
Posts: 116,859
Default Re: General Star Wars Episode VII News/Speculation Thread - Part 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobo View Post
Iceman, you need to check out Magnar's Star Wars news super post. It has all rumors since the beginning.
I've bookmarked it to read through it all when I get time. Awesome post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidus View Post
LOL this rumor has been around for a month. And it does seem like (despite the denials) he is in it. And most reports say he will be the new villain for the trilogy.
If it's confirmed it will put the potential of these new films into orbit for me.

__________________
Xbox GT: BAHAMUT ZERO X 148,332 G
X-MEN - AVENGERS - JUSTICE LEAGUE
Iceman is offline  
Old 10-05-2013, 09:22 AM   #582
Loki882
Side-Kick
 
Loki882's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 20,908
Default Re: General Star Wars Episode VII News/Speculation Thread - Part 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyde View Post
I've always thought that Luke should be a hermit and the Jedi more mysterious. It really does sound a hell of a lot better than millions of shiny new Jedi working for the New Republic.

Go darker and dirtier with the new era of the Force, not back to shiny and clean like the Prequels.
I disagree. This new era should be more optimistic and bright compared to the darkness and grittiness of the Imperial era. The Jedi should be public and open. Making them mysterious and dirty doesn't fit Luke's journey in the OT.

Loki882 is offline  
Old 10-05-2013, 09:34 AM   #583
Nathan
...
 
Nathan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 49,339
Default Re: General Star Wars Episode VII News/Speculation Thread - Part 5

Maybe the Jedi should be more like Shaolin Monks. Let them have their own Temple, on a planet in the quiet corner of the Galaxy, and not dealing with any of the Political nonsense.

__________________
I am the HYPE!
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

Last edited by Nathan; 10-05-2013 at 09:56 AM.
Nathan is offline  
Old 10-05-2013, 09:56 AM   #584
Hyde
Ooga-Chaka
 
Hyde's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: South West, UK
Posts: 3,533
Default Re: General Star Wars Episode VII News/Speculation Thread - Part 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki882 View Post
I disagree. This new era should be more optimistic and bright compared to the darkness and grittiness of the Imperial era. The Jedi should be public and open. Making them mysterious and dirty doesn't fit Luke's journey in the OT.
Sure, this new era can be optimistic and bright. It's practically a given that we'll see a New Republic with Leia, Han and whoever else in it. But the Jedi really do work better as mysterious warriors hidden from plain sight. They do not need some politicians to tell them what to do. They protect and fight when they see fit, and the rest of the time they are alone and separated, always studying the ways of the Force.

To me, that sounds a million times cooler than dozens of them sat around in council meetings on Coruscant for three movies.

__________________
Twitter: @Jasper_CH

I still believe in heroes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry78 View Post
"I tell ya, that Jennifer Lawrenshinch, I'd like to put my olive in her martini."
Hyde is offline  
Old 10-05-2013, 10:14 AM   #585
titansupes
Side-Kick
 
titansupes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 10,435
Default Re: General Star Wars Episode VII News/Speculation Thread - Part 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
Maybe the Jedi should be more like Shaolin Monks. Let them have their own Temple, on a planet in the quiet corner of the Galaxy, and not dealing with any of the Political nonsense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyde View Post
Sure, this new era can be optimistic and bright. It's practically a given that we'll see a New Republic with Leia, Han and whoever else in it. But the Jedi really do work better as mysterious warriors hidden from plain sight. They do not need some politicians to tell them what to do. They protect and fight when they see fit, and the rest of the time they are alone and separated, always studying the ways of the Force.

To me, that sounds a million times cooler than dozens of them sat around in council meetings on Coruscant for three movies.
Yep.

__________________
I NEVER WANTED YOU TO COME BACK TO GOTHAM.

titansupes is offline  
Old 10-05-2013, 10:28 AM   #586
roach
I am the night
 
roach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Hollywood
Posts: 46,714
Default Re: General Star Wars Episode VII News/Speculation Thread - Part 5

I doubt that will happen. The new republic may establish some of the Old Republics organizations and branches as a show to the people as a return to when the government was good. I imagine the galactic senate will be back. I also see a public Jedi order. It would be a sign of a return to simpler times.

__________________
Journeying to the Undying Lands in the West
So Long and thanks for all the fish
roach is offline  
Old 10-05-2013, 10:55 AM   #587
Solidus
Knights of Ren
 
Solidus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: First Order
Posts: 21,806
Default Re: General Star Wars Episode VII News/Speculation Thread - Part 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki882 View Post
I disagree. This new era should be more optimistic and bright compared to the darkness and grittiness of the Imperial era. The Jedi should be public and open. Making them mysterious and dirty doesn't fit Luke's journey in the OT.
Ya it does. His journey was complete or at least the first part of it. It was to topple the Empire. It was always just assumption that he built the Jedi Order back to it's former glory. I just wonder if that would really happen in a generation. The Jedi Order had been around for almost 25,000 years, and destroyed in a few. To rebuild would take time.


Quote:
Originally Posted by roach View Post
I doubt that will happen. The new republic may establish some of the Old Republics organizations and branches as a show to the people as a return to when the government was good. I imagine the galactic senate will be back. I also see a public Jedi order. It would be a sign of a return to simpler times.
But there would still be many that would think the Jedi were to blame for this. And many just think it's fooey anyways. And again they won't re-build it in a few years or even 35 years to its former glory. Actually I think just going back to the same ways of the Old Republic is a bad thing, because that's what got them into the mess to begin with. I have a feeling there will be aspects of it, but they will try some new things.

Either way it will be interesting, but I think it would be more likely/interesting if the Jedi Order was more of a small quiet sect for a while. Being so fragile, they could easily be destroyed from within or from outer forces. It would actually make some sense being in the dark while they get the foundations back.

__________________
"If Skywalker returns...the new Jedi will rise."-Supreme Leader Snoke

"If you don’t care about the characters, nothing matters. No space ship, no explosion, no anything is important if you don’t feel something for the people involved."J.J. Abrams (2/5/13)
Solidus is offline  
Old 10-05-2013, 11:47 AM   #588
Nathan
...
 
Nathan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 49,339
Default Re: General Star Wars Episode VII News/Speculation Thread - Part 5

How much of the Jedi Order did they restore in the books, by the time their children were all grown up?

__________________
I am the HYPE!
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Nathan is offline  
Old 10-05-2013, 12:07 PM   #589
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized
 
BatLobsterRises's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: NJ
Posts: 11,648
Default Re: General Star Wars Episode VII News/Speculation Thread - Part 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octoberist View Post
It's not much but it looks like Chris Corbould has joined Episode 7 as the 'Special Effects Supervisor'. He's a living legend who has worked on all of the Nolan Bat-fims (along with 'Inception') and all of the James Bond films since 'The Spy Who Loved Me'!

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0179269/?ref_=ttfc_fc_cr17
Definitely another huge step in the direction of favoring practical effects over CG.

Also re: The Jedi Order, I feel almost certain that they won't be a government institution again. It just seems to make sense that there'd be some trust issues going both ways there. From the new government because The Emperor and Vader were force users, and from the Jedi because they were pawns in the Emperor's rise to power and then made scapegoats and wiped out. I could see Luke wanting the Jedi Order to start anew but as an independent, impartial entity.


Last edited by BatLobsterRises; 10-05-2013 at 12:11 PM.
BatLobsterRises is offline  
Old 10-05-2013, 12:08 PM   #590
Loki882
Side-Kick
 
Loki882's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 20,908
Default Re: General Star Wars Episode VII News/Speculation Thread - Part 5

It's a large organization in the books. The Jedi being mysterious and isolated would be a terrible idea. One of the things that led to their fall in the PT was that they became too set in their ways and divorced from the rest of the Republic, so they couldn't see the obvious truth about Palpatine. Having the Jedi be this mysterious group that's off on their own would make the general population NOT trust them even more.

Loki882 is offline  
Old 10-05-2013, 12:12 PM   #591
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized
 
BatLobsterRises's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: NJ
Posts: 11,648
Default Re: General Star Wars Episode VII News/Speculation Thread - Part 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki882 View Post
It's a large organization in the books. The Jedi being mysterious and isolated would be a terrible idea. One of the things that led to their fall in the PT was that they became too set in their ways and divorced from the rest of the Republic, so they couldn't see the obvious truth about Palpatine. Having the Jedi be this mysterious group that's off on their own would make the general population NOT trust them even more.
Which might provide for some good conflict and drama, which fuels story.

BatLobsterRises is offline  
Old 10-05-2013, 12:13 PM   #592
Hyde
Ooga-Chaka
 
Hyde's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: South West, UK
Posts: 3,533
Default Re: General Star Wars Episode VII News/Speculation Thread - Part 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki882 View Post
It's a large organization in the books. The Jedi being mysterious and isolated would be a terrible idea. One of the things that led to their fall in the PT was that they became too set in their ways and divorced from the rest of the Republic, so they couldn't see the obvious truth about Palpatine. Having the Jedi be this mysterious group that's off on their own would make the general population NOT trust them even more.
So? Making it so that the public don't trust the Jedi - who are actually the good guys - is way more compelling.

__________________
Twitter: @Jasper_CH

I still believe in heroes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry78 View Post
"I tell ya, that Jennifer Lawrenshinch, I'd like to put my olive in her martini."
Hyde is offline  
Old 10-05-2013, 12:21 PM   #593
Solidus
Knights of Ren
 
Solidus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: First Order
Posts: 21,806
Default Re: General Star Wars Episode VII News/Speculation Thread - Part 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki882 View Post
It's a large organization in the books. The Jedi being mysterious and isolated would be a terrible idea. One of the things that led to their fall in the PT was that they became too set in their ways and divorced from the rest of the Republic, so they couldn't see the obvious truth about Palpatine. Having the Jedi be this mysterious group that's off on their own would make the general population NOT trust them even more.
I disagree. What caused them to fall was being so integrated into the politics of the Old Republic. Sitting so close to the seat of power is what caused their down fall, the evil was right in front of them. Them being away from the republic allows them to (especially in a fragile state) re-create themselves. That and do you really think something that took thousands of years to create would take 35 years to have a Jedi Order once again? No. Because you will need trainers to be one on one with their apprentices to ensure no falling to the Dark Side which is easy to do. Which is why a Padawan learner has a one on one teacher for 10-15 years. Luke is by himself, he will have to train very few to get such intimate teachings. And not only that to find the Force sensitive in a broken war torn just getting out of darkness New Republic.

Trust me having Jedi right in the seat of power again will not make them trust them. The thing is most don't even believe in them. It's too soon to have them be just like they were in the PT. They should be detached from government. There is only one thing that tells Jedi what to do. And it's not governments. To quote the last line of the Jedi creed:

"There is no death, there is the Force."

The Force is their true master. And to me being separate from everyone would allow them to not get involved in politics and corruption. They can be pretty much their own entity that goes around ensuring peace in the galaxy.

__________________
"If Skywalker returns...the new Jedi will rise."-Supreme Leader Snoke

"If you don’t care about the characters, nothing matters. No space ship, no explosion, no anything is important if you don’t feel something for the people involved."J.J. Abrams (2/5/13)
Solidus is offline  
Old 10-05-2013, 12:22 PM   #594
Solidus
Knights of Ren
 
Solidus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: First Order
Posts: 21,806
Default Re: General Star Wars Episode VII News/Speculation Thread - Part 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatLobsterRises View Post
Which might provide for some good conflict and drama, which fuels story.
This.

__________________
"If Skywalker returns...the new Jedi will rise."-Supreme Leader Snoke

"If you don’t care about the characters, nothing matters. No space ship, no explosion, no anything is important if you don’t feel something for the people involved."J.J. Abrams (2/5/13)
Solidus is offline  
Old 10-05-2013, 12:27 PM   #595
Nathan
...
 
Nathan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 49,339
Default Re: General Star Wars Episode VII News/Speculation Thread - Part 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidus View Post
I disagree. What caused them to fall was being so integrated into the politics of the Old Republic. Sitting so close to the seat of power is what caused their down fall, the evil was right in front of them. Them being away from the republic allows them to (especially in a fragile state) re-create themselves. That and do you really think something that took thousands of years to create would take 35 years to have a Jedi Order once again? No. Because you will need trainers to be one on one with their apprentices to ensure no falling to the Dark Side which is easy to do. Which is why a Padawan learner has a one on one teacher for 10-15 years. Luke is by himself, he will have to train very few to get such intimate teachings. And not only that to find the Force sensitive in a broken war torn just getting out of darkness New Republic.
When put like that, I'd honestly be surprised if there are even a dozen well trained Jedi around, 35 years later.

__________________
I am the HYPE!
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Nathan is offline  
Old 10-05-2013, 12:30 PM   #596
Solidus
Knights of Ren
 
Solidus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: First Order
Posts: 21,806
Default Re: General Star Wars Episode VII News/Speculation Thread - Part 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
When put like that, I'd honestly be surprised if there are even a dozen well trained Jedi around, 35 years later.
Unless Luke found another way I agree. Usually the quick and easy path leads to the Dark Side. So I would assume after 35 years that there won't be hundreds of Jedi. Just a few, maybe 24 max. But I could see them wanting to lay low. They don't know if there is more Sith out there that could easily take them down. Again they would be at a fragile state. Trying to rebuild the order. And rebuild it for the better.

__________________
"If Skywalker returns...the new Jedi will rise."-Supreme Leader Snoke

"If you don’t care about the characters, nothing matters. No space ship, no explosion, no anything is important if you don’t feel something for the people involved."J.J. Abrams (2/5/13)
Solidus is offline  
Old 10-05-2013, 12:33 PM   #597
X Knight
Hope
 
X Knight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 39,556
Default Re: General Star Wars Episode VII News/Speculation Thread - Part 5

I actually like the idea of the Jedi being a more mysterious, low key organization.

__________________
Straight Edge and Proud!!
X Knight is offline  
Old 10-05-2013, 12:59 PM   #598
gohei_
Infected by Pentapox
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sweden
Posts: 4,542
Default Re: General Star Wars Episode VII News/Speculation Thread - Part 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenX View Post
I actually like the idea of the Jedi being a more mysterious, low key organization.
Well isn't that pretty much what they were in the original trilogy?
It did not make much sense though after the pt since the galaxy was crawling with jedi back then and then in the OT people disregard the jedi and sith as humbug only 20 something years later.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erzengel View Post
I ask her during dinner, what's her top 3 favorite movies. If she doesn't list Star Wars as at least #2. I excuse myself to the bathroom and crawl out the window. :up:
gohei_ is offline  
Old 10-05-2013, 01:03 PM   #599
Bim
Side-Kick
 
Bim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 9,569
Default Re: General Star Wars Episode VII News/Speculation Thread - Part 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidus View Post
What sparked that with me was her saying she had to pretend she did not know what the lightsaber was when pulling it out of the bag. And assuming she was going for a lead that is most likely a Solo/Skywalker child, you think she would. But maybe not.
Indeed, i found that bit very interesting. My take on that is that whatever Luke did as a jedi after ROTJ could be not wide spread at all, and the jedi could still be viewed as dangerous, therefore he keeps a very low profile, with not many pupils, if any.

I do hope that they touch upon the rebuilding of the Republic. I know some found the politics in the PT boring, but i loved them showing how the Empire was born. I want to see how they rebuild and go back to democracy, and maybe even show the struggles of doing so with the remnants of the Empire still a factor on some level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gohei_ View Post
It did not make much sense though after the pt since the galaxy was crawling with jedi back then and then in the OT people disregard the jedi and sith as humbug only 20 something years later.
Well not only did Sidious make sure he wiped out the more prominent jedi (almost of them really lol), but he blamed them and said they attempted to take his life. Not many would be welcoming to them after that imo. And with Palps having total control as Emperor, it wouldnt be difficult for him to just make their history disappear. It makes sense to me that they would be wiped from most people's memories by the time the OT rolls on.

__________________
“There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.” Goethe

If Jack Bauer joined the Rebel Alliance, 24 hours later there would be no Empire :p

Last edited by Bim; 10-05-2013 at 01:08 PM.
Bim is offline  
Old 10-05-2013, 01:08 PM   #600
Solidus
Knights of Ren
 
Solidus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: First Order
Posts: 21,806
Default Re: General Star Wars Episode VII News/Speculation Thread - Part 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bim View Post
Indeed, i found that bit very interesting. My take on that is that whatever Luke did as a jedi after ROTJ could be not wide spread at all, and the jedi could still be viewed as dangerous, therefore he keeps a very low profile, with not many pupils, if any.

I do hope that they touch upon the rebuilding of the Republic. I know some found the politics in the PT boring, but i loved them showing how the Empire was born. I want to see how they rebuild and go back to democracy, and maybe even show the struggles of doing so with the remnants of the Empire still a factor on some level.
Ya it would make for an interesting aspect. The Jedi being in the shadows to a point (not dark side style just staying hidden) would be really cool. Tales from the galaxy of people seeing Jedi, but being seen as somewhat of a myth.

I would say most found (even if they liked the PT) a lot of the political stuff somewhat boring. But to defend you, I agree we need to know some stuff about the politics because it can be interesting and is a part of SW. Just make it subtle and part of the story like they did with the OT. Where if flowed and was integrated with the sense of adventure. We don't need boring meetings of people on couches discussing politics. We need to know about the politics, but I think in vein of how the OT gave it. In small doses integrated in with everything.

So I agree with you we need the back story of some of the politics, but mainly the basics, and have it be subtle and not long stretches of political dialogue. SW always has had politics apart of it. But I just think it should blend with the adventure of the story.

__________________
"If Skywalker returns...the new Jedi will rise."-Supreme Leader Snoke

"If you don’t care about the characters, nothing matters. No space ship, no explosion, no anything is important if you don’t feel something for the people involved."J.J. Abrams (2/5/13)
Solidus is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:56 PM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"



Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of Mandatory Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2018 All Rights Reserved.