Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > DC Comics Films

Old 05-10-2018, 09:12 AM   #601
Abudefduf
Custom User Title

Default Re: Official: Gotham City Sirens directed by David Ayer - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc View Post
I don't know if ludicrous amounts is accurate
It is if you take into account all the merchandise that WB wouldn't be able do sell if for some reason they decided to make a Harley Quinn and Batgirl team-up flick that kids can't watch.

Abudefduf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 06:17 PM   #602
katara
Side-Kick

Is someone going to close this thread and make a new "margot robbie R rated girl gang" film thread??? I don't know where people are getting BOP from after rereading the article. They're never mentioned. Is it because the writer was writing Batgirl aswell?

Old 05-10-2018, 09:42 PM   #603
Willi Berg
Matrix Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by katara View Post
Is someone going to close this thread and make a new "margot robbie R rated girl gang" film thread??? I don't know where people are getting BOP from after rereading the article. They're never mentioned. Is it because the writer was writing Batgirl aswell?
There's no need to close this thread. 'Gotham City Sirens' is still being developed. But it is separate from the "girl gang" movie.

The girl gang movie is based on Birds of Prey, but hasn't officially been called "Birds of Prey". The reason we know it is based on BOP is from a previous article, when Cathy Yan (also mentioned in the above article) was hired as director by Robbie and co. There it states:

Quote:
Warner Bros and DC Entertainment have chosen Cathy Yan to be the director of an untitled girl gang movie, likely the next superhero film to be graced by Suicide Squad scene-stealer Harley Quinn, in the form of Margot Robbie.

Despite being a new talent, Yan’s presentation for Birds of Prey was exceptional, and Robbie held firm to her desire for this film to be directed by a woman.

The project is based on Birds of Prey, which in the DC universe teams Quinn with several other crime fighters, namely Black Canary, Barbara Gordon (Batgirl) and Huntress. It is not confirmed if all of them will be characters in the film. What is clear is that both the main characters and most of the creative braintrust are female, remarkable for a studio-sized superhero film. The script was written by Christina Hodson, who wrote the Transformers spinoff Bumblebee, and just got hired to write the Batgirl movie.

The other Harley Quinn films are still under construction. That includes the Suicide Squad sequel to be directed by Gavin O’Connor. Two others, Harley Quinn Vs The Joker and Gotham City Sirens with Suicide Squad helmer David Ayer, seem further in the distance.
http://deadline.com/2018/04/harley-q...on-1202365866/

I have just created a separate "BOP" girl gang thread but it and GCS will likely be closely connected and feature a lot of the same characters.

DC Movies:
http://supermantojusticeleague.tumblr.com/

Last edited by Willi Berg; 05-10-2018 at 10:10 PM.
Willi Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 09:31 PM   #604
az824
Side-Kick

It seems to me like these are all the same project but people trying to get the inside scoop/ journalists don't know the difference so some are calling it GCS and others BOP.

Margot Robbie has simply clarified that it's BOP.

az824 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 03:58 AM   #605
batdude
Side-Kick

BOP comics Batgirl, Black Canary and Huntress. GCS Catwoman Poison Ivy and Harley. all they did was add Harley to BOP.

batdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 04:01 AM   #606
Willi Berg
Matrix Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by az824 View Post
It seems to me like these are all the same project but people trying to get the inside scoop/ journalists don't know the difference so some are calling it GCS and others BOP.

Margot Robbie has simply clarified that it's BOP.
I believe you are wrong. Margot said that GCS was being explored by WB with David Ayer. That it was a separate thing to what she was producing (the BOP movie) and she wasn't attached to producing GCS nor the Harley vs. Joker movie.

As a producer, she went off on her own from that and got a BOP script written by Christina Hodson, which WB loved, and found a director for the movie, Cathy Yan.

That Margot did this on her own, and got her own team together, is what put this BOP movie to the forefront, and why it's getting made. And why GCS seems to have fallen by the wayside. But GCS was a separate thing with David Ayer that never really got very far, because Ayer was off making Bright and Bright 2, and very little of it seems to have been developed.

The BOP movie just got developed first. Because it has similarities to GCS and will likely feature some similar characters, then it has probably put GCS on the backburner or has replaced it completely.

Here is what Margot said:

Quote:
“I want to make a girl gang, R-rated film that Harley is a part of,” Robbie explained, “And we started working on it from there. Meanwhile, over the course of the next few years, the studio was exploring other Harley Quinn spin-offs. But I was not a part of those versions, I was always focused on this one with Christina… I know that they were exploring ‘Gotham City Sirens’ with David Ayer, and I know they were exploring a Joker and Harley Quinn movie, and they were exploring doing I don’t know what else. I wasn’t a part of those. I was focusing on this. I kept presenting it to the studio until they felt it was at a point where they were ready to do it. And now we’re all in.
http://collider.com/harley-quinn-mov...margot-robbie/

DC Movies:

Last edited by Willi Berg; 05-13-2018 at 04:09 AM.
Old 05-13-2018, 07:48 AM   #607
jmc
away for a while

Gotham City Sirens as a stand along movie doesn't make sense anyway. The logical thing was to always do Birds of Prey or Supergirl/Batgirl with the Sirens as the antagonists. I do worry though with the number of films allegedly in development that WB is vastly overestimating the appeal of both Harley Quinn and Margot Robbie.

jmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 12:33 PM   #608
az824
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willi Berg View Post
I did read that quote from a week or so ago. I just remember that when the news broke out of a DC girls team up movie came out being produced by Margot, it was said that it would be a BOP against GCS. Then the rumors started straying saying it was just a GCS (with a separate Batgirl movie) and then later that it would be by David Ayer.

That all got lost somewhere in space, hence why I think Margot said she doesn't know about a David Ayer movie with the GCS and that the only movie she was working on was the BOP movie, which I'm hoping is as it was originally said a year or so ago that it will be a BOP with the GCS.

az824 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 02:26 PM   #609
Boy Scout
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc View Post
Gotham City Sirens as a stand along movie doesn't make sense anyway. The logical thing was to always do Birds of Prey or Supergirl/Batgirl with the Sirens as the antagonists. I do worry though with the number of films allegedly in development that WB is vastly overestimating the appeal of both Harley Quinn and Margot Robbie.
Harley? Maybe.

Margot Robbie? Definitely not.

Boy Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 09:46 PM   #610
Willi Berg
Matrix Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by az824 View Post
I did read that quote from a week or so ago. I just remember that when the news broke out of a DC girls team up movie came out being produced by Margot, it was said that it would be a BOP against GCS. Then the rumors started straying saying it was just a GCS (with a separate Batgirl movie) and then later that it would be by David Ayer.

That all got lost somewhere in space, hence why I think Margot said she doesn't know about a David Ayer movie with the GCS and that the only movie she was working on was the BOP movie, which I'm hoping is as it was originally said a year or so ago that it will be a BOP with the GCS.
A GCS movie by David Ayer was always a separate thing to the BOP movie being produced by Margot Robbie. It was reported a while back as well, and Ayer has commented on it.

I think confusion comes because the BOP will likely use some of the same characters as GCS.

But these two projects were being developed separately and concurrently, as well as Harley vs. Joker.

Whether all of these movies actually see the light of day is another matter.

DC Movies:

Last edited by Willi Berg; 05-13-2018 at 10:11 PM.