Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Misc. Comics Films

Closed Thread

Old 06-14-2018, 08:44 AM   #26
Kahran Ramsus
Side-Kick

Default Re: Superhero Cinematic Civil War - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by DACrowe View Post
This isn't a bad thing. I think there's a strong argument to be made for Logan being the best superhero movie of this decade, and it couldn't care less about continuity.
I actually don't recall any obvious and blatant continuity snarls in Logan.

Old 06-14-2018, 08:54 AM   #27
Spider-Fan
SHHFFL 2014 Champion
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahran Ramsus View Post
I don't think DoFP and Logan really marry together. Logan states there hadn't been a new mutant since the mid-2000s. DoFP's ending took place way after that, and it didn't seem like mutants were dying out or anything there.

But it doesn't bother me like at all. Logan is a genius film. I looked at it as sort of an elseworlds story.

Old 06-14-2018, 09:02 AM   #28
DACrowe
Side-Kick

Quote:
Different actor playing Caliban than X-Men: Apocalypse, Richard E. Grant's father being the one to put "this ****" into Logan's skeleton (as opposed to Stryker), the fact that it claims no mutants have been born in 20 years and it being set in 2029 when we see lots of young mutants going to school at the end of Days of Future Past, plus the young mutants in Deadpool if you want to count those as part of the universe (and I tend to given the overlaps and how it is clearly affected by post-DOFP events).

They are little things. But they really don't matter. Logan is a great movie. I could care less if it and Deadpool 2, which is quite an enjoyable little movie in its own right, contradict each other, when they are both incredibly different and refreshing for this genre.

--John Adams
Old 06-14-2018, 09:50 AM   #29
Spider-Aziz
Death Match Taunt

Quote:
He has adamantium claws, and a deleted scene mentions him stabbing Jean moment from the Last Stand.

YOUTUBE
Michael Keaton's Batman is the ASMR master of superheroes.

The internet: You formed your personal opinion and liked something popular? You are part of the herd. You like something new and unpopular? Cult of the new.
Old 06-14-2018, 10:22 AM   #30
AVEITWITHJAMON
Cloud kicks ass

Quote:
Different actor playing Caliban than X-Men: Apocalypse, Richard E. Grant's father being the one to put "this ****" into Logan's skeleton (as opposed to Stryker), the fact that it claims no mutants have been born in 20 years and it being set in 2029 when we see lots of young mutants going to school at the end of Days of Future Past, plus the young mutants in Deadpool if you want to count those as part of the universe (and I tend to given the overlaps and how it is clearly affected by post-DOFP events).

They are little things. But they really don't matter. Logan is a great movie. I could care less if it and Deadpool 2, which is quite an enjoyable little movie in its own right, contradict each other, when they are both incredibly different and refreshing for this genre.
The thing is though, as DOFP changed the timeline, Grants characters Dad could have had a hand in putting the adamantium in Logan. He may have been part of the Weapon X programme as we don't see Logan going through the procedure in the new timeline. So that one didn't bother me.

1)Avengers: Infinity War-9.5(2)A Quiet Place-9(3)Black Panther-9(4)Deadpool 2-9(5)The Shape of Water-8.5(6)Ready Player One-8(7)Solo: A Star Wars Story-8(8)Jurassic World- Fallen Kingdom-7.5(9)Tomb Raider-7(10)Pacific Rim Uprising-7
Old 06-14-2018, 10:30 AM   #31
Erzengel
|-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

Quote:

Those are very little things.

In terms of WW and BvS, if you ask Snyder fans, WW doesn't contradict as "Diana worked in the shadows."

I don't mind minor issues and I get the whole, doing your own thing so you aren't boxed in, but personally you can't have the same character popping up in multiple movies and being drastically different.

Last edited by Erzengel; 06-14-2018 at 10:37 AM.
Old 06-14-2018, 11:15 AM   #32
Kahran Ramsus
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVEITWITHJAMON View Post
The thing is though, as DOFP changed the timeline, Grants characters Dad could have had a hand in putting the adamantium in Logan. He may have been part of the Weapon X programme as we don't see Logan going through the procedure in the new timeline. So that one didn't bother me.
Yeah, I took that one as him being a part of the team or something like that. It can be explained. Most of these things can be explained by the timeline changing. A casting change isn't a continuity issue at all. The no new mutants in 20 years is an issue, but a real minor one since there was just the one scene at the end of DOFP.

Basically these are all minor things, like "8 years later" in Spider-Man HC. I'm talking about major continuity issues. In particular, the decision to put all of the X-Men decades into the past creates a real problem going forward when they want films in the present. So you end up with a very obviously not middle-aged Havoc in Apocalypse and Quicksilver being the same teenager in his mother's basement that he was a decade earlier in the same film, and it ends up being completely not believable.

Old 06-14-2018, 12:45 PM   #33
AVEITWITHJAMON
Cloud kicks ass

Quote:
Yeah, I took that one as him being a part of the team or something like that. It can be explained. Most of these things can be explained by the timeline changing. A casting change isn't a continuity issue at all. The no new mutants in 20 years is an issue, but a real minor one since there was just the one scene at the end of DOFP.

Basically these are all minor things, like "8 years later" in Spider-Man HC. I'm talking about major continuity issues. In particular, the decision to put all of the X-Men decades into the past creates a real problem going forward when they want films in the present. So you end up with a very obviously not middle-aged Havoc in Apocalypse and Quicksilver being the same teenager in his mother's basement that he was a decade earlier in the same film, and it ends up being completely not believable.
Yeah can’t really argue with any of this. Personally I wanted the follow up to Apocalypse to take place 1 or 2 years after and I wanted them to do a quieter story, like Proteus, rather than jumping another 10 years forward and going straight into DPS again.

1)Avengers: Infinity War-9.5(2)A Quiet Place-9(3)Black Panther-9(4)Deadpool 2-9(5)The Shape of Water-8.5(6)Ready Player One-8(7)Solo: A Star Wars Story-8(8)Jurassic World- Fallen Kingdom-7.5(9)Tomb Raider-7(10)Pacific Rim Uprising-7
Old 06-14-2018, 12:49 PM   #34
Boy Scout
Side-Kick

How do y’all feel about the Aquaman pics (I’d post them myself, but I’m at work)?

IMO: Mera and Atlanna look fine (though I wouldn’t have gone with white for the latter’s color scheme); Black Manta’s helmet - assuming that’s the one he’ll wear for most of the film, which I doubt - looks ******; and I really would’ve liked another glimpse at Aquaman’s costume, because I’m over seeing Jason Momoa in skintight leather.

Old 06-14-2018, 12:56 PM   #35
Erzengel
|-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

I'll be honest, Aquaman has always been my least favorite Justice League member. After Batman, Superman, WW, Martian Manhunter, GL (Rayner, Stewart or Jordan), Flash (West or Allen), even Plastic Man, I still would put Aquaman at the bottom. So it's hard for me to get excited for an Aquaman movie. Who knows maybe Wan and do what Transformers did for Bumblebee, MCU did for a lot of their B and C list characters.

Old 06-14-2018, 12:59 PM   #36
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kt09 View Post
Not even close. Even the soulless Justice League movie kept to continuity more than I expected after Whedon came on board.

His addition of "league of our own" is tbd, but look at all these villain movies supposedly in development.
Quote:
This isn't a bad thing. I think there's a strong argument to be made for Logan being the best superhero movie of this decade, and it couldn't care less about continuity. Wonder Woman does not really line up that well with BvS. But if Jenkins' movie was forced to more mirror BvS' Diana, who would want a sequel?
Well, I'm just mostly looking at how they've handled the Big Three in their respective stories.

Seemed like Superman was hated but then it seems like he was beloved. He was supposed to be a first-contact story but we learn that aliens and all these super powered people were around way before that.

Batman was supposed to be like an urban legend but not at the same time. And then he's some crazy dude trying to kill Superman and now he wants to revive him. Dick is mostly likely dead but then we might being getting a Nightwing film anyway.

Wonder Woman left Man's World after the horrors on WWI but then she kinda didn't by staying in the shadows or whatever. Her boyfriend died but now he's back.

And who knows what else the other DC films will tell us about the history of their universe (based on whatever the writers and directors feel like doing)?

I was at some diplomatic party once. Got to talking to this princess who told me that when it came to Superman, I was missing the point. She told me, "His real strength lay in his generous spirit and sense of what's fair." - King Faraday

"
He’s much more of a working class superhero, which is why we ended the whole book with the image of a laboring Superman. He’s Everyman operating on a sci–fi Paul Bunyan scale." - Grant Morrison

"Self Portrait" By Batman
Old 06-14-2018, 01:05 PM   #37
Flint Marko
Bring me Thanos

The new Aquaman pics don't particularly wet my whistle but nothing from EW ever does.

Old 06-14-2018, 01:24 PM   #38
The Guard
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc View Post
It just infuriates me at the prospects because it means nothing in these stories matters. I want stories to matter, I want sacrifices to be made, I wan't lives to be put on the line, for there to be cuts and bruises because that's where heroism emerges from.
But all those things are still true.

He did sacrifice himself. His life was on the line. There was emotional fallout from his death.

I don't see how it undermines anything. In the moment, when the chips were down, he chose to sacrifice himself. It's not like he knew he'd be magically pulled into the 1980's when he chose to sacrifice himself.

-Me
Old 06-14-2018, 01:29 PM   #39
Spider-Fan
SHHFFL 2014 Champion
SHH! Global Moderator

I will see how Steve being in the movie plays out. Without context, I don't have an opinion. I am open to the idea of Steve being used by the gods for some purpose against Diana. But if he is just alive because reasons, yeah it is dumb.

Old 06-14-2018, 01:33 PM   #40
Flint Marko
Bring me Thanos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
I will see how Steve being in the movie plays out. Without context, I don't have an opinion. I am open to the idea of Steve being used by the gods for some purpose against Diana. But if he is just alive because reasons, yeah it is dumb.
Agreed. It could go either way at this point.

Old 06-14-2018, 01:54 PM   #41
Ninjablade
Stuck in a web

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erzengel View Post
I'll be honest, Aquaman has always been my least favorite Justice League member. After Batman, Superman, WW, Martian Manhunter, GL (Rayner, Stewart or Jordan), Flash (West or Allen), even Plastic Man, I still would put Aquaman at the bottom. So it's hard for me to get excited for an Aquaman movie. Who knows maybe Wan and do what Transformers did for Bumblebee, MCU did for a lot of their B and C list characters.
This is how I'm feeling about it. I have no particular interest in this movie and the new photos aren't really swinging me any way. Maybe a trailer will change that, not sure.

Not a fan of Mamoa though, so I don't think I'll ever fully get behind this character.

Old 06-14-2018, 02:01 PM   #42
Iceman
Infinity War!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guard View Post
But all those things are still true.

He did sacrifice himself. His life was on the line. There was emotional fallout from his death.

I don't see how it undermines anything. In the moment, when the chips were down, he chose to sacrifice himself. It's not like he knew he'd be magically pulled into the 1980's when he chose to sacrifice himself.
It doesn’t undermine what he did at all. He’s as much a hero and great character as ever. It just undermines the audience’s belief that a death will stay permanent. Next time they see WW lose someone close to her or even just be at the the threat of doing so, they aren’t going to trust it fully and that moment will be robbed of its impact. Even rewatching WW takes away the impact of his death if we know he comes back. It makes creating the illusion of stakes much harder when you created them well first time round, delivered on that, but now want to go back on it.

Old 06-14-2018, 02:15 PM   #43
OutOfBoose
Russian Hacker

It's like making Peggy young again so Cap can catch up with what he had to sacrifice for good of others.

We will see how they handle his return, assuming it's not trickery.

Builds your roofs of dead wood. Builds your walls of dead stone. Builds your dreams of dead thoughts. Comes crying laughing singing back to life, takes what you steal, and pulls the skins from your dead bones shrieking.
--Clay tablet in an abandoned Trickster temple
Old 06-14-2018, 02:17 PM   #44
Spider-Fan
SHHFFL 2014 Champion
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfBoose View Post
It's like making Peggy young again so Cap can catch up with what he had to sacrifice for good of others.

We will see how they handle his return, assuming it's not trickery.
Until proven otherwise, I am betting it is trickery.

Old 06-14-2018, 02:20 PM   #45
Boy Scout
Side-Kick

Yeah, I think there’ll be some sort of twist. If they were just bringing him back, no strings attached, they would’ve kept it a secret.

Old 06-14-2018, 02:23 PM   #46
OutOfBoose
Russian Hacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boy Scout View Post
Yeah, I think there’ll be some sort of twist. If they were just bringing him back, no strings attached, they would’ve kept it a secret.
I think they had no choice not to reveal him because ninja set photos appeared on the next day.

Builds your roofs of dead wood. Builds your walls of dead stone. Builds your dreams of dead thoughts. Comes crying laughing singing back to life, takes what you steal, and pulls the skins from your dead bones shrieking.
Old 06-14-2018, 02:30 PM   #47
Boy Scout
Side-Kick

I’m sure they would’ve been more than capable of hiding him if they’d really wanted to.

Old 06-14-2018, 02:36 PM   #48
OutOfBoose
Russian Hacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boy Scout View Post
I’m sure they would’ve been more than capable of hiding him if they’d really wanted to.
Only if they film entirely on a closed stage. They didn't hide Talia in TDKR and every fan knew what was coming a year before the release.

Old 06-14-2018, 02:48 PM   #49
Spider-Aziz
Death Match Taunt

I'm still not hyped for Aquaman, which is wrong on so many levels.

YOUTUBE
Michael Keaton's Batman is the ASMR master of superheroes.

The internet: You formed your personal opinion and liked something popular? You are part of the herd. You like something new and unpopular? Cult of the new.
Old 06-14-2018, 02:51 PM   #50
Zarex
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
Until proven otherwise, I am betting it is trickery.
My guess is tomfoolery.

Closed Thread